Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Rear Lap Belts and Children

Vehicles
      '89 Cabby ABA/16vT, '89 Cabby, '94 E420 (RIP), '05 C55
      09-20-2005 04:37 PM #1
      My Cabby only has the lap belts in the rear and I'm trying to come up with a safe setup for my daughters (ages 2 and 5). My youngest, Samantha is still in a car seat that has it's own belts. Her car seat requires running the seatbelt through the back of it. Will that be safe with just the lap belt running through the back of it? My older daughter, Lauren is in a booster seat that doesn't have it's own belts. She is defintely not safe with just the lap belt. I had been thinking of installing the 3-point belts from a later model Cabby but found that they don't just bolt in and require welding. I was considering purchasing some Schroth harnesses and bolting them into the stock lap belt mounting points as well as the rear bulkhead between the suspension towers. After looking at some of their diagrams with the recommended anchor points I'm not sure the rear bullkhead would be a suitable anchor point.
      Has anyone else figured out a way to safely strap your kids into your Cabby?
      Thanks,

2. 09-20-2005 05:06 PM #2
      The safest way, I think, would be to go with three-point belts. Harnesses are great but - as you say - it's tough to know the best anchor point. Best not to experiment with these things.
      If you can get the brackets and belts from a later cabby then head down to a local GTG and ask who does welding. Somebody will put the brackets in exchange for a case of beer. As an alternative, you could post your welding request in the tri-state forum.

3. 09-20-2005 06:35 PM #3
      I toyed with the same thing - lap belts are safer than no belts (in most cases), but not as safe as 3-point belts. You're right, welding is the only great way fo 3-points, but the wender had better be god as they'd be welding on an old piece of sheet metal - not that thick. A safe alternative would definitely be harness belts with some form of ratcheting device. These could be easily secured to the rear bumper bolts - they're plenty strong and won't pull through the body like a through-bolt could. Still, there is nothing holding the belt "up" - in a major frontal impact the belt would be pulled forward and down, possibly crushing whatever the belt is holding in.
      I also toyed with Passat rear belts - these could be bolted to the backside of the reat strut brace as the angle is right, and the strut brace material is fairly think steel (washer it to make sure, always use Grade 8 hardware or the equivalent in metric). Still, the problems then arise with belt routing. Directly over the top of the seat risks crushing the kids in a hard impact, since the belt would only have the seat frame holding it up (seat framing not designed for that sort of stress).
      An alternative for both would be getting a sturdy strut-tower-top bar of some kind and routing the belt over that. OR... having someone weld in a "real" belt bar (a "roll bar"
      material bar between the tops of the rear strut towers would do) and securing harnesses or belts to that.
      Do let us know what you do - I'm driving carefully and running lap belts...

4. 09-21-2005 08:36 AM #4
      My daughter is still in a car seat. I welded "rings" or "loops" in the crack of the seat (between back and bottom there is no crack in the seat LOL) similar to the ones found in newer cars for the Latch system. I also anchor the top tether on the seat to the bulkhead between the shock towers. Since the tether is anchored to the back of the car seat and not to the harness in the car seat, I don't have to worry about spine compression. (like when you mount a harness too low) I hope this helps with half your problem.

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike
      09-21-2005 09:21 AM #5
      I'm toying with this, too. My take was to add a rear strut tower bar and anchor harnesses to that as my kids are still small enough to not worry about compression incidents. Plus, I think they would get a huge kick out of the harnesses!
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, Den Mother - Team Emmett

Vehicles
      1984 Rabbit Convertible;1990 Cabriolet;1967 Beetle(Fred)R.I.P.
      09-21-2005 09:32 PM #6
      I installed a four point harness from wesco performance for my daughter(she's only three) I then took the car to the local state police barracks and had thier seat belt expert look at what I did and he was impressed enough to ask for any info I had so he could offer it as a suggestion to any one else that might have a similar prob.
      When I can get a chance, It'll have to be saturday, I'll take pics and post them. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      I'm not prejudiced...I hate everyone equally.

Lights timed for 45mph are also timed for 90!

Vehicles
      1981 Rabbit Pickup, 1990 Cabriolet, 1993 Corrado VR6 (up for sale)
      09-21-2005 09:49 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by Richthecopyguy »
      I installed a four point harness from wesco performance for my daughter(she's only three) I then took the car to the local state police barracks and had thier seat belt expert look at what I did and he was impressed enough to ask for any info I had so he could offer it as a suggestion to any one else that might have a similar prob.

[IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      See, all PA State Police aren't bad! I don't know why everyone always
      has a problem with them

8. 09-22-2005 12:02 AM #8
      Quote, originally posted by dixonL2 »
      An alternative for both would be getting a sturdy strut-tower-top bar of some kind and routing the belt over that. OR... having someone weld in a "real" belt bar (a "roll bar"
      material bar between the tops of the rear strut towers would do) and securing harnesses or belts to that.

See, that what I was thinking about doing in Cabbymomma's car. We need to get somethinkg in there for our daughters (4 and 2 1/2). I was going to bend up a 1 1/2" piece of .095 mild steel and have it run right behind the top of the rear seat and then weld it to the shock towers or possibly the brace that runs between the strut towers. Then anchor the actuall retractor part of the belt to the brace and then the rings that belts go thru to the extra "roll bar". I think that should be pretty safe, the mounting points that it's welded to would be thicker parts of the car. But that's just my thinking

9. 09-22-2005 12:02 AM #9
      ...only a problem when my right foot gets too heavy....

Vehicles
      I AM THE VAN MAN
      09-22-2005 02:10 AM #10
      wow...everyone has female children... so i guess you all with little boys just let them jump all over the car when its in motion?
      ps if anyone is interested, i have a '93 cabriolet i am parting out with the OEM 3 point rear shoulderharnesses... i will cut the brackets out (the brackets are welded in..PITA to remove, but its the only way to get the rear shoulderbelts) and you can reweld them into your cabby. fits all year cabbys from 80-93. includes the brackets, belts, everything you need to add rear 3 point OEM shoulderbelts to your cabby..
      send me IM if your interested.. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      Q7 4.2 V8 , Smart 451 Turbo
      09-22-2005 05:17 AM #11
      Some info....

Chip Tuning for a living @ www.microchips-tuning.com

Vehicles
      '89 Cabby ABA/16vT, '89 Cabby, '94 E420 (RIP), '05 C55
      09-22-2005 10:23 AM #12
      Quote, originally posted by Richthecopyguy »
      When I can get a chance, It'll have to be saturday, I'll take pics and post them. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

I would definitely be interested to see how you have the harnesses mounted and to hear what the State Police have to say. Please post some pics when you get a chance.

Vehicles
      I AM THE VAN MAN
      09-22-2005 11:01 AM #13
      thanks for the pics george.. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] that very cabby pictured is the exact cabby that the 3 point mount setup if from. that blue '93 cabby pictured sits in the top of my barn now, and those brackets/belts pictured are the ones i have for sale

Vehicles
      1984 Rabbit Convertible;1990 Cabriolet;1967 Beetle(Fred)R.I.P.
      09-22-2005 09:14 PM #14
      The short of the installation is that I used all of the original factory mounts. I ran the shoulder harness part under the cross member behind the seat and up over the seat back. the lap portion is mounted to the original lap belt and reciever are mounted. Now I really don't know about you but I did find that without a head rest on the back seat I didn't feel safe having her in a booster but rather putting her in the seat which then puts her in the lowest possible position in the seat, gets the lap portion snug across her lap with the shoulder parts laying just as they would if she was in a child seat with a harness. Believe it or not the trooper that checked my installation agreed that she was much safer in this position.
      Btw my daughter loves the way the seat belt works and even wants to pull the shoulder straps tight when we go for a ride.
      I'm not prejudiced...I hate everyone equally.

Lights timed for 45mph are also timed for 90!

15. 11-30-2008 08:24 AM #15
      Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:20 pm Post subject:
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone is still interested then i have a full set of the OEM US 3 point belts for sale. I bought them years ago but never got round to fitting and have since sold the car. I paid something close to £300 for them so please make me a sensible offer or bid on my auction. Thanks.
      http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayI...57931
      P.S Email is often gets to me better than a pm.

16. 10-13-2010 09:23 AM #16
      Ive since bought the cab back from the person i sold it too and would like to put the 3 point belts in this time so if anybody knows anyone selling then please let me know.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      '93 Cabriolet/ '03 Golf/'13 Golf Wagon 2.5
      10-14-2010 06:09 PM #17
      I have similar concerns with the lap only belts in my '88. My 4 year old daughter is big enough for a booster seat (which is in my wife's Yaris), but I put the Britax seat in the VW. I tested it by grabbing the seat and and yanking it as hard as I could and it would hardly budge. I plan on installing an anchor somewhere in the trunk to attack the hook from the Britax just to be safe, but I'm not particularly worried about the current setup.

I explained to my wife how when I was a little kid, that my dad's 1970 Mercedes 280SL didn't even have a back seat, only a small ledge, with no belts whatsoever, and that's where I sat.

That said, I drive this car much differently that I do a modern car, in the sense that I drive it more like a motorcycle than a car.

18. 10-15-2010 03:01 AM #18
      there is a diy conversion in the link below.
      it is in french but from the pictures you will get an idea

http://piupiu.ferreira.free.fr/montage_de_ceintures.rar

19. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 cabriolet (MT), 2012 Toyota Sienna
      08-11-2014 10:42 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by msoze View Post
      there is a diy conversion in the link below.
      it is in french but from the pictures you will get an idea

http://piupiu.ferreira.free.fr/montage_de_ceintures.rar
      This french slideshow is tres bien! Merci beaucoup!
      little bandit needs premium!
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dceB3SKBw9w

For advertising information click HERE