Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: NY Driver Responsibility Assessment Statement?

1. 08-06-2005 02:56 PM #1
      My son received and payed for a speeding ticket last year. And now we just received a Driver Responsibility Assessment Statement. States he accumulated 6 points on his driving record and must pay $300. Or he will loose his privilege to drive in New York. What kind of crap is this?
      Andrew I Johnson May 25, 1985 - September 30, 2011
      Permanently banned from MVWS. And CGW says I don’t play well with others.
      Auto to manual transmittion swap. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...l-Swap-FAQ-DIYhttp://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ight=cyclopath

2. 08-06-2005 04:05 PM #2
      Welcome to NY Law 101. Evidentally, NY doesn't take any crap, from out of state drivers. However, this is news to me. Good luck.

Vehicles
      07 Tomos Sprint
      08-06-2005 04:49 PM #3
      I've recieved letters home warning me of license suspension for previously resolved issues. NY is backed up for years with their traffic violations. More then likely, if your son has paid the fine, its just a matter of it still clearing through the system. Call the Albany DMV - which is the only place that can help you for sure and verify if everything is ok.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      Corrado
      08-06-2005 05:37 PM #4
      its quite possible.
      I received a suspension by letter because I accumulated 11 points on my license within a span of 18months. Thats a law in NY. 30 days suspension as result.
      So your 6points might have been in a designated time frame.
      Project Corrado RS: Keep Up
      MSD 12v VR6 coilpack setup/components For Sale: Here
      Other items for sale: Sparco, VR6 HVAC box, VR6 radiators, Mocal Oil Cooler: Here

Vehicles
      2002 Matchstick Red GTI VR6 & 2014 Candy White Beetle 2.5L
      08-06-2005 06:02 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by T0oDamnFast »
      I've recieved letters home warning me of license suspension for previously resolved issues. NY is backed up for years with their traffic violations. More then likely, if your son has paid the fine, its just a matter of it still clearing through the system. Call the Albany DMV - which is the only place that can help you for sure and verify if everything is ok.

i agree. this year i paid for tickets i got 3/4 years ago, and the reason they caught up to me is because i was transferring my license to CT...

Tania M Santos
      38Wfc · ig: @missveedub · flickr · Contributing Photographer for www.yogapantsandstance.com · www.s3mag.com · www.bas3line.co

6. 08-08-2005 09:56 AM #6
      This fine is in addition to the speeding ticket. Charged and payed for the speeding ticket and now he is fined for the fact he has 6 points on his license. Sounds like double jeopardy to me.
      Andrew I Johnson May 25, 1985 - September 30, 2011
      Permanently banned from MVWS. And CGW says I don’t play well with others.
      Auto to manual transmittion swap. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...l-Swap-FAQ-DIYhttp://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ight=cyclopath

7. Senior Member
      08-08-2005 03:15 PM #7
      my boy recieved a letter also saying he has to pay $300. He is a resident of ny. Basically, its a fine for messing up in the past. You have to pay it.

[quote]

What is a driver responsibility assessment?

In addition to any fines, fees, penalties, or surcharges that you pay for a traffic conviction, you must pay the driver responsibility assessment. The assessment is an amount that you must pay each year for three years. You pay the assessment to the DMV.

Who must pay a driver responsibility assessment?

You must pay the driver responsibility assessment if any of the following incidents occur:

you are convicted of an alcohol-related traffic violation and the violation occurred on or after November 18, 2004 (includes boats and snowmobiles); or
      you are convicted of a drug-related traffic violation and the violation occurred on or after November 18, 2004 (includes boats and snowmobiles); or
      a DMV hearing determines that you refused a chemical test and the refusal occurred on or after November 18, 2004 (includes boats and snowmobiles); or
      you receive six or more points on your driver record during a period of 18 months and the violations occurred on or after November 18, 2004.

How do I know if I must pay the driver responsibility assessment?

If you must pay an assessment, the DMV will send a statement to you. The statement will display the information that you will need to pay the assessment.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/D...about

Modified by steez at 2:26 PM 8-8-2005