Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 112 of 139 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113114115116122 ... LastLast
    Results 3,886 to 3,920 of 4849

Thread: Go ahead...ask those car questions you were always afraid to ask...

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      09-29-2012 10:37 AM #3886
      Quote Originally Posted by Roadkilled78 View Post
      Yes, it is.

In some places it is cheaper. In some places it costs more. Oftentimes there is more tax included in the price of diesel because the assumption is that vehicles using it (large trucks) cause more wear and tear on the roads. Back in the day this was more true than today but I'm pretty sure commercial trucks still outnumber diesel cars by an order of magnitude especially when you consider it by miles traveled.

This is also why there is farm/off-road only diesel sold in rural and farming areas. No state/federal road taxes applied so it costs much less. It's also dyed and you're in big trouble if it is found in your 18-wheeler.
      I read somewhere that the diesel issue in the US is they just don't have the refining capacity to meet anything close to our road diesel fuel demand- add in the diesel fuel refining infrastructures developed in other countries/markets due to their past history of higher diesel use. So the US imports almost all(?) diesel fuel for road use.
      And what incentive do the oil companies have to set up more diesel refineries in the US when they can refine gas cheap (due to cheap natural gas)and export it for big profits?
      Last edited by BRealistic; 09-29-2012 at 11:14 AM.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

2. 09-29-2012 10:55 AM #3887
      Weird! Diesel is cheaper over here than gas.

Euro95: 1.870 Euro/L
      Diesel: 1.522 Euro/L

Vehicles
      91 Audi D11 V8, 71 Super, 07 E320 Bluetec, 05.5 Jetta 2.5
      09-30-2012 02:49 PM #3888
      why did older dtm cars have the exhaust tips point up?

Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M
      09-30-2012 02:53 PM #3889
      Quote Originally Posted by 71DubBugBug View Post
      why did older dtm cars have the exhaust tips point up?
      maximum pollution
      Teefy Buna

Quote Originally Posted by Sump View Post
      I'm sure a lot of these guys went home after the carwash and played a little hans solo.

Vehicles
      '77 Corolla, '95 BMW K75
      10-04-2012 01:57 PM #3890
      I've been trying to get my head around whether having flat/lower pressure tires affects the speedo.

My mindbomb is that a flatter tire makes the rim closer to the ground, so it's like a smaller radius tire. On the flip side, the tire still has the same 'circumference' to travel per wheel/axle rotation.

Anyone?
      Jeff

Vehicles
      90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline
      10-04-2012 02:02 PM #3891
      Not the same circumfrence since the tire is no longer a circle. The tire "bunches up" at the front (however slightly), and bows out at the sides. The rolling diameter (from the center point to the ground, an average along the whole turn of the wheel) is what matters.

But the, at max, 1-2" of difference from a flat tire won't affect the speedo greatly.
      A2Resource

Vehicles
      '77 Corolla, '95 BMW K75
      10-04-2012 02:42 PM #3892
      I think I'm slowly getting it, but in my head there is x amount of tread, and every revolution the axle makes, that x amount of tread must also make the full revolution unless is it slipping on the rim. Obviously the car is lower, so what am I missing here?

O.o
      Jeff

Vehicles
      Mr2 and 951
      10-04-2012 02:50 PM #3893
      Quote Originally Posted by drecian View Post
      I think I'm slowly getting it, but in my head there is x amount of tread, and every revolution the axle makes, that x amount of tread must also make the full revolution unless is it slipping on the rim. Obviously the car is lower, so what am I missing here?

O.o
      circumference of a circle = pi * diameter

only changing the diameter will change the circumference, and thus the speedo reading.
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      Something has gone horribly, horribly wrong when cockerpunk is representing the voice of reason. Holy ****.

Vehicles
      10-04-2012 02:52 PM #3894

O.o
      The tire is doing all kinds of bad rubing when it turns and is flat. Also the center section usually bows up and doesn't even touch the ground. It's flexible remember
      A2Resource

Vehicles
      '77 Corolla, '95 BMW K75
      10-04-2012 02:59 PM #3895
      Quote Originally Posted by VDub2625 View Post
      The tire is doing all kinds of bad rubing when it turns and is flat. Also the center section usually bows up and doesn't even touch the ground. It's flexible remember
      Ah I getcha now.
      Cheers!

Jeff

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 KR Expedition
      10-04-2012 03:19 PM #3896
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I read somewhere that the diesel issue in the US is they just don't have the refining capacity to meet anything close to our road diesel fuel demand- add in the diesel fuel refining infrastructures developed in other countries/markets due to their past history of higher diesel use. So the US imports almost all(?) diesel fuel for road use.
      And what incentive do the oil companies have to set up more diesel refineries in the US when they can refine gas cheap (due to cheap natural gas)and export it for big profits?
      It is not necessarily a factor of the refining capacity. It is not extremely difficult ot have the refinery change the balance of gas vs. diesel that they produce. The US does not import a majority of the diesel, we produce enough that we are actually an exporter of diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkilled78 View Post
      Yes, it is.

In some places it is cheaper. In some places it costs more. Oftentimes there is more tax included in the price of diesel because the assumption is that vehicles using it (large trucks) cause more wear and tear on the roads. Back in the day this was more true than today but I'm pretty sure commercial trucks still outnumber diesel cars by an order of magnitude especially when you consider it by miles traveled.

This is also why there is farm/off-road only diesel sold in rural and farming areas. No state/federal road taxes applied so it costs much less. It's also dyed and you're in big trouble if it is found in your 18-wheeler.
      Diesel is often typically taxed higher as well due to the older mentality of the 80's diesel cars, stinky, slow, polluters. The higher tax was to provide an incentive to stick with the "cleaner" gasoline powered vehicles.

As for the offroad diesel, there is/was a difference in the sulfur content in the US. For the on-road diesel application we have the current ULSD standard (15ppm or less). Off-road diesel on the other hand is 500 ppm but required to move towards the ULSD standard.

Vehicles
      10-04-2012 03:30 PM #3897
      Quote Originally Posted by tall tex View Post
      The US does not import a majority of the diesel, we produce enough that we are actually an exporter of diesel.
      Is it possible you're both right? i remember reading somewhere that the US exports and imports gas at high rates, maybe even at parity, but why, I have no clue (maybe that can be a question to answer here?).
      A2Resource

Vehicles
      '77 Corolla, '95 BMW K75
      10-10-2012 07:28 AM #3898
      Do seals around rotating parts leak more when the part is spinning? Examples being axle seals, rear main seals etc
      Jeff

10-10-2012 08:30 AM #3899
      Do seals around rotating parts leak more when the part is spinning? Examples being axle seals, rear main seals etc
      No, because parts expand with heat making the seal tighter.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      2006 Volvo V50, 1993 RX-7 R1, 1980 Hatteras 53MY, 2002 Grady White Release 283, 1958 Mohawk 14
      10-10-2012 08:39 AM #3900
      Disagree. Based on experience, I've seen them, time and time again, leak while loaded up bit the leak stops when not. For example the shaft seal on my boat. It is SUPPOSED to leak (drip) while the shaft is spinning, and even a slow drip while not spinning is fine...but in my case there is only a drip while the shaft is spinning.

10-10-2012 09:26 AM #3901
      Quote Originally Posted by StormChaser View Post
      Disagree. Based on experience, I've seen them, time and time again, leak while loaded up bit the leak stops when not. For example the shaft seal on my boat. It is SUPPOSED to leak (drip) while the shaft is spinning, and even a slow drip while not spinning is fine...but in my case there is only a drip while the shaft is spinning.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      2006 Volvo V50, 1993 RX-7 R1, 1980 Hatteras 53MY, 2002 Grady White Release 283, 1958 Mohawk 14
      10-10-2012 09:59 AM #3902
      Really? Why that reaction? Fluid dynamics is fluid dynamics. Seals under pressure/stress will leak more.

10-10-2012 10:06 AM #3903
      Quote Originally Posted by StormChaser View Post
      Really? Why that reaction? Fluid dynamics is fluid dynamics. Seals under pressure/stress will leak more.
      In case you hadn't noticed he was specifically asking about automotive seals in a car question thread. Please show me where there is any "pressure" on wheel bearing seals. How about tail shaft seals? Even the rear main he mentions has no "pressure" acting against it except crankcase gases.

Nobody was talking about boat shaft seals.
      Last edited by barry2952; 10-10-2012 at 10:11 AM.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      10-10-2012 12:58 PM #3904
      My Passat's front crack seal has a massive leak only when running, but that's because it's only bathed in oil when the pump is pumping. I suspect that's true for most seals in a car, since the oil otherwise just sits in the pan (except when cooling down and dropping down to it, and some areas where oil is hung up).

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
      A2Resource

Vehicles
      '77 Corolla, '95 BMW K75
      10-11-2012 07:21 AM #3905
      My ...since the oil otherwise just sits in the pan (except when cooling down and dropping down to it, and some areas where oil is hung up).
      I totally overlooked that (not so) little fact...
      Jeff

Vehicles
      10-25-2012 07:20 PM #3906
      How come more manufacturers don't make FWD cars FMF? basically, take the standard layout for FWD, with the engine and transmission side by side, and move the differential to the front, instead of the rear, so the wheels can be pushed further forward?
      A2Resource

Vehicles
      '01 GTI VR6, '98 XJ Cherokee, '04 Mazda 3
      10-25-2012 10:48 PM #3907
      Packaging and cost.

Vehicles
      10-25-2012 10:57 PM #3908
      Doesn't seem like it would cost much, and packaging stays mostly the same except the front wheels are further forward...
      A2Resource

Vehicles
      It's broken.
      10-25-2012 11:05 PM #3909
      Doesn't seem like it would cost much, and packaging stays mostly the same except the front wheels are further forward...
      If you flip the engine around, you've pretty much got the engine stuffed right up against the firewall which is a hassle for either intake or exhaust, depending on the engine. You can only tilt the engine so far forward because you'll now have a halfshaft in the way and it's against the angle of the hoodline. Also, you've now got to figure out where to put the rack since the diff will now probably be pretty close to where the radiator is and the engine and transaxle now sit where it used to be. Once you've got that figured out where are you going to put the steering shaft and make it work for R/L hand drive cars. Also, now that you've stuffed the engine against the firewall you've now got to figure out where you're going to put your brake master/booster and clutch master, if it's going to have one, since they're usually on the firewall, and remember it has to work in Right and Left hand drive markets as well. Also, many radiators and condensers are wider than the narrowest part of the wheel house so you've got to consider total wheel movement in this as well as moving the wheel house forward that much will most likely impinge on the radiator core support.

There is a lot that goes into that kind of packaging, even if it sounds straight forward (and at the outset, it does).

Vehicles
      Yaris x2
      10-25-2012 11:26 PM #3910
      How come more manufacturers don't make FWD cars FMF? basically, take the standard layout for FWD, with the engine and transmission side by side, and move the differential to the front, instead of the rear, so the wheels can be pushed further forward?
      Old Saabs are sort of like that, with the engine mounted longitudinally "backwards" (accessories like alternator, A/C compressor face the firewall) with the clutch at the front of the engine compartment and the transmission under the engine.

Last edited by adrew; 10-25-2012 at 11:28 PM.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Vehicles
      It's broken.
      10-25-2012 11:32 PM #3911
      Technically though that's still FF as the axle centerline still appears to be behind the front of the engine. In his question, the front axle centerline would have to be all the way up there by the radiator.

Vehicles
      Six Speed Satanizer
      10-26-2012 02:52 AM #3912
      Is this accurate? I'm thinking it would have to be a traditional non gel type of toothpaste.

Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      You are in the land of rust and honey.

Vehicles
      10-26-2012 02:56 AM #3913
      I don't think it would be that stupid a redesign. I use Volkswagen as my frame of reference. No redesign of the engine at all, nor of the firewall (except that you can move it closer if you wish). Just flip the diff to the front (basically flip the trans over on itself). Basically the diff and axle takes up the gap between the engine and radiator, and leaves a big gap behind it.

A2Resource

Vehicles
      89'Helio jetta"now" 87' Toyota 4x4 22r"now",91'jetta,gone,00'passat,gone,'90 jetta,gone
      10-26-2012 03:52 AM #3914
      Does anyone have a picture of 1985-1992 vw jetta driver side front frame rail with electrical connections, beside radiator near front bumper?? I Cleaned up battery tray area and didn't label connecting wires.
      Part numbers on Plugs-171-919-379A....161-971-989A..171-919-141...171-971-934A....191-951-195 Not sure which plugs connects to which?
      Thanks in advance!

Vehicles
      10-26-2012 04:09 AM #3915
      I can help but that isn't an "afraid to ask" question.

A2Resource

Vehicles
      '77 Corolla, '95 BMW K75
      10-26-2012 06:27 AM #3916
      Quote Originally Posted by Biff Beltsander View Post
      Is this accurate? I'm thinking it would have to be a traditional non gel type of toothpaste.

Possibly.

I use toothpaste to polish out fine scratches on my watches (leaves them smelling minty fresh too!), so I'd say the concept would work. Might have better luck with something more abrasive like cutting compound though.
      And yes, I use the traditional non gel stuff on my watches.
      Jeff

Vehicles
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI. 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6. 2005 Chrysler T&C.
      10-26-2012 06:31 AM #3917
      Possibly.
      Toothpaste is just a really gentle polish, so it sounds plausible. I've also heard it's great for removing shotgun spores from vinyl siding.
      Bro, do you even lift? When you only have 90 horsepower, you don't ever lift.
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI - 1996 GTI VR6 - YouTube Track Videos - flickr

Vehicles
      i like them unique
      10-26-2012 08:49 AM #3918
      I have the remote key start option on my car (toyota oem), is there anyway to keep it running when i try to enter the vehicle? Because it auto shuts off once i pull on the door handles..

Its a safety feature but extremely annoying.. (there's no mention of this in the manual)

Vehicles
      NB Miata
      10-26-2012 08:54 AM #3919
      Possibly.

I use toothpaste to polish out fine scratches on my watches (leaves them smelling minty fresh too!), so I'd say the concept would work. Might have better luck with something more abrasive like cutting compound though.
      And yes, I use the traditional non gel stuff on my watches.
      Using toothpaste on headlights isn't worth it, because it's just a massive pain in the ass and the products specifically made for the job of buffing headlight lenses are so widely available and cheap. This is one of those "reddit/pinterest life hacks" circulated by people who are too intimidated by car maintenance to seek out the right product, they're comforted by the idea of using a household item.

Boom, 15 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-39008-Headl.../dp/B001AIZ5HY
      Splinter - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      I don't practice llanteria

35. Member
      Vehicles
      Euro Ford junk collection
      10-26-2012 09:01 AM #3920
      Quote Originally Posted by GTIVR6MK4 View Post
      I have the remote key start option on my car (toyota oem), is there anyway to keep it running when i try to enter the vehicle? Because it auto shuts off once i pull on the door handles..

Its a safety feature but extremely annoying.. (there's no mention of this in the manual)
      I have no experience with Toyota's system, but on Ford's it's a programable option.
      Maybe call your dealer and ask if it's that way too.

Page 112 of 139 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113114115116122 ... LastLast