Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Golf TDI-R Endurance Racecar - Interesting

Vehicles
      91 Audi 80 2.0T
      02-18-2008 03:15 AM #51
      Quote, originally posted by Goat »
      What I wanna know is if the 2.5TDi out of these volvos has an immobilizer. How would one wire this up? Would it be possible to put a fully mechanical pump from a 2.5td onto the 2.5tdi?

Apparantly so, CLICK ME.
      So just to update this,I have not forgotten the 2.5TDI I have sitting on the palet.Ideally I would like to end up with something like this:

but as it stands right now I have too many projects and not enough funds for them all.Eventually this WILL happen...anymore info you guys can contribute will be greatly appreciated.

Vehicles
      1989 Helios GLI 1997 Mk3 ****box
      03-03-2008 12:05 AM #52
      iirc the Bora TDI Wagon racecar had something like 350 hp and 650 lb/ft of torque.

3. 03-05-2008 07:01 PM #53
      I'm more interested in seeing the validity of using the 1.9L 4cyl TDI block in an endurance racecar.
      From my own experience the conservative A/R and restrictive exhausts are the weak points on the stock / near-stock TDI's.
      Finding a good mix between torque / power and lower EGT's with good fuel consumption would be ideal.
      It would also depend on the track, a short circuit with lots of turns, you'd probably live in 3rd gear and want a quick-spooling turbo like a VNT 17 (49 VA or VB).... The VNT20's run super-cool and provide tons of top end power, but usually start at 52 A/R or higher...

Vehicles
      91 Audi 80 2.0T
      03-05-2008 07:16 PM #54
      Quote, originally posted by SuperChicken13 »
      I'm more interested in seeing the validity of using the 1.9L 4cyl TDI block in an endurance racecar.

See I would look into the 4CYL as it would make things alot easier and I could use the TT bellhousing + Haldex system BUT I allready have the 2.5TDI motor sitting on a palet.Its been sitting there for a very long time now and I have a serious aching to build this car.
      I have started collecting parts such as the MKIV KW suspension and the Helix replica VWMS head lights.
      Would I like to see a 4 cyl TDI done?Sure...but @ the same time which one and what will I do with this 2.5 motor.

Vehicles
      2013 PG GLI
      03-05-2008 08:32 PM #55
      Quote, originally posted by Wizard-of-OD »
      Would I like to see a 4 cyl TDI done?Sure...but @ the same time which one and what will I do with this 2.5 motor.

Make that a separate project or put it in a sandrail
      Quote Originally Posted by ..Derek.. View Post
      Clearly you aren't familiar with the "Golden Corrado". It's so clinically clean that in the event that you must urinate it must be done at least one zip code away in fear that it may catch a staph infection.

6. 03-06-2008 12:10 PM #56
      I have seen some incredible results from the '99-03 ALH TDI. In my region, the BRM / BEW's are just starting to be explored in the 200hp+ territories. A shop I used to work at was able to get 265hp out of an ALH TDI with a borked tune and no VNT control. The power delivery looked identical to a VR6, so nobody believed the results. Hopefully in the next few weeks that car will hit the rollers again with a proper tune and a full exhaust.
      I'm in a similar boat as you, I want to modify my TDI in ways that allow maximum power / torque, without having to worry about EGT's and heat soak.

Vehicles
      91 Audi 80 2.0T
      03-06-2008 08:49 PM #57
      I have seen some incredible results from the '99-03 ALH TDI. In my region, the BRM / BEW's are just starting to be explored in the 200hp+ territories. A shop I used to work at was able to get 265hp out of an ALH TDI with a borked tune and no VNT control. The power delivery looked identical to a VR6, so nobody believed the results. Hopefully in the next few weeks that car will hit the rollers again with a proper tune and a full exhaust.

I know the boys on the west coast have really unlocked the TDI motors (Malone et all).It will be interesting to see what they do MORE with the Inline-4's.I am seriously considering selling the A6 motor and starting over again but realistically what inline-4 would I start with.Even the new TSI Jetta does not have a Diesel motor.
      Quote, originally posted by TSI Jetta »

Super and turbocharged Jetta
      Today at the Autosport International racing show at the NEC in Birmingham, UK Volkswagen revealed their new VW Jetta TSI Sport. The Jetta TSI Racer will make it first racing appearance on Easter Monday at the Oulton Park Volkswagen Racing Cup race.
      The Volkswagen Racing UK team have upped the horsepower from 170 hp to 230 hp in the supercharged and turbocharged 1.4 liter 16-valve engine. Last year the engine was under the bonnet of the Golf, Volkswagen Racing UK’s Melissa Wright said: “We learned a lot about the engine during the course of 2007 and we have incorporated that knowledge into the new installation.”
      The engine-driven supercharger and exhaust gas powered turbocharger supply the racer with low rev supercharging while the turbo kicks in at higher engine speeds. This results in no turbo lag and high torque through a wide range of engine RPM. The engine was named Best New Engine of 2006 in the International Engine of the Year Awards.

VOLKSWAGEN JETTA TSI RACER MAKES DEBUT AT AUTOSPORT SHOW
      Volkswagen’s latest track challenger, a supercharged and turbocharged Jetta saloon, was unveiled today (Thursday) in Britain.
      The Jetta TSI Sport made its debut at the Autosport International racing car show at Birmingham’s NEC, taking centre stage on the British Racing and Sports Car Club stand. The new machine will take to the track for the first time on Easter Monday (24 March) in the opening round of the Hankook-backed Volkswagen Racing Cup, at Oulton Park.
      In road-going form the Jetta’s 1.4-litre, 16-valve engine produces 170 PS but the engineers at Volkswagen Racing UK, with the help of their technology partners at Superchips, Milltek Sport and Turbo Dynamics, have boosted this to 230 PS.
      The TSI power unit was proven in competition last season under the bonnet of a Golf; Volkswagen Racing UK’s Melissa Wright believes that the Jetta TSI is a potential race winner: ‘We learned a lot about the engine during the course of 2007 and we have incorporated that knowledge into the new installation,’ she said. ‘In the right hands and with some development mileage under it, the new car will be a front-runner, I am sure.’
      The TSI features an engine-driven supercharger and an exhaust gas powered turbocharger, arranged in series; the supercharger operates at lower engine speeds and the turbo cuts in as revs rise. The result is excellent driveability and performance throughout the rev range, with no turbo lag and high maximum torque. The power unit was named
      It’s not only in Britain that the Jetta will be cutting a dash this season – the Sports Car Club of America is to stage a championship for turbodiesel-powered machines. The Jetta TDI Cup will launch in May.
      In the UK, the Jetta TSI Sport will be raced by selected motoring and motor sport journalists. The Volkswagen Racing Cup expands to 14 rounds this year and will once again be the chief saloon-race support to the British Formula 3 and British GT Championships.
      The Volkswagen Racing Cup in association with Hankook is further supported by Augustus Martin, Castrol, ECM Vehicle Delivery, Milltek Sport, Mondial Assistance, KW Automotive, Superchips, TNT Logistics, Turbo Dynamics, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles and Volkswagen Financial Services UK.
      Jetta TSI Sport racing version
      Engine capacity (litres / cc) 1.4 /1390
      Configuration 4 cyl, 16v, turbocharged and supercharged
      Engine management Volkswagen Racing mapping
      Power output (PS) 230 (standard model 170)
      Drive Front-wheel drive
      Gearbox Six speed sport ratios, limited slip differential
      Clutch Sintered metal plate
      Exhaust system Bespoke race system with race catalyst
      Shell Production shell, fully stripped
      welded-in multi-point roll cage to FIA standard
      Safety Recaro HANS racing seat, six-point harness, plumbed-in extinguisher system
      Steering Power assisted rack and pinion
      Brakes 360 mm VWR ventilated front discs,
      12 pot calipers
      VWR ventilated rear discs,
      ABS disabled
      Adjustable bias
      Front suspension VWR two-way adjustable race dampers
      Adjustable anti-roll bar
      Solid bushes
      Rear suspension Multi-link production suspension, VWR two-way adjustable race dampers
      Adjustable anti-roll bar
      Solid bushes
      Wheels 18 in BBS alloy wheels
      Tyres Hankook slick/wet
      225/40 ZR18
      Weight objective 1223 kg
      Lubricants Castrol

I'm in a similar boat as you, I want to modify my TDI in ways that allow maximum power / torque, without having to worry about EGT's and heat soak.

