Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: unlock and all 4 windows roll down.

1. 11-29-2005 03:30 PM #1
      I recently purchased a used 2001 Jetta TDI, 155K miles 1 owner prior. Owner told me that unlocking the vehicle when locked (remote, door w/key, or door switch) caused all the windows to roll down. VERY ANNOYING problem. Here's what I've found out so far:

1) No aftermarket window controller installed...took the driver's side door panel off and it is all stock.

2) Replaced CCM module, problem still occurs.

3) I know the door open/close switch on both drivers/passengers side in the door lock module is faulty. The warning lights don't come on when either doors are opened, and no buzzer. I didn't think that this would have anything to do with auto-window-rolldown.

4) If car is already unlocked and windows are up, and I press the unlock on the remote, it doesn't do it. The car must go from locked to unlocked and it always rolls them all down.

My guess is that some wiring mishap that is signalling the rolldown when going from a locked state to unlocked state. I've painstakenly searched these forums for anyone else with this problem, and have found no clues so far!

Any ideas?

Thanks!

11-29-2005 03:32 PM #2
      you have to put the key in the door and hold it to the unlock position for a couple secs and the windows will roll down and vice versa to roll them up

11-29-2005 03:34 PM #3
      Quote, originally posted by ea187 »
      you have to put the key in the door and hold it to the unlock position for a couple secs and the windows will roll down and vice versa to roll them up

Did you read a word he wrote?

To the OP, sorry I can't help. Just keep bumping this up 'til you find someone who can. Good luck.

4. 11-29-2005 03:36 PM #4
      Let me get this right, if your door are locked and you unlock them using your remote, unpon ulocking the windows automatically roll down?

5. 11-29-2005 03:39 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by EuroBurner GLI »
      Let me get this right, if your door are locked and you unlock them using your remote, unpon ulocking the windows automatically roll down?

Yes correct. It happens (1) using the unlock from keyfob, (2) put key in door and unlock, and quickly remove the key, and (3) if sitting in car, lock doors with door lock switch, and then pressing door unlock switch.

Crazy eh???

Vehicles
      '11 Grand Cherokee
      11-29-2005 03:42 PM #6
      i'm almost positive this can be cured with VAG-COM ... i know for audi you can do all sots of tricks like that.. for example, in my allroad when i LOCK the car, all windows roll up automatically.

Current: 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi 4x4, 2013 BMW 650GS Sertao, BMW 1150RT
      Gone: 2010 Audi S4; 2008 GTI; 2007 Audi A6; 2004 Audi allroad 2.7T; 2001 Audi A6 2.7T; 1999.5 Mk4 Jetta VR6; 1991 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 4x4

7. 11-29-2005 03:44 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by bhb399mm »
      i'm almost positive this can be cured with VAG-COM ... i know for audi you can do all sots of tricks like that.. for example, in my allroad when i LOCK the car, all windows roll up automatically.

Sweet! I wanna be able to do this too

8. 11-29-2005 03:45 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by bhb399mm »

If so, that would be great. However, the odds of having 2 separate comfort control modules that were coded to do this is almost nil. I have VAG COM, and did some poking around and didn't find any controls for VW for setting auto window rolldown. I think the problem lies elsewhere in this case.

Vehicles
      2010 scion xb
      11-29-2005 03:47 PM #9
      I had a similar issue with my 2001 jeta and they had to replace the whole door locking mechanism in the actual door. Somehow the wiring for all this stuff is connected and if one piece goes faulty then the whole thing won't work properly. Very inexpensive as it cost me around $75-$100 to replace and now no more problems!!
      some of my history...
      1966 beetle 1300cc
      1999.5 jetta 2.0
      2001 wolfsburg edition jetta 1.8t
      2003 audi a4 avant

10. 11-29-2005 03:48 PM #10
      I just talked to one of the techs here at the dealer, he said sound slike the microswitch in the door latch is stuck in the unlock position, I'd try replacing the door latch.

Vehicles
      2010 scion xb
      11-29-2005 03:49 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by EuroBurner GLI »
      I just talked to one of the techs here at the dealer, he said sound slike the microswitch in the door latch is stuck in the unlock position, I'd try replacing the door latch.

exactly what i was talking about!! hope this helps!!

some of my history...
      1966 beetle 1300cc
      1999.5 jetta 2.0
      2001 wolfsburg edition jetta 1.8t
      2003 audi a4 avant

12. 11-29-2005 03:51 PM #12
      You guys ROCK...these forums rock! My first post and the help & suggestions flood in.

As I need to disassemble the door anyway to fix my broken open/close sensor switch in the lock mech, I will also take a look at the other microswitches as well and see if they are stuck in the unlock position. That would explain it! Maybe just replace both driver/pass side with newer QUIETER door lock mechs as well..

13. 11-29-2005 03:56 PM #13
      Quote, originally posted by carnage222 »
      You guys ROCK...these forums rock! My first post and the help & suggestions flood in.

As I need to disassemble the door anyway to fix my broken open/close sensor switch in the lock mech, I will also take a look at the other microswitches as well and see if they are stuck in the unlock position. That would explain it! Maybe just replace both driver/pass side with newer QUIETER door lock mechs as well..

no prob, I've never seen that happen before, I've seen it happen when you press the unlock button and the doors lock-unlock-lock-unlock, over and over for 5-10 minutes at a time, thats usually caused by a bad latch too. good luck with the repair.

14. 12-09-2005 05:58 PM #14
      i am STUMPED!!!

I tore down the door, and replaced the door latch assembly with a brand new one. Now at least the warning light comes on when the door is opened, and the cabin lights illuminate. But when I unlock the doors, all the windows roll down, no matter HOW I open the doors. I figured that this would be either the CCM or the latch. Any other ideas??? I want to avoid the stealership if possible as this smells like an expensive fix.

Thanks!
      Jeremy

12-09-2005 08:14 PM #15

i just discovered this yesterday and i think its the coolest thing ever.

Modified by Black Wolfsburg at 6:41 PM 12-9-2005

16. 12-09-2005 08:23 PM #16

are you serious man.....read then think then reply

17. 12-13-2005 02:14 PM #17
      Well, I found out that you can do all sorts of cool real-time status checks with VAG-COM for the comfort control module if you go into measuring blocks. It will tell you the status of door locks, key lock position, window motor, etc... very cool stuff. GREAT for diagnosing these pesky problems. Turns out that for some reason my BRAND NEW door latch is sending a continuous open signal from the door key lock switch. ?????? That explains the roll-downs. Now to find out if this is indeed the latch key position switches getting stuck, or some other wiring fault. UGH!

18. 12-13-2005 02:22 PM #18
      i want this to happen

19. 12-13-2005 02:40 PM #19
      You replaced the CCM, how about the Door Lock Control Module.

Have you had it scanned by someone with a VAGCOM? Try posting in the regional forums for this.

20. 12-13-2005 02:44 PM #20
      I had to fix the microswitch in my trunk. Yours sounds like a down stream wiring fault though... maybe the wire got pinched and is bare somewhere touching something?

21. 12-13-2005 02:55 PM #21
      Quote, originally posted by xorbe »
      I had to fix the microswitch in my trunk. Yours sounds like a down stream wiring fault though... maybe the wire got pinched and is bare somewhere touching something?

Possibly. I did disconnect the wiring harness from the drivers side window controller, and the problem stopped, so unless there is some complicated interaction here I don't think it would be my trunk microswitch. Here's what I find interesting in this case: the keylock switch should be in an inactive state normally. If I lock the doors, I see the keylock go from inactive to "closed", and then immediately back to inactive. This makes sense. If I unlock the doors, it goes from inactive to "open", and stays that way until I lock the doors again. So it kind of works...it isn't stuck open always indicating a pinched wire or constant short to ground. That's why I suspected the micro-switches for keylock sense in the latch. But you'd think a new latch would address that! Guess I need to dig out the voltmeter and do some readings....

-Jeremy

22. 12-16-2005 04:55 PM #22
      I fixed the problem. For all of you that might have this same problem, the fix was the strangest and most unintuitive that I've done in a long time. The door latch was operating fine. All the switches were working correctly, at least when I measured continuity with the window controller harness disconnected. Here's what I found (controller harness reconnected):

When the keylock is neutral position, both the unlock sense and lock sense lines are held high at 12V. This makes sense. As you turn the keylock one way or the other, either the unlock sense or lock sense *should* goto low (ground). This was true when I locked the door. Upon returning to neutral position, both were at 12V again. However, when I went to the unlock position, the unlock sense line goes to zero, and when the keylock moves back to neutral it stayed at zero. Well not quite zero...I saw it jump from 1/100 of a volt to 1/10 of a volt. So I was like "what the hell???"

On a complete whim, I decided to "force" 12V down the unlock sense line as that what it was supposed to be. I tied that line to the 12V, and lo and behold it all started working again Now if someone can explain THAT one to me, I'm all ears! My only conclusion was that there was a small short to ground that "burned up" when I tied it to 12? Who knows... all I know is that it works again, haven't had any problems sense. Love these Jettas but they can be SILLY sometimes!

23. 12-16-2005 04:58 PM #23

On a complete whim, I decided to "force" 12V down the unlock sense line as that what it was supposed to be. I tied that line to the 12V, and lo and behold it all started working again.

Clarification: I tied the line to 12V only momentarily, enough to blast thru whatever bug was in the system. Everythign is wired normally and works normally now.

24. 12-16-2005 05:05 PM #24
      Quote, originally posted by jayfergvr6 »

are you serious man.....read then think then reply

no, are you serious? this post was already criticized, so maybe it's you that needs to read the threads???

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 1981 Caddy Diesel
      12-16-2005 05:57 PM #25
      Wow, I don't think I've ever heard of that happening before, but great diagnostics on trying to figure it out.

Now if only we could figure out that All-Road trick of getting them to roll up on lock.

26. 12-16-2005 06:09 PM #26
      Quote, originally posted by qkslvr »
      Wow, I don't think I've ever heard of that happening before, but great diagnostics on trying to figure it out.

Now if only we could figure out that All-Road trick of getting them to roll up on lock.

Yeah, that's why I installed my alientech window controller...I LOVE the unlock/lock rollup feature!

27. 12-16-2005 06:36 PM #27
      Now if someone can explain THAT one to me, I'm all ears! My only conclusion was that there was a small short to ground that "burned up" when I tied it to 12?

That was my thought too... glad you didn't let any "magic smoke" out!