Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to change a flat tire on a Phaeton

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Phaeton V8 Mirror Silver, 2006 Touareg V10 TDI Off-Road Grey, 2008 Diamond DA40 XLS (airplane)
      10-27-2005 03:14 PM #26
      Michael:
      I just wanted to thank you for your pictures and explanation -- they were really useful!
      My wife just called me on her cellphone with the "flat tyre" indication, and rather than waiting for someone to come change the flat tire, she decided to change it herself (my wife's actually very good with mechanical bits). Following your step-by-step instructions and photos I guided her through the process over the phone. It only took about 20 minutes.
      So your instructions let me be a "virtual OnStar advisor" today. Again, my wife and I thank you.
      - Dave
      P.S. I haven't seen it yet (I'm still at work), but my wife found the cause of the flat was a big nail in the sidewall -- I guess we'll see if it can be repaired.
      The only strange thing about this episode was that after the "Flat Tyre" indication, the system showed all 5 tires (including the spare) indicating the yellow warning trianges. My wife had to look at the tires to figure out which one was flat (it was obvious).

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Phaeton V8 Mirror Silver, 2006 Touareg V10 TDI Off-Road Grey, 2008 Diamond DA40 XLS (airplane)
      11-03-2005 05:50 AM #27
      I confirmed that the tire couldn't be repaired. It was a large staple with both sharp ends penetrating the tire just where the sidewall joins the tread.
      Obtained a replacement tire from TireRack for $213
      Again, the only strange behavior was that (with the flat tire temporarily placed in the spare) the TPMS continued to say that all 5 tires were flat (yellow warning triangles on all 5 tires!).
      - Dave

Vehicles
      2015 Golf Highline
      11-12-2006 06:13 AM #28
      There is additional information about the 'Tommy Bar' (the little screw-in dowel that is used to assist in installing the replacement tire) at this post: 'Tommy Bar' (guidance tool for tire changing).
      Michael

Vehicles
      2004 Phaeton W12, 1987 Porsche S4 supercharged, 1992 GMC Sierra C1500 SLE, 2009 Pontiac G6 coupe
      07-31-2007 04:42 PM #29
      I found out I have a non repairable tire because of a piece of metal lodged right where the sidewall meets the tread. I had then put the spare on and was planning on driving to Chicago in the morning.
      Obviously a new tire is going to be slightly larger than on with 19K miles. I didn’t measure the tread depth, so I don’t know the exact difference but it appeared to be pretty slight. Beside the false warnings due to the flat spare… is this likely going to cause other problems?
      I really don’t want to get new tires until winter. I was planning on having winter tires put on the OEM rims. Then I could get some large wheels to put summer tires on in the spring.

Vehicles
      2015 Golf Highline
      07-31-2007 11:22 PM #30
      Hi Kurt:
      I had a similar prediciment a few years ago. My dealer suggested the following:
      1) Put the spare (presumably unused) and the new tire on the rear axle.
      2) Put the best two of the three remaining on the front axle.
      3) Put the worst one in the trunk as the spare.
      I did that, and everything worked perfectly - no TPMS problems, no ABS problems, no problems of any kind.
      Michael

Vehicles
      2015 Golf Highline
      04-11-2009 08:03 PM #31
      Here are the torque specifications for the bolts that hold the wheels on the car:
      30 N·m (the initial tightening force, when the wheel is off the ground) is 22 lbf-ft.
      120 N·m (the final tightening force, when the wheel is on the ground) is 88 lbf-ft.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Phaeton, 2011 VW CC, 2006 Passat, 2003 Passat
      04-15-2009 08:10 PM #32
      This thread, as some others that I have read in this forum, is excellent. This is one of the most informative and complete forum that I can remember.
      I have a question, before I am in dire need for an answer:
      Were I to take my car to Costco, or another tire installer, when should the "tire changing mode" be invoked? Should I do it when I park the car in the lot, hence the car will be driven a short distance in this condition. Or, should I give instructions to the technician and hope that he follows them?
      In other words, can the car be driven in the tire changing mode at all?
      Thank you,
      cai

Vehicles
      2015 Golf Highline
      04-15-2009 11:52 PM #33
      "Tire Changing Mode" is, in simplest form, turning off the air suspension.
      The car will turn the air suspension back on again once it reaches about 5 to 8 km/h (about 5 MPH). Which means that you should probably offer to go inside and make the adjustment for the technician once he has the car positioned over top of the lift.
      Michael

9. Member
      Vehicles
      04-16-2009 08:16 AM #34
      Thank you for your prompt answer.

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Phaeton 2+2 V8 and 2011 Nissan Juke
      04-16-2009 10:08 AM #35
      Hello cai,
      My version, and it may be only my version.
      I've recently had several tire/wheel changes done at a tire and wheel dealer
      not familiar with the Phaeton and its 'jack mode'. The shop uses only large floor jacks for all their work, no lifts other than that. I drove into the work bay
      and immediately put the vehicle into the jack mode.
      At home I use the jack mode as well even when changing or checking a tire and wheel. My opinion is that it's a good habit to use whenever possible and
      obviously doing it yourself removes any doubt(s), once you have the learned the procedure. They may be situations of course where you are not permitted
      or the circumstances are different.
      Daniel

11. 04-21-2009 01:03 AM #36
      Talk about self fulfilling prophecy, i read this post, and thought i should re-read it thoroughly just in case this ever happened.... got a flat 2 days later! I was lucky enough to be able to fix it at home with a proper floor jack and wheel chalks, but other than that everything went very smoothly according to Michaels Post. I write because my car did not have any suspension errors after putting the new wheel on, however, i had turned the engine over in order to access the jack mode and allowed the suspension system to fully inflate (?! not sure this is proper terminology) before turning off the engine. I did take the precaution to cycle through the high and normal suspension positions just in case. This was yet another example of why the TPMS is at he end of the day a good system that despite its faults (pun fully intended) is best heeded rather than dismissed. Of course I say that having had all of my TPMS sensors and controller replaced under the platinum extended warranty!
      thanks for the post Michael, it ended up being extremely helpful ( more than I would have liked!)
      dan s.

Vehicles
      2006, V6 TDI, Turca Anthracite. 1957 Land Rover Series 1.
      04-21-2009 03:14 AM #37
      Dan,
      Could you explain what you do with wheel chalks?
      Also, anyone, if you do not use the car's own jack but a 'proper floor jack' is there a specific position where it should be used to avoid under body damage? The car's own jack is designed to slot into a particular crease in the sill, as per the handbook, but I could not see an obvious lifting point for a conventional jack when I change my wheels recently.
      PETER M

Vehicles
      2015 Golf Highline
      04-21-2009 08:09 AM #38
      Quote, originally posted by PeterMills »
      ...if you do not use the car's own jack but a 'proper floor jack' is there a specific position where it should be used to avoid under body damage?

Some information is available at this post, Lifting the Phaeton on a Hydraulic Lift - Precautions, which is listed in the Phaeton Forum 'Table of Contents' (FAQ by Category).
      Michael

14. 04-21-2009 02:16 PM #39
      I put a wheel chalk under one of the front tires as a safety precaution. I was changing the passenger rear tire, and to my knowledge the parking brake only holds the rear tires. There was a location for the floor jack just inside the slim metal frame that had a rubber foot, i will try and take a picture tonight, this provided a good pivot point for the jack.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      May 04 V8
      04-21-2009 03:39 PM #40
      Err... I guess you mean a wheel choke...
      Chalk is... what a piece of chalk is made of (with which you write on a blackboard), hence the misunderstanding...

04-21-2009 04:22 PM #41
      uh, it could be a regional thing but I believe its called a chock not a choke or a chalk.
      No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      04-21-2009 04:25 PM #42
      The truth be known, and spelled correctly, the term for that device to place
      in front or to the rear of a tire to help prevent movement is known as a 'chock'. Many aircraft especially have their wheels 'chocked' while on the ground, or least they used to. Just to clarify and/or prevent further misunderstanding.
      Daniel

18. Member
      Vehicles
      May 04 V8
      04-21-2009 05:14 PM #43
      Oops, very embarrassing You are right of course !
      I am a bit tired and my fingers typed on their own. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthdown.gif[/IMG]

19. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      04-21-2009 05:37 PM #44
      Zaphh,
      My response was not aimed at you specifically but to all that continue to belabor an honest mistake made by another forum member. There are more than enough spelling mistakes made by almost all that subscribe to this forum.
      I say it's time for everyone to either start using spell check or begin to overlook others spelling shortcomings and concentrate on Phaeton shortcomings or idiosyncrasies.
      Again, this is not a 'dump on Zaphh' day.
      I apologize if you took it this way.
      Daniel

20. 04-21-2009 07:24 PM #45
      Sorry for the misunderstanding, I believe the culprit in this case was spell check!

21. Member
      Vehicles
      May 04 V8
      04-22-2009 01:16 AM #46
      I think one should not write on a forum with less than 50% active neurons, but unfortunately, when this is the case, you are not conscious enough to realise it

Vehicles
      2006, V6 TDI, Turca Anthracite. 1957 Land Rover Series 1.
      04-23-2009 04:52 AM #47

Dear Dsolis, Zaph & Bouviers,
      I think I started the chalk talk, sorry.
      I genuinely imagined there was some chalk marking exercise required to properly change a wheel that I had missed! I was certainly not trying to pick up someone on a spelling error. Perhaps it is the way we pronounce things this side of the Atlantic that left me unable to tie 'chock' to 'chalk'.
      Michael's link above to his hydraulic jacking post contained very good advice though I apologise for not first looking that up in the TOC.
      PETER M

23. Member
      Vehicles
      05-04-2009 09:34 PM #48
      I was doing some work on my car this weekend and pressed the two buttons indicated. However, the display did not show "tire changing mode" as the instruction book says. It did show that the car was in the lower or raising mode.
      Did yours show a message when you pressed the two buttons? Did the car go up automatically?
      Thank you,
      cai

24. Member
      Vehicles
      May 04 V8
      05-05-2009 01:14 AM #49
      The car doesn't go up. I just says it is in "mode atelier", which would be the French translation for "workshop mode". So it should definitely say something special about it (maybe "jack mode" ?)
      You need to keep both buttons down for several seconds, btw.
      P.

Modified by Zaphh at 7:21 AM 5-5-2009

25. 11-16-2009 03:41 PM #50
      when i changed the front wheel,didn't put the suspension into jacking up mode before lifting the car up.When i put the car down,it didn't look collapsed,but got the message error "Level gearshift fault",sometimes it is yellow,sometimes red.
      How can i resolve this problem?
      Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast