Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Time to "up" the 8-Valve

Vehicles
      Golf
      08-29-2005 07:54 PM #1
      Well my dad and i have been pretty happy just doing little things here and there on the Cabby, like wheels, suspension, stereo, etc. Now it is really time to get a move on, next season the budget is all engine parts. We have been looking around to see what's out there, and now I come to you fellas for some more suggestions.
      mostly we have only been pricing stuff out from Autotech, it's cheaper than i expected for the most part.
      Things we have considered so far:
      1. Autotech "Sport Tuned" Cat-back exhaust
      2. Autotech "Triple Y" header
      3. Autotech 270 degree cam
      4. K&N drop in filter replacement
      Things you might need to know:
      Car: 1988 Cabriolet with hydraulic lifter head.
      Budget: Anything reasonable (eg. no $1500 exhaust systems)

So what i need to know is:
      If the stuff I picked out so far is good stuff?
      What else should I look into?
      Any suggestions welcome, same with criticism and the like.
      Thanks guys!!!
      here is the car I am talking about

Vehicles
      diesel grandpa truck, n/a diesel jetta, and too many motos
      08-29-2005 09:40 PM #2
      a header will be super noisy- okay at first but it sucks on long trips. i'd go with a cat back system with a dual outlet downpipe (i'm partial to TT as they are local and have great products), cam, and a chip if you are willing to run premium gas. upgraded motor mounts will help get the power down, and a shift kit from missinglinkz really improves general drivablilty.

Vehicles
      81 rabbit, 04 R32
      08-29-2005 09:53 PM #3
      you can look into the tt tuning exhaust as well as it is priced about the same. some dont like the autotech due to the lack of the extra silencer and the "raspberrys" but i love mine. as far as the header is concerned its all down to taste and driving style. i have run the tri-y header from autotech and loved it but it broke due a faulty mount. so i would have to concur about getting new mounts first. i also ran the tt downpipe but swapped it out for a four into one header as i do a lot of highway driving so i was looking for more top end. it is louder but i dont drive a rabbit for a comfy ride! another poer option is a 2L aba block as they can be found fairly cheap these days. last but not least a good tune up will always work miracles on a high mile car. invest in a good quality set of plug wires, dont skimp here. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      Golf
      08-30-2005 01:37 AM #4
      Thanks guys for the info. I am overwhelmed by how much stuff is available for these engines.
      For sure gonna check out the TT stuff.
      Here's the part where I sound like a newb: Can i chip it? it is CIS car not a Digifant.
      We just did a recent tune up on the car, made a world of difference! Changed the timing belt set it to 8 degrees like the Bentley says, changed the wires, rotor, cap, and adjusted the fuel pressure. A friend of mine said that if i up the fuel pressure to around 110 lbs instead of the stock 80lbs it will pull harder in the high rev range.
      The car is fairly low miles below 150K Km or around 110k miles. I guess? And premium is alright by me, it doesn't get a whole lot of miles put on it so being super comfortable isn't an issue either. But on the flip side I don't want obnoxious loud.
      thanks again guys
      -matt

Vehicles
      diesel grandpa truck, n/a diesel jetta, and too many motos
      08-30-2005 02:13 AM #5
      ah, no... my mistake. i thought 88' went to digi on the cabbys, if it's cis there is no chip available.

6. 08-30-2005 02:16 AM #6
      Nah you cant get a chip for it
      You should run way more advance than 8 degrees. Thatll make a real difference in power right there. If you run high octane you can run twice the advance as you got now easily.
      TT has good exhausts but all 3 that ive had fit like crap. Although id still buy another from them cause they rule as a company. I once had an Autotech exhaust on a cabby and it fit PERFECT.

7. 08-30-2005 03:14 AM #7
      I'm running the Autotech tri-y header in my 86 cabby w/Autotech 2" hi-flow cat and 2" cat back exhaust. It's sounds great and really woke the car up. I like the G-grind cam running 4 deg advance myself no loss of low end torque. Autotech makes great products and their service is second to none. Next week doing a P&P and 5 way valve job, new dual valve springs along w/ raising C/R from 8.5:1 to 10.0:1. Good luck w/the cabby she looks sweeet.

8. Awaiting Email Confirmation the12for12's Avatar
      08-30-2005 08:42 AM #8
      I prefer torque over HP, so I'm running a "high flow" cat with 2" plumbing attached to a cheap Autozone turbo muffler. With monthly oil changes of 20W50 and periodic tuneups - this rabbit can hang with my carbed beast for a few gears ( and that's with my wife driving )
      In my opinion, maximize flow out of the motor before cracking the lid to swap in a cam.
      I have tri -y, 4 into 1, and longer down pipes in my inventory, and believe me you may want to test drive the parts before buying.

Modified by the12for12 at 8:45 AM 8-30-2005

9. 08-30-2005 08:48 AM #9
      don't know if that Autotech exhaust is stainless, but if you shell out the extra dough for one.. It will last you forever.

Vehicles
      Golf
      08-30-2005 09:55 AM #10
      Quote, originally posted by deathhare »
      Nah you cant get a chip for it
      You should run way more advance than 8 degrees. Thatll make a real difference in power right there. If you run high octane you can run twice the advance as you got now easily.
      TT has good exhausts but all 3 that ive had fit like crap. Although id still buy another from them cause they rule as a company. I once had an Autotech exhaust on a cabby and it fit PERFECT.

Yeah my friend told me to advance it to 12 degrees and run premium. I figured I would wait a bit until I got everything installed.
      So TT is great stuff but doesn't fit well? That is a concern as well, I am not a real great fabrication man; I know practice makes perfect, but if I can avoid it I will.
      So what I am gathering so far is: Autotech is good stuff, but is loud. Which is fine by me, just as long as it is nice loud and not flatulant loud.
      Thanks for the input and the props!!

11. 08-30-2005 06:53 PM #11
      Hello Matt, I don't think that the Autotech exhaust is loud is has a deep rasppy sound to it. Call and talk to Ryan at Autotech 800-553-1055 8-5 PST he's a great guy with knowledge at VW's. I think that you'll be very happy with their products.
      Mark

Modified by mktracy at 10:17 PM 8-30-2005

12. 08-30-2005 07:47 PM #12
      go with techtonics tuning exhaust

13. 08-31-2005 01:31 AM #13
      Quote, originally posted by deathhare »
      .octane you can run twice the advance as you got now easily.
      TT has good exhausts but all 3 that ive had fit like crap. .

Woah Really? out of 9 or 10 TT exhaust systems I have installed on a1's, a2's, a3's, corrados ect.... All have been the best fitting exhausts i have ever seen. I happily ordered a 16v race downpipe and 2.25 exhaust for my cabby from them last month and again I was blown away by the fit and quality. Are you buying from TT or someone who sells there stuff? Call them up and discuss your problems I KNOW they will help you out. they are the best [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

14. Member
      Vehicles
      1956 IH S-110 Hot rod, 1973 Morris Mini 1000, 1990 VW Jetta GL
      08-31-2005 01:40 AM #14
      I have the TT. Fit perfect, and I love the sound. Not to loud but still a nice deep purrrrrr.

Vehicles
      61 Bug, 14 GTI, 91 Ecodiesel, 95 F150
      08-31-2005 07:25 AM #15
      finishing installing this tuff this saturday: diesel dual manifold... tt cat/02 downpipe... fox intake manifold... a2 TB... Autotech 270 Cam... I always run at least 93 Octane and my base timing right now is about 10 deg. advance with no pinging... with the new cam I'm going to try to advance it a little more but I don't want too much total timing... so I'm trying to stay under like 36 deg. total...
      http://instagram.com/bmoyer83/ Follow me on Instagram @bmoyer83

16. 08-31-2005 07:53 AM #16
      I have the cure for what ales you. Here is my post in the engine classifieds.http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2164264
      It is a complete drop in.

17. 08-31-2005 02:07 PM #17
      ^^^ good guy [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] and a 2.0 bottom end is a good way to go.
      other thoughts:
      while the cam is out swap to lightweight retainers and lifters and put in heavy duty springs. consider an adjustable cam gear to hone the power band. with dyno time you might also find a few extra horses.
      for improved throttle response get an audi 5000 / digi cabby / A2 throttle body, and also do the home depot motorsports airbox mod (or get a scirocco 16v lower air box which has a larger inlet)
      i've heard the 1.6 distributors have a better timing advance curve but never tried it. might be lucky and get one on eBay or at a junk yard
      if you feel like some extra effort when replacing motor mounts or bottom end, consider a lightweight flywheel.

Modified by -vertigo- at 11:09 AM 8-31-2005

Vehicles
      Golf
      09-01-2005 12:49 AM #18
      Quote, originally posted by -vertigo- »
      ^^^ good guy [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] and a 2.0 bottom end is a good way to go.
      other thoughts:
      while the cam is out swap to lightweight retainers and lifters and put in heavy duty springs. consider an adjustable cam gear to hone the power band. with dyno time you might also find a few extra horses.
      for improved throttle response get an audi 5000 / digi cabby / A2 throttle body, and also do the home depot motorsports airbox mod (or get a scirocco 16v lower air box which has a larger inlet)
      i've heard the 1.6 distributors have a better timing advance curve but never tried it. might be lucky and get one on eBay or at a junk yard
      if you feel like some extra effort when replacing motor mounts or bottom end, consider a lightweight flywheel.

Modified by -vertigo- at 11:09 AM 8-31-2005

I might think of replacing the flywheel, as i was considering doing the 5th gear diesel swap (I think it's called the 7A, not sure though) to improve my highway mileage. If I can find a throttle body I will for sure go for that! I forgot about the throttle body. Some guys are drilling holes in their air-box, is that the home depot mod you are talkin about?
      and
      Quote, originally posted by vwjodi »
      I have the cure for what ales you. Here is my post in the engine classifieds.http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2164264
      It is a complete drop in

how much would it end up costing me by the time it gets to Canada? You got a lot of nice stuff there! I don't really wanna completely tear apart the engine, If I end up taking the engine out I want to fill the hole with a 16 valve.

Modified by 82diesel at 5:51 AM 9-1-2005

Modified by 82diesel at 5:52 AM 9-1-2005

19. 09-01-2005 02:00 AM #19
      swiss-cheesing the airbox makes no difference other than increasing the volume of your car, and perhaps robbing a few BHP when the engine bay gets hot.
      TB mod. requires a light porting of the intake. easy to do with a dremel.
      HD M-sports intake is some 3" aluminum dryer tube, a length of 3" drainage pipe, and some silicone. there was a thread on how to make one recently but i'm damned if i can find it.

20. 09-03-2005 04:31 PM #20
      Hey MAtt, hows the car coming along. What did you decide on for header and exhaust system.

Vehicles
      Golf
      09-19-2005 12:01 AM #21
      Well I dunno, man nothing yet just kind of mulling it all over still. it seems like i am looking at like $1300 or more in parts for the 8 valve, and would end up with 130whp or probably less. My VW go-to-guy told my dad that he would sell him a 2.0L 16V out of a Passat for $500. So now that is added to the list of things to consider. Also to consider is the parts for the 16valve are a lot more expensive than the 8.
      So I dunno man.......too many things to think about, maybe i'll just do the 5th gear swap and call it a day.
      I got like six months of time to make up my mind anyways.
      -matt

For advertising information click HERE