Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: burning oil smell

1. 12-31-2005 09:44 PM #1
      does anyone here get a smell of burning oil intermittenly during the winter It only happens when I have my heat on but I see no oil leaks dripping from the car!

2. 01-01-2006 12:09 AM #2
      When the car is cold run your hand over the back of the head by the firewall. See if there is oil there? The rear cam seal/seals for the V6 sometimes leaks oil and can burn on the exhaust Most of the time when you run the heat you are not recirculating the cabin air, especially if you are defrosting the windshield. Anyway if it is leaking there your in for a nice bill from your local mechanic as the Cam tensioner has to be removed to install the new gasket....Happy New Year!

3. 01-01-2006 06:59 AM #3
      Quote, originally posted by VariantStg3 »
      When the car is cold run your hand over the back of the head by the firewall. See if there is oil there? The rear cam seal/seals for the V6 sometimes leaks oil and can burn on the exhaust Most of the time when you run the heat you are not recirculating the cabin air, especially if you are defrosting the windshield. Anyway if it is leaking there your in for a nice bill from your local mechanic as the Cam tensioner has to be removed to install the new gasket....Happy New Year!

On both the 1.8T's and the V6, the valve cover gasket can leak oil as well. This is another thing to consider.

4. 01-01-2006 11:33 AM #4
      My 2001 1.8t was doing that, and it turned out to be the can chain tensioner gasket/cam seals.

5. 01-01-2006 08:10 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by ophidia »
      My 2001 1.8t was doing that, and it turned out to be the can chain tensioner gasket/cam seals.
      ditto

Also, in case of any oil leak, be sure to have the PCV system inspected and repaired as necessary.

6. 01-02-2006 08:13 PM #6
      Valve gasket and cam seals are covered under powertrain warranty; 10yr/100k miles for original owners. Just had mine done on my 2001 1.8T last week. They also replaced a PCV breather hose of some sort - which was not warrantable but only about $30.

Don't pay for it unless you have to. I hear the cam seal replacement is very expensive; the valve gasket is around $140 parts and labor. Could probably do the valve gasket yourself and save at least $100, but I personally wouldn't fool with the cam seals.

Good Luck.

7. 01-03-2006 04:19 PM #7
      I have not had this problem with my W8, but had this problem with my Probe GT (V6).. Things you can check...

* Check around cam (valve cover) gasket.
      * Check oil fill cap is on tight.
      * Check PCV is on tight and there is no "soot" around it.
      * Check to make sure all PCV lines are connected. Sometimes when you change the airfilter, these things have a way of becoming undone.
      * If your ambitious, pull the plug wires our (CAREFULLY!!!!) and check inside to make sure the gaskets aren't leaking in there.

You want to be on the lookout for the soot, which is oil vapour that has collected dirt/dust.