VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Do we need Xenon adjustment for GLI's with lowered suspensions??

111K views 76 replies 29 participants last post by  newSWARTZ 
#1 ·
This is from the Audi A3(8P) forum.
They're having a problem adjusting the xenons in lowered A3's; as the lowering seems to be tilting the auto levelling sensors.
1. Is anyone with a lowered GLI having this problem?
2. For those of us planning on lowering their car, is this what we have to do to recalibrate the sensors?
3. (Slightly off topic) I read somewhere that if you have the alignment done, the dealer needs to have the steerings electronics zeroed and recalibrated after the alignment.
Can someone explain #3?
Here's the link to the A3 post:
http://forums.fourtitude.com/z...10890

Modified by Nurendra at 11:17 PM 1-9-2006

#27 ·
Re: (thread)

Quote, originally posted by adeck20 »
It won't be long before one of these Vortex geniuses figures it out. My bet is on the guy who decoded the LED tails. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Quote, originally posted by thread »
Uh, but, mine work.

So do mine. You guys must have some installation error to be having the issues you're having. And for all we know, the A3's may have a different leveling motor setup then the GLI's do.

#29 ·
Re: (Branman)

Quote, originally posted by Branman »
why couldnt you cut the rods and weld them back together shorter. Maybe the suspension companies will start adding these to there kits. Just a thought

You could do that!
But combined with the error codes, and seeing the brackets... I can see how there is room for MUCH variance between cars. I'll have to go out and see if my crowbar tricks worked to remove the codes.
Did any of you all read the code above that I posted?
Even if it's working or not working, you can NOT set the baseline for the HID's using known procedures. Did anyone pick up on that?

#31 ·
Re: (syntrix)

Quote, originally posted by syntrix »
Adjustment Invalid Adjustment Not Possible.

The basic setting must be performed under the following requirements:
- no fault codes stored
- control module coded correctly
- battery voltage above 10.5 V
- front/rear level sensor within specification range!
- ignition on
- lights on
- hand/parking brake NOT engaged
Once you lowered the suspension, the sensors give implausible values.
I've updated the specific VAG-COM labelfile for that control module, so it will show specifications for the 2 sensors now, the updated file can be found here:
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-c...7.lbl
So as you can see, the current values of the 2 sensors can be found in meas. block 2.
Block 002 Field 1 = Front Sensor (G78) (actual)
Specification: 12.5...50.0 %
Block 002 Field 2 = Rear Sensor (G76) (actual)
Specification: 50.0...87.5 %
As said, I doubt that your sensors give values in the specification range, but you should check them anyway.
So in princinple you have 2 chances now, relocate the sensors, or try an untested procedure.

IMHO relocating the sensors is not an option, due to warrenty and so on. So if your sensors are out of spec, try this:
VAG-COM > Select > 55 - Xenon > Adaptation - 10 > Channel 006
I'm not sure which value is stored, it's whether 0 or 1, simply change it to the opposite and try the basic setting.

Modified by Theresias at 7:12 AM 1-31-2006

#33 ·
Re: (Branman)

Theresias, good stuff!!!

Since the car has gone down 1.2 - 1.4" with lowering. I have been thinking that even one leveler, if it's bottomed out, will cause the problem. The rears are a pain to modify.
I'm going to pick up some steel at the hardware store and fabricate some new brackets. If that works, I'll make a few sets and sell 'em for cheap.
I'm pretty sure it's just the rear one that is at the limits now. The front one can be bent upward quite a bit. Checking the values should tell where they are, and it might be helpful to jack the car up a bit and re-read those values.
Ok, I think I'm on the right track now!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#34 ·

Theresias, good stuff!!!

Since the car has gone down 1.2 - 1.4" with lowering. I have been thinking that even one leveler, if it's bottomed out, will cause the problem. The rears are a pain to modify.
I'm going to pick up some steel at the hardware store and fabricate some new brackets. If that works, I'll make a few sets and sell 'em for cheap.
I'm pretty sure it's just the rear one that is at the limits now. The front one can be bent upward quite a bit. Checking the values should tell where they are, and it might be helpful to jack the car up a bit and re-read those values.
Ok, I think I'm on the right track now!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I'll be interested in purchasing those brackets, if you make some http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#36 ·
Re: (adeck20)

I just have this, you can only really see the link hanging down.

The bottom of the link is in a hole in the control arm.
The sensor part is on a bracket and has a metal shield on the top of it. Directly above is the exhaust.
It would make sense to make a braket to extend the lower mount point down about 1" or so.
edit: and directly above the link you can see the black arm of the leveler.

#38 ·
Re: (Theresias)

I did read your post, and it's uber appreciated!
Quote »
IMHO relocating the sensors is not an option, due to warrenty and so on. So if your sensors are out of spec, try this:
VAG-COM > Select > 55 - Xenon > Adaptation - 10 > Channel 006
I'm not sure which value is stored, it's whether 0 or 1, simply change it to the opposite and try the basic setting.

I just can't try until I get home tonight. But in preparation, I'm just going to get some metal from the hardware store at lunch.... just in case! If I don't need it, I can use it for other projects.
I WILL be sure to try that procedure tonight!!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
edit: for reference, the label file required: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-c...7.lbl

Modified by syntrix at 9:43 AM 1-31-2006

#41 ·

I know my car is a MkIV, but it does have the auto-leveling Bi-Xenons. When I first lowered my car, I noticed that the auto-leveling stopped working. With the help of Uwe at Ross-Tech, we came to find out that the front sensor was significantly out of the specified range. However, the rear sensor was still well within the specified range. On the MkIV, where the front sensor mounts to the control arm, I was able to drill another hole for the bolt that secures the lower portion of the sensor arm. Note, this hole is literally probably no more than 1/2" lower than the factory hole and it put the front sensor smack-dab in the middle of the specified voltage range. I was then able to perform the Basic Settings procedure for aiming the lights.
My point is, the amount of adjustment that has to be done to the sensor is probably very small as they actually don't move that much due to their position on the control arm. As far as the rear sensor is concerned, I doubt that it is actually out of spec because there is room for significantly more movement in the rear suspension due to the possibility of having a full trunk, a full tank and 3 people in the backseat.

#45 ·
what's the chance these things do anything with the H7 bulbs? I haven't lowered my 2.5 or anything but I'm having an impossible time getting the high beams aimed properly on this thing without the low beams being aimed straight at the ground 10' infront of me. It's been to the dealer over this issue, but it just returned them to the same position as when I bought the car, which is the highbeams pointing into the sky at about a 30degree angle.
Thanks

#46 ·

Quote, originally posted by Theresias »
Sorry, my fault.
Channel 008 is the one.
55/08/002, Meas. Blocks NOT Basic Setting.

55/08/002:
front: 37.6%
rear: 18.8%
actuator motor activation: 52%
008 stored value: 1
changed to: 0

Then the basic on 55/04/001 and 002 still show Adjustment Invalid, Adjustment not possible.
I still have the code.
Rears are probably the culprit, huh?

#47 ·

Then the basic on 55/04/001 and 002 still show Adjustment Invalid, Adjustment not possible.

Did you switch off the ignition between savin the adapatation value and starting the basic setting?
Rears are probably the culprit, huh?

Yep, looks like that.
If the stuff above still doesn't work, try lifting the rear of the car so that the rear value is above 50 %, then try the basic setting again, so that we can see if this is really the problem.

#48 ·

Quote, originally posted by Theresias »
Did you switch off the ignition between savin the adapatation value and starting the basic setting?
Yep, looks like that.
If the stuff above still doesn't work, try lifting the rear of the car so that the rear value is above 50 %, then try the basic setting again, so that we can see if this is really the problem.

I set the new value, then tried the basic setting.
I then shut off the ignition, waited the 20 seconds or so, then tried again. Same thing.
I'll try again, and I'll try to raise the rears a little to "trick it" . Back in a bit...

#49 ·

with the rear side jacked up, wheel off the ground, it's only hitting 25.1%
I just figured it out.. the adjuster is pivoting on one side.
You push it at the joint of the rod and the plastic piece and it "snapped" to the other side. The "V" was pointing to the passenger side... it needs to be pointed to the drivers' side. Pics will clarify it!!! 52.9% in the air....
Let's lower it and see where it's at....
65.9%.
Yes, I have wireless, and I'm doing it right now. I took a pic in the "wrong" orientation... I'll get that online in a bit...
Now to try the coding procedure......

#51 ·

Here's the picture. The junction of hte metal rod and the black plastic are pointed to the left, which is the passenger side. THat is incorrect.
It must point towards the driver's side. I must have made that mistake during reassembly.... I just pushed it like this towards the driver's side, it "snapped" into place, and the measuring block showed correct %'s.
So if your stuff is messed up, that must be a common thing to do!!!! I'd check the measuring blocks to see where it's at though.

edit: they do adjust when driving now, they weren't doing it before. I haven't done the physical adjustment then vag-com reset yet, I'm just glad it's working now so that I don't blind people when I hit bumps!!

Modified by syntrix at 7:59 PM 1-31-2006

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.