Yup, you guessed it...I was bored. I have had a newer key sitting around for a little while, but haven't had it added to the immobilizer on my car yet. I decided to do the "turbo" mod on it and got curious what was under the VW seal. Took apart the older key because it is trashed at this point. Well needless to say, I found where the immobilizer chip is and you CAN swap it. Here's the DIY (excuse some of the blurry picks. I was in super-macro mode and I don't have the steadiest of hands today ) :
The usual disclaimer: You are on your own with this modification. Anything that breaks or messes up your key/car is your fault. Have fun...
-First, have a correct replacement key. See the DIY section above for help on matching immobilizer types and P/N.
-Take off VW seal carefully. This chips/ breaks easily. I used an exacto knife to slide under the seal and it just popped off.
-Under the seal you will see a small screw; remove this. The two halves of this portion of the key fob will come apart…WAIT! Read the next one BEFORE you take anything apart further.
-BEFORE you separate them, get over a table or counter and slowly pull the two pieces apart. In side this portion of the key there are 3 loose components. (1) the key blade, (2) the key blade button, and (3) a small spring that is loaded to get the key blade to flip out. This will come flying out all over the place if you are not cautious.
-Inside the half that has the hole for the key blade button you will see a small resistor looking thing, this is your immobilizer chip. I didn't try to remove it because I didn't want to mess anything up, but if you try, good luck…I wouldn't mess with it. This is when I decied to swap the none working chip portion with my working chip portion.
-I swapped this portion of a non-calibrated key fob with the respective portion of my only working key fob. I'll get them both programmed as soon as I pick up a VAG-COM. For now the one with the bum immobilizer is just going to act as a spare key to unlock the car if I for some reason need to. I just wanted a better looking key.
-When you put the immobilizer section back together you are going to have to reload the spring to get the blade to pop out like it is supposed. Look at the spring. One end has a piece that sticks out away from the center of the spring coil and the other has a piece that sticks in towards the center of the spring coil. The "towards center" end goes into the key blade button and the little piece of spring sticking into the center of the coil will drop into a little notch at the bottom of the key blade button. The "away from center" end of the spring drops over the post on the key fob housing and the piece of spring sticking out drops into a notch that is in the housing.
-To reload the spring put all the pieces together with the key blade out in its extended position. The spring should be fairly loose at this point. Now turn the blade one full turn counter clockwise and push it down onto the post. The blade will again be extended at this point. When the blade is pushed all the way down onto the post you will feel it lock into place. Hold the key blade, housing and spring in place with one hand and with the other hand put the remaining half of the housing (with the immobilizer in it) together with the key blade portion.
-Everything should snap together and you can put the screw in that holds this portion of the key fob together (see note below if things don't just snap together).
-Put the rest of the key back together and test. If this is a new controller portion for your car you will need to complete the DIY on getting an additional key to work your door locks/trunk/etc. This calibration doesn't work for adding a key to your immobilizer, but it does get the key to work the locks/windows of your car.
-After confirming that everything works, put the seal back on with some decent glue (just in case don't use anything too permanent, you may need to get at the immobilizer chip for some reason) and you are set.
-NOTE: The key that I purchased to replace my current key fob (that looked like trash) had a slightly different housing structure than the original. I had to do some MINOR mods to the inside of the housing to get the pieces to fit back together. If this happens to you, just look for where things aren't lining up and shave a little plastic here and there to get things to fit back together (i.e. exacto knife and a Dremel)
Modified by glasskopf at 7:19 PM 11-13-2005