Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Key Fob Immobilizer Swap (yes, it can be done)

1. 11-13-2005 06:50 PM #1
      Yup, you guessed it...I was bored. I have had a newer key sitting around for a little while, but haven't had it added to the immobilizer on my car yet. I decided to do the "turbo" mod on it and got curious what was under the VW seal. Took apart the older key because it is trashed at this point. Well needless to say, I found where the immobilizer chip is and you CAN swap it. Here's the DIY (excuse some of the blurry picks. I was in super-macro mode and I don't have the steadiest of hands today ) :

The usual disclaimer: You are on your own with this modification. Anything that breaks or messes up your key/car is your fault. Have fun...

-First, have a correct replacement key. See the DIY section above for help on matching immobilizer types and P/N.

-Take off VW seal carefully. This chips/ breaks easily. I used an exacto knife to slide under the seal and it just popped off.

-Under the seal you will see a small screw; remove this. The two halves of this portion of the key fob will come apart…WAIT! Read the next one BEFORE you take anything apart further.

-BEFORE you separate them, get over a table or counter and slowly pull the two pieces apart. In side this portion of the key there are 3 loose components. (1) the key blade, (2) the key blade button, and (3) a small spring that is loaded to get the key blade to flip out. This will come flying out all over the place if you are not cautious.

-Inside the half that has the hole for the key blade button you will see a small resistor looking thing, this is your immobilizer chip. I didn't try to remove it because I didn't want to mess anything up, but if you try, good luck…I wouldn't mess with it. This is when I decied to swap the none working chip portion with my working chip portion.

-I swapped this portion of a non-calibrated key fob with the respective portion of my only working key fob. I'll get them both programmed as soon as I pick up a VAG-COM. For now the one with the bum immobilizer is just going to act as a spare key to unlock the car if I for some reason need to. I just wanted a better looking key.

-When you put the immobilizer section back together you are going to have to reload the spring to get the blade to pop out like it is supposed. Look at the spring. One end has a piece that sticks out away from the center of the spring coil and the other has a piece that sticks in towards the center of the spring coil. The "towards center" end goes into the key blade button and the little piece of spring sticking into the center of the coil will drop into a little notch at the bottom of the key blade button. The "away from center" end of the spring drops over the post on the key fob housing and the piece of spring sticking out drops into a notch that is in the housing.

-To reload the spring put all the pieces together with the key blade out in its extended position. The spring should be fairly loose at this point. Now turn the blade one full turn counter clockwise and push it down onto the post. The blade will again be extended at this point. When the blade is pushed all the way down onto the post you will feel it lock into place. Hold the key blade, housing and spring in place with one hand and with the other hand put the remaining half of the housing (with the immobilizer in it) together with the key blade portion.

-Everything should snap together and you can put the screw in that holds this portion of the key fob together (see note below if things don't just snap together).

-Put the rest of the key back together and test. If this is a new controller portion for your car you will need to complete the DIY on getting an additional key to work your door locks/trunk/etc. This calibration doesn't work for adding a key to your immobilizer, but it does get the key to work the locks/windows of your car.

-After confirming that everything works, put the seal back on with some decent glue (just in case don't use anything too permanent, you may need to get at the immobilizer chip for some reason) and you are set.

-NOTE: The key that I purchased to replace my current key fob (that looked like trash) had a slightly different housing structure than the original. I had to do some MINOR mods to the inside of the housing to get the pieces to fit back together. If this happens to you, just look for where things aren't lining up and shave a little plastic here and there to get things to fit back together (i.e. exacto knife and a Dremel)

Done.

Modified by glasskopf at 7:19 PM 11-13-2005

Vehicles
      Beige Camry (Ranger)
      11-13-2005 10:15 PM #2
      Good write-up.
      XBOX Live username: JohnnyWanKenobe

Quote Originally Posted by A.Wilder View Post
      this is TCL, if you ask what kind of vehicle is recommended for Rhinoceros delivery someone would suggest a Miata.

Vehicles
      2001 Golf, 2014 Jetta SE
      11-13-2005 10:18 PM #3
      awesome!

4. 11-13-2005 10:30 PM #4
      NICE, now does this work when doing it from the old style key to the new??

Vehicles
      '11 Grand Cherokee
      11-13-2005 10:35 PM #5
      added to the DIY/FAQ
      Current: 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi 4x4, 2013 BMW 650GS Sertao, BMW 1150RT
      Gone: 2010 Audi S4; 2008 GTI; 2007 Audi A6; 2004 Audi allroad 2.7T; 2001 Audi A6 2.7T; 1999.5 Mk4 Jetta VR6; 1991 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 4x4

Vehicles
      2001 VW Jetta VR6, 2006 VW Jetta 2.5
      11-13-2005 10:37 PM #6
      nice. i wonder if we can do this with the New Passat key
      mujjuman

Vehicles
      [+7560 post] 07,13
      11-13-2005 10:43 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by mujjuman »
      nice. i wonder if we can do this with the New Passat key

same, I have a B5 passat flip key sititng around..would this be compatible with that?

I have a mk4 gti key and I hate how bulky it is, the b5 pasat keys are perfect

Modified by NotoriousWithaG at 6:48 PM 11-13-2005

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie2LO View Post
      I may or may not have slapped a cougar outside seacrits at 230am
      [Alex @ AllesGute

8. 11-14-2005 12:23 AM #8
      I'm not sure if this would work from the old style to the new style key (i.e. immob 2 to 3). The only thing that would think would make a difference would be the actual form of the plastic pieces. The car doesn't care what the key looks like as long as the "chip" is there.

From what I can tell, it looks like a pretty standard Radio Frequency ID tag (a.k.a. RFID). It appears that the it is just glued into the key, but like I said, I haven't attempted to remove it yet. When I get both keys working with my car, I'll swap it and the blade out into some completely random key fob and see if it still works. I'll post when I give it a whoorl.

Vehicles
      1984 GLi 20v, '13 335is, '85 Golf, '10 Ninja
      11-14-2005 07:49 AM #9
      i don't see this workin with most new keys, considering all of the key programmin is done on line now through a vw server, and you need a 7 digit access code,etcetc. but it look sinteresting
      :HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS:1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG
      Quote Originally Posted by frechem View Post
      I like my women how I like my whiskey; aged 18 years and mixed up with coke.
      GTS Dealer.MK!forLife

Vehicles
      2001 VW Jetta VR6, 2006 VW Jetta 2.5
      11-15-2005 12:17 AM #10
      Quote, originally posted by NotoriousWithaG »

same, I have a B5 passat flip key sititng around..would this be compatible with that?

I have a mk4 gti key and I hate how bulky it is, the b5 pasat keys are perfect

Modified by NotoriousWithaG at 6:48 PM 11-13-2005

is B5 passat the new passats? i thought it was B6

mujjuman

11. 12-04-2005 05:21 AM #11
      Quote, originally posted by Vegeta Gti »
      i don't see this workin with most new keys, considering all of the key programmin is done on line now through a vw server, and you need a 7 digit access code,etcetc. but it look sinteresting

Why not. The Immobilizer chip is an RFID device that carries a permanent ID #. The immobilizer in the instrument cluster is told what that number is when the key is matched to the vehicle. If you swap this chip to a new key housing you would be using the same RFID chip as your old key. As far as the Immobilizer is concerned it is the same Key. No change. No programming needed.

The remote door/trunk lock/unlock function really is completely separate from the immobilizer.

I have been able to Introduce a remote unlock transmitter in a brand new key to the ECM. It will unlock the doors but the immobilizer doesnt know that keys' RFID keytag so it will not let me keep the car running.

I have also introduced the RFID keytag to my car without introducing the fob to the ECM for the remote locks. The engine starts and runs with this key but the doors will not remote unlock for it.

You can enable remotes and keys using VAG-COM. I have done it on my Jetta... No delaer and no internet connected tool.

You will need the SKC to login to the immobilizer as it is the password. Every new VW has the SKC on a plastic tag with the new keys as well as the number that allows the dealer to cut a new key without the original. As long as you don't loose this you can circumvent the stealership $$ with VAG-COM.

There are also software tools that will allow a locksmith to retrieve the SKC from the Immobilizer. If you a are licensed and bonded locksmith you too can spend $2000 or better for one of these software tools. After they retrieve it I don't know that they would share the SKC with you when they are done.

12. 12-04-2005 07:07 AM #12
      nice

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      12-04-2005 10:49 AM #13
      Good DIY. Nice to know you can swap the chips.

However bit pointless since there is a procedure in the owners manual for programming new keys.

Quote Originally Posted by MAG58 View Post
      Please consider your audience before saying something sensible. 80% of TCL drivers were actually banned from Formula 1 for being too fast.
      A turbocharger is a device in where exhaust gases go in, witchcraft happens, and then you go faster.

14. 12-15-2005 02:49 AM #14
      The procedure you speek of is to reprogram the lock/unlock buttons, which can be done without VAG-COM. Immobilizer chips are different and must be programed into the ECM for the car to run

15. 12-23-2005 10:52 PM #15
      can you just but the vw symbol and swap that, mine is fubar'd
      Joosey - DubAudi - Banchwerks - ForceFed Engineering - HighwayStar

PVW 9/11

Quote Originally Posted by uzi did it View Post
      you can compare me to kobe bryant of the vw world. i'm just that good.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      beater/broke status
      04-17-2006 12:53 AM #16
      somebody please help me out hair..lemme get this str8...my friend has newer style vw key for his old 03 gti,the kind with a little red LED in it..now if take mine and his apart and swap the key and chip my car will start with it but not work the alarm until i get it vagged??
      Quote Originally Posted by SLK350 View Post
      Penises have everything to do with science.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      beater/broke status
      04-17-2006 01:30 AM #17
      let me correct myself after reading a bit more.......if i swap the immobilizer chip and key all ill have to do is reprogram the alarm which i can do myself if i have 2 keys???
      Quote Originally Posted by SLK350 View Post
      Penises have everything to do with science.

18. 04-17-2006 10:48 PM #18
      Quote, originally posted by redgeeteeeye »
      let me correct myself after reading a bit more.......if i swap the immobilizer chip and key all ill have to do is reprogram the alarm which i can do myself if i have 2 keys???

yeah, what he said....Is that it?

19. 11-06-2006 07:24 PM #19
      I have 10 of these that I just bought on ebay after utterly destroying mine. If you'd like one PM or IM me and we can work something out (probly have you snail mail me $2 or something)

naturally following said destruction i made the unpleasent discovery that I think mine is superglued together since no amount of prying on my part seemed to separate the halves...

Modified by edk4971 at 3:48 PM 11-6-2006

20. 01-13-2007 03:59 PM #20
      My car got stolen. After 2 days, it was recovered...
      i have the correcct key what to do?? buy the way the swtich is fu cked... so i decided to buy a new key swtich and its key too of another used GTI... so.. the point is ... can i just swap that key chip of my key to the other GTI key??? and itll work??

thanksss!!!

21. 01-25-2007 12:51 AM #21
      bump

Vehicles
      74 Thing and 2000 Passat Wagon
      01-25-2007 01:52 AM #22
      Easier to swap the blade from the replacement switch over to your original FOB. When I say blade, I mean blade. There's a small pin you can see when the blade is folded halfway.

This way you can aviod having to recode the RFID chip located in the plastic housing of the key end.

Oher option is to swap this piece of your original FOB into the new one. The circled part is the RFID Chip. I think swapping blades would be easier

IN a nutshell the "blade" only mechanically unlocks the steering and ignition. The RFID chip electrically unlocks the ignition

Modified by Old_School at 11:14 PM 1-25-2007

23. 06-11-2007 04:09 AM #23
      I was attempting to do this but my key has no chip in it!!!
      I have a 2000 Passat GLX V6. I have one key that is in very good shape. I also have a second key that has a broken blade slot (the previous owner tried to super glue it back together.) I carefully devided both pieces, but found no chip inside the little nook. I also have a valet key, that had no chip in it either. I dont wanna take My good key apart because I'm affraid to break the only good key.

what should I do???

thanx guys!

24. 06-11-2007 06:16 AM #24
      You can use the blade to start the car if you break the plastic or not, since you dont have the immobilizer.

25. 06-11-2007 01:48 PM #25
      I thought My car was supposed to have it though. It's the GLX, the manual says it does.
      I'm afraid that it I turn the car on with a key other than the one know works, that it will deactivated or whatever.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Jetta TDI; 2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
      06-15-2007 05:39 PM #26
      Any idea how through VAG-COm to proram my key please? I have a new fob and put my old key in. Can start the car but will not keep running as the immobilizer is not the same. Any help most appreciated!

27. 06-25-2007 11:32 AM #27
      Thats because passats didn't get immo until the facelift in October 2001.
      You don't see a little key in your cluster when you cycle the ignition on do you?

28. 06-14-2008 01:30 PM #28
      Hello,

the pictures does not appear on this page. can anyone help me here.
      or is there any other ways ??

thanks

29. 06-14-2008 02:09 PM #29
      My website to the rescue!

http://www.dubdiy.net/internal....html

30. 06-15-2008 06:29 AM #30
      thanks a lot mate.

good job

31. 06-25-2008 06:23 PM #31
      so i read all this but i still have a scratch i cant get too,

i bought my car at a auto action, the lock was shattered and there was no remote key. i cant find the HLO# to match my year, your saying i would need the chip to put in a dif. remote, and then need to reprogram it.

by the way, if anyone knows were i could get a HLO 1Jo95975"S" key i would pay anything but dealer price for it.

Vehicles
      2002 golf mk4 2.0L
      08-09-2009 02:37 PM #32
      hey___

i just swapped over the keys to a new shell, since the new shell didnt come with the immo, my car would start but shut down right away..

after reading a few forums, i finally found the one that talks about the immo, since i threw out the original key part.. i went to dig the trash (yes and i had no choice at this point), i found the original key and actually removed the immo from it.. its the small looking tube.. it was a bi*** but it came out.. i took apart my new key and put the immo in it and now it works just fine..

**** if you are swapping keys just put the original top half back on if you dont want to risk breaking the immo.. its the easiest thing there is**** hope this helps...

33. 08-10-2009 02:06 PM #33
      Aboslutely great guide. If someone is in the position that their old key fob has gotten really torn up, the blade mechanism has broken, or the key chain attachment has broken (all 3 of these described my situation), this is *the* ideal solution in my opinion, since you don't need to cut a new blade or add an additional FOB.

Getting an replacement part from ebay is very cheap, I paid $30 for mine. Tapped out the pin on the old and new one, and swapped the blades. Then I realized I didn't know how to deal with the immobilizer problem (from reading the popular ebay guide my car was the first year to add this where it needed to be programmed). Scratched my head for 6 months and laid it aside until I read this post.

Opened up my old fob (didn't bother being careful with metal peice, these are the one pain in the process). I did pop out the RFID transmitter instead of swapping the head portions. It comes out with just a little bit of force from a flat head screwdriver (be careful of course).

Opened new fob, same deal, replaced my RFID transmitter, closed it up according to above directions, and now I have a like-new fob, already programmed for keyless functions as well as being recognized by the immobilizer due to the RFID swap.

Do be careful with the metal peice, as long as its not really cracked up or broken, it looks like I can gently reshape it and use an adhesive to reattach. I do see these on ebay but they looked rather expensive for purely cosmetic.

How much did this save me? Well the key was $30 from ebay - I can't remember what the dealer wanted, something ridiculous like $180+ for each key. Programming here was free via the RFID swap, dealer wanted $99 to program the car for the new key if I just brought it in.

Thanks!

Vehicles
      1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe //// 1968 Audi F103 75L //// 2009 VW Passat R36 Wagon
      10-31-2009 10:02 PM #34
      has anyone done this with an audi key?

Vehicles
      02' S6 Atlas grey / 02' S6 Silver
      10-31-2009 10:19 PM #35
      Or you can buy a Vag-Tacho cable, read the SKC from the cluster and adapt ANY key to your car.
      New used whatever..easy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast