Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 'Convenience Closing' not working on my Phaeton

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      12-06-2005 04:49 AM #1
      Hello All:

The 'convenience closing' feature on my Phaeton - as described in the two excerpts from the owner manual posted below - is not working. I can't close or open the windows using the key blade in the driver door lock, and I can't close or open them by pressing on the keyless access locking button on the driver door handle.

This has both myself and the Phaeton tech at my VW dealer perplexed. The Phaeton demonstrator at the dealership does not perform any of these functions either.

May I trouble you folks to let me know if this feature works on your Phaeton? I am especially interested to hear from folks who have used a diagnostic scan tool (VAS 5052 or VAG-COM) to turn off unwanted chimes and buzzers. Right now I don't know if I have a problem with the car, a problem with the coding or adaptation of the car, or if the NAR Phaetons just don't perform as the owner manual describes them.

Thanks,

Michael

Excerpts from the Owner Manual about Convenience Closing
      Applies to all Phaetons:

Applies to Phaetons with Keyless Access:

Last edited by PanEuropean; 10-07-2012 at 01:52 AM.

2. 12-06-2005 08:25 AM #2
      Michael, I tried that a while back on my Phaeton, and I could not get it to work as advertised either. I didn't bother asking the VW tech about it, because to me, it is not a useful feature. I think I used it once on my MB.

Vehicles
      Maserati Ghibli Diesel 2014 Blu Emozione, Audi TT 2.0TFSi 2008 Suzuka Grey.
      12-06-2005 09:45 AM #3
      It seems to partly work on a UK car. I had never used the key in the lock before and could not get it to open the windows but I could get it to close them. It then needed a couple of extra presses on the remote lock before that would work again.

William

4. 12-06-2005 07:14 PM #4
      Michael,

I tried this on my Phaeton. I do not have the KESEY system on my Pcar. You had disabled my buzzers and bells at the GTG in AH.

I tried the convenience opening feature using the key in the door method and it worked in both directions, open and close; windows first and then the sunroof. In order to repeat this though I had to cycle through a lock unlock cycle.

5. Member
      12-07-2005 10:25 AM #5
      Michael,

I have the Kessy and I could not get either the door key or the door button to do either function described.

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      12-07-2005 11:54 AM #6
      Quote, originally posted by jmdpjd1 »
      do not have the KESEY system on my Pcar. You had disabled my buzzers and bells at the GTG in AH. I tried the convenience opening feature using the key in the door method and it worked in both directions...

Hi Joe:

Thanks very much for that report, that adds a few valuable pieces to the puzzle. From the diagnostic scans we made at the GTG, I note the following information about the comfort controllers on your car and mine:

Your Car

Address 46: Central Conv.
      Controller: 3D0 959 933 F
      Component: 12 HSG 0100
      Coding: 0000034

My Car

Part No: 3D0 959 933 F
      Component: 1A HSG 0100
      Coding: 0000040

I think your controller is fractionally newer than mine - the software crate in it is 12, rather than 1A. The difference in coding between your controller (34) and mine (40) is because I have a power operated trunk (hydraulic open and close) and you do not, so, I don't think coding is relevant here.

Many thanks again for reporting back.

Michael

Vehicles
      2001 Audi TT quattro coupe
      12-07-2005 07:33 PM #7
      This works on my car, but the sunroof portion is wonky. I can get it to close as well, but I have to remove the key, unlock the car and relock with the key and hold it until the sunroof closes.

Vehicles
      2004 V8 Touareg
      12-07-2005 09:18 PM #8
      Michael,
      I just tried the key in the door, works just like it's supposed to. You should have my VAG-COM codes. Also remember, my key fob works the windows as well. So in my case disabling the chimes, etc. didn't affect the they work.
      Regards,
      Brent

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      12-07-2005 11:08 PM #9
      David, Brent:

Thanks very much for your feedback. David, I don't have a diagnostic scan of your car, so I can't tell what the central comfort control module (controller 46) software revision level is. Brent, I note that you have a slightly higher software revision on your comfort controller than I do, even though I think your car was built a month earlier than mine - this suggests that your controller was replaced at some time. Or - if your car was an ex VW of A executive car - maybe someone from VW uploaded new software into your controller.

Brent's Car

Component: HSG 0101

Vehicles
      2004 V8 Touareg
      12-07-2005 11:13 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by PanEuropean »
      Or - if your car was an ex VW of A executive car - maybe someone from VW uploaded new software into your controller.

Brent's Car

Component: HSG 0101

I knew you were going to say that.
      Regards,
      Brent

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      12-12-2005 10:28 PM #11
      I discovered something today - on certain Phaetons (dependent on the part number and software revision status of the central comfort controller), enabling 'Comfort Control of Windows via Key Fob' (entering a 1 in adaptation channel 25 of controller 46) will disable control of the windows via the key blade in the driver door lock. This is the problem that caused me to start this thread, asking others for their experience with convenience closing.

I have been trying to figure out why I have not been able to open and close the windows on my car by using the key blade in the driver door lock for the past 3 months - today, I discovered that it was because I changed adaptation channel 25's setting from a 0 to a 1 about 3 months ago, to see if this gave me control of the windows via the buttons on the key fob. It didn't - and, I should have changed it back to a zero once I found that out.

Hopefully this information will save others from encountering the same difficulty. It's kind of embarrassing to find out that the problem you have been trying to solve for such a long time is a 'self inflicted wound'.

Michael

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      12-29-2005 09:04 PM #12

13. 12-31-2005 11:09 AM #13
      I did this for my customer Mr. Burgin he posts here ahd brought us the directions on how to do it from an article off of the Phaeton forums. We do it on all of the cars that We PDI now. Unless Someone from VW is watching this thread in which case we only do what we are supposed to do. I dont have the instructions on me at the moment but it can be done. The guys that were driving all around the country demoing these cars had it done to theirs and they were definately NAspec cars one of them that might be able to help you out is Joe Pariseau (pair uh so) he is working for Jim Ellis Porsche now as a sales rep. He might remember what they did and he dosent work for a VW dealer (well technically --but that is another thread)

14. 12-31-2005 12:12 PM #14
      The cars the trainers (including Lil old me) had for the Phaeton Touareg program were early NA spec units that had some non standard features and programing on them like convenience closing (the ability to open and close all windows and the sunroof from the key fob). I'm glad that some dealerships are taking it upon themselves to provide excellent customer service and enabling this feature...which is already enabled on the Audi A8. Why the Phaeton was not set up that way for NA sales was always one of those head scratching moments.

~PC

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      10-07-2012 01:53 AM #15
      Photos re-hosted.

Michael
      Please don't send me technical questions via IM - instead, post your questions onto the end of the most appropriate thread in the FAQ, so that everyone can benefit from the answer, and everyone can assist in providing the answer. Thanks, Michael