Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Impressed by 2.5 6spd Tiptronic Loaner.

Vehicles
      '04 A4 Avant Sport
      01-05-2006 10:19 PM #1
      Took my '04 4-mo to the dealership today and they gave me a wheat beige '05 new Jetta.

I still think it looks mazdish, but damn is it fun to drive! The engine is very impressive and it steers sharply. The suspension is a little too soft. And I love the 6 speed Tiptronic transmission! So, awesome to have that sixth gear to shift up to on the highway. Damn the speed limit, baby is made for the f'ing autobahn.

After a little driving here are my pro's and con's.

Pro's: mpg, 6psd tip, sound system, power seats, dual climate control, trip computer with compass, cupholders!

Con's: Interior and exterior looks (why are the rear lights on the trunk? and the interior looks cheap and a dark gray dash w/ beige leather interior?), soft suspension, and the shark fin style antenna is noisy on the highway.

Overall: the car is very fun to drive!

Will have to drive one of the new Passats!

2. 01-05-2006 10:21 PM #2
      Quote, originally posted by borntorage »
      Con's: ... the interior looks cheap

are we talking about the same car?

cause after seeing the interior of the mkV the mkIV looks like a 1989 Buick Regal... to me

Modified by CrssEyedNSmilin at 7:24 PM 1-5-2006

3. 01-05-2006 10:22 PM #3
      Cool, glad you enjoyed it.

Its a decently fun car if you aren't looking to race. It did make me laugh that it was a wheat-beige...the damn death knell colour if there ever was one.

You get kick ass deals on that colour car!

Vehicles
      '04 A4 Avant Sport
      01-05-2006 11:03 PM #4
      Quote, originally posted by CrssEyedNSmilin »

cause after seeing the interior of the mkV the mkIV looks like a 1989 Buick Regal... to me

lol, I guess it is a step up from the MKIV. I am used the interior of the passat.... Yeah, you are right it is much nicer, the dials and all. It must be something about the lines.

Yeah, we have had two wheat beige cars... My wife loves the color. Our 4-mo is wheat beige with gray leather interior. edit: I think the color is pretty gay, but it grows on yah. Def. takes awhile for it to look dirty, unlike my Black Magic Pearl!

Modified by borntorage at 11:44 PM 1-5-2006

Vehicles
      2015 Audi TTS Comp Package
      01-05-2006 11:05 PM #5
      Go drive a 2.0T DSG and you head will blow off......
      Current: 2015 Audi TT S Competition Package
      Plans: Xpel clear bra, Gtechniq all over, H&R Sport Springs, H&R front and rear bars.
      Past: 2011 Audi TT S, Black on Black
      Remember: Imran Khan lives with his Dad and Mom!

6. 01-05-2006 11:21 PM #6

Con's: Interior and exterior looks

Everyone is entitiled to their opinion but I and many will disagree with you on that one. I saw Little Joe alreayd question you above

QUOTE - Are wa talkin about the same car!

Don't tell me that your 04 Passat has a better interrior. If you think so, wait let me go move my helicopter

7. 01-05-2006 11:30 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by v_dj_w »

Everyone is entitiled to their opinion but I and many will disagree with you on that one. I saw Little Joe alreayd question you above

QUOTE - Are wa talkin about the same car!

Don't tell me that your 04 Passat has a better interrior. If you think so, wait let me go move my helicopter

he already responded dork read the whole thread

Vehicles
      '04 A4 Avant Sport
      01-05-2006 11:48 PM #8

Now, now...

The more I think about it, yeah, the interior is nice. Lot of great features in accesable locations. Like the dials, better then the old school big turn dials. Lights look like they are placed nicely. Will see it after I get off work in a little...

The damn colors are awful. The beige interior with a dark gray dash and wood trim. The combination of colors could be better.

The steering wheel seems small. I will compare it to my '99 leather wrapped wheel, which I love. Like the leather boot on the shifter and steering wheel.

edit:

The interior lighting is very nice. Especially the overhead red lights that shine down and illuminate the cabin. Very cool! Also, saw that not only is the glove box cooled by a/c, but also the arm rest compartment.

Stopped for gas, and do not like the fact that there still is not a gas cap holder intergrated into the back of the fuel door.

What is the second light switch positon for?

And what is the 'S' for below the 'D' setting for the transmission?

There wasn't a manual in the car.

Modified by borntorage at 12:45 AM 1-6-2006

9. 01-06-2006 03:06 AM #9
      Pro's: ........cupholders!

cupholders is a pro???? I think the cupholders on the mkV are the worst I've ever seen, thats why I'm switching them to euro-cupholders. My mkIV cupholders were great, blocked the radio though but at least it held anything you put in it. like the ones in the rear center armrest of the mkV's=)

Stopped for gas, and do not like the fact that there still is not a gas cap holder integrated into the back of the fuel door.

The fuel cap has notches on the edge that clip onto the gas door.

What is the second light switch position for?

left is off, up is auto headlights and to the right is always on wish I had it on my GLI.

And what is the 'S' for below the 'D' setting for the transmission?

the "S" is sport mode, it just shifts a little more aggressive (closer to the redline) and locks out 6th I believe.

Modified by empGLI at 12:10 AM 1-6-2006

Modified by empGLI at 12:11 AM 1-6-2006

Vehicles
      01-06-2006 07:07 AM #10
      Quote, originally posted by empGLI »
      the "S" is sport mode, it just shifts a little more aggressive (closer to the redline) and locks out 6th I believe.

Does Tiptronic lock out 6th? DSG doesn't. Curious?

Plans: Xpel clear bra, Gtechniq all over, H&R Sport Springs, H&R front and rear bars.

11. 01-06-2006 07:36 AM #11

I wouldn't go that far. My mom had one of those Buicks. Heh Heh. I think the MK4 and Mk5 are similar, but of course the MK5 looks nicer.

Vehicles
      '09 6MT Sportwagen TDI, '11 6MT Golf TDI
      01-06-2006 07:43 AM #12
      Quote, originally posted by Mike Gordon »
      I wouldn't go that far. My mom had one of those Buicks. Heh Heh. I think the MK4 and Mk5 are similar, but of course the MK5 looks nicer.

The MKV also takes some getting used to. I know when I first drove one when they first arrived I didn't really like the interior. Partly due to the extra piece of dash along the bottom of the front windshield, and partly due to everything being higher up than in the MKIV. After some time of having ours, my MKIV interior now feels a bit cheap. Strange, huh? We had a B5.5, so I know that interior well, and it's really not much different than the MKIV, other than more spacious. The color combination can have an affect as well. The MKIV seemed to feel very nice with the beige interior (black dash), but it doesn't seem to fit the MKV to well, IMO. Trim levels can also make a difference. I know what the OP was driving had the bells and whistles, but our GLI "feels" nicer than a loaded 2.5 for some reason, but it might just be the seats and steering wheel.

Vehicles
      '04 A4 Avant Sport
      01-06-2006 10:50 AM #13
      Quote, originally posted by empGLI »

cupholders is a pro???? I think the cupholders on the mkV are the worst I've ever seen, that's why I'm switching them to euro-cupholders. My mkIV cupholders were great, blocked the radio though but at least it held anything you put in it. like the ones in the rear center armrest of the mkV's=)

The fuel cap has notches on the edge that clip onto the gas door.

left is off, up is auto headlights and to the right is always on wish I had it on my GLI.

Modified by empGLI at 12:10 AM 1-6-2006

Modified by empGLI at 12:11 AM 1-6-2006

Yeah the cupholders are nice. They aren't some pop-out, flimsy, hinged deal. But euro anything tends to be better.

The fuel cap clipping on the fuel door is not cool. Come on. You have to do it just right or it will slide off because of the tension in the dummy cord. An intergrated piece on the inside of the fuel door is needed. Might do a search..... Really hate clipping it on the fuel door.

Oh, auto headlights.

And I will have to try sport mode. Makes sense, I was thinking the 'S' stood for slow or snow or something other then drive.

14. 01-06-2006 11:44 AM #14

And I will have to try sport mode. Makes sense, I was thinking the 'S' stood for slow or snow or something other then drive.

haha, best quote of the week!

Vehicles
      2008 Golf V 2.5
      01-06-2006 11:52 AM #15

haha, best quote of the week!

hahaha

Vehicles
      '04 A4 Avant Sport
      01-06-2006 12:49 PM #16
      That video 'rocks!'

I wish I could burn it to cd, that way when I go out the loaner and drop the bi into 'S' mode, I could have some crazy SNL gangsta rap to drive to!

01-06-2006 01:37 PM #17
      Yeah I have a wheat beige one just because my fiance liked that color but now I don't hate it as much.

18. 01-06-2006 08:23 PM #18
      Glad you enjoyed it. They are great little cars. I agree with you on the tail lights, I would have preferred if they would have made them more like the MKIV lights. I really like the rumble of the engine on the 2.5, its quite unique.

19. 01-06-2006 10:40 PM #19
      he already responded dork read the whole thread

I realize that Pizza Boy, I just wanted to make my own statement !!!

Vehicles
      '11 Routan, '10 JSW
      01-06-2006 11:30 PM #20
      Quote, originally posted by Elbows »
      Cool, glad you enjoyed it.

Its a decently fun car if you aren't looking to race. It did make me laugh that it was a wheat-beige...the damn death knell colour if there ever was one.

You get kick ass deals on that colour car!

You might think I'm weird, but I love that color. When I was thinking of getting a TDI that's what I wanted, a beige with black interior. I didn't really see any though, plenty of beige 2.5s. Then I went GLI and it's not a color option, although a beige GLI would probably look bad.

21. 01-07-2006 09:50 AM #21
      My car was in the shop for little nit-picks.... and they gave me the same car but with the wheat color instead of my black/grey interior... Needless to say it was pretty nauseating and reminded me of when I use to smoke, it was the same color as the filter on the Camel cigs I use to use.

I call it "Nicotine Yellow"... I know, opinions are like Civics... Everyone has one and they all stink.

Peach Blossom - Team My Little Pony

Vehicles
      '04 A4 Avant Sport
      01-08-2006 02:24 PM #22
      The interior color has started to grow on me. Though I would like to see a wheat beige with black interior.... Our 4-mo is wheat but with gray interior and it looks nice.

The Sport mode does lock out 6th gear. Not too impressed, would rather use the tip to shift for 'sport' driving. Really like the transmission and would easily pay the extra grand for the step up to the 6 speed tip.

The auto light feature is kind of the same as the 'S' drive, I really don't find the need for either of them. If I want the lights on then, hey, I'll turn them on.

Does anyone else think the fin antenna is noisy when over 60 mpg?

23. 01-08-2006 03:39 PM #23
      Quote, originally posted by medicracer »
      I know, opinions are like Civics... Everyone has one and they all stink.
      I like that.

Vehicles
      01-08-2006 04:55 PM #24
      The interior color has started to grow on me. Though I would like to see a wheat beige with black interior.... Our 4-mo is wheat but with gray interior and it looks nice.

I had a 02 GTS white with black---very tailored looking---I wanted the same in a GLI but no! And I got red with dark gray-not black-would have been shaper with black to me.....

My 2 cents.....