Heat soak?See the massive size of that intercooler?

Vehicles
      99.5 Golf TDI 2dr, 92 Miata, 11 TerraTrike Path 8
      04-05-2008 10:49 PM #58
      You know, did anyone ever find out what transmission they were using in the 850TD?

Vehicles
      91 Audi 80 2.0T
      04-07-2008 03:42 AM #59
      Quote, originally posted by bhtooefr »
      You know, did anyone ever find out what transmission they were using in the 850TD?

Well according to the guys on Sweedespeed these are the following transmission codes available:
      AW50-42 Asian Warner - Automatic
      M66 - Manual (Found in the S60,supposed to have the same bell housing).

10. 04-07-2008 01:13 PM #60
      Speaking of the TSI VWMS, have you seen the TDI Cup Jetta?
      Quote, originally posted by SCCA »

Photo:Volkswagen of America, Inc.
      LAS VEGAS, Nev. (November 1, 2007) – Volkswagen of America, Inc. announced at the 2007 SEMA Show that it will bring TDI clean diesel technology to select North American race tracks starting in May 2008. The Jetta TDI Cup series will be sanctioned by the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) Pro Racing Ltd., and will appear at up to eight major racing venues in North America during 2008.
      “The Jetta TDI Cup racing series will celebrate Volkswagen’s diesel technology and heritage in motorsports as good, clean fun,” said Stefan Jacoby, CEO, Volkswagen of America, Inc. “Not only will the young drivers gain real-life track experience in a factory-prepared race vehicle, it will allow them to develop their own mindset of today’s clean diesel technology, and foster increased awareness of its advantages in this new era of environmental sensitivity.”
      The Jetta TDI Cup shifts gears from the previously announced GTI program, allowing Volkswagen to showcase the power and performance of its new clean diesel technology, available in the upcoming 2009 Jetta TDI sedan and SportWagen. With up to 30 Jetta TDI’s competing in the hands of aspiring, young drivers, this unique motorsport offering will highlight a new, exciting platform of racing that does not currently exist – a full field of clean diesel powered vehicles.
      “With the Jetta TDI Cup, Volkswagen has created an amazing platform to develop young drivers and expand their knowledge about clean and quiet diesel technology,” said Robert Wildberger, president and CEO, SCCA Pro Racing, Inc. “We look forward to the series in hopes that it will attract more attention to the drivers and advantages of diesel power.”
      The Jetta TDI Cup racecars will be optimized for track performance and safety. To focus on the skill of the young drivers and to ensure performance parity, proper maintenance and safety standards, all vehicles will be owned and maintained by Volkswagen. The heart of the Jetta TDI Cup racing vehicle will be the all-new, high-tech 2.0-liter four-cylinder TDI clean diesel engine rated at 170 horsepower and nearly 300 ft.-lbs. of torque in racing trim. The Jetta TDI race vehicles will be outfitted with a six-speed automatic DSG® transmission, electro-mechanical power rack-and-pinion steering system, and advanced multi-link fully independent race-tuned suspension, driver airbag supplemental restraint system, and four-wheel ABS racing brakes.
      Signifying Volkswagen’s environmental commitment, the Jetta TDI Cup series will be certified as CarbonFree by Carbonfund.org. Additional program details will be available at http://www.vwmotorsportusa.com by mid-November 2007. .

Vehicles
      91 Audi 80 2.0T
      04-16-2008 09:27 PM #61
      Speaking of the TSI VWMS, have you seen the TDI Cup Jetta?

Not in person but I have researched it.Well the search of parts continues....Matt is trying to get me the OEM head lights and other body components.

12. 04-16-2008 10:58 PM #62
      Apparently the bumper should be available at dealers already if not shortly if you're looking for that... thunderbunny come OEM. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      91 Audi 80 2.0T
      04-16-2008 11:34 PM #63
      Apparently the bumper should be available at dealers already if not shortly if you're looking for that... thunderbunny come OEM. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

I am building a MKIV...not a V fan yet.

14. 04-24-2008 09:40 AM #64
      The 5 cylinder engine in the endurance racer, which veichle does it come from? It doesnt look like a PD?
      Do you have the VW Transporter Vans in the US? The ones with the 174bhp 5 cylinder diesel? Im thinking about the possibility of the fitment of them into the Mk4. The transporter also come with the 1.9Tdi engine also.
      So here is my thought, you can get the 2.5 5cyl Mk5 in the US. What gearbox does this run? Surley the engine must be of similar dimensions to the 2.5 5cyl diesel found in the transporter. Im wondering wheter the 2.5 Mk5 gearbox would fit onto the 2.5 Tdi engine and then fit into the mk4? Of course gearatios would also need addressing.

Vehicles
      04-24-2008 09:59 AM #65
      It comes from a Volvo 850TD. Same engine is in the T4 Transporter and various early TDI Audis.
      Anyway, we don't have the T5 Transporter in the US, and the only T4s we got have gasoline engines - the 2.5L Audi 5-cyl gasser, the 12v 2.8L VR6, and the 24v 2.8L VR6.
      Canada got a 2.4L non-turbo 5-cyl indirect injection diesel, pushing out an amazing 75 hp.
      Anyway, the Mk5 is a wider car than the Mk4. Also, the 2.5 gasser has a timing chain, such that it's not as wide as the 2.5 5-cyl TDI.

Vehicles
      91 Audi 80 2.0T
      04-24-2008 12:40 PM #66
      Quote, originally posted by Airwolf2 »
      So here is my thought, you can get the 2.5 5cyl Mk5 in the US. What gearbox does this run?

Any of the 4 cylinder gearboxes (02J/02A/020/etc).The problem is the new I5's is much shorter than the old TDI and Audi 5 cylinder engines.

17. 04-24-2008 03:58 PM #67
      The new I5 is shorter? Surley thats a good thing. So it may be possible to fit it into the Mk4 platform then?

Vehicles
      04-24-2008 06:39 PM #68
      Right, but the new I5 in question is a gasser, and there's no diesel based on it. :/

Vehicles
      91 Audi 80 2.0T
      04-24-2008 08:22 PM #69
      The new I5 is shorter? Surley thats a good thing. So it may be possible to fit it into the Mk4 platform then?

Well considering the Bettle is a MKIV I would say yes allthough no one had tried it yet.

Vehicles
      04-24-2008 08:27 PM #70
      Ooh, I forgot about the Beetle 2.5.

21. 04-25-2008 09:44 AM #71
      Here is a T5 unit for sale in Germany. It looks like it doesnt run a cambelt!
      http://cgi.ebay.de/VW-Bus-T5-M...wItem

Modified by Airwolf2 at 7:10 AM 4-25-2008

Vehicles
      91 Audi 80 2.0T
      04-25-2008 12:57 PM #72
      Here is a T5 unit for sale in Germany. It looks like it doesnt run a cambelt!
      http://cgi.ebay.de/VW-Bus-T5-M...wItem

Nice engine but I allready have the A6 motor similar to what is in the original race car.

Vehicles
      09 CC 4motion
      04-25-2008 02:03 PM #73
      that wagon is the biz

24. 05-20-2008 02:32 PM #74
      reading this thread gives me hope that maybe I could fit my turboed 7a 5 cylinder into my GTi?
      I know it wouldnt be a bolt up ordeal, but maybe with a bit of frame notching?

Vehicles
      1985 Golf CL, 1995 Polo, 1988 Quattro
      08-26-2011 01:40 PM #75
      anyone with better pictures or additional information?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast