Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OEM fog light wiring install write-up

Vehicles
      2005.5 B7 A4 Avant, 2010 MKV Jetta Wolfsburg, 2003 TT Coupe
      09-29-2005 02:50 AM #1
      CAVEAT: Not all Central Electronics Controllers support front fog lights. Check your controller part number before attempting. This can be accomplished using the VAG-COM. If your controller is PN: 3C0 937 049 D - the proceedure I've outlined below will not work as this controller does not support front fogs. See this thread for more details: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zer...age=1
      I recently purchased the OEM fog install kit from the good folks at EMT. Like others, I think it is a good kit and provided you can find a way to get the trigger wire through the firewall, a relatively straight forward installation.
      However, being the stickler for staying as close to factory as possible, I discovered from Therisias (Sebastian) that Kufatec.de makes a wiring harness kit that allows for use of the car's existing central electronics controller and eliminates the need for adding the aftermarket relay kit. The other added benefit is that the controller monitors each fog individually for a burnt bulb and warns via the MFI accordingly.
      I got in touch with Kufatec's U.S. distributor, Europarts-us who special ordered the kit from Germany. Lanny at Europarts was extremely helpful and I had the kit within two weeks.. URL: http://www.euro-parts.us

SKU Product Item price Quantity Total
      33001 Golf/Jetta V Fog light wiring harness $51.00

This included the harness to each fog light and still requires pass through the firewall. However, it wires directly to the connectors at the central electronics controller (under the dash) utilizing the factory connectors. (very clean). It also includes a short trigger wire from the headlight switch to the controller.
      In either case (EMT kit or Kufatec) you have to go through the firewall. To make it easy, I suggest pulling the battery and plastic shroud around it. Not the easiest task but it makes getting to the existing pass through easier. It has a flexible grommet around the cable harness at the passthrough. From inside the car I used a plastic hanger to poke through the grommet, taped wires to the hanger and pulled them back through. With the battery out of the way I was able to tuck the wires and tie wrap them neatly to the exisitng harness. Then I used some liquid electrical tape to seal the grommet where I poked the hanger through. Also with the battery out it is easy to acces the grounding stud next to the battery ground wire and connect the ground lead for the fogs. Following Patrick@EMT's excellent instructions, I removed the front bumper to run the harness to the left and righ fog lights.
      Connecting the wires at the controller requires some good lighting and some knowledge of how the connectors work. The connectors have to be pulled out and the wire locks removed so the new wires can be insterted into the connectors. All in all pretty straight forward.
      After that I just buttoned things up, replaced the battery and started up. The ESP and steering will warning lights stay on after the battey is pulled. They reset themselves after you drive the car a few feet. I then used my VAG-COM to clear any faults (because the cables are pulled the computer detects this and throws some faults - no big deal). I recoded the central electronics controller and voila... factory spec fog light operation.
      Modified by mobiledaveb at 4:36 PM 1-10-2006

Modified by mobiledaveb at 12:28 AM 1-25-2006

Modified by mobiledaveb at 9:16 AM 1-25-2006
      2010 MKV Jetta Wolfsburg 2.0T
      2005.5 B7 A4 2.0T Avant Quattro
      2003 Audi TT Coupe

2. 09-29-2005 07:57 AM #2
      Great info, I plan on doing this on the TDI in the next month or so!

Vehicles
      2008 Cayman S, 2006 GLI, 2008 Rabbit
      09-29-2005 09:25 AM #3
      Awesome! So if a foglight on my GLI goes out, the FIS display will tell me?
      Ride In: 2008 Signal Green Cayman S Sport 378/700 .:. 2006 Plat Grey GLI .:. 2008 Sage Green Rabbit
      Ride On: 2010 Trek 2.1 .:. 2011 Fisher Cobia

4. 09-29-2005 10:52 AM #4
      So do you need a Jetta with the multifunction steering wheel? Or will all Jettas be able o di it this way? I don't think any of the Canadian Jettas have the option for the trip/mileage stuff.

Vehicles
      09-30-2005 01:03 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by BRM10984 »
      Awesome! So if a foglight on my GLI goes out, the FIS display will tell me?

That is correct. It will display a message at startup indicating left or right and the bulb indicator will remain on in the dash display.
      2003 Audi TT Coupe

Vehicles
      09-30-2005 01:08 PM #6
      Quote, originally posted by biznatch »
      So do you need a Jetta with the multifunction steering wheel? Or will all Jettas be able o di it this way? I don't think any of the Canadian Jettas have the option for the trip/mileage stuff.

No multifunction steering wheel required.
      The reason I made mention of the steering wheel during the write-up is because I had to pull all of the connectors from the electronics controller under the dash on order to get to the connector I needed to hook the fog harness into. As a result the computer detects that it lost communication with the steering wheel module (and others) and the fault needs to be cleared using the VAG.
      2003 Audi TT Coupe

Vehicles
      2005.5 VW Jetta
      09-30-2005 02:43 PM #7
      Awesome, anyway we could get photos or something to show where everything goes
      I was holding off on front and rear fogs untill some one found out how to do it this way

Vehicles
      09-30-2005 03:13 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by focalBlur »
      Awesome, anyway we could get photos or something to show where everything goes
      I was holding off on front and rear fogs untill some one found out how to do it this way

i'll see what I can do this weekend.
      2003 Audi TT Coupe

Vehicles
      2005.5 VW Jetta
      10-13-2005 03:14 AM #9
      any update or more info on where the wires actually plug in?
      and here is the link for the harness
      http://www.euro-parts.us/xcart...age=1

Vehicles
      10-13-2005 10:27 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by focalBlur »
      any update or more info on where the wires actually plug in?
      and here is the link for the harness
      http://www.euro-parts.us/xcart...age=1

apologies.. i got wrapped up in the LED tail light discussion and became distracted!
      yes... the wires come into the central electronics controller with the same harness the comes through the firewall. Drop the panel under the dash by removing the two torx screws and you will find the controller above the pedals.
      > graue Leitung – Bordsteuergerät Stecker D Pin 2
      grey wire: central electronics control module (connector D pin 2)
      > grau/gelbe Leitung – Bordsteuergerät Stecker A Pin 4
      grey/yellow wire: central electronics control module (connector A pin 4)
      > Braune Leitung – Masseverbindung an der Batterie
      brown wire: ground connection from/on battery - I attached it to the ground post on engine compartment next to the battery.
      > Weiße Zusatzleitung – 10poliger Stecker Lichtschalter Pin 5 zum
      > Bordsteuergerät 16poliger Stecker E Pin 6
      white additional wire: from 10-pin connector pin 5 (light switch) to 16pin connector (central electronics control module) connector E pin 6
      Like the tail light connectors, these connectors have PIN locks that need to be pulled (from the side) in order to insert the wires. The harness comes with the pins (or in this case the sockets) pre-crimped to the ends. You just pop them in.
      2003 Audi TT Coupe

11. 10-14-2005 08:07 PM #11
      Does anyone have the price of these parts from an American VW dealership? I had a Canadian dealership price out the vents, lights, two-pin plugs for H11 plug and nuts/screws from the EMT install page and it came to over $500cdn! youch.
      EMT is selling the complete kit for $345us but I don't need the switch (have a Euro switch) and I don't need their custom harness (buying the Kufatec OEM) - Should bring the price for the kit to well under $300us? Can anyone confirm this, or recommend someone who would be willing to ship it to me?
      as an example, a quick search shows the foglights being 41.13euro each - which converts to $59cdn. My dealership wants $140cdn each! To be fair, these parts are not in their regular system because foglights are not an option in Canada yet.

Modified by biznatch at 7:26 PM 10-14-2005

12. 12-31-2005 03:03 PM #12
      I am bringing this back up because I am interested if anyone has found a place to get this wiring kit.

Vehicles
      12-31-2005 03:19 PM #13
      Quote, originally posted by chris s »
      I am bringing this back up because I am interested if anyone has found a place to get this wiring kit.

I suggest contacting Europarts. They are the U.S. distributor for Kufatec, the German company that made the harness I used. http://www.euro-parts.us Lanny at Europarts took care me. He had to special order the harness from Kufatec as he didn't have it in stock. Took about 3 weeks for me to get it through him. The Kufatec folks were very helpful and responded quickly to my emails: info@kufatec.de
      Here is the URL for the part: http://www.kufatec.de/shop/pro....html

14. 01-01-2006 12:08 AM #14
      looks like euro-parts is no longer operating a web site.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2005.5 MKV TDI
      01-01-2006 07:12 AM #15
      Quote, originally posted by chris s »
      looks like euro-parts is no longer operating a web site.

Possibly?
      http://www.europarts-sd.com/
      They might be able to help.

Modified by Tim Birney at 7:18 AM 1-1-2006
      Rain Closing Windows, goF raeR, Aspherical Mirrors, Remote Windows, Amber Club

16. 01-01-2006 10:43 AM #16
      Thanks I will give them a call after the holiday.

17. 01-01-2006 06:20 PM #17
      Untrue. They just launched a new one... I'm in contact with Lanny to get the wiring kit for the fogs. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      http://www.euro-parts.us/

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2005.5 MKV TDI
      01-01-2006 06:41 PM #18
      Quote, originally posted by mattenfeu »
      Untrue. They just launched a new one... I'm in contact with Lanny to get the wiring kit for the fogs. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      http://www.euro-parts.us/

Much better than the one I found.
      [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      2005.5 TDI Jetta 160k
      01-02-2006 01:45 PM #19
      While we are on the subject here...
      Anyone know the P/N for the repair wire that fits into the CECM connectors?
      The 000 979 009 works perfectly for the trigger wires, HOWEVER....
      I got a few different repair wires, and none of the ends are quite like those already in the connector. The old style (i.e., MK IV 000 979 -126, -133 etc.) may fit, I don't know. I really don't feel like getting one stuck and replacing an entire connector.
      What I am looking for is an end like those on the trigger wire, only larger, with a larger gauge wire.
      Anyone with the Kufatec harness, or who has played with these connectors, knows what I mean.
      I am going to start a new thread with this very question, as well.

Vehicles
      01-02-2006 05:20 PM #20
      Quote, originally posted by zanakas »
      I got a few different repair wires, and none of the ends are quite like those already in the connector. The old style (i.e., MK IV 000 979 -126, -133 etc.) may fit, I don't know. I really don't feel like getting one stuck and replacing an entire connector.
      What I am looking for is an end like those on the trigger wire, only larger, with a larger gauge wire.
      Anyone with the Kufatec harness, or who has played with these connectors, knows what I mean.

I visited two dealers in my area looking for the wire end in question as I broke one off in the process of moving wires for the rear fog. Neither of them could find a repair wire with this this end. I ended up having to solder the wire to the end and make my own repair. I also checked the used parts scrap yard in my area that is owned by the VW dealer. No wrecked MkVs on the lot - yet.

21. 01-04-2006 03:52 PM #21
      Harnesses are back in stock at http://www.euro-parts.us - If I missed calling you back I do apologize.

22. 01-04-2006 04:05 PM #22
      Quote, originally posted by zanakas »

What size connector and wire does it have to be?

Vehicles
      2005.5 TDI Jetta 160k
      01-05-2006 01:45 PM #23

The ends (not the ring terminal) on the two grey wires on your Kufatec harness....
      <quote>
      > graue Leitung – Bordsteuergerät Stecker D Pin 2
      grey wire: central electronics control module (connector D pin 2)
      > grau/gelbe Leitung – Bordsteuergerät Stecker A Pin 4
      grey/yellow wire: central electronics control module (connector A pin 4)
      </quote>
      Those two ends....
      They are squareish, I would say the "middle" size that fit into the connector.

I'd like to complete the project, all I have to do is wire the fogs into the CECM. The wires are run. I ought to have purchased your harness, but I got antsy. I also wasn't sure when (and if) you'd be back. Now, I have a nice homemade harness that I can't connect.

Any help? A P/N ? Maybe a little offer?

Vehicles
      2005.5 TDI Jetta 160k
      01-05-2006 01:48 PM #24
      BTW, Lanny, I'll be sure to use your products next time, now that I know you're here. I am an incessant tinkerer....

25. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 golf r
      01-05-2006 02:17 PM #25
      how much force did you use to remowve the bumper inserts?
      i chickened out, got about 3 clips out and gave up.

Vehicles
      2005.5 TDI Jetta 160k
      01-05-2006 02:33 PM #26
      They are tricky. First, make sure the bumper is warm...take it in the house.
      Work from the center out. remove the screw holding the inserts into the bumper, and pull hard right where the screw came out. The insert will"swing" out towards the outside of the bumper, then you can remove it.
      The chrome inserts are also tricky. Again, I started on one end, the center end, and worked towards the outer edge. These snap from the top, and roll downwards. I pried quite hard, and even used a screwdriver on one or two to push the tab down (i think four or five tabs per strip). Nothing broke....

27. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 golf r
      01-05-2006 02:39 PM #27
      ill give it a try again this weekend
      thanks!

Vehicles
      2005.5 TDI Jetta 160k
      01-08-2006 10:55 AM #28
      help?

29. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 golf r
      01-08-2006 12:45 PM #29
      sorry dude, i am waiting on the kuftec harness from lanny. i am going to go for something as close to stock as possible.
      oh yeah, ive got this thread highlighted so as soon as their done ill post.

thanks

30. 01-19-2006 12:13 AM #30
      I'm a newbie to the boards and to Volkswagen cars. First time buyer as of last week.
      Anyway,
      How is the central electronics controller recoded? I'm trying to determine which approach I should take on the wiring for the fog light install.
      ZV,

Vehicles
      09 JETTA TDI. 13 JSW TDI
      01-19-2006 12:34 AM #31
      [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      2009 Jetta TDI RED DSG,OEM BI-Xenon,Fogs,LED Tails,GLI grill
      2013 Jetts Sportwagen TDI DSG, Pano,OEM BI-Xenon,Fogs.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      2005.5 MKV TDI
      01-19-2006 01:21 AM #32
      Quote, originally posted by Zuerst Volkswagen &raquo;
      I'm a newbie to the boards and to Volkswagen cars. First time buyer as of last week.
      Anyway,
      How is the central electronics controller recoded? I'm trying to determine which approach I should take on the wiring for the fog light install.
      ZV,

VAG-COM
      http://www.ross-tech.com
      HEX-CAN+COM or HEX-CAN+USB depending on the how you intend to use it Com port, or USB cable).
      The first upgrade for any MKV.
      Various bits in Central Electronics Controller, Module (09) are changed to allow function of the Front Fog Lights.
      http://en.openobd.org/vw/golf_1k.htm
      The new release of VAG-COM, 512.1-D has a long coding helper that makes it a "plug and play" task, as opposed to breaking down the HEX code to Binary, and then back again.

Modified by Tim Birney at 2:00 AM 1-19-2006

33. 01-19-2006 01:30 AM #33
      You could have 2 options if you decide to have OEM fog lights:
      1. If you have access to $350 VAG-COM interface cable and software you could by buy OEM fog lights from
      http://www.euromotivetuning.co...3_392 for $359-$wiring harness = about $280 and wiring OEM harness from http://www.euro-parts.us/home.php?cat=252 for $51. Then follow instruction from EMT for hardware and from this post for reprogramming.
      2. Get the full kit from EMT for $359, follow their excellent instruction and bypass CPU reprogramming.
      I almost finished option #1.
      Good luck,
      George.

34. 01-19-2006 11:00 PM #34
      [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] Thanks all. Although it looks as though I am pulling more for the reprogramming method, It appears that both methods would do just fine. I will post and keep you all updated with my progress.
      Thanks again

Chris ZV

01-23-2006 11:21 PM #35
      Quote, originally posted by zillinger &raquo;
      You could have 2 options if you decide to have OEM fog lights:
      1. If you have access to $350 VAG-COM interface cable and software you could by buy OEM fog lights from
      http://www.euromotivetuning.co...3_392 for $359-$wiring harness = about $280 and wiring OEM harness from http://www.euro-parts.us/home.php?cat=252 for $51. Then follow instruction from EMT for hardware and from this post for reprogramming.
      2. Get the full kit from EMT for $359, follow their excellent instruction and bypass CPU reprogramming.
      I almost finished option #1.
      Good luck,
      George.

So if I were to get the EMT kit would I still have to reprogram? Or does that only apply for the OEM harness? And would doing either one of them void my warranty?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast