Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: supercharger for air cooled!

1. 01-19-2006 02:35 AM #1
      i have found amongst my watercooled parts. an original vw supercharger, it's a rotortype and fairly small. it is in imaculate condition. is there a demand for this kind of thing? if i was to try and sell it how much should i expect. i'm into rabbits and my knowledge of air cooled stuff is limited.

what engine was this made for?

thanks guys.

Vehicles
      Slammed '60 Singlecab
      01-19-2006 11:54 AM #2
      hard to tell without a pic at least. