Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: all you ever needed to know about **stretched tires and poke** but were afraid to ask

1. 10-11-2005 04:51 PM #1
      it seems as of late there is a metric assload of hate directed towards those of us who run stretch or about stretch in general. thought i would throw this up to educate or help out those of you with questions.

what is stretch?
      - "stretch" refers to stretching a narrower tire over a wider wheel, the sidewalls stretch from the lip to the tread

why do stretched tires?
      - well the whole thing started in germany/belgium, local laws required that the tire tread be within the fender line. well that doesnt allow one to run wider or lower offset wheels, so they put narrower tires on the wheel to maintain legality

- when you would like to run really wide or low offset wheels and keep the tire tread at the fender

- when you would like to go really low and not rub

isnt this unsafe?
      - there hasnt been any soild evidence that running a stretched tire is any more dangerous than a regular tire.

where can i get tires stretched?

-any reputable wheel/tire shop should be able to do it. i know when i did a 215-45 kumho on a 8.5" wheel, it took one shop 90lbs to pop the bead. getting a 225-45 on a 9 and a 245-40 on a 10.5 took another shop 50 lbs

can't you afford the right tire size?
      - the tire that stretch the most tend to be at the top of the price list, so it isnt an issue

what tires stretch best?
      - from what i have seen, the best tires with regards to stretch are:
      toyo t1-s
      dunlop sp9000
      dunlop sp8080e
      falken fk451

im sure there are more, but look for a tire with a rounded shoulder and a lip protector, they tend to give the "desirable" look

but staggered wheels are stupid on fwd cars, arent you worried about handling?
      - its all about looks, you wont see anyone with low offset deep dish wheels flopping around the autox course.

what size/offset wheels are the best for a staggered look

- its all about personal preference. me, i have 17x9et26 and 17x10.5et26 and i couldnt ask for a better setup. some may not like the look but thats why people build their cars for themselves

arent you worried about curbing a wheel?

- take a look in the classifieds and count the number of wheels on regular tires compared to those on stretched tires with damage.

Quote, originally posted by 02blkgtivr6 »
      what if you get a puncture in the tire from a nail and you're going 65mph and the tire loses air rapidly, will it stay beaded (proper term?) as long as a regular sized tire would? do stretched tires need to have above a certain tire pressure to stay beaded?

-
      one thing about running stretched tires, the driver tends to be a bit more careful because of the cost of the wheels, i definately drive more alert with the tramonts than i do my stock wheels.

and as far as loss of pressure is concerned, i tested my wheels the other day after putting them on, i drove around one day (~60 miles mixed highway/city) and one tire was at 10psi, no visual or performance cues.

the main reason for a tire popping a bead is sidewall flex, not internal pressure. like i said, it took ~90lbs to mount my one set, there is no way taht driving forces would add to exceed that pressure, let alone the 40lbs it took to do this set

Quote, originally posted by LA20 »
      From my understanding, stretching tires is just putting smaller tires on a bigger rims, like 215 on a 19"x8.5 or something like that. But to get that tire outside the fender, dont we need spacers or something? or as long you have stretch tires, you will achieve "the look" on the rear wheels?

-you can do one of 2 things: 1- use spacers, 2- pick a wheel or have one made that provides an offset such that when mounted it will have the look you want

Quote, originally posted by LA20 »

oke, it seems clear now. what et usually gives that kind of look? and with that kind of offset or by using spacers, wont the tire tread falls under or outside the fender just like that? It it is, then why we need to stretch the tires again??

answer:

Quote, originally posted by tivs31 »

the thing is that in most cases people are running a wide, low offset wheel, which would allow them to run a large amount of dish....

the proper offset for a mark 4 front fender is about 30-32 with an 8.5" wheel, but with the strech idea, one could run a 20-25 (would poke outside the fender about 1/2") without rubbing and without being against the law.

the addional 1/2" outside the fender would also allow you to run a 9" wide wheel in the front as well

feel free to post up your opinions, i'll add them to this post as i see necessary

what is the english conversion for a metric assload?

