Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 93 of 213 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697103143193 ... LastLast
    Results 2,301 to 2,325 of 5311

Thread: Go ahead...ask those car questions you were always afraid to ask...

Vehicles
      2008 Mazda 3
      09-10-2011 06:47 PM #2301
      My mom’s Chrysler Sebring just returned from the garage, they changed the oil level sensor since the oil light always kept going on at idle (and yes there was enough oil). The oil light still goes on one week after the repair which was 250$ by the way for a 40$ sensor. It’s going back to the dealer this week. Should I ask them for a discount of some sort since they didn’t fix anything?

Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M, 2014 JKU Sahara
      09-10-2011 06:47 PM #2302
      Quote Originally Posted by Lifelong Obsession View Post
      I've always wondered - why do the Toyota Tacoma, FJ Cruiser, 4Runner, and Lexus GX use 6 bolts for their wheels, while the larger, heavier Land Cruiser and Lexus LX can get away with 5?

(Of course, the Tundra and Sequoia use 6 bolts, but that's beyond the point.)
      The 5 bolt pattern is a new pattern 5-150, and uses 14mm studs. The 6 lug pattern uses 12 mm studs. The 5 lug pattern is actually stronger.
      Teefy Buna

Quote Originally Posted by Sump View Post
      I'm sure a lot of these guys went home after the carwash and played a little hans solo.

Vehicles
      09-10-2011 06:49 PM #2303
      Quote Originally Posted by 302W View Post
      Can fluid filled engine mounts fail without leaking fluid?

Oh, and I see the issue at hand and it reminds me of a question. Why do my lugnuts always get stuck in my sockets when using my impact wrench?
      Are you using black impact sockets, or normal silver ones?

If black, the nuts are probably cheap ones, or you're using metric when they are imperial, or vice versa. If you are using silver sockets they aren't really strong enough and are actually deforming, eventually they will crack.
      Teefy Buna

I'm sure a lot of these guys went home after the carwash and played a little hans solo.

09-10-2011 06:51 PM #2304
      Quote Originally Posted by VDub2625 View Post
      The corners just get wedged in the socket. Throw it at the ground a few times and it should pop out.
      It's the WORST, I actually had to replace a socket and lugnut as a result because one got wedged so hard. I think I should start breaking torque with my breaker bar instead of the impact like the tirerack guide says above.

Vehicles
      '12 Volt, '14 Cherokee, '02 954 Fireblade
      09-10-2011 08:06 PM #2305
      Quote Originally Posted by ThreadBomber View Post

If black, the nuts are probably cheap ones, or you're using metric when they are imperial, or vice versa. If you are using silver sockets they aren't really strong enough and are actually deforming, eventually they will crack.
      (Quality) Chrome sockets will hold hundreds of pounds of torque just fine. They are a no-no on impact tools though. The important thing is the correct size (duh) and 6 point socket for higher torque loads. Though a 12 point should have more than enough strength for 100lb/ft or so.

Vehicles
      12 Golf 2.5, 90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline, 92 Golf GL
      09-10-2011 08:31 PM #2306
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0_Mazda View Post
      My mom’s Chrysler Sebring just returned from the garage, they changed the oil level sensor since the oil light always kept going on at idle (and yes there was enough oil). The oil light still goes on one week after the repair which was 250$ by the way for a 40$ sensor. It’s going back to the dealer this week. Should I ask them for a discount of some sort since they didn’t fix anything?
      Are you joking? You shouldn't have to pay a cent if it's the exact same problem.
      A2Resource

Vehicles
      09-10-2011 09:42 PM #2307
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboWraith View Post
      (Quality) Chrome sockets will hold hundreds of pounds of torque just fine. They are a no-no on impact tools though. The important thing is the correct size (duh) and 6 point socket for higher torque loads. Though a 12 point should have more than enough strength for 100lb/ft or so.
      He mentioned he was using his impact wrench, hence why I replied the way I did.
      Teefy Buna

09-10-2011 09:43 PM #2308
      why does PENNDOT issue cheap inspection/emissions stickers that ALWAYS peel off my windshield?

09-10-2011 09:46 PM #2309

I'm using black sockets, but cheap harbor freight ones. I've had this issue with OEM lugs. And definitely right in terms of standard vs metric, I check thoroughly.

Vehicles
      NA Miata
      09-10-2011 09:47 PM #2310
      So apparently my car has 50/50 weight distribution or close to it. Does that mean I will never have to rotate my tires?

I am convinced the fronts will wear more quickly.
      I'll be in my bunk.

Vehicles
      09-10-2011 09:53 PM #2311
      Quote Originally Posted by muffintop View Post
      So apparently my car has 50/50 weight distribution or close to it. Does that mean I will never have to rotate my tires?

The fronts will wear more quickly because they turn and scrub. Always rotate your tires. Alignment plays a big factor in ntire wear, of course (and generally the rear is set more neutral than the front), but weight disrtibution as far as I know has nothing to do with it.
      A2Resource

09-10-2011 09:54 PM #2312
      Quote Originally Posted by muffintop View Post

You'll need to rotate tires if you want them to wear evenly. Front tires wear on the outer edge from turning so rotating them to the rear puts better turning tires on the front.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      '12 Volt, '14 Cherokee, '02 954 Fireblade
      09-10-2011 11:16 PM #2313
      He mentioned he was using his impact wrench, hence why I replied the way I did.
      Indeed he did. I missed it, wasn't trying to make you sound 'wrong'.

14. 09-11-2011 10:59 AM #2314
      Quote Originally Posted by MrMook View Post
      What's with these AMG brakes? I saw a set today, and they're massive!
      Are they a "double" caliper? How many pistons? They cover 25% of the rotor, so do they cause heat issues?

This setup is simply just two calipers run in series. Where it says amg are the calipers and the rest is just one big carrier. If I remember correctly, the calipers are only single piston, and you can't buy them individually from the dealer, they only come as a pair.

Vehicles
      2013 Focus - turbo edition
      09-11-2011 02:35 PM #2315
      Lets say someone puts a 'chip' in a GTI.

1) Where does this go - in the ECU?
      2) Why does it need a 'tune' and what is involved in a tune?
      3) Is the 'tune' going to be different for each GTI (assuming same model year etc)?
      Quote Originally Posted by feliks View Post
      I do not want to think what would have happened, if as a result of the vibrations, the resulting leaks in the fuel pool and the water came out of it ... Almost as a result of radiation inside the building and its three filling remains, you can not to re-seal it. ..

Therefore, even mild disturbances such methods may be used: diamond cut rope ..

Vehicles
      o_O
      09-11-2011 02:42 PM #2316
      Quote Originally Posted by sjt1985 View Post

1) Where does this go - in the ECU? Yes. Some are soldered in (older units, like Motronic, IIRC), and some just plug in to the board.
      2) Why does it need a 'tune' and what is involved in a tune? The tune is specific to the chip you order. You can get a custom chip made as well to match your setup. Most common chips for VW's (TT, GIAC) are pre-flashed to work with specific cam profiles, boost settings. I think this is what is meant by a "tune". If you put in a chip, you need to make sure all the hardware matches the software in order to get the most out of it. They tend to advance timing as well, so you typically have to run a higher octane gasoline
      3) Is the 'tune' going to be different for each GTI (assuming same model year etc)? See 2
      At least, that is how I understand it.

Vehicles
      09-11-2011 02:48 PM #2317

1) Where does this go - in the ECU?
      2) Why does it need a 'tune' and what is involved in a tune?
      3) Is the 'tune' going to be different for each GTI (assuming same model year etc)?
      1. There is no "chip" anymore. 15 years ago there was, you actually changed the chip in your vehicles ECU. Now, you are simply changing the software in the ECU. Most vehicles this is done with a cable connected you the cars OBD (on-board diagnostics) port. On the newest MkVI GTI's however VW has encrypted the ECU so that it needs to be removed and cracked open in order to be reprogrammed.

