Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TDI into a gas A2?

1. 01-18-2002 04:28 PM #1
      After driving a chipped '01 Jetta TDI, I was thinking that this might be an interesting swap into Project Gof, an '86 Golf I've been building up. However, other than a couple test drives, I know little about the TDI. I assume it would be like any engine update, where you need the motor, harness, and ECU, and since it would be a gas to diesel conversion, the fuel system too.

Has anyone done this swap into a gas car? I'm in the early information gathering stage right now, so I'm not looking for components yet. Just kind of curious about what would be involved.

The same message was posted by me in the Hybrid/Swap forum

01-18-2002 04:55 PM #2
      I posted a thread about it a few days ago. And new TDI is 150HP!

3. 01-18-2002 04:58 PM #3
      Interesting. I'll have to search for the post. I'm not necessarily worried about a brand-new TDI, since I believe the Upsolute chip will work on any TDI.

4. 01-18-2002 05:24 PM #4
      I get one A3 Tdi and it's realy fun to drive. Much torque at low RPM. You can upgrade performance adding chips from Upsolute. You can have more info on www.tdiclub.com of Jason crabtree Golf '92 TDI project.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=000022&p=

http://forums.tdiclub.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=000044&p=

http://forums.tdiclub.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=000092&p=

Be sure to have all parts needed and from the same car, you need: engine , tranny, ECU, wiring, Instrument cluster, fuse box, pedals, shifter and linkage...It's eassiest to put '97-99 A3 engine to an A2 car than 99.5 and earlier A4 TDI.

5. 01-18-2002 06:15 PM #5
      Another nice example of tuned diesel dub. this one has 1.6TD with fuel pump prepared be Oettinger and an Intercooler kit.

--------------------------------------
      Smokin in the new millenium!

6. 01-19-2002 09:06 PM #6
      I realy like this TD Oettinger Jetta Coupe.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      tdi mk4 beater, 91 hipster van
      01-19-2002 09:14 PM #7
      if hamster was here he would go nuts.
      Dirt-merchant world tour 2005'

nETL, DCI

Vehicles
      1998 Volvo V70 T5M, 2013 Honda Odyssey Touring
      01-19-2002 09:15 PM #8
      sig
      Volvo Expert/Master Tech

9. 01-19-2002 10:49 PM #9
      Take a look at this strange car. It's an Jetta with rear borowed from Golf, engine is an A3 TDI and has Synchro from Passat .

10. 01-20-2002 01:52 AM #10
      what happened to Hammy anyways? I've been away for a while

11. 01-20-2002 01:58 PM #11
      hammy would go nuts??!!! Man that should be MY CAR!!!! Hammy left for a 2 year mission....he left on monday.

12. 01-20-2002 03:05 PM #12
      Is the Hampster mormon? Where did he go? My friend went to Toreon, Mexico.

13. 01-20-2002 04:57 PM #13
      yeah he's mormon. As am I. He went to riverside Cali. I'll be leaving for my mission in about 3 months also

14. 01-21-2002 10:50 PM #14
      Jason Crabtree A2 Golf TDI.

From tdiclub forum:

Well so far things are going well. The engine bay needs a damn good clean and the car needs a wash so I can inspect the body work and do some touch ups. I made the decision to run it in the winter so I must deal with the consequences. This isn't a show car (didn't win the lottery so can't afford to do that). The interior still needs to be completed which will be a spring job as it is too cold out.
      This car hauls and I love it. Has a nice vibration to it at idle (although my better half doesn't like it). Since I only drive it the odd week night and on weekends, I'm still getting used to actually driving it but I smile every time I drive it and the fuel economy is icing on the cake.

The VR6 chin spoiler has a couple scrapes on in but is holding up. A little low and entering/exiting car parks must be taken with care.

A run down of non-standard equipment:
      2.5" Scorpion twin DTM tip cat-back exhaust
      Wett chip
      11" front brakes (RPI Wilwood kit)
      rear disc conversion (with cross drilled - overkill. love it )
      25mm ABD front sway
      28mm ABD rear sway
      Neuspeed front strut brace
      Hella blue rear lights
      Euro fenders with blue side light
      RPI twin 7" front euro lights
      JOM badgeless grill
      SWG grill spoiler
      VR6 Chin spoiler
      RPI K&N air filter and custom heatshield
      Poly bushings on the front control arms and rear strut towers
      Boge turbogas shocks
      Eibach springs
      Beesting antenna
      M3 repilca mirrors (with a cool blue tint)
      15" VW Passat rims with snows
      15" TSW Hock R's with 195/50 Pirreli P-700 (summer)
      Oil: Mobile Delvac 1
      Fuel: Sunoco diesel with Amsoil cetane boost & fuel conditioner (thanks Andy)
      Jazz Blue paint
      Alarm