-2.8738 metric assloads = 1 US assload

helpful links

mk4 stretched tire example thread:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2237406

wheel offset calculator

http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

tire size calculators

http://gs.tolan-hoechst.com/tirecalc.htm

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html

Modified by billcosbyluvsvr6s at **** PM 10-12-2005

Modified by billcosbyluvsvr6s at 12:34 AM 10-13-2005

Modified by billcosbyluvsvr6s at 1:00 AM 10-13-2005

Vehicles
      01 Sand pail, shovel not included
      10-11-2005 04:52 PM #2

nice thread

that is all

this should also be added to the faq

3. 10-11-2005 04:53 PM #3
      very good idea nunzo, i've been getting a lot of tire stretch questions recently

Vehicles
      2001 Mojave GTI GLX
      10-11-2005 04:54 PM #4
      I like rims

Edit: AND TIRES

"Turning right in fifth gear from the left hand lane into the wrong end of a one-way street while indicating left, if at all."
      All the custom, none of the cool.
      "Trying to be the cool kid is so cool." - MkIV Scene

5. 10-11-2005 04:56 PM #5

6. 10-11-2005 04:58 PM #6

2.8738 US assloads = 1 metric assload

7. 10-11-2005 05:00 PM #7
      that's funny, cause I always thought us assloads were bigger than metric ones,

I think there is a photo out there somewhere...

8. 10-11-2005 05:00 PM #8
      sweet thread but this doesnt mean all the newbs wont stop asking idiotic questions regarding stretch. we need to make this a sticky in the faq mods.

9. 10-11-2005 05:01 PM #9
      Very well written thread, I knew about stretch but now I feel fully informed. You should write a weekly thread explaining stuff like this so people don't have to post 4000 threads with silly questions on them and an equal number of responses with "search" or "stupid question" responses.
      I also heard there is a new kind of stretching trend goin around where people take 15" tires and put them on 19" rims!

10-11-2005 05:01 PM #10
      definitly good info to know

11. 10-11-2005 05:05 PM #11
      now that i know some of the background/concept of the "Strech"
      its a cool idea and i dont frown on it as much.
      Thanks for shearing the light!

12. 10-11-2005 05:07 PM #12
      oh and btw, accoriding to Illinios law it is illegal to have tire tread outside of the fender as well.

I believe bobby digital was once threatened with a ticket for such and infraction, if only he would have bought a stratched set of tires he would not have had to worry about such a thing

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      10-11-2005 05:08 PM #13
      Quote, originally posted by Delux247’s1.8t »
      sweet thread but this doesnt mean all the newbs wont stop asking idiotic questions regarding stretch. we need to make this a sticky in the faq mods.

trust me, thats not going to stop people either.

I've never been a fan, for the love of god people, if you are going to do it, you need to be low. Stretching the tire to tuck under the fender when there is an inch and half of space between the top of the tire and the fender isn't functional and isn't pretty, which pretty much just leaves you with crap.

Dave

14. 10-11-2005 05:09 PM #14
      oh and btw, accoriding to Illinios law it is illegal to have tire tread outside of the fender as well.

I believe bobby digital was once threatened with a ticket for such and infraction, if only he would have bought a stratched set of tires he would not have had to worry about such a thing

well homeboy insisted on running those balony skins

Vehicles
      2000/VW/MK4 Jetta
      10-11-2005 05:12 PM #15
      def add to the FAQ.

16. 10-11-2005 05:12 PM #16
      Quote, originally posted by rs4-380 »
      if you are going to do it, you need to be low. Stretching the tire to tuck under the fender when there is an inch and half of space between the top of the tire and the fender isn't functional and isn't pretty, which pretty much just leaves you with crap.

i agree completely, although thats the look you get with people cheaping out and running 205-40's on 17x7.5's they got from the lkocal "tuner"

and my flares didnt help, i had the wheels right for stock fenders. i have a neuspeed front sway going on shortly

Vehicles
      A4 TDI, 87 Fridge
      10-11-2005 05:33 PM #17
      here are a couple helpful topics regarding tire sizes, might give some ideas what sizes stretch on which widths and so on:

what size to run with 8.5 & 9.5x18 - http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1954460

tire size thread - http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1952291

more are in the FAQ

oh and this should be too

Ya'll drink that red bull, I drink Hennessy for energy

BDC Garage

18. 10-11-2005 05:40 PM #18

19. Banned
      10-11-2005 06:15 PM #19
      Quote, originally posted by billcosbyluvsvr6s »

isnt this unsafe?
      - there hasnt been any soild evidence that running a stretched tire is any more dangerous than a regular tire.

Where are you getting these facts because I know PLENTY of people who have had blowouts/rim lips dis-engaging from the tire lips.

Stretching is retarded. <----- my blanket standpoint for the rest of my life or until space aliens create a super-stretchy tire to solve the above problems

20. 10-11-2005 06:20 PM #20
      maybe you should get some TV show to do a test

21. 10-11-2005 06:25 PM #21
      very informative, thanks for the info

Vehicles
      2001 gti vr6
      10-11-2005 06:28 PM #22
      Quote, originally posted by silveratljetta »
      maybe you should get some TV show to do a test

awesome thread

Vehicles
      92 16v, 95 M3
      10-11-2005 06:36 PM #23
      Has anyone stretched a toyo t1r or a Parada Spec-2? Also looking at Michelin's Pilot exalto PE2.

24. Banned
      10-11-2005 06:44 PM #24
      this thread is hotter than

good call

25. 10-11-2005 06:52 PM #25
      and it makes the rims look bigger.

26. 10-11-2005 06:53 PM #26
      Quote, originally posted by JKREW »

Where are you getting these facts because I know PLENTY of people who have had blowouts/rim lips dis-engaging from the tire lips.

Stretching is retarded. <----- my blanket standpoint for the rest of my life or until space aliens create a super-stretchy tire to solve the above problems

i havent run into one person in the 2.5 years ive run stretch that has had a blowout. **** ive seen more people running regular tires have more problems

i've daily driven extremely stretched tires on some of the worst roads in the country for about 15k and have never had a problem, and i have beat on my car from time to time

drift cars run stretch, and they drive their cars harder than any street driven car

Vehicles
      MK1 Rabbit ABA, MK4 JTi 1.8T, T4 Eurovan V6, MK6 Golf TDI (Owned MK1 Caddy, MK2 Jetta & B5.5 Passat)
      10-11-2005 07:04 PM #27
      Very cool write-up!!!

One correction though... stretching tires is alot older that you think. My opinion, it started with the lowriders. And the germans just improved upon that.

As far as handling, I have seen even drift cars stretching tire without a problem.

billcosbyluvsvr6s you get one of these...

Bernie M Chacon III
      dub-Nation.com ~ for the love of the veedub.

For sale/want to trade parts?Follow Me on FacebookOktoberfest Event & #OccupyBigBear - October 3-5 ‖ #ProjektMK6 ‖ #ProjektT4 ‖ #ProjektMK1

28. Banner Advertiser OEMplus.com's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Lots
      10-11-2005 07:25 PM #28
      its really simple, we like the look cause it reminds us guys of beautiful big boned girls with skimpy 3 sizes too small clothes on...

or...er...maybe not...

29. 10-11-2005 07:28 PM #29
      Quote, originally posted by OEMPlus »
      its really simple, we like the look cause it reminds us guys of beautiful big boned girls with skimpy 3 sizes too small clothes on...

or...er...maybe not...

30. 10-11-2005 07:36 PM #30
      excellent post ill throw my stretch up later

31. Banner Advertiser OEMplus.com's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Lots
      10-11-2005 07:36 PM #31
      Quote, originally posted by Turbo-D »
      Has anyone stretched a toyo t1r or a Parada Spec-2? Also looking at Michelin's Pilot exalto PE2.

Theres a guy on here that has the t1-r's on brock b4's, they stretch ok but not as good as the t1-s.

and would you believe it, he posts right above me!

:waves hand: hi chris

Modified by OEMPlus at 7:38 PM 10-11-2005

Vehicles
      '04 GTI that has rolled maybe 60' since September of '06
      10-11-2005 07:38 PM #32
      Quote, originally posted by billcosbyluvsvr6s »

isnt this unsafe?

I cannot buy this statement 100%. W/ some of the extreme stretches that I've see there is no way that they can be safe all the time. By all the time I mean "evasive manuvering to avoid an accident". For daily driving I have no doubt that they are safe. But what happens when some dip**** decides to get into your lane when your traveling on the highway at 70mph and you have to whip into another lane? W/ some of the stretches I can see them easily unseating the bead and that leads to alot of problems.

I realize that you didn't say this directly, but running stretched tires is not as safe as running properly sized tires. Less contact patch = less traction...less traction = less control and so on down the line.

I'm not a fan but to each his own. I just don't want some youg kid on this site to get the impression that there aren't risks when running strethed tires.

And PA law states that both the wheel and the tire must be contained w/in the fender. That's why almost all Jeeps that are running larger tires have flares around here. Now I doubt they'll enforce this when it comes to cars but you never know.

Modified by dragon813gt at 7:40 PM 10-11-2005

33. 10-11-2005 07:48 PM #33
      Quote, originally posted by OEMPlus »

Theres a guy on here that has the t1-r's on brock b4's, they stretch ok but not as good as the t1-s.

and would you believe it, he posts right above me!

:waves hand: hi chris

Modified by OEMPlus at 7:38 PM 10-11-2005

sup jan

34. 10-11-2005 07:51 PM #34
      that's funny, cause I always thought us assloads were bigger than metric ones,
      I think there is a photo out there somewhere...

Modified by StarvinMarvin at 7:14 AM 10-13-2005

Vehicles
      '94 LS400
      10-11-2005 08:10 PM #35
      chris, i got you covered

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast