Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: ANY COMMON PROBLEMS WITH A 2002 JETTA 1.8T GLS - automatic/tiptronic

1. 12-22-2005 04:49 PM #1
      I'm new to VW and new to the forums. On the virge of purchasing a 2002 Jetta 1.8T but would like to know if there any known issues with this model/yr. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Gonna test drive it on x-mas eve..if its as good as they say, its mine!

12-22-2005 04:53 PM #2
      I'll post. They are good cars, dubs have a lot of issues, but if you don't dog it, it might be ok. As you can see, I have an 04, with a tippy. Its pretty quick, make sure you upgrade the dv.

12-22-2005 04:59 PM #3
      the main problem is that its a tiptronic! seriously though you shouldnt have any problems if you maintain it religiously and dont mod it.

4. 12-22-2005 04:59 PM #4
      Sorry bro, really new to forums and VW, don't know the terminology - whats the dv? What happens to the rims if you're an aggressive driver?

12-22-2005 05:10 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by 187proof »
      On the virge of purchasing a 2002 Jetta 1.8T but would like to know if there any known issues with this model/yr.

Well, beyond the basic window regulators, coil-pack cracks, and misc accessories fading in and out. What is really a red-flag (in most of the MK4 owners) is the automatic transmission. VW's black-hole is the MK3 & MK4 auto trannys since they have a high failure and service rate.

Believe me, you'll want a 5-speed over the automatic. Yeah, it might be a pain in traffic... But, the automatics have a very high failure and service rate in relatively low mileage trends (only 50K miles or so). If you're planning to by a used VW, make sure it's a manual; it's easier and more cost effective in the long run.

whats the dv?

It's a Diverter Valve. It's the valve that recirculates boost back into the intake tract when you let off the gas pedal.

What happens to the rims if you're an aggressive driver?

How agressive? Are you looking to hit potholes or being a "spirited driver"?
      If you go looking for holes, bumps, and objects with your wheels you have a very good chance of bending the wheel.
      You can permently damage wheel barrels and lips if you take a hole or bump with too much force.

Now, if you're just spirited in your driving, the tires will take the wear.
      But that won't hurt anything; that's what they are designed for.

- Erik

PatternDraftImaging.com - "...Where Engineering Discipline and Photography Merge as One..."

12-22-2005 06:20 PM #6
      I have ~16k miles on mine, and I know that is low. I have upgraded the dv, added springs to my stock shocks ( they are the "sport" oem shocks) a CAI (cold air intake), most of the time, I do not use the tiptronic mode, no issues so far, I know that it is relatively low miles, but I have taken the car on some pretty long road trips. And I change the oil at the dealership. I figure if you have the tippy, you will be happy, its much more things to worry about than a manual. Although, if I could have gotten a manual when I got mine, I would have....

12-22-2005 06:40 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by bluefox280 »

What is really a red-flag (in most of the MK4 owners) is the automatic transmission. VW's black-hole is the MK3 & MK4 auto trannys since they have a high failure and service rate.

Believe me, you'll want a 5-speed over the automatic. Yeah, it might be a pain in traffic... But, the automatics have a very high failure and service rate in relatively low mileage trends (only 50K miles or so). If you're planning to by a used VW, make sure it's a manual; it's easier and more cost effective in the long run.

Please back your facts up...

12-22-2005 07:14 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by BLACK-FLAG »

x2. I know dubs have issues, but I have never heard this before.

12-22-2005 07:24 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by BLACK-FLAG »

Quote, originally posted by tippy20v »
      I know dubs have issues, but I have never heard this before.

There's been several threads (most of now archived) with owners have problems with the auto tranny in the MK4's.
      Everything from incomplete shifts, shudders, non-properly engaging, and other complaints have been brought up.
      They are not Volkswagen's strong point, and it's highly recommended to keep a close eye on it.
      The facts exist and it's something to present when a new owner is considering.

- Erik

PatternDraftImaging.com - "...Where Engineering Discipline and Photography Merge as One..."

Vehicles
      a few vw's and toyotas
      12-22-2005 07:42 PM #10
      id ask bigmak

11. 12-23-2005 08:47 AM #11
      Thanks for all the tips guys. I'm test driving this 2002 18.t tomorrow morning. I'll definitely look into the tranny issue - its got about 56000 kms on it - according to the dealer, the owner gave it in to purchase a brand new jetta, but now this tranny issue worries me. Currently, there's 1 yr left on the vw bumper to bumper warranty - but they have extended it for 3 more yrs on top of it - should this cover any potential tranny issues? (I assume it would but I will ask them tomorrow).

Re: aggressive driving - I'm more of a "spirited driver" - not crazy aggressive or anything. I'm pretty sure i'll baby this thing for the 1st couple of months anyway. Any more tips to look out for on his model? Let me know, and thanks again for all who posted.

12. 12-23-2005 09:49 AM #12
      I have a Tiptronic and love it! There are people who say negative things about them just because it's an automatic transmission. Some of the issues are from people not understanding how to properly shift or their lack of knowledge about the Tiptronic. Some don't realize that the car will shift for you when your tacking it out to the red line and then they shift causing the car to double shift. As for problems, sure there may be problems but I don't think they are problematic. You can infer what you will from reading the threads here in Vortex and assume that if there is a post about a Tiptronic problem then they are prone to failure. I have talked with many people who have owned Tips and they are running into the 100,000 miles with no issues. However, you can not over exert the transmission with too many power upgrades and from what I understand you can get close to 230hp without issues (do some research before you take me up on that!). So if you think Tips are problematic based on a some small amount of info you've read here, then I'd suggest you read outside the forum and make that determination from an unbiased source. If you are to formulate your opinion based on these posts, then one would have to say the manual transmissions are prone to the same failures. You'll see many posts about grinding gears, getting locked out of a certain gear blah blah blah.... This of course is not the case so, the choice is yours, no one else's. We are talking about mechanical issues and any car, no matter what, will have some problems associated with them and ultimately they will start to fail as things wear down. Either way, whatever you decide, you'll have a fun car to drive and one that makes you happy.

13. 12-25-2005 08:20 PM #13
      Hey fellas. Once again, I appreciate all your feedback. I test drove the car on saturday - it was definitely a smooth ride. It felt like it had hardly been driven, everything was tight. I did the 2nd half of the test drive in tiptronic, and again, i found no problems. It seemed to give you more torque in tiptronic. I'm finalizing the deal and picking up the car on thursday night - can't wait! Now all I have to do is familiarize myself with all these new terms and the VW handbook.

This car definitely makes me happy.

14. 12-25-2005 08:24 PM #14
      i have all the mods below and soon ill be doing a BT setup, 44k miles and it runs smooth as silk

12-25-2005 09:42 PM #15
      Hey fellas. Once again, I appreciate all your feedback. I test drove the car on saturday - it was definitely a smooth ride. It felt like it had hardly been driven, everything was tight. I did the 2nd half of the test drive in tiptronic, and again, i found no problems. It seemed to give you more torque in tiptronic. I'm finalizing the deal and picking up the car on thursday night - can't wait! Now all I have to do is familiarize myself with all these new terms and the VW handbook.

This car definitely makes me happy.

post pics after you pick it up!

16. 12-25-2005 09:50 PM #16
      I have a 2001 gti . I have always spent alot of money on simple up keep . I have only 68000 kilometers and if i had the choice i would not have buyed it . I am not putting down vw in itself , i love the 1.8 turbo engine but all the addtional reliability issues over the years have made me question the long term dependability of the mk4 platform . So without a long drawn out story you should pass maybe until they hammer down the mk5 platform and all the problems associated with new chassis . I have read they are trying to reestablish the reliability with the new platform . I myself am going to go for a subaru just for all wheel drive and the know reliability of thier chassis and build . Plus talking to mechanics i am tols they would only buy subaru , and toyota for thier own vehicles .

Vehicles
      01 gti vr6(RIP) mk3 vr6 coupe
      12-25-2005 10:06 PM #17
      theres a guy on here with 300k on his 1.8t!
      All mk4s smell a bit like crayons/candles. All mk3s smell like hot plastic and crayons. All mk2s smell like water damage, and all mk1s smell like mold and electrical fires.
      It's a VW thing.

18. 12-27-2005 09:07 AM #18
      Hey slicecom - I'll definitely post some pix after I pick it up.

re: mk4 platform, what is that exactly. I was under the assumption mk3 and mk4 etc were just body types. Can anyone explain what exactly it is? Sorry guys, I know these are probably basic questions.

12-27-2005 02:01 PM #19
      The marks are just generations. 99.5 to 05.5 is the mark4

20. 12-27-2005 04:40 PM #20
      thanks tippy. By the way, the tiptronic feature is fun as hell.

12-27-2005 04:50 PM #21
      thanks tippy. By the way, the tiptronic feature is fun as hell.
      hmmm, well I never really use it, myself. But I guess its cool. It probably will be cool in the snow

22. 12-27-2005 04:53 PM #22
      dubs like to say hi every few months, just to make sure you're giving then enough attention. they like to flash a check engine light at you. i just got a kind engagement from my 02 1.8t. it was a quick fix fix though, coolent themostat, it's like a $10 piece and real easy to install!

23. 12-27-2005 04:59 PM #23
      From a sturdiness piont of view, mine has been rock solid for 50K+ chipped miles

Vehicles
      03 e46 M3, 98.5 A4 1.8TQM, 01 Jetta Glx
      12-27-2005 05:43 PM #24
      congrats, it should be a great a car, the tip is made in japan, and they make some really good autos, I think it should be fine just don't beat on it, you should get many miles out of it.

25. n00b
      Vehicles
      2002 volkswagon jetta
      01-08-2013 03:12 PM #25
      ive been having problems with my jetta since i got it. it doesn't want to go into second i have to rev it to 6 let it back down to 2 then it kicks in and its getting really bad. any1 no what it could be. i coulden't drive it today because it didn't want to shift. i had to have my b/f grandma pick my daughter up from preschool:-( im a stay at home mom so of course i don't have the money and my b/f has been waiting on this forever now in the mean time i feel im kicking the **** out of this poor car to get it into second. when its been driving for a while you woulden't even think there is a problem and goes into gear great any input would be great ty