Things to come:
      2.5" down pipe (details to follow)

Things I want but can't get due to morgage (grrrr.):
      Upsolute tuning box (help Tazz out)
      Quaife LSD
      sachs power clutch kit

Things I would do if I won the lottery:
      Remove engine and paint engine bay jazz blue as well.
      Roll cage
      A3 dash

That is pretty much it. I will be doing a sping cleaning (remove intercooler & plumbing to see how oily and need to replace dash bulbs) and hopefully put on a 2.5" downpipe. Have toyed with Upsolute chips, but right now no $$$. Donations gladly accepted.

Most work was done @ Ron's Parts (RPI) 604-944-0494. Thanks to Dustan, Andy, Warren and most of all Grame
      Paint & Body work: Walkerton Auto Collision (Randy & Paul)

Thanks
      J.

More about this TDI swap at:
      www.tdiclub.com

[Modified by VentoGTD, 8:04 PM 1-21-2002]

Vehicles
      2004 GLi, 97 GLX Turbo, 97 GLX beater
      01-21-2002 11:00 PM #15
      i think i just creamed on my self

02-14-2002 03:42 PM #16
      I'm doing this same swap this summer.... A2 TDI Jetta
      Question is, where to find a wrecked A3 TDI?

17. 02-14-2002 04:03 PM #17
      my idea is for an a1 Jetta TDI all pimped.... yummy

Vehicles
      2000 Audi A4 Sport 1.8T, 1987 GTI VR6
      02-14-2002 04:07 PM #18
      quote:

That was my question...i have been waiting for one for a while...my friend's shop has only gotten on in the past year and it had a messed up tranny! (they are very different gears)

Lucas Quintana
      I'm so e-code that my house is wired for 230V~50Hz and has "Schutzkontakt" outlets.

19. 02-14-2002 04:08 PM #19
      quote:
      I posted a thread about it a few days ago. And new TDI is 150HP!

north american or euro spec? euros have had the 150 hp version for a while now.

20. 02-14-2002 04:18 PM #20
      OK, the best thing about diesel is that you can convert any diesel engine to run off of straight used vegetable oil. That means never paying for gas again, and visiting a lot of burger joints! I met a guy who converted an old MBZ wagen into a veggie-oil burning touring machine and he showed me how it all works. There's a book called "From the frier to the fuel tank" that my friend got, we're seriously considering picking up an old diesel something or other this summer and driving cross-country or something... for free!

21. 02-14-2002 05:03 PM #21
      Interesting. I'll have to search for the post. I'm not necessarily worried about a brand-new TDI, since I believe the Upsolute chip will work on any TDI.

NO WAY you have to go for a new TDI well at least the newest model the otherones lack big time. The new ones are the only reason I even thought about teh TDI for my next jetta. Ive tested a few and we drove a audi tdi in the summer in europe for 2 months. My friend has the older one and is so slow.

22. 02-14-2002 05:14 PM #22
      I am currious how much do you think this conversion will cost?

23. Member
      Vehicles
      Wagon Queen Family Truckster (not the blue sport wagon)
      02-14-2002 05:16 PM #23
      quote:

That was my question...i have been waiting for one for a while...my friend's shop has only gotten on in the past year and it had a messed up tranny! (they are very different gears)

I might be wrong, but wouldn't a B4 Passat TDI motor work as well?

“The 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back because the Cold War's been over for 20 years,” ~ Barack Obama 2012

We are JIMP

24. 02-15-2002 12:07 PM #24
      bump

25. 02-15-2002 03:38 PM #25
      RPI sells used TDI motors. I looked into this last year when I was planning a G60 swap. The 1.6 Liter sells for $995 and up, and the 1.9L sells for $1995 and up. I think that this is a great idea! Good luck!
      http://www.rpi-equipped.com/usedparts.htm

This is the link to the site for RPI's used parts.
      -Patrick

26. 02-21-2002 10:11 PM #26
      <Quote>OK, the best thing about diesel is that you can convert any diesel engine to run off of straight used vegetable oil. That means never paying for gas again, and visiting a lot of burger joints!</Quote>
      Do you have more info about this? I have read (fairly extensively) about this, and all the information that I have read says that you have to mix the used veggie oil with lye and you get pure glycerine and "bio-diesel" from it... actually, there's a pretty cool site about an a1 jetta using bio-diesel...
      http://www.veggievan.org/biodiesel/gretta.html
      really interested by this whole idea...

thanks, d.

27. 02-22-2002 02:32 AM #27
      Welp, there's 2 ways of going about it. 1) you can make 'bio-diesel' as you mentioned so that you don't need to modify your car at all. There's a gas station or two in San Francisco that sell it at the pump.

2) you can modify your car to run on straight vegetable oil. Basically, when some dude named Rudolf Diesel debuted the diesel engine at the world's fair many moons ago, he intended it to be an alternative to an engine that needed fossil fuels, but rather an engine that could run on a variety of fules. So he debuted it running on Penut Oil. Veggie oil is just the same. The only problem with veggie oil is that it's too thick, so you need to get it heated up before it gets to your injectors, and you got to make sure it doesn't thicken up on its way from the tank to your engine or else you ended up with clogged hoses. So the common way of doing it is to run hoses from the cooling system to the veggie-oil tank to warm it up, and then run the veggie-fuel lines next to the hot engine cooling lines to keep it hot all the way to the engine. Also you need to coil a copper pipe running hot engine coolant around the fuel filter or else that thing will clog up too...

There's many ways of doing it, but the basic idea is to get the oil warm before it gets to the engine. I'd love to see a modern TDI busting out 150+hp on veggie oil. The car I saw it on was an old MBZ turbo wagen. Nice car for road tripping and you don't have to worry about how much ga$ it guzzles. The owner let me look under the hood and explained how it all works.

28. 02-23-2002 01:07 AM #28
      ahh isnt vegitable oil way more expensive than gas??????????
      Like a gallon to gallon ratio. This way you explain above does it recycle the vegi oil?

29. 02-23-2002 06:18 AM #29
      You use used vegetable oil. Like, hook up with restraunts and use the oil they throw out every week. The guy I spoke to with the MBZ wagon told me the dining hall at his campus in his college days used to dispose of 300 gallons of used veggie oil a week. If you're getting 30+ miles per gallon on a diesel engine... thats more veggie oil than you can even think of burning.

I'm not too sure, but I think most restraunts have to pay for someone to roll by in a big truck and tank away their used oil. You could probably hook up with the owners and see if they'll let you gank theirs, you'll probbaly end up doing them a favor. You can also do it ninja style and roll up to the back of the establishment and pump it out yourself

The point is that its USED veggie oil and it has to be disposed of somehow... So burn it... and get some TDI action out of it in the process!

Oh, BTW. Most veggie-oil conversions are setup to run both regular diesel and veggie oil, so you can run 'dual fuel'.

Vehicles
      Mk1, Mk2, Mk6
      02-23-2002 07:01 AM #30
      quote:
      You use used vegetable oil. Like, hook up with restraunts and use the oil they throw out every week. The guy I spoke to with the MBZ wagon told me the dining hall at his campus in his college days used to dispose of 300 gallons of used veggie oil a week. If you're getting 30+ miles per gallon on a diesel engine... thats more veggie oil than you can even think of burning.

I'm not too sure, but I think most restraunts have to pay for someone to roll by in a big truck and tank away their used oil. You could probably hook up with the owners and see if they'll let you gank theirs, you'll probbaly end up doing them a favor. You can also do it ninja style and roll up to the back of the establishment and pump it out yourself

The point is that its USED veggie oil and it has to be disposed of somehow... So burn it... and get some TDI action out of it in the process!

Oh, BTW. Most veggie-oil conversions are setup to run both regular diesel and veggie oil, so you can run 'dual fuel'.

I saw some thing on pbs about a vanagon doing the same thing

31. 09-13-2002 09:29 PM #31
      anyone have info in swapping a tdi into a a1 rabbit pickup ?

09-15-2002 11:26 PM #32
      my project is underway...i'm doing it the hard way though... ALH [MK4] TDI into an A2

http://darklotus.dyndns.org:85/A2TDI/

Vehicles
      1990.5 Jetta VR6, 1991 Jetta Coupe VR6, 1991 GTI 16v, 2008 Subaru STI, Jazz Blue 20th
      09-15-2002 11:28 PM #33
      i hear euro injectors and a chip will make a lot hp and even more torque in a the new TDs.

09-15-2002 11:34 PM #34
      quote:
      i hear euro injectors and a chip will make a lot hp and even more torque in a the new TDs.

you heard right

35. 01-04-2004 06:01 PM #35

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast