Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2000 VW Jetta VR6: anti-theft/electronic immobilizer activated

1. 10-15-2005 06:15 PM #1
      I have a 2000 VW Jetta VR6 that generally is a blast to drive but sucks alot of gas & has persistent, annoying problems. I've had it for 1 year & I've had just about enough of this car. Sometimes I feel like my car is posessed like Stephen King's Christine. :evil:
      I've had persistent problems with the anti-theft system randomly setting the alarm off for no apparent reason. I've had the keys replaced & reprogrammed (very expensive btw). And now, this past week it rained like hell here for several days. It started fine in the morning when I went to work but when I went back out at lunch the damn anti-theft system (electronic immobilizer as it says in the owner's manual) had activated & would not let me start the car. :angry:
      I think that there is a short somewhere that when it gets wet or damp causes the alarm to activate. This is the 3rd time this has happened & quite frankly I'm fed up with this damn car. It's still sitting there & I am stuck with no wheels until I can get this fixed. :angry:
      My dealership in Seattle told me that I have a malfunctioning door latch or trunk latch mechanism & that a VW dealer service shop must work on the car so they can connect it to their diagnostic & download an unlock code from VW HQ.
      The idiot(s) at VW that decided on this design & functionality should be publically flogged & humiliated but, being Germans, they might actually like it. :evil:
      Problem for me is that I am currently working a contract job in Marshall, MN & the closest VW dealers are each over 80 miles away; 1 in Sioux Falls, SD & 1 in Mankato, MN. So, now I'm faced with not only the yet unknown repair costs but also the enormous towing bill. :angry:
      Sorry for the length but I'm sure that you can tell I'm pissed at VW for making such a stupid design error. :yap:

Anyone out there know any tricks or workarounds so I can get my car operational & drivable?
      What about any downloadable computer programs that I can run from my laptop while connected to the car?

Thanks!
      :help:

Modified by NRGZRBNNY at 3:28 PM 10-15-2005

2. 10-15-2005 06:27 PM #2
      Quote, originally posted by NRGZRBNNY »
      Anyone out there know any tricks or workarounds so I can get my car operational & drivable?
      What about any downloadable computer programs that I can run from my laptop while connected to the car?

sorry dude no tricks, could possibly need a new guage cluster which is the immobilizer. And you cannot code that without bringing it to the dealer because we code them through the scan tool (5052) Via Geko an online network that gets the immo codes and does through that.

3. 10-16-2005 12:05 AM #3
      For a minute there I thought you wanted to steal a VW

4. 10-16-2005 12:19 AM #4
      1st and only post asking how to circumvent the OEM VW alarm....no, that's not shady at all let's all jump right on this.