2. Companies like APR of Revo re-write the software to allow the vehicle to make more power. They alter any number of things, fuel map, boost map, spark map etc etc. This increases power and sometimes increases fuel mileage also. VW generally is very conservative with their programming and have to allow for the possibility of 87 octane being used.

3. Yes, depending on which model year and which engine you have, there are several different tunes. There are even four or five different tunes for each car/engine depending on how agressive you want to be and what fuel you want to use.
      Teefy Buna

18. Banned
      Outside the Circuit of the Americas; Austin,TX
      Vehicles
      2011 F-250, 2006 Matrix, 2005 Focus, 1994 Golf(Track toy)
      09-11-2011 02:52 PM #2318
      1. There is no "chip" anymore. 15 years ago there was, you actually changed the chip in your vehicles ECU.

I remember needing to solder in the new chip and I was very excited when you could just plug and play the new chip with no solder.
      Now-a-days it is extremely easy to 'chip' a car.
      But not as rewarding as tuning carbs.

Vehicles
      09-11-2011 02:57 PM #2319
      Quote Originally Posted by MrMook View Post
      At least, that is how I understand it.

They alter any number of things, fuel map, boost map, spark map etc etc.
      What do you mean by fuel map and spark map? Is it just timing/amount of fuel delivery and spark delivery? Same with boost map...

Are any mechanical adjustments made or just electrical?
      I do not want to think what would have happened, if as a result of the vibrations, the resulting leaks in the fuel pool and the water came out of it ... Almost as a result of radiation inside the building and its three filling remains, you can not to re-seal it. ..

Vehicles
      09-11-2011 03:03 PM #2320

What do you mean by fuel map and spark map? Is it just timing/amount of fuel delivery and spark delivery? Same with boost map...

Are any mechanical adjustments made or just electrical?
      The map just means the time when timing advance, boost pressure and fuel delivery are engaged/started. It's hard to explain without a diagram I suppose but you can picture a graph with one axis being RPM, and another being throttle input. You can alter when and how much of boost/timing advance/fuel pressure you want to add into the equation at any given RPM/throttle level. With higher octane fuel you can add more boost pressure and timing at earlier RPM, which increases power.

With a stage one chip, it's usually only software. Stage two for example is only software also, but you start making enough power where other parts start to become a big restriction. I think APR recommends an intake and exhaust for Stage 2 applications.
      Teefy Buna

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike
      09-11-2011 03:46 PM #2321
      Quote Originally Posted by DasHammer View Post
      But not as rewarding as tuning carbs.
      Psssht! Tuning CIS is where it's at!
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, Den Mother - Team Emmett

Vehicles
      09-11-2011 03:48 PM #2322
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      Psssht! Tuning CIS is where it's at!
      I have the best of both worlds. i get to tune CIS and install a chip in my ECU! It is even socketed!
      A2Resource

23. Member
      Vehicles
      5.3L Wrangler
      09-13-2011 10:01 AM #2323
      For a car/truck with an independant rear suspension... does the driveshaft have U joints?
      I know my car has a "guibo" or "flex disc", is that the only piece that allows movement in the shaft, since both the trans, and the differential center section are hard mounted?
      5.3L Wrangler work in progress
      Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Monkeys View Post
      "Less Forethought, More Welding"

09-13-2011 10:17 AM #2324
      Quote Originally Posted by deucestudios View Post
      For a car/truck with an independant rear suspension... does the driveshaft have U joints?
      I know my car has a "guibo" or "flex disc", is that the only piece that allows movement in the shaft, since both the trans, and the differential center section are hard mounted?
      The only reason it would have universals is if the alignment angle of the trans tail shaft and the pinion attachment wasn't perfect. IRS differentials don't move.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      09-13-2011 10:21 AM #2325
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      The only reason it would have universals is if the alignment angle of the trans tail shaft and the pinion attachment wasn't perfect. IRS differentials don't move.
      In the case of the miata (irs) it must have some sort of u-joint or CV joint. Here is a pic (are these CV joints?

Also - driveshaft on miata has U joints

Last edited by sjt1985; 09-13-2011 at 10:24 AM.

Page 93 of 213 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697103143193 ... LastLast