Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Massive Oil leak. Manual Transaxle? Oilpan?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      1992 Jetta
      08-22-2005 03:49 AM #1
      1990 VW Jetta 5sp Manual

I was coming home tonight and once I got off the highway and into town I noticed that the clutch seemed to be sticking or at least what I think it would feel like for my clutch to stick. When gearing from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd etc the RPM's would be much higher like the gears werent being grabbed properly. This didnt happen everytime I geared down, but most of the time. Upon getting home I checked under the car and immediately noticed a pool of oil, the size of a small plate, on the ground and it was dripping from the inner most side (towards the center of the engine compartment) of the manual transaxle nearest what I believe is the oil pan. I'll take a picture tomorrow when I get my camera back from my roomate and it is actually light outside. I must admin that I do not know much about cars and I have looked through my Hayes manual and it suggests the following

1) Side gear shaft seal worn
      2) Excessive amount of lubricant in transaxle
      3) Loose or broken input gear shaft bearing retainer
      4) Input gear bearing retainer O-ring and/or lip seal damage

Can anyone make an assumption as to which of these it might be or if its something else also let me know what you might think it is. I rely heavily on my car for work yet I dont have a lot of coin to fix it. I thank you all in advance for reading and giving a possible solution.

Gumby

08-22-2005 04:31 AM #2
      Its prolly the the rear main seal on the engine. It seals the end of the crankshaft closest to the tranny. If its motor oil its leaking, thats it. Not fun to replace, as you have to drop the tranny....

Vehicles
      MKII Alpine White GTi 2.1 16V (in the works) | "MKVI" PGM 2.0L CR TDi Wagon
      08-22-2005 11:01 AM #3
      yea, mainseal, crankshaft seal, but try checking the gaskets as well, but the main seals is what i would check...is your oil pressure gaige buzzing/light blinking? try checking the switch/sending unit too...
      a bad day in a Volkswagen, is better than a good day in a Honda...

MKII Alpine White GTi 2.0/1 16V (in the works)
      MKVI PGM 2.0L 6MT TDi Wagon (daily driver)

SLAM-N-EURO'Z

Vehicles
      1990.5 Jetta VR6, 1991 Jetta Coupe VR6, 1991 GTI 16v, 2008 Subaru STI, Jazz Blue 20th
      08-22-2005 11:51 AM #4
      Is it gear oil or motor oil that leaked out? You should be able to tell based on smell.

The reason I ask is that you describe the clutch slipping...

A lot of times when 020 transmissions blow up the diff throws a rivet through the bellhousing and they leak gear oil onto the clutch causing it to slip.

Vehicles
      MKII Alpine White GTi 2.1 16V (in the works) | "MKVI" PGM 2.0L CR TDi Wagon
      08-22-2005 11:54 AM #5
      Quote, originally posted by nickinboston »
      Is it gear oil or motor oil that leaked out? You should be able to tell based on smell.

The reason I ask is that you describe the clutch slipping...

A lot of times when 020 transmissions blow up the diff throws a rivet through the bellhousing and they leak gear oil onto the clutch causing it to slip.

true dat

a bad day in a Volkswagen, is better than a good day in a Honda...

MKII Alpine White GTi 2.0/1 16V (in the works)
      MKVI PGM 2.0L 6MT TDi Wagon (daily driver)

SLAM-N-EURO'Z

6. Member
      Vehicles
      1992 Jetta
      08-22-2005 12:02 PM #6
      I havnt dealt with gear or motor oil much but I think it is gear oil as I drained the manual transaxle about a month ago and I am pretty sure the oil smells the same. Any idea what this might end up costing me?

08-22-2005 12:57 PM #7
      If its gear oil, better hope that its just the input shaft or pushrod seal. If you popped a rivet then you need a new trans. Make sure its gear oil first.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      1992 Jetta
      08-23-2005 01:41 AM #8
      Ok, I have a container of each gear and motor oil and it is definately gear oil based on smell. So it seems to be a tranny issue. Also, the oil light does come on when the car is first started but goes out after about 30 seconds. I can put the car into all gears without any issue and I moved the car from the front of my house to the back without any issues. Would the car do this if the tranny was gone or would it make more sense that a seal just went? I am just charging the batteries in my camera so I can take a snapshot of the area that is leaking. If it is possible that the car is able to go into gear and is driveable WITH a busted tranny can someone explain to me how that is possible. I'm quite new to this all and its great any info I can get,

Thanks to all that have responded.

Gumby

08-23-2005 08:08 AM #9
      Its possble to drive around with a busted seal but over time your trans will overheat and the synchos will wear out. Also since its most likely the input/pushrod seal, the clutch will get soaked with gear oil and eventually start slipping.

Vehicles
      1990.5 Jetta VR6, 1991 Jetta Coupe VR6, 1991 GTI 16v, 2008 Subaru STI, Jazz Blue 20th
      08-23-2005 09:11 AM #10
      Quote, originally posted by Gumby_ »
      Ok, I have a container of each gear and motor oil and it is definately gear oil based on smell. So it seems to be a tranny issue. Also, the oil light does come on when the car is first started but goes out after about 30 seconds. I can put the car into all gears without any issue and I moved the car from the front of my house to the back without any issues. Would the car do this if the tranny was gone or would it make more sense that a seal just went? I am just charging the batteries in my camera so I can take a snapshot of the area that is leaking. If it is possible that the car is able to go into gear and is driveable WITH a busted tranny can someone explain to me how that is possible. I'm quite new to this all and its great any info I can get,

Thanks to all that have responded.

Gumby

when my transmission SMS'd I was able to drive it around for more than a week with the clutch mostly just slipping from the gear oil getting on it. It started making some sounds after a while but I was totally able to drive it.

Vehicles
      '95 Ẽfini RX-7 Type R
      08-23-2005 10:24 AM #11
      It sounds like you got SMS'd. A seal goes out slowly, it doesn't blow it's load all at once.
      "It would take a cross-wired star trek replicator, if not an act of God, to make a left-hand-drive Skyline GT-R for the U.S." - Don Schroeder

12. Member
      Vehicles
      1992 Jetta
      08-23-2005 11:46 AM #12
      Its quite possible that the leak has been ther for some time. I did notice a bit of oil there when I changed the gear oil in the tranny. Now can someone tell me what "SMS'd" is?

Modified by Gumby_ at 8:48 AM 8-23-2005