Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Help with EPC warning light

1. 10-13-2005 07:15 AM #1
      Hi guys, my 1st post here

I'm new to cars so apologies if I come off as a newbie

My car: VW Golf IV 1.6S, year 2000, manual 4dr.

Ok, my EPC warning light is always coming on. It used to come on every now and then but now it seems more permanent. I don't really notice any major differences with the driving, except the gas pedal feels 'less smooth' when it's on (this could be my imagination).

The weird thing is the light will go off when I fill up with petrol and then come on when the tank is nearing empty again. This isn't always the case (sometime I fuel up and EPC stays on ) but it has happened a few times, so not sure if there is a relation.

Can anyone suggest any ideas, or experienced anything similar. I have a fault with the alarm/central locking that I will detail if anyone thinks it's relevant. It sucks cos I just lost my job and I don't have money to get diagnostics test for the time being. Should I stop driving it 'til then?

Thanks for any help.

2. 10-13-2005 08:37 AM #2
      1 - Check your brake lights (brake light switch a known issue)
      2 - if its not brake light switch run a vagcom on it.

3. 10-13-2005 09:10 AM #3
      Hi, thanx for replying.

When I press down on the brakes the lights do come on if this is what u mean by brake light switch.

Unfortuantely, I don't have access to a vagcom and no money to tke the car to a garage.

Before this whole EPC incident, I had an issue where the Exhaust Emission warning light came on (the one with the lightning bolt thru it). The car subsequently gave problems starting.

I took it to the garage and they ran the diagnostics and told me that there were issues with the air filter (i think) and the throttle. He said the throttle was xpensive so they fixed the air filter only and the light has gone since.

So I wonder, could the problem now be the throttle?

Thanx for any input guys.

Vehicles
      2010 Jetta TDI
      10-13-2005 09:12 AM #4
      EPC light is almost certianly the brake light switch. There is a DIY on replacing it

5. 10-13-2005 09:28 AM #5
      Holy ****, u guys were right!

I tried it a couple times at first and it worked but now when I press the brakes the lights only comin on every now and then.

Well, I'm so happy it's not something more serious, I'll go search for that DIY, thanx guys.

6. 10-13-2005 09:32 AM #6
      read the DIY carefully its pretty easy to install but just the wrong force and twist cna destroy the switch.. its about 14ish from dealership and you have take the panels off the car again diy avail.

the new switch should be purple.
      revised D

P.S there is a DIY for cleaning throttle boddy as well ... its a good idea to get yer car scanned for any stored errors.. but if you dont have a cel then yer good.

Modified by porksoda at 8:33 AM 10-13-2005

7. 07-09-2010 09:11 PM #7
      The EPC light is connected to a pressure sensor in the block. Open the oil filler cap, release the pressure (and check your oil while you're at it). If you don't have a real problem, the light should go out.

8. 07-13-2010 01:01 PM #8
      could the epc light be stored in the ecu somehow without being able to be erased via vagcom? my ecu that has my uni file on it won't let the car start because of the epc light. note that the light isn't on with my stock apr chipped ecu.

edit: sorry for bumping this, was only looking at the last post date.
      Last edited by MoreVeeDub; 07-13-2010 at 01:19 PM.

9. 07-15-2010 09:48 AM #9
      bump. still looking for more opinions. doing tb adaptation asap.

10. n00b
      Vehicles
      03 GTi VR6 24v
      08-19-2010 04:47 PM #10
      Sorry to bump this again but i also have a EPC problem but when mine goes the traction control (ESP) light is also on is this common?

11. 08-21-2010 02:43 PM #11
      yes it is. mine had a burnt chip on the ecu and had to be sent out for repair. first try doing a throttle body alignment/adaptation and then you're gonna have to look in to see if the ecu is toast. also i hear that the brake light switch can fix the issue as well. do a quick search. hope this helps

12. 11-26-2014 05:02 AM #12
      I have a 09 Jetta 2.0T Wulfsberg I believe it is a TSI. On my way home on the free way while accelerating I heard a not so loud pop come out of my engine compartment the check engine light flashed, the EPC light came on. Then it felt very sluggish almost like it was miss firing. Made it home. After looking on here and a couple other sites went back out to turn it on and it started up. Sounded normal until I tried to rev it up a little. I can smell gas coming out of the tail pipe and it sounds like at the engine one of the cylinders is not firing. I can hear compression but not normal like other cylinders that are firing. Any ideas on what it could be? There is 78,000 mi on it and gets oil changes every 3 to 4000 mi. I need help ASAP. It's my only means to work and back. Please help!