Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 156 of 213 FirstFirst ... 56106146152153154155156157158159160166206 ... LastLast
    Results 3,876 to 3,900 of 5311

    Thread: Go ahead...ask those car questions you were always afraid to ask...

    1. Geriatric Member VDub2625's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 3rd, 2003
      Location
      Fall River, MA
      Posts
      47,082
      Vehicles
      12 Golf 2.5, 90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline, 92 Golf GL
      09-23-2012 01:27 PM #3876
      Quote Originally Posted by DerSpiegel View Post
      Things such as catback exhausts and cold air intakes are relatively easy for companies to make California smog legal. When it comes to software reflashes, intake manifolds, headers, cylinder head swaps, etc, that gets more difficult. When adding forced induction such as a turbo or supercharger, it is illegal as all bugger hell unless the company that supplies it has gone through the entire CARB certification process.

      http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php

      I can tell you more when it comes to engine swaps, etc. if you want to know.
      Which is why even things such as cats have a 49 state, and a California approved, version, so they can charge more for that approval, or sometimes they won't even sell a CA version, just 49 state.

      As for engine swaps, as long as it is from a newer model year vehicle, and meets the newer emission standards, it's legal, correct? This I think is in opposition to most (all?) other states, such as here in MA where the engine must be newer, but the car's original emission standards apply (my friend bought a 97 VR6-swapped 95 Golf, with a CARB cert sticker, though ehre in MA it falls under OBD1 rules and doesn't even get emissions tested).
      A2Resource
      .......

    2. 09-26-2012 10:04 PM #3877
      I saw on this window sticker. No schedule tune-ups - 100,000+ miles, under normal conditions.

      What does it mean? I know oil change, tire rotation/alignment etc. are necessary. What else then?

    3. Member TwoLitreVW's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 16th, 2000
      Location
      MIA
      Posts
      13,032
      Vehicles
      i've a horse outside.
      09-26-2012 10:10 PM #3878
      Quote Originally Posted by above8k View Post
      I saw on this window sticker. No schedule tune-ups - 100,000+ miles, under normal conditions.

      What does it mean? I know oil change, tire rotation/alignment etc. are necessary. What else then?
      things like air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, cap and rotor (where applicable), water pump, thermostat, coolant flush, etc.
      shut your mouth. sh sh shut your mouth.

    4. 09-26-2012 10:34 PM #3879
      Quote Originally Posted by TwoLitreVW View Post
      things like air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, cap and rotor (where applicable), water pump, thermostat, coolant flush, etc.
      Thanks. I thought there is some service that dealer will do for free.

    5. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2005
      Location
      Tennessee
      Posts
      66,556
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      09-26-2012 10:58 PM #3880
      Why is value tied so tightly to age more than anything else (for normal vehicles)?

      To me- condition and miles means more than age, but the market says modal year is the defining variable for vehicle in average or better condition.
      “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

    6. Member
      Join Date
      May 26th, 2006
      Location
      Chattaboogie, TN
      Posts
      1,029
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI #yolo
      09-26-2012 11:45 PM #3881
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Why is value tied so tightly to age more than anything else (for normal vehicles)?

      To me- condition and miles means more than age, but the market says modal year is the defining variable for vehicle in average or better condition.
      Everybody wants the newest, latest, greatest, most reliable stuff out there. And generally speaking, I'd rather have a 100k mile car that's 3-4 years old than a 1997 car with 40k on the clock
      Call To Order Pizza But Too Shy To Answer The Door When It Arrives Crew

    7. Member drecian's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 5th, 2005
      Location
      South Oz
      Posts
      899
      Vehicles
      '76 MG, '96 Ford, Vespa
      09-27-2012 02:13 AM #3882
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Why is value tied so tightly to age more than anything else (for normal vehicles)?
      I'd say safety is the main feature that improves every year, so a lot of people think that a newer car equals a safer car. To most people, a car is just an appliance for transport and they assume the rest of the word is the same with similar usage habits. So assuming every car is used at the same rate (even though it is not true), a newer car will have less wear in their minds.

      Mileage is the other factor in pricig because the general non car loving population can understand that more miles = more wear, over say, idling hours.

      IMHO anyway.
      Jeff

    8. Member Roadkilled78's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2008
      Location
      (In the cornfields west of) Allentown, PA
      Posts
      1,289
      Vehicles
      Miata, Maverick, GTV6, VibeGT
      09-27-2012 09:52 AM #3883
      Quote Originally Posted by R-Acs View Post
      Might have already been answered but..
      Why is diesel fuel more expensive at the pump than gasoline? Isn't diesel less refined/processed than gas?
      Yes, it is.

      In some places it is cheaper. In some places it costs more. Oftentimes there is more tax included in the price of diesel because the assumption is that vehicles using it (large trucks) cause more wear and tear on the roads. Back in the day this was more true than today but I'm pretty sure commercial trucks still outnumber diesel cars by an order of magnitude especially when you consider it by miles traveled.

      This is also why there is farm/off-road only diesel sold in rural and farming areas. No state/federal road taxes applied so it costs much less. It's also dyed and you're in big trouble if it is found in your 18-wheeler.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hogan View Post
      What kind of ass backwards world do you live in where your Miata is broken and your Alfa is your reliable source of transportation?

    9. Member Fisherson's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 22nd, 2008
      Location
      Westwood, CA
      Posts
      1,850
      Vehicles
      '07 GTI (Sold.), '02 Miata (Sold.), '13 Scion FR-S
      09-28-2012 06:26 AM #3884
      Do IS300s have popup nav screens?

    10. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2005
      Location
      Tennessee
      Posts
      66,556
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      09-29-2012 10:30 AM #3885
      Quote Originally Posted by FissionMailed View Post
      Everybody wants the newest, latest, greatest, most reliable stuff out there. And generally speaking, I'd rather have a 100k mile car that's 3-4 years old than a 1997 car with 40k on the clock
      Yeah- but even on the low end of the spectrum, people get all hot and bothered over newer even if the newer car was crap when new.

      For example- I am trying to help a friend find a cheap car (first mistake right there).....
      She found somebody selling an auto 2001 Kia Spectra in less than average condition with 250k miles for $1500..
      And I found better 90's cars in MUCH better shape for similar coin.. nope, she really wants the two thousand and one! car because 2001.

      I have had car dealers play the year thing too when trying to sell me on a trade/sell "You will be trading from a 2001 up to a 2002!" Yeah, but my 2001 has more stuff and has less miles and is in better shape.
      “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

    11. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2005
      Location
      Tennessee
      Posts
      66,556
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      09-29-2012 10:37 AM #3886
      Quote Originally Posted by Roadkilled78 View Post
      Yes, it is.

      In some places it is cheaper. In some places it costs more. Oftentimes there is more tax included in the price of diesel because the assumption is that vehicles using it (large trucks) cause more wear and tear on the roads. Back in the day this was more true than today but I'm pretty sure commercial trucks still outnumber diesel cars by an order of magnitude especially when you consider it by miles traveled.

      This is also why there is farm/off-road only diesel sold in rural and farming areas. No state/federal road taxes applied so it costs much less. It's also dyed and you're in big trouble if it is found in your 18-wheeler.
      I read somewhere that the diesel issue in the US is they just don't have the refining capacity to meet anything close to our road diesel fuel demand- add in the diesel fuel refining infrastructures developed in other countries/markets due to their past history of higher diesel use. So the US imports almost all(?) diesel fuel for road use.
      And what incentive do the oil companies have to set up more diesel refineries in the US when they can refine gas cheap (due to cheap natural gas)and export it for big profits?
      Last edited by BRealistic; 09-29-2012 at 11:14 AM.
      “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

    12. 09-29-2012 10:55 AM #3887
      Weird! Diesel is cheaper over here than gas.

      Euro95: 1.870 Euro/L
      Diesel: 1.522 Euro/L

    13. Member 71DubBugBug's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2006
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      10,565
      Vehicles
      91 Audi D11 V8, 71 Super, 07 E320 Bluetec, 05.5 Jetta 2.5
      09-30-2012 02:49 PM #3888
      why did older dtm cars have the exhaust tips point up?

    14. Member ThreadBomber's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 4th, 2007
      Location
      Vancouver
      Posts
      10,294
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M, 2014 JKU Sahara
      09-30-2012 02:53 PM #3889
      Quote Originally Posted by 71DubBugBug View Post
      why did older dtm cars have the exhaust tips point up?
      maximum pollution
      Teefy Buna

      Quote Originally Posted by Sump View Post
      I'm sure a lot of these guys went home after the carwash and played a little hans solo.

    15. Member drecian's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 5th, 2005
      Location
      South Oz
      Posts
      899
      Vehicles
      '76 MG, '96 Ford, Vespa
      10-04-2012 01:57 PM #3890
      I've been trying to get my head around whether having flat/lower pressure tires affects the speedo.

      My mindbomb is that a flatter tire makes the rim closer to the ground, so it's like a smaller radius tire. On the flip side, the tire still has the same 'circumference' to travel per wheel/axle rotation.

      Anyone?
      Jeff

    16. Geriatric Member VDub2625's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 3rd, 2003
      Location
      Fall River, MA
      Posts
      47,082
      Vehicles
      12 Golf 2.5, 90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline, 92 Golf GL
      10-04-2012 02:02 PM #3891
      Not the same circumfrence since the tire is no longer a circle. The tire "bunches up" at the front (however slightly), and bows out at the sides. The rolling diameter (from the center point to the ground, an average along the whole turn of the wheel) is what matters.

      But the, at max, 1-2" of difference from a flat tire won't affect the speedo greatly.
      A2Resource
      .......

    17. Member drecian's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 5th, 2005
      Location
      South Oz
      Posts
      899
      Vehicles
      '76 MG, '96 Ford, Vespa
      10-04-2012 02:42 PM #3892
      I think I'm slowly getting it, but in my head there is x amount of tread, and every revolution the axle makes, that x amount of tread must also make the full revolution unless is it slipping on the rim. Obviously the car is lower, so what am I missing here?

      O.o
      Jeff

    18. Member cockerpunk's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 17th, 2010
      Location
      Twin Cities MN
      Posts
      4,677
      Vehicles
      Mr2, 951, NA6
      10-04-2012 02:50 PM #3893
      Quote Originally Posted by drecian View Post
      I think I'm slowly getting it, but in my head there is x amount of tread, and every revolution the axle makes, that x amount of tread must also make the full revolution unless is it slipping on the rim. Obviously the car is lower, so what am I missing here?

      O.o
      circumference of a circle = pi * diameter

      only changing the diameter will change the circumference, and thus the speedo reading.
      Quote Originally Posted by kwik!gti
      Cockerpunk: 1
      TCL Hive mind troll brigade: 0

    19. Geriatric Member VDub2625's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 3rd, 2003
      Location
      Fall River, MA
      Posts
      47,082
      Vehicles
      12 Golf 2.5, 90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline, 92 Golf GL
      10-04-2012 02:52 PM #3894
      Quote Originally Posted by drecian View Post
      I think I'm slowly getting it, but in my head there is x amount of tread, and every revolution the axle makes, that x amount of tread must also make the full revolution unless is it slipping on the rim. Obviously the car is lower, so what am I missing here?

      O.o
      The tire is doing all kinds of bad rubing when it turns and is flat. Also the center section usually bows up and doesn't even touch the ground. It's flexible remember
      A2Resource
      .......

    20. Member drecian's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 5th, 2005
      Location
      South Oz
      Posts
      899
      Vehicles
      '76 MG, '96 Ford, Vespa
      10-04-2012 02:59 PM #3895
      Quote Originally Posted by VDub2625 View Post
      The tire is doing all kinds of bad rubing when it turns and is flat. Also the center section usually bows up and doesn't even touch the ground. It's flexible remember
      Ah I getcha now.
      Cheers!

      Jeff

    21. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 11th, 2012
      Location
      SE Texas
      Posts
      87
      Vehicles
      2014 Tundra; 2013 Sequoia
      10-04-2012 03:19 PM #3896
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I read somewhere that the diesel issue in the US is they just don't have the refining capacity to meet anything close to our road diesel fuel demand- add in the diesel fuel refining infrastructures developed in other countries/markets due to their past history of higher diesel use. So the US imports almost all(?) diesel fuel for road use.
      And what incentive do the oil companies have to set up more diesel refineries in the US when they can refine gas cheap (due to cheap natural gas)and export it for big profits?
      It is not necessarily a factor of the refining capacity. It is not extremely difficult ot have the refinery change the balance of gas vs. diesel that they produce. The US does not import a majority of the diesel, we produce enough that we are actually an exporter of diesel.

      Quote Originally Posted by Roadkilled78 View Post
      Yes, it is.

      In some places it is cheaper. In some places it costs more. Oftentimes there is more tax included in the price of diesel because the assumption is that vehicles using it (large trucks) cause more wear and tear on the roads. Back in the day this was more true than today but I'm pretty sure commercial trucks still outnumber diesel cars by an order of magnitude especially when you consider it by miles traveled.

      This is also why there is farm/off-road only diesel sold in rural and farming areas. No state/federal road taxes applied so it costs much less. It's also dyed and you're in big trouble if it is found in your 18-wheeler.
      Diesel is often typically taxed higher as well due to the older mentality of the 80's diesel cars, stinky, slow, polluters. The higher tax was to provide an incentive to stick with the "cleaner" gasoline powered vehicles.

      As for the offroad diesel, there is/was a difference in the sulfur content in the US. For the on-road diesel application we have the current ULSD standard (15ppm or less). Off-road diesel on the other hand is 500 ppm but required to move towards the ULSD standard.

    22. Geriatric Member VDub2625's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 3rd, 2003
      Location
      Fall River, MA
      Posts
      47,082
      Vehicles
      12 Golf 2.5, 90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline, 92 Golf GL
      10-04-2012 03:30 PM #3897
      Quote Originally Posted by tall tex View Post
      The US does not import a majority of the diesel, we produce enough that we are actually an exporter of diesel.
      Is it possible you're both right? i remember reading somewhere that the US exports and imports gas at high rates, maybe even at parity, but why, I have no clue (maybe that can be a question to answer here?).
      A2Resource
      .......

    23. Member drecian's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 5th, 2005
      Location
      South Oz
      Posts
      899
      Vehicles
      '76 MG, '96 Ford, Vespa
      10-10-2012 07:28 AM #3898
      Do seals around rotating parts leak more when the part is spinning? Examples being axle seals, rear main seals etc
      Jeff

    24. Member barry2952's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 13th, 2007
      Location
      Farmington Hills, MI
      Posts
      14,172
      10-10-2012 08:30 AM #3899
      Quote Originally Posted by drecian View Post
      Do seals around rotating parts leak more when the part is spinning? Examples being axle seals, rear main seals etc
      No, because parts expand with heat making the seal tighter.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

      I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

    25. Banned StormChaser's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 3rd, 2000
      Location
      Annapolis, MD
      Posts
      19,439
      Vehicles
      2006 Volvo V50, 1993 RX-7 R1, 1980 Hatteras 53MY, 2002 Grady White Release 283, 1958 Mohawk 14
      10-10-2012 08:39 AM #3900
      Disagree. Based on experience, I've seen them, time and time again, leak while loaded up bit the leak stops when not. For example the shaft seal on my boat. It is SUPPOSED to leak (drip) while the shaft is spinning, and even a slow drip while not spinning is fine...but in my case there is only a drip while the shaft is spinning.

    Page 156 of 213 FirstFirst ... 56106146152153154155156157158159160166206 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •