Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to change a flat tire on a Phaeton

1. 04-21-2009 01:03 AM #36
      Talk about self fulfilling prophecy, i read this post, and thought i should re-read it thoroughly just in case this ever happened.... got a flat 2 days later! I was lucky enough to be able to fix it at home with a proper floor jack and wheel chalks, but other than that everything went very smoothly according to Michaels Post. I write because my car did not have any suspension errors after putting the new wheel on, however, i had turned the engine over in order to access the jack mode and allowed the suspension system to fully inflate (?! not sure this is proper terminology) before turning off the engine. I did take the precaution to cycle through the high and normal suspension positions just in case. This was yet another example of why the TPMS is at he end of the day a good system that despite its faults (pun fully intended) is best heeded rather than dismissed. Of course I say that having had all of my TPMS sensors and controller replaced under the platinum extended warranty!

thanks for the post Michael, it ended up being extremely helpful ( more than I would have liked!)

dan s.

Vehicles
      2006, V6 TDI, Turca Anthracite. 1957 Land Rover Series 1.
      04-21-2009 03:14 AM #37
      Dan,

Could you explain what you do with wheel chalks?

Also, anyone, if you do not use the car's own jack but a 'proper floor jack' is there a specific position where it should be used to avoid under body damage? The car's own jack is designed to slot into a particular crease in the sill, as per the handbook, but I could not see an obvious lifting point for a conventional jack when I change my wheels recently.

PETER M

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      04-21-2009 08:09 AM #38
      Quote, originally posted by PeterMills »
      ...if you do not use the car's own jack but a 'proper floor jack' is there a specific position where it should be used to avoid under body damage?

Some information is available at this post, Lifting the Phaeton on a Hydraulic Lift - Precautions, which is listed in the Phaeton Forum 'Table of Contents' (FAQ by Category).

Michael

4. 04-21-2009 02:16 PM #39
      I put a wheel chalk under one of the front tires as a safety precaution. I was changing the passenger rear tire, and to my knowledge the parking brake only holds the rear tires. There was a location for the floor jack just inside the slim metal frame that had a rubber foot, i will try and take a picture tonight, this provided a good pivot point for the jack.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      May 04 V8
      04-21-2009 03:39 PM #40
      Err... I guess you mean a wheel choke...
      Chalk is... what a piece of chalk is made of (with which you write on a blackboard), hence the misunderstanding...

04-21-2009 04:22 PM #41
      uh, it could be a regional thing but I believe its called a chock not a choke or a chalk.
      No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

7. 04-21-2009 04:25 PM #42
      The truth be known, and spelled correctly, the term for that device to place
      in front or to the rear of a tire to help prevent movement is known as a 'chock'. Many aircraft especially have their wheels 'chocked' while on the ground, or least they used to. Just to clarify and/or prevent further misunderstanding.
      Daniel

8. Member
      Vehicles
      May 04 V8
      04-21-2009 05:14 PM #43
      Oops, very embarrassing You are right of course !
      I am a bit tired and my fingers typed on their own.

9. 04-21-2009 05:37 PM #44
      Zaphh,
      My response was not aimed at you specifically but to all that continue to belabor an honest mistake made by another forum member. There are more than enough spelling mistakes made by almost all that subscribe to this forum.
      I say it's time for everyone to either start using spell check or begin to overlook others spelling shortcomings and concentrate on Phaeton shortcomings or idiosyncrasies.
      Again, this is not a 'dump on Zaphh' day.
      I apologize if you took it this way.
      Daniel

10. 04-21-2009 07:24 PM #45
      Sorry for the misunderstanding, I believe the culprit in this case was spell check!

11. Member
      Vehicles
      May 04 V8
      04-22-2009 01:16 AM #46
      I think one should not write on a forum with less than 50% active neurons, but unfortunately, when this is the case, you are not conscious enough to realise it

Vehicles
      2006, V6 TDI, Turca Anthracite. 1957 Land Rover Series 1.
      04-23-2009 04:52 AM #47

Dear Dsolis, Zaph & Bouviers,

I think I started the chalk talk, sorry.

I genuinely imagined there was some chalk marking exercise required to properly change a wheel that I had missed! I was certainly not trying to pick up someone on a spelling error. Perhaps it is the way we pronounce things this side of the Atlantic that left me unable to tie 'chock' to 'chalk'.

Michael's link above to his hydraulic jacking post contained very good advice though I apologise for not first looking that up in the TOC.

PETER M

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Phaeton, 2011 VW CC, 2006 Passat, 2003 Passat, 2009 Porsche 911
      05-04-2009 09:34 PM #48
      I was doing some work on my car this weekend and pressed the two buttons indicated. However, the display did not show "tire changing mode" as the instruction book says. It did show that the car was in the lower or raising mode.

Did yours show a message when you pressed the two buttons? Did the car go up automatically?

Thank you,

cai

14. Member
      Vehicles
      May 04 V8
      05-05-2009 01:14 AM #49
      The car doesn't go up. I just says it is in "mode atelier", which would be the French translation for "workshop mode". So it should definitely say something special about it (maybe "jack mode" ?)

You need to keep both buttons down for several seconds, btw.

P.

Modified by Zaphh at 7:21 AM 5-5-2009

15. 11-16-2009 03:41 PM #50
      when i changed the front wheel,didn't put the suspension into jacking up mode before lifting the car up.When i put the car down,it didn't look collapsed,but got the message error "Level gearshift fault",sometimes it is yellow,sometimes red.
      How can i resolve this problem?
      Thanks

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      11-16-2009 05:39 PM #51
      Quote, originally posted by mindat »
      When i put the car down... I got the message error "Level gearshift fault",sometimes it is yellow,sometimes red. How can I resolve this problem?

Hi Mindaugas:

That is the easiest problem to solve in the whole world of Phaeton problem-solving.

Just start the car, press the button aft of the gear selector that adjusts ride height, then select the highest ride height (you do this by watching the display screen in the middle). Let the car rise up to the highest setting, which will be confirmed in the display between the tachometer and the speedometer. This takes about 10 seconds.

Now, press the same button again (button with a picture of a shock absorber on it), turn the big knob on the front information display to reset the ride height to the 'normal' level, and wait another 10 seconds.

The car will rise up and then go back down as you go through this excercise, and when you are finished, the message will be gone.

--------------------------------

The "Level Fault Workshop" message will sometimes appear after changing a tire, or after the car has been lifted on a hoist. This is because the suspension system reacts a bit like a cat (house pet) when you lift it up off the ground - it tries to keep it's feet on the ground until the last possible moment. As a result, it triggers an 'out of specification' warning when it is put back on the ground.

Cycling the suspension height up and then back down recalibrates the system and clears the fault.

It is NOTHING to worry about.

Michael

17. Member
      Vehicles
      DTR Marauder
      11-17-2009 11:39 PM #52
      Losing your lug nuts.

When you have your lug nuts off and either lose them in a snowy ditch or muddy field or some other way, remember you can take one lug nut off each of the other wheels and use the three lug nuts to drive slowly to the nearest garage or home ...

Modified by Aren Jay at 9:40 PM 11-17-2009

Aren - When people complain and say they are green and you are not, remember they are just green with envy.

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      11-18-2009 05:55 AM #53
      A better approach would be to avoid losing them in the first place, by just removing the foam tray that contains all the equipment necessary to change a tire, and putting the lug nuts in that tray as you remove them.

Michael

Last edited by PanEuropean; 05-02-2012 at 04:00 PM.

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      06-04-2011 05:07 PM #54
      Archival Note: See also this post, which provides details about Corrosion Prevention Precautions when removing and replacing Phaeton wheels.

It is unlikely that you will have a can of spray wax handy if you ever have to change a tire unexpectedly - but, later on, when you get the flat repaired, you can re and re the spare and apply the wax. I have two sets of wheels and tires (summer and winter), and I apply the wax each time I change wheels.

Michael
      Please don't send me technical questions via IM - instead, post your questions onto the end of the most appropriate thread in the FAQ, so that everyone can benefit from the answer, and everyone can assist in providing the answer. Thanks, Michael

Vehicles
      2008 3.0TDI Phaeton; 2009 1.4 Tiguan; 2005 V10 Phaeton; 1992 Golf Mk 2 Driver 1.8
      06-05-2011 10:38 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by PanEuropean View Post
      I have two sets of wheels and tires (summer and winter), and I apply the wax each time I change wheels.

Michael
      Me too - but the wax is hard to apply... it coagulates in the spray nozzle (or the tube attachment) and refuses to apply... it's easier in the summer than the winter... but still fiddly. And any excess, if not caught, spins out onto the alloy of the wheel and stains it. Sometimes I'm not sure that doing the right thing is the right thing to do... Still, I'll soldier on...

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      06-05-2011 06:03 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by n968412L View Post
      ...any excess, if not caught, spins out onto the alloy of the wheel and stains it...
      Yeah, I have that problem too. I have learned that the excess will usually spin out within the first 10 minutes of driving at highway speeds (well, in the summertime, at least ), so; I take a cloth and a small container of solvent with me the first time I drive the car after changing the wheels.

It's more of a PITA in the winter. The excess wax won't spin out if it is a cold day - instead, the wax waits until the rims get warm as a result of braking action, then it spins out when you least expect it to.

Such is life... ...but at least it makes it easy to re and re the wheels at seasonal changeover time.

Michael
      Please don't send me technical questions via IM - instead, post your questions onto the end of the most appropriate thread in the FAQ, so that everyone can benefit from the answer, and everyone can assist in providing the answer. Thanks, Michael

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      05-02-2012 04:00 PM #57
      Photos re-hosted.

Michael

Vehicles
      Phaeton 3.0 TDI V6 2007 tuned 280HP, Kawasaki ZZR-1100, Honda C50, Segway i2, Honda Lead 100
      05-07-2012 07:37 PM #58
      Good evening,

I noticed today, when applying the "jacking up mode" nothing actually happend and after a few seconds i get a failure warning. Manually selecting to the highest level works fine however.

What could be wrong here?

Wouter
      Last edited by wouterjansen60; 05-07-2012 at 10:03 PM.

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      05-07-2012 09:29 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by wouterjansen60 View Post
      I noticed today, when applying the "jacking up mode" nothing actually happend and after a few seconds i get a failure warning. Manually selecting to the highest level works fine however.

Hi Wouter:

I don't think anything is wrong. "Jacking Up Mode" is just a fancy way of saying 'turning off the suspension controller'. Thus, it is kind of understandable that the car might give a suspension failure warning if the controller is turned off by invoking the 'Jacking Up Mode'.

Changing the height of the car (with the other button) simply wakes up the suspension controller and turns it on again, that's why it clears the fault message.

Michael

Vehicles
      2008 3.0TDI Phaeton; 2009 1.4 Tiguan; 2005 V10 Phaeton; 1992 Golf Mk 2 Driver 1.8
      05-08-2012 04:41 AM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by wouterjansen60 View Post
      Good evening,

Wouter
      Hi Wouter - a few of us do have problems going into jack mode. There are quite a few posts in the past (can't just find any right now...) but certainly I've found that it is most reliably/repeatable if the engine has been run for some time before you try it (irrespective of what it says in the manual).

Might be to do with having sufficient supply of air... it has been speculated... ie not enough in the reservoir if the engine not been run for a bit.

Michael's advice sounds right. I nearly always get this immediately before the car announces it's finally gone into jack mode. This is based on my V6. I've only put my V10 into jack once.. and I can't remember if it behaved differently - but it might well do. This feels like the sort of thing that might at least display differenbliy between the various s'ware etc versions on the car.

Regards

Mike

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 V10 TDI Phaeton, 2010 Mercedes 350CLS
      09-22-2012 05:30 AM #61
      Just celebrated my acquisition (at last!) of a spare wheel and tyre at a reasonable price by searching this gem out and following Michaels advice ref printing out and storage of same.

Given that we have quite a few new owners on the forum recently, I thought it worthwhile to bring this back to the front page as anyone could be forgiven for expecting the procedure to be a little simpler than it is in reality.

All best,
      Steven

27. Member
      Vehicles
      Phaeton V8 2004, Range Rover Sport 2011, Mercedes Benz S300 2012 + Three lovely Porsches
      04-05-2014 03:47 AM #62
      Awesome post Michael

Salah
      Give a lot, expect nothing

28. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Phaeton V8 '04
      05-16-2014 05:46 PM #63
      After reading a great pic. post on changing a flat tire I decided to make sure I had all the factory tools, I have owned the car for just 2 weeks.

Well that's an exercise is gymnastics....the tire fits like a glove nested in its alcove in the trunk, is heavy and the darn cover on the well is totally in the way.

Removed the tool shroud, yup everything is where it should be, including the key for the anti theft lug nuts. Now hold the cover up with the top of your head, hold the laser light in your mouth and manhandle and leverage that spare wheel out. It is awkward and at least a two beer project.

I would suggest all you owners a least try it some weekend under ideal conditions in your driveway rather than waiting for a dark stormy night when you have to do it roadside.

Retired senior...I need a chauffeur....

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      05-16-2014 06:05 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by Not 007 View Post
      ...Now hold the cover up with the top of your head...
      It's much easier to use the hook provided to keep the cover over the spare tire well held up and out of the way. If you prefer, you can simply lift the entire trunk floor liner out and put it on the ground - it is just held in place by gravity.

Michael

30. 05-16-2014 06:43 PM #65
      It also helps if you get the jack out of the way first.

Vehicles
      05-17-2014 04:42 AM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by PanEuropean View Post
      It's much easier to use the hook provided to keep the cover over the spare tyre well held up and out of the way.
      This is an almost essential feature... the one on my V10 was broken so I got it replaced whilst the doors were being repaired 18 months ago. I think the new part was about 20GBP... but well worth it!
      Member of Le Club 2P

Vehicles
      2005 Phaeton V10 swb 4-seat, Jeep Commander Hemi, Ssangyong Korando
      05-18-2014 04:58 PM #67
      It's much easier to use the hook provided to keep the cover over the spare tyre well held up and out of the way.
      It doesn't stay in place when the foam trunk liner is in use, it releases and bangs your head. But that's hardly surprising. I need my head banging for leaving it in situ...

Chris
      -- I just bought a Phaeton. How do I..............................-- Upgrades, modifications, pampering
      -- Colours, factory options, reviews...............................-- Technical Reference
      -- Troubleshooting.................................................. ....-- See the TOC/FAQ (Index) for more details

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12