Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to lift Jetta with a normal jack... but where?

1. Junior Member
      11-13-2005 04:10 PM #1
      Yep, I'm being lazy.

For starters, I just don't feel like paying a guy to switch tires.

Two, I don't own my own lift.

So I have to lift my car with ye olde floor jack. I don't like the scissor jack that VW gives me.

Where are good points to lift from? I used to lift my Mk III in the front from the motor mount - pretty easy to see with no plastic in the way!

I was thinking I could lift the car from the rear under the springs.

Sounds good? How about you experienced folks?

Vehicles
      2008 Cayman S, 2006 GLI, 2008 Rabbit
      11-13-2005 04:24 PM #2
      Are there any indentations on the textured lowers under the doors? My MkIV had such indentations, and I'd imagine the MkV does as well. In my defense, I can't just go outside and look as I have a GLI with factory sideskirts, so the area in question is covered.

*IF* you do have the indentations I speak of, you'll just want to carefully jack on the pinch weld right behind those indentations. The pinch welds are reinforced there specifically for jacking.

Ride In: 2008 Signal Green Cayman S Sport 378/700 .:. 2006 Plat Grey GLI .:. 2008 Sage Green Rabbit
      Ride On: 2010 Trek 2.1 .:. 2011 Fisher Cobia

3. Banned
      11-13-2005 05:54 PM #3
      Quote, originally posted by BRM10984 »
      Are there any indentations on the textured lowers under the doors? My MkIV had such indentations, and I'd imagine the MkV does as well. In my defense, I can't just go outside and look as I have a GLI with factory sideskirts, so the area in question is covered.

*IF* you do have the indentations I speak of, you'll just want to carefully jack on the pinch weld right behind those indentations. The pinch welds are reinforced there specifically for jacking.

Actually most VWs, including the latest have lift "pads" under the rocker panel in the front. Usually they are square indentations at the very edge of the under body right near where the wheel well ends. Because there is less stress on the rear jack points it is safe to life the car at the strengthened point where the floor panel meets the rocker panel.

Vehicles
      2008 Cayman S, 2006 GLI, 2008 Rabbit
      11-13-2005 05:55 PM #4
      If you're talking about the same lift "pads" that I'm thinking of, most folks have to add those after purchasing the car as they don't come on the car.

Perhaps you're talking about something totally different.

Ride In: 2008 Signal Green Cayman S Sport 378/700 .:. 2006 Plat Grey GLI .:. 2008 Sage Green Rabbit
      Ride On: 2010 Trek 2.1 .:. 2011 Fisher Cobia

5. Banned
      11-13-2005 06:14 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by BRM10984 »
      If you're talking about the same lift "pads" that I'm thinking of, most folks have to add those after purchasing the car as they don't come on the car.

Perhaps you're talking about something totally different.

Not the rubber items that you put on the floor jack. These are small embossed indented squares built into the floor panel that are actually reinforced to accept the use of a floor jack or commercial lift.

Take a look at the floor panel at the back of the wheel well. The squares are about 5" x 5".

Modified by golf strom at 6:15 PM 11-13-2005

Vehicles
      '91 GLI | '06 Jetta | '07 GTI | '12 GLI ||| Current: '11 Routan | '13 GTI
      11-13-2005 06:57 PM #6
      There are strenghthened points along the edge of the bodyline, immediately behind the front tires and immediately infront of the rear tires. Doesn't look like you would be able to jack it up there, but that's where you are supposed to do it. Looks like a vertical piece of sheet metal, doubled up.

7. Banned
      11-13-2005 07:18 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by madfella »
      There are strenghthened points along the edge of the bodyline, immediately behind the front tires and immediately infront of the rear tires. Doesn't look like you would be able to jack it up there, but that's where you are supposed to do it. Looks like a vertical piece of sheet metal, doubled up.

That's what I am talking about. If you use a floor jack on the rocker panel you may damage the pinch weld and have a rust problem.

Only use the emergency jack on the rockerpanel when absolutely necessary. NEVER use a floor jack in this location!

Vehicles
      11-13-2005 07:22 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by golf strom »

Not the rubber items that you put on the floor jack. These are small embossed indented squares built into the floor panel that are actually reinforced to accept the use of a floor jack or commercial lift.

Take a look at the floor panel at the back of the wheel well. The squares are about 5" x 5".

Modified by golf strom at 6:15 PM 11-13-2005

I just got back from under my car...no squares behind the wheel wells, just plastic covers.

Modified by madfella at 4:37 PM 11-13-2005

9. 11-13-2005 07:27 PM #9
      The owners manual references the lift points for the car. I had to have a tire patched because of a nail and we lifted the car with a floor jack at the points manual references. Everything seemed to work fine...

Vehicles
      11-13-2005 07:36 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by curraheevw »
      The owners manual references the lift points for the car. I had to have a tire patched because of a nail and we lifted the car with a floor jack at the points manual references. Everything seemed to work fine...

That's how I lifted mine to install the DV Spacer...worked fine for me. I think Golf Strom is speaking MKIV again.

11. 11-13-2005 07:40 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by madfella »
      I think Golf Strom is speaking MKIV again.

Ahhhh.......

12. 11-14-2005 07:48 AM #12
      so

1. is it ok to lift with a normal jack with out the flat rubber pads on it?

and

2. I should place the normal jack on the 5x5 squares which are also behind the same spots where the factory scissor jack would lift the car at the pinch welds?

13. Member
      Vehicles
      1995 Volvo 854 GLT Auto
      11-14-2005 07:56 AM #13
      yeah there are small "arrow" indentations, place the plate of your floor jack just behind them. It'll be very obvious once you get under the car.

I've jacked up my VE a few times... rotate wheels and install mudflaps.

Honestly, i wish the car had a center jacking point like my Volvo did. That made rotating tires so much easier.

14. 11-14-2005 03:08 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by Mrb00st »
      yeah there are small "arrow" indentations, place the plate of your floor jack just behind them. It'll be very obvious once you get under the car.

I've jacked up my VE a few times... rotate wheels and install mudflaps.

Honestly, i wish the car had a center jacking point like my Volvo did. That made rotating tires so much easier.

yeah i was looking under the car.... i was just a little paranoid because it felt soft under there.... i think it was covered with some sound/heat insulation material.

15. 11-14-2005 08:00 PM #15
      So just to be sure, i went under the car and took pictures:

is that the black square everyone is telling me to lift at? because i was pushing at it with my finger and it was giving way...

these pictures are from the front driver's side, and you can see the 5 inch strip that the stock scissor jack hooks up to.

Modified by OGSN0 at 5:03 PM 11-14-2005

Modified by OGSN0 at 5:03 PM 11-14-2005

Vehicles
      2008 Passat Wagon VR6 4motion, 2013 FIAT 500 Sport
      11-14-2005 08:39 PM #16
      Quote, originally posted by golf strom »

Actually most VWs, including the latest have lift "pads" under the rocker panel in the front. Usually they are square indentations at the very edge of the under body right near where the wheel well ends. Because there is less stress on the rear jack points it is safe to life the car at the strengthened point where the floor panel meets the rocker panel.

Those should ONLY be used all-4-at-once. They aren't designed to be used individually, and can bend if they are. See the jack pads thread in the MkIV forum to see what I mean.

For my Golf and my Jetta before that, I have always used the factory jack points on the sills, with a side lift jack pad to prevent scratches:

Once up, you'll need to find a place for the jack stands; not having seen the underside a MkV up close I can't help there!

Modified by jddaigle at 6:40 PM 11-14-2005

- Jeff
      B6 Passat 3.6 & 4motion Resource Thread
      Now: 2008 VW Passat 3.6 4motion Wagon, 2013 Fiat 500 Sport
      Then: 1987 Volvo 745GLE, 1989 Volvo 740GL, 1994 Volvo 940T, 1995 Infiniti G20, 2000 VW Passat 1.8T, 2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Ed (x2), 2004 VW Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI

17. 11-15-2005 05:59 AM #17
      Quote, originally posted by jddaigle »
      Those should ONLY be used all-4-at-once. They aren't designed to be used individually, and can bend if they are. See the jack pads thread in the MkIV forum to see what I mean.

Do you have a link to that MK4 thread about it?

Quote, originally posted by jddaigle »
      For my Golf and my Jetta before that, I have always used the factory jack points on the sills, with a side lift jack pad to prevent scratches:

Once up, you'll need to find a place for the jack stands; not having seen the underside a MkV up close I can't help there!

I just ordered those for $21.95.

But what part of the underbody is the lift pad? is it the part covered with the plastic with the golfball-like dimples?

18. Junior Member
      11-16-2005 07:20 AM #18
      In my crazy, hazy younger days I had tried lifting the car with the emergency scissor jack, but was never good at it. It is one of one of the weakest parts of a VW.

I had also lifted the car at the "doubled up" sheet metal with a standard jack too. This is bad! It folds the sheet metal in and accelerates rust.

It looks like all that plastic needs to go first. Jacking right on the plastic will just break it.

19. 11-23-2009 11:19 AM #19

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2008 b6 Passat 4-Motion
      11-23-2009 02:06 PM #20
      Quote, originally posted by GTINC »

There is no plastic in the way of the jacking points on VWs.

x2
      The jack plate protudes a bit. The floor jack lifting pad is not touching the under body either.

2102 Golf R, 2008 US b6 Passat 4-motion - sold 2006 US Mk V bmp GTI mt (230,000 miles/ 7 yrs)

21. 11-23-2009 04:43 PM #21
      The problem with the MkV isn't so much where to jack the car, but where to put jackstands. If you're using a floorjack on the lift points, you will not be able to fit your jackstands on the same spot.

Vehicles
      mk6GLI
      11-23-2009 04:52 PM #22
      Quote, originally posted by david8814 »
      The problem with the MkV isn't so much where to jack the car, but where to put jackstands. If you're using a floorjack on the lift points, you will not be able to fit your jackstands on the same spot.

yes i hatttteee this

Vag-Com services PM me

Vehicles
      A4, GTI
      11-23-2009 05:09 PM #23
      Quote, originally posted by david8814 »

I place my jack stands under here. It cradles it perfectly and is very stable.

Vehicles
      1k-m-cbta-02q-PTE5858
      11-23-2009 05:33 PM #24
      what about the rear?

Vehicles
      A4, GTI
      11-23-2009 05:40 PM #25
      I usually jack the car high enough from the front until the rears lift as well, and then place a jack stand on the pinch rail. But I hear there is enough space on the rear pinch rail to lift and place a jack stand under as well.

Vehicles
      A4, GTI
      11-23-2009 05:45 PM #26
      Btw, this is a very old thread!

27. 11-23-2009 05:52 PM #27
      Why has no one pointed out that this thread is exactly 4 years and 1 week old? I'm sure the guy got his new tires on by now

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2008 b6 Passat 4-Motion
      11-23-2009 06:46 PM #28
      Quote, originally posted by 99.5 »

There is an easter egg in the post above showing just that, click on the picture

When you lift the car from the front jack point, the rear wheels lift as well,
      so you can slide the rear in at the same time.

Her is a full DIY in photos ...

Place jack at front jack point

Lift

When you lift from the front point the rear will raise too ...

Slide a jack stand under the front suspension mounting point with a half circle alloy cap.

Slide a jack stand under the rear jack point

and lower and remove the jack

Move to the other side and repeat

Finis

Modified by JetTurbo at 6:49 PM 11-23-2009

2102 Golf R, 2008 US b6 Passat 4-motion - sold 2006 US Mk V bmp GTI mt (230,000 miles/ 7 yrs)

Vehicles
      2006 2.5, 2008 Jetta 2.5, 2010 jetta 2.5
      07-04-2012 09:09 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Galactic_Blue View Post
      Yep, I'm being lazy.

For starters, I just don't feel like paying a guy to switch tires.

Two, I don't own my own lift.

So I have to lift my car with ye olde floor jack. I don't like the scissor jack that VW gives me.

Where are good points to lift from? I used to lift my Mk III in the front from the motor mount - pretty easy to see with no plastic in the way!

I was thinking I could lift the car from the rear under the springs.

Sounds good? How about you experienced folks?

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a...-point-mk5.htm

another good diy

Vehicles
      Mkv Jetta
      07-04-2012 10:10 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by JetTurbo View Post

There is an easter egg in the post above showing just that, click on the picture

Lift

Slide a jack stand under the front suspension mounting point with a half circle alloy cap.

Finis

Bro what kinda car is that a FIAT?

Vehicles
      2006 2.5, 2008 Jetta 2.5, 2010 jetta 2.5
      07-04-2012 10:19 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by JetTurbo View Post

Lift

Finis

im about to order these
      http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edoc/...PadInstall.pdf

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...5/Video207-SD/
      the video shows the ecs mechanic guy jacking the car from the inserts..

the problem is

1) on different forms for audis and vw some say the reinforced factory lips (where the triangles are ) have bent when floor jacks... were used

2) others say their cars ended up bending the subframe over time where the rubber jack pads (From the video) get inserted .... since the place for the rubber pads are intended for CAR LIFTS...

---> The volkswagen manual says to lift the car with a floor jack from the factory lips.. with jack pads... but the jack pads are inserted into the body (from the video)...

whos right whos wrong?

is there a lip adapter to use with a floor jack?? in other words (you know where the lip for the widow maker is...can you get a lip adaptor for the floor jack... that has that indentation where the lip can get inserted?) if so where can we buy them....

until now ive used the widow maker for all my tunings etc..... i do have a floor jack and jack stands.. i just dont want to bend anything... The DIY that im quoting and this one http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a...-point-mk5.htm <---- (from tdi club for the mk5 jettas)... use the factory lips with floor jack but again some ppl say theyve bent the factory lips....

any suggestions??

if im able to get the car on jack stands.. they would make my next tire rotation/ summer to winter tire a breeze)
      Last edited by vwjetta252006; 07-04-2012 at 10:24 PM.

Vehicles
      '09 Jetta Wolfsburg 6MT
      07-04-2012 10:46 PM #32
      c'mon guys, seriously? don't quote an entire post with that many pics

i have a hydraulic jack i got from autozone and it works fine, most people here follow these stand locations so i doubt you will have trouble following using the same points. the indentations are there for location purposes so it is safe.
      There's a little bit of rice in all of us.

TOTALED MKV JETTA WOLFSBURG EDITION COMPLETE PARTOUT

33. Banner Advertiser ECS Tuning's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Modified Ones
      07-05-2012 11:13 AM #33
      Looking to keep wear and tear off those pinch rails? This kit makes any project simple and locates a safe mounting point under the car -

VAG Jack Pad Adapter Kit

http://www.ecstuning.com
      :: Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Hours: Mon. - Fri. 8:00AM - 11:00PM EST Saturday 10:00AM - 7:00PM EST :: Email: sales@ecstuning.com & customerservice@ecstuning.com :: Facebook :: YouTube :: Live Chat :: Instagram

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast