Maybe we should have a sticky thread on performing the readiness test on a variety of engines. Though this is not the procedure for your car, the generic title you've got serves to become such a thread.
This is the procedure for the AWV, though I would think it would be the same for APH, AWD, AWW, and AWP as well (MkIV transverse 1.8T) -- someone with Bentleys for those engine codes can confirm:
1. Turn on car but do not start engine.
2. Connect VAG-COM and go to 01 - Engine Module
3. Clear DTCs
4. Perform Basic Settings, Group 060 - Throttle Body Alignment
5. Start the engine
6. Go to Measuring Block Group 034
7. Wait or rev engine around 2200 RPM until catalytic converter is over 350 degrees C
8. Perform Basic Settings, Group 034 while revving between 1800-2200 RPM - O2 Sensor Aging Test
9. Go to Measuring Block Group 046
10. Wait or rev engine until cat is over 440 deg. C
11. Perform Basic Settings, Group 046 while revving between 1800-2200 RPM - Catalytic Converter Test
12. Perform Basic Settings, Group 077 with engine at idle - Secondary Air System Test
13. Perform Basic Settings, Group 070 with engine at idle, if Reed Op. shows briefly open and close gas cap then repeat test - EVAP System Test
Modified by paultakeda at 1:03 PM 9-18-2005