Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Glove box latch repair

1. 10-02-2005 09:27 PM #1
      My glove box latch handle fell off about a month ago. The latching pins had loosened and let the handle fall out. I couldn't figure out how to push them back into place without replacing the whole glove box door. And after reading the FYI, I knew I didnt want to do that.

Today I just fixed it. Took an hour and cost me $2.00 canadian dollars...

The problem is that the factory pins are too short to push in when the handle is in place. If they were a bunch longer you could push them in through the spaces between the latch and the glove box door.

I bought 2 feet of 1/8" steel rod stock (from home depot). The original pins are metric and are smaller diameter, so you need to drillout the holes in the handle to 1/8" to take the new pins.

You don't need to drill the pin seats in the glove box door (not that I think its possible anyway); the 1/8" stock is just slightly bigger and can be pushed in with a bit of force (twisting them helps). A tight fit here is really good anyway, since the metric pins came loose by themselves in the first place. I will let you know if it breaks at -40 this winter....

In this pic you can see the smaller pins in the middle and the new pins to the left. I first pushed the original pin in the hole and marked the depth with some tape to match. You can just see the tape mark on the original pin. If you look at the drill bit, you will see some wire insulation I put over it so that the new holes would only be drilled as deep as the old ones.

Here you can see the point to all this. The pins are now long enough to push in from the hole between the handle and the glove box door. You need to insert the pins from the center space where the handle goes, and push the pins outward to positions shown.

This picture almost shows the pin end in the slot. I used a pen knife blade to engage the pins. They only go in a few mm. It also helps to move the handle open and closed slightly while pushing the pin.

Oh by the way, since this was experiemental (on may car anyway, I forgot to measure the pins before I put it together. But you can see from the picture what the ball park is. Dont forget that once its together, it aint coming apart, so test fit everything before installing.

Good luck and have fun...

Vehicles
      IY 3590; 2007 SRX
      10-02-2005 09:33 PM #2
      cool. you should IM a mod and see if it can get in the DIY/FAQ thread.
      Big Bopper to March Hare..We're still in the game okay? Understand this, that scag, and his floozy....They're gonna die!

3. 10-02-2005 09:40 PM #3
      I just did that. call it payback to the forum....

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      10-02-2005 09:57 PM #4

photos mirrored

Quote, originally posted by logan1.8t »
      My glove box latch handle fell off about a month ago. The latching pins had loosened and let the handle fall out. I couldn't figure out how to push them back into place without replacing the whole glove box door. And after reading the FYI, I knew I didnt want to do that.

Today I just fixed it. Took an hour and cost me $2.00 canadian dollars...

The problem is that the factory pins are too short to push in when the handle is in place. If they were a bunch longer you could push them in through the spaces between the latch and the glove box door.

I bought 2 feet of 1/8" steel rod stock (from home depot). The original pins are metric and are smaller diameter, so you need to drillout the holes in the handle to 1/8" to take the new pins.

You don't need to drill the pin seats in the glove box door (not that I think its possible anyway); the 1/8" stock is just slightly bigger and can be pushed in with a bit of force (twisting them helps). A tight fit here is really good anyway, since the metric pins came loose by themselves in the first place. I will let you know if it breaks at -40 this winter....

http://is.rely.net/2-1060-1120...g.jpg
      In this pic you can see the smaller pins in the middle and the new pins to the left. I first pushed the original pin in the hole and marked the depth with some tape to match. You can just see the tape mark on the original pin. If you look at the drill bit, you will see some wire insulation I put over it so that the new holes would only be drilled as deep as the old ones.

http://is.rely.net/2-1060-1120...g.jpg

Here you can see the point to all this. The pins are now long enough to push in from the hole between the handle and the glove box door. You need to insert the pins from the center space where the handle goes, and push the pins outward to positions shown.

http://is.rely.net/2-1060-1121...g.jpg

This picture almost shows the pin end in the slot. I used a pen knife blade to engage the pins. They only go in a few mm. It also helps to move the handle open and closed slightly while pushing the pin.

Oh by the way, since this was experiemental (on may car anyway, I forgot to measure the pins before I put it together. But you can see from the picture what the ball park is. Dont forget that once its together, it aint coming apart, so test fit everything before installing.

Good luck and have fun...

Dave

5. 10-02-2005 10:11 PM #5

6. 10-10-2005 09:52 AM #6
      Word, thanks for posting this. My glove box latch fell off last week so I'll be putting this into action this weekend.

I had to do a similar thing for my cup holder door, pins fell out & wouldn't stay back in.

I ended up raiding my coat closet and found a coat hanger that was a little larger than the original pins. Worked out good because it took up the play that the door used to have.

-- Dave

7. 10-10-2005 09:55 AM #7
      Quote, originally posted by redsoxreturns »
      cool. you should IM a mod and see if it can get in the DIY/FAQ thread.

8. 12-12-2007 05:40 PM #8
      Any advice on the opposite of this procedure? I'm trying to take the handle off to try and repair the mechanism inside.

It won't latch, and the pistons that poke out of the left and right side of the glovebox door have disappeared inside the door.

Thanks!

9. 12-12-2007 06:30 PM #9
      my thumb.... let me no show you it
      WINNING.

10. 12-26-2007 09:38 PM #10
      I bought a glovebox (lid and the body panel) at a junkyard for $35
      Bummer is that the latch still has the old lock cylinder in it.

Any thoughts on removing the lock cylinder from the junkyard part, WITHOUT ruining the latch? That way, I can push my keyed cylinder in.

I am thinking about drilling it out, but unsure that will work.

Thanks.

11. 09-02-2008 03:02 PM #11
      Great write up. Worked perfectly.
      TDI for the win !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vehicles
      2004 VW R32 DBP
      11-01-2008 08:54 PM #12
      I'm doing exactly the same thing you did to fix the glove box handle. My problem is that once both pins are inserted I can't seem to push them toward the center once the handle is installed. Did you use the tiny gap on each side of the handle to squeeze a pen knife inside to move the pins towards the center so they slide into the holes in the handle?

Vehicles
      OLD 2004.5 GLI, NEW 350Z
      09-30-2009 01:09 PM #13
      Did you get the latch fixed and if so how?

Thanks

Vehicles
      2000 Volkswagen Golf TDI
      09-01-2010 09:27 PM #14
      anyone got any input on this???

haha PLEEEASSSEEEEE HEEELLLPPPP
      Millersville University
      Firefighter
      Safety Enthusiast

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dpk_photos/

Vehicles
      '01 Jetta Wolfsburg
      09-01-2010 10:53 PM #15
      ha mine looks similar to that, i'm just dealing without a glovebox for now. plan on trying to find a whole new glovebox from a junkyard sometime though, my latch mechanism is broke so mine won't even open manually

16. 09-20-2010 03:33 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by davenowood View Post
      anyone got any input on this???
      //busted latch photo//
      haha PLEEEASSSEEEEE HEEELLLPPPP
      That is *exactly* what mine looked like. I got by for about a month by just sticking my fingers in there and manually pushing the two hinges downward. Unfortunately, I went to a college football game the other weekend, threw my friend's ipod in the glovebox and when we came back out after the game, I couldn't get the glove box open. No matter how I try, it is as if the thing is locked tight.

Now I have this:

Because I wasn't going to tell my friend that I had no solution to getting his $200 ipod out of my P.O.S. glovebox.

12-01-2010 04:23 AM #17
      i got me a new glovebox door but how do i put the lock in the door handle does it push right in the hole\this what i got to work with

http://www.urotuning.com/shop/glove-...01-p-3169.html
      "I'd rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else build it for me"

best thing i've ever heard

Vehicles
      BMP #2728
      12-03-2010 05:49 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by The408R32 View Post
      Any advice on the opposite of this procedure? I'm trying to take the handle off to try and repair the mechanism inside.

It won't latch, and the pistons that poke out of the left and right side of the glovebox door have disappeared inside the door.

Thanks!

Ditto, same problem here
      Quote Originally Posted by sirswank View Post
      i hate stupid humans.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
      smashin with passion gives shapely assin.

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta 2.Slo
      12-03-2010 05:52 PM #19
      Just get a new glovebox door from ECS (http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...ard/Glove_Box/)

Changing the lock is easy. Here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1188044

Pics don't work, but it's easy to figure out. Scroll down a bit for the lock instructions.

20. 02-20-2011 03:39 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by cheyanqui View Post
      I bought a glovebox (lid and the body panel) at a junkyard for $35
      Bummer is that the latch still has the old lock cylinder in it.

Any thoughts on removing the lock cylinder from the junkyard part, WITHOUT ruining the latch? That way, I can push my keyed cylinder in.

I am thinking about drilling it out, but unsure that will work.

Thanks.

Insert screwdriver in the old lock you have to force twist the lock until it turn to lock position then turn to unlock positon. This won't break your latch handle. Use your key to lock and unlock the glove box. Just use 1/4 of an inch of your key to lock/unlock. No need to replaced the tumbler.
      Last edited by Rice Rice Baby; 02-20-2011 at 03:41 PM.

Vehicles
      BMP #2728
      03-31-2011 10:48 AM #21
      i fixed mine with a few velcro strips. It can fall open going over gnarly bumps, but it works till i can find a new door.
      Quote Originally Posted by sirswank View Post
      i hate stupid humans.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
      smashin with passion gives shapely assin.

Vehicles
      VW Golf Mk4 2005; VW Touareg V6, 2006
      05-25-2011 03:14 PM #22
      Try this man! hope it helps!

Vehicles
      VW Golf Mk4 2005; VW Touareg V6, 2006
      05-25-2011 03:15 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by The408R32 View Post

Thanks!

Try this. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...tch-(with-pics)