Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: What are the common problems for a 98 jetta glx vr6

1. 01-06-2006 03:02 AM #1
      I just bought a 98 jetta vr6 last year. It only has 80,000 miles on it, and it was very well taken care of by previous owner. So far i have had to replace the spark plugs and wires, window motor, window switchs, The Coil pack cracked, i fixed that with some jb weld. My tranny started going weird on me. It use to go in reverse when i went into first and i wasnt able to shift to 5th, but all i had to do is tighten a bolt and everything went back to normal so i got lucky there. Im getting kind of tired of paying for repairs, i just wanted to know what other problems does this jetta commonly have?

2. 01-06-2006 08:03 AM #2
      I am about to purchase the same car - a 98 GLX VR6. I had previously thought that VW's were reliable but maybe not ?

The car has 98,000 miles on it and I'm really worried about the timing chain among other things.

I don't want to be getting into a money bucket, and it seems VW's are known for that

susie

Vehicles
      99 Passat GLX, 73 Campmobile (project) 98 Jetta GLX (Sold) 94 Jetta GLX (Sold) 99 Beetle (traded)
      01-06-2006 09:53 AM #3
      Quote, originally posted by susieVWhopeful »
      I am about to purchase the same car - a 98 GLX VR6. I had previously thought that VW's were reliable but maybe not ?

The car has 98,000 miles on it and I'm really worried about the timing chain among other things.

I don't want to be getting into a money bucket, and it seems VW's are known for that

susie

I have a 98 GLX my car has almost 150,000 miles and the chains have not been done. Window probs are with any MKIII that has power windows (poorly made) same as coil pack prone to crack after so long.

As long as you check out the car once in a while, take a look under the hood you should be fine. Don't be one of those people who only open the hood when there is a problem

Any car can be a money bucket if not taken care of

4. 01-06-2006 10:08 AM #4
      My '98 Jetta GLX with 100,101 miles on it has had the following stuff replaced on it (not counting mods, and not in order):

All four wheel bearings
      waterpump
      exhaust
      fuel gauge sender
      ignition switch
      tie rod end boot
      combi valve (EGR)
      set of brakes (shoes and rotors)
      lower control arm bushings
      CD changer
      ebrake cable
      1 window drive, one window wiring harness
      couple of ABS sensors
      all radiator hoses (one leaked, so I did them all)

plus the usual plugs, batteries, filters, tires, etc.

5. 06-25-2009 08:37 PM #5
      I had 240kms on mine and the chain was ready to go mk3s have a suicidal tensioner, its a pretty expensive procedure so i bought a factory rebuilt mk3 VR6 engine with the mk4 timing chain setup which uses a better tensioner system. now its getting time to swap out the transmission as its getting a bit noisy.

Vehicles
      2013 SB GTI Autobahn 2dr 6MT
      06-25-2009 08:41 PM #6
      all of the above

and timing chains

Vehicles
      01 GTI 1.8t, 82 Scirocco 2.0 16v
      06-25-2009 10:45 PM #7
      timing chains timing chains timing chains. agreed

Vehicles
      One of everything :)
      06-25-2009 11:25 PM #8
      Did anyone say timing chains yet?

It all comes down to how you take care of your car.

All of my cars have little to no issues.

Things like wheel bearings, breaks, tune up parts cant count because they are expected to wear out. Plus you do rear bearings when you do breaks anyway.

If you have alot of susp parts going bad I recomend getting a better place to get your car alig. because they are not doing it right, or your driving over to may curbs.

Yes the power windo reg go bad, more often then any average car? No

If you fail to keep things like plug wires up to par, your going to mess up your coil pack, but again, buying a $200 coil pack every 120k is not that big of deal. If you keep the oil and grime off the coil pack it will not crack on you either.

DONT BUY A AUTO!! Yes, VW cant seem to make a auto that will not self destruct. Time will tell with the DSG, all of them are to new still to start showing mass failure. And MKI's did not make enough power to break the trans

Oh, did i mention chains?

Vehicles
      '07 B6 Wagon 3.6, '05 E46 M3 ZCP, '96 J3 GL [SOLD], '97 J3 GLX [SOLD] '05.5 JV [Sold],
      06-26-2009 01:15 AM #9
      Door moldings will fall off occasionally. Every Window regulator. Combi Valve for the damn secondary air injection system. 170K miles and i still have original starter, alternator, water pump. Hit redline every time I drive it. Did timing chain at 120K. Coil pack finally couldn't take any more epoxy and had to replace it. Anything else I have had to replace becasue i broke it or wore it out.

Good luck. I still love my '97 GLX.

Vehicles
      One of everything :)
      06-26-2009 01:36 AM #10
      Yeah, but can you say that the things that went wrong as you said above did so at a rate any higher then any other car?

One coil pack a few window motors, and maint items. Sounds like a good car to me.

Vehicles
      8v
      06-26-2009 01:46 AM #11
      I paid some of all the payment on a 98 GLX today. Can't wait for her. Keyless module going!! Oh noes!
      VWfiends

Vehicles
      '07 B6 Wagon 3.6, '05 E46 M3 ZCP, '96 J3 GL [SOLD], '97 J3 GLX [SOLD] '05.5 JV [Sold],
      06-26-2009 01:54 AM #12
      Quote, originally posted by Jason_Reuben »
      Yeah, but can you say that the things that went wrong as you said above did so at a rate any higher then any other car?

One coil pack a few window motors, and maint items. Sounds like a good car to me.

[QUOTE=Jason_Reuben]Yeah, but can you say that the things that

Relax. I'm on VWvortex because I like my VW. The guy asked what goes wrong. These are the things that went wrong.

Just the facts.

Modified by mexglx at 6:55 AM 6-26-2009