Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to buy car out of state and get home?

1. 09-13-2005 10:31 PM #1
      CLers, I'm stumped by a situation that I'm about to get myself into. I am looking to purchase a car from an individual seller in another state. Maryland requires I have the title in hand to get temp tags in order to drive the car but yet i can't get the title and the car to my house without driving it back.

Is there another way around this or a loophole?

Should I say FUNK IT!! and insure it and drive it home to my garage without tags and deal with things normally from there?

I'm crazy like Elvis! I'll do it, I swear!

Vehicles
      2013 Civic SI
      09-13-2005 10:34 PM #2
      I say go for it and drive it home.....just obey all traffic laws and you should be golden. Thats what i plan to do.

Vehicles
      1995 Sport 90 Quattro, 1991 Coupé Quattro
      09-13-2005 10:35 PM #3
      Contact the state you are buying in and see if you can get a temp tag from them.
      Ed Hankin *All posts subject to inaccuracy due to multi-tasking and autocorrect.
      1PissedOff90 1995 Sport 90 Quattro with too much to list
      1991 Audi Coupe Quattro 7aT Holset, VEMS, ETC

4. 09-13-2005 10:36 PM #4
      Quote, originally posted by Mcstiff »
      Contact the state you are buying in and see if you can get a temp tag from them.

BING! Never thought of that one. I'll give ol Jersey a call in the morning. Thanks it's worth a shot.

5. 09-13-2005 10:38 PM #5
      I was under the impression it was legal to drive home from buying a car without plates, as long as you take the most direct route possible.

Vehicles
      '11 WRX
      09-13-2005 10:42 PM #6
      Quote, originally posted by Livnlow »
      Should I say FUNK IT!! and insure it and drive it home to my garage without tags and deal with things normally from there?

how many states away is it? depending on possible fines and what not you could incur if you get caught, it might just be cheaper to have the thing towed? do you have AAA+? i think 50 bucks a year gets you 100 miles for free, and a dollar per mile after that.

plus, nothing would suck more than getting in an accident that you couldnt avoid (hit a deer maybe? hit and run driver?) and having your insurance company decide not to cover you b/c you didnt have tags yet.

7. 09-13-2005 10:45 PM #7
      As a Maine resident I purchased a car in NY, registering it to Maine. I had to get a 10 day in-transit plate for NY which gave me enough time to drive it to Maine and formally register it. The in-transit plate didn't cost much and wasn't too tough to get.

Laws vary by state, but I'd at least look into doing it the legit way, it might not be all that inconvenient. You could just throw on a plate from another car so that you're not driving plate-less, but if a cop pulls up behind you at a light you're going to be sweating bullets wondering if he's running your numbers.

8. Banned
      09-13-2005 10:47 PM #8
      I'm crooked as a two-dollar bill, so I'd just stick the plate from my current car on it and drive it back without breaking any traffic laws, as to minimize chances of being pulled over. But whatever you do, make sure to get insurance

Vehicles
      1995 Sport 90 Quattro, 1991 Coupé Quattro
      09-13-2005 10:59 PM #9
      IF its in S Jersey you could take the ferry and cut down on time on the road along with avoiding most of the metropolitan areas between Waldorf MD and NJ (unless the ferry people frown on cars w/o plates)

Modified by Mcstiff at 9:01 PM 9-13-2005
      Ed Hankin *All posts subject to inaccuracy due to multi-tasking and autocorrect.
      1PissedOff90 1995 Sport 90 Quattro with too much to list
      1991 Audi Coupe Quattro 7aT Holset, VEMS, ETC

10. 09-13-2005 11:04 PM #10
      I see people drive cars with no tags on them all the time. Not even "Plates were stolen" signs or anything, just no tags. No one seems to care.

Hell maybe stick a "Plates were stolen tag" on it and drive it. Can cops from one state check plates of ones from another to see if they are still valid or not?

Vehicles
      Land Rovers - Audi
      09-13-2005 11:38 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by FourthGenHatch »
      Can cops from one state check plates of ones from another to see if they are still valid or not?

yes

VW/Audi/German Car T-Shirts - CHEAP ----> http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...7#post82955767

12. Senior Member
      09-13-2005 11:58 PM #12
      Start by reading the web sites of the DMVs of the state you live in, the state the car is registered in, and all of the states you will drive through on the way home.

13. 09-14-2005 12:41 AM #13
      Couple of options for you.

First I am a Dealer! So I could assist for a nominal fee & if fairly close by.

Second. The current owner could sign the title over to say a relative and provide a bill of sale/receipt. Once done, he/she could then apply for temp tags in that particular state and you are home free w/car, temp tags and new title (possibly in hand depending on that State's policy). Some MVA's/DMV's will produce the title while doing your transaction and give in hand.

Good luck.

Vehicles
      2005 Subaru Legacy Outback
      09-14-2005 12:42 AM #14
      When I sold my Corrado to a guy in Salt Lake City, I got 20-day temp tags for him (the tags on the plate were expired).
      - Austin

15. 09-14-2005 01:12 AM #15
      Just put your foot to the floor and drive it home as quickly as possible.

Just cover the front end and mirrors with blue painter's tape before you start driving.

16. Banned
      09-14-2005 01:16 AM #16
      So that actually works?

17. 09-14-2005 01:20 AM #17
      Well it doesn't stop everything but it's better than nothing.

Gravel at 150mph is bad.

09-14-2005 01:49 AM #18
      I think most states will issue you a temp tag if you have a valid insurance policy on another car since there is a 30 day "grace" period that covers your recent car purchase. Well thats how it works in my state anyways.

Vehicles
      90 Miata, 13 Leaf
      09-14-2005 02:01 AM #19
      When I had someone come from NJ to buy my car, he paid with a check (it was a weekend). So I kept the title, signed a bill of sale and let him drive to NJ on my plates. he sent the plates back and when the check cleared I sent the title. In retrospect, had something happened, insurance would have been a bear to deal with!
      1990 Miata
      2013 Leaf
      2018(No, Really!) Locost 247

Vehicles
      2011 GTI, 2002 S60, 1963 356
      09-14-2005 02:07 AM #20
      You have a Jeep Liberty, what about renting a U-Haul trailer to tow it back?

-pic to show the trailer
      Quote Originally Posted by jamie@vwvortex View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

09-14-2005 02:11 AM #21
      Quote, originally posted by gtivr4 »
      When I had someone come from NJ to buy my car, he paid with a check (it was a weekend). So I kept the title, signed a bill of sale and let him drive to NJ on my plates. he sent the plates back and when the check cleared I sent the title. In retrospect, had something happened, insurance would have been a bear to deal with!

I let a guy drive with my plates when I sold my truck. I got my plates back plus I recieved a notice that I had 2 unpaid parking tickets at New Mexico State University AFTER I had sold the truck. I went down to parking, explained the situation, showed them my bill of sale and they dismissed the tickets.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      '00 Jetta TDI, '86 Cabby
      09-14-2005 02:11 AM #22
      I bought a car in L.A. and drove it to Denver. All I had was a signed title, and I made sure to insure it before driving. I think that would be enough for a reasonable cop, especially if you don't play the fool behind the wheel.

Vehicles
      2001 MB W210 Wagon, 1996 4Runner Manual Bro'd-Out
      09-14-2005 02:12 AM #23
      does your states dmv not offer a 1 days vehicle moving permit (differnt then temp tag)? Thats how we brink home cars with no registration.

09-14-2005 03:10 AM #24
      I drove my RX7 from Florida to Georgia (through Alabama) with a 4-month-expired temp tag. (Speed limit....tinted windows.....etc) No problems except I blew the Air Control Valve...damn emissions...I ripped all that out the next week anyway.

As far as insurance, I was told by my insurance company that I was covered for 30 days after purchasing a car without adding it to my policy. Naturally I added it as soon as I got home, but they allow for transportation and things like that.

MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

25. Member
      Vehicles
      01 GMC Sonoma
      09-14-2005 04:53 AM #25
      I drove from GA to FL with a used car purchase. Just obey the traffic laws and have the bill of sale and title with you. I also insured it ahead of time in case there was a problem on my return trip. Do all of that and you should be just fine.

26. 09-14-2005 06:24 AM #26
      Be sure to get a BILL OF SALE (you can even print one off the internet) signed by both parties. That should suffice as a registration equivalent document until you get the car home and registered. How are you buying a car w/o a title. Unless it's a dealer, I would NOT buy a car from anyone who cannot sign the title over to me when the deal is complete. If it's a situation of the seller needing the $$$ to get the title from the bank, then give them a cashiers check, and wait for them to get the title, b/c w/o the title in hand, you have no way of knowing whether they legitimately own the car, or the bank still owns it.

27. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 manual TDI JSW; 1997 VW Passat sedan VR6 5-speed;
      09-14-2005 07:30 AM #27
      Quote, originally posted by vduBen »
      I'm crooked as a two-dollar bill

Uhmmm, totally OT to the thread, but a two-dollar bill is legal tender.
      See http://www.treas.gov/education...ml#q5

It's got Thomas Jefferson on the front. When my wife & I went to Monticello a few years back, admission was $9, so of course the change I got back for my 20 was a $2 bill.

2012 base manual TDI JSW
      Retired: 1997 VR6 Passat 5-speed -- 331k+ miles

28. Vortex Media Group Staff Tim@VMG's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI Autobahn
      09-14-2005 07:39 AM #28
      You can get a one day temp tag in Maryland for the purpose you describe. Instructions on doing it are on the MVA's website.

-Tim

The artist formerly known as SilverSLC
      Forum Rules | How To Use vBulletin

VWVortex | Fourtitude | INR8 | Kilometer Magazine | Swedespeed
      "When you're traveling at lower speeds, and by lower speeds I mean anything under 120 miles per hour..." -Allan McNish

29. 09-14-2005 07:52 AM #29
      Quote, originally posted by SilverSLC »
      You can get a one day temp tag in Maryland for the purpose you describe. Instructions on doing it are on the MVA's website.

-Tim

Tim, got a link? I used search and looked through the normal Vehicle Services area.

30. 09-14-2005 07:58 AM #30
      Quote, originally posted by Roverdude »
      Be sure to get a BILL OF SALE (you can even print one off the internet) signed by both parties. That should suffice as a registration equivalent document until you get the car home and registered. How are you buying a car w/o a title. Unless it's a dealer, I would NOT buy a car from anyone who cannot sign the title over to me when the deal is complete. If it's a situation of the seller needing the $$$ to get the title from the bank, then give them a cashiers check, and wait for them to get the title, b/c w/o the title in hand, you have no way of knowing whether they legitimately own the car, or the bank still owns it.

I never said the seller didn't have the title. What I said is MD requires me to walk into the DMV with the title in order to get tags and be allowed to drive the car. The problem is that I'd need to drive to NJ, buy the car and get the title, drive back to MD and register it, drive again to NJ to place tags on car, then drive the car back to MD. NOT GON DO IT!

31. 09-14-2005 08:00 AM #31
      Quote, originally posted by chucchinchilla »
      You have a Jeep Liberty, what about renting a U-Haul trailer to tow it back?

-pic to show the trailer

Never installed a hitch. It's the wife's ride and I'm not allowed to play with it. Won't even let me tint the front 2 windows to match the factory tinted rear ones!

Although I do recall UHaul renting them so maybe I'll check that out.

32. Vortex Media Group Staff Tim@VMG's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI Autobahn
      09-14-2005 08:30 AM #32
      Quote, originally posted by Livnlow »
      Tim, got a link? I used search and looked through the normal Vehicle Services area.

Hmmm....
      I think I was talking about this...
      http://www.marylandmva.com/Veh...g.htm

But now that I look at it, that might not help you, since it appears that you have to have the title.

This is a tough one. I've bought cars from in Maryland before, and just drove it on the other person's tags on the way to the MVA or whatever. Don't know what to do here...

-Tim

The artist formerly known as SilverSLC
      Forum Rules | How To Use vBulletin

VWVortex | Fourtitude | INR8 | Kilometer Magazine | Swedespeed
      "When you're traveling at lower speeds, and by lower speeds I mean anything under 120 miles per hour..." -Allan McNish

33. 09-14-2005 09:19 AM #33
      BING! NJ said they would issue me 20 day Temp Tags for $10. Big ups to NJ and a big MIDDLE FINGER up to MD!!

Vehicles
      1 'rado, 4 mk3's, 13 mk2's, 3 audis, 2 e30's, e36M3, all sold. current:3 bikes and a mk3 trunk
      09-14-2005 09:34 AM #34
      Quote, originally posted by Ian Rogers »
      I was under the impression it was legal to drive home from buying a car without plates, as long as you take the most direct route possible.

WRONG!!!! i speak from expierience.. 9 hours, 700 miles, and less than 5 miles from my destination, i was pulled over for having no tags, although i had bill of sale in hand and all proof it was my car, the pig accused me of STEALING the car(as if i would take the tags off????) and impounded it. i fought this on court and won, cas was thrown out and i didn't even have to pay court costs buuuut it still sucked... after saying this, yea i'd try it again, and i'd say go for it!! not all cops are as non reasonable as that jerk.

35. Member
      Vehicles
      A3 Pilot S2K
      09-14-2005 09:44 AM #35
      Quote, originally posted by vduBen »
      I'm crooked as a two-dollar bill, so I'd just stick the plate from my current car on it and drive it back without breaking any traffic laws, as to minimize chances of being pulled over. But whatever you do, make sure to get insurance

What he said...and I've done this 5+ times!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast