Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: How to: Replacing the fuel pump on an ’03 Passat

Vehicles
      2010/VW/GTI
      08-20-2005 06:11 PM #1
      After removing the carpet, you will see a small circular access panel near the rear passenger tire. Remove the three screws, and you will see the access to the top of the fuel tank.

Clip the VW clamps on the hoses (already done in the above pic) and remove the lines. There may be a small amount of fuel in the lines, so have a towel handy.

After these lines are removed, I took a screw driver and hammer to the black "nut" cap. It just screws into the tank (clockwise = tight).

We had a problem removing the electrical plug on the top of the cap. It is not necessary to remove the plug, but will make it easier when disconnected the lines on the bottom of the cap.

In the next two photos, you can see the electrical connectors (the one that is not connected has a black plug) and the fuel and return lines.

The return line (seen the first pic) comes off nicely. The fuel line (don't have a good pics of this) does not. There is another VW clip on it that will have to be removed...

The electrical line (yellow connector) was zip tied to the fuel line. This was nice, since we disconnected both ends and otherwise would have dropped it in the tank.

Once you have the white cap removed, you can get to the fuel pump. You will need to turn it counter-clockwise to "unclick" it from its housing. Do this with grace and equal pressure as you do not want to crack the housing.

We ran into a problem trying to take the flexible fuel line off the white tank cap and the fuel pump. Two more VW clamps on this line that will have to be clipped. The connection on the fuel pump side (plastic) actually snapped.

We carefully removed the line from cap side and replace it with rubber fuel line from a local auto shop (1/4" IIR).

To put the new fuel pump in, just follow the instructions backwards

Be sure to dry all electrical connections and check all hose connectors before trying to start the car.

When you do start the car, make sure to "prime" the line by turning the ignition on and off a few times.

Vehicles
      Loaded 2012 BMW 550xi M-Sport, Previous owner of 5 Passat 4 Motions; including a W8 and 3.6
      08-20-2005 06:19 PM #2
      You should place this post on PassatWorld's Information forum!

Vehicles
      2010/VW/GTI
      08-20-2005 08:13 PM #3
      Quote, originally posted by The Swami »
      You should place this post on PassatWorld's Information forum!

done:
      http://www.passatworld.com/for...91108

4. 08-21-2005 12:03 PM #4
      How long do you think this would take if everything went smoothly?

Vehicles
      2010/VW/GTI
      08-29-2005 02:04 PM #5
      It could probably be done in about an hour/hour-and-a-half if all went well and you knew exactly what you were doing.

Vehicles
      2010/VW/GTI
      08-29-2005 02:05 PM #6
      Just make sure you get the black screw cap on TIGHTLY!!!!

As I found out before going to a show this weekend, if it is not on tightly, you will leak gas.

08-29-2005 02:17 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by WMD »
      How long do you think this would take if everything went smoothly?

...about four days and a trip to the hospital emergency room (for a few stitches) when it doesn't go smoothly. And after the fire dept leaves you'll have to call your auto & homeowners insurance to find out about your coverage as-well.

Modified by E36BMW at 11:20 AM 8-29-2005

Hers: 2013 Beetle Convertible - Tornado Red, Beige Top & Interior, Tiptronic
      Mine: 2012 Golf - Tornado Red, Titan Black Interior, Convenience Package, Tiptronic

Vehicles
      2010/VW/GTI
      08-29-2005 02:55 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by E36BMW »

...about four days and a trip to the hospital emergency room (for a few stitches) when it doesn't go smoothly. And after the fire dept leaves you'll have to call your auto & homeowners insurance to find out about your coverage as-well.

so tell me how you really feel...

I didn't blow anything up.

9. 08-29-2005 04:04 PM #9
      I'm on your side on this issue, jollyman. Thank you for an excellent writeup.

10. 08-29-2005 04:43 PM #10
      I agree with John...nice job on the write-up!

Vehicles
      2010/VW/GTI
      08-30-2005 12:35 AM #11
      Thanks...
      I figured I saved about $300 doing it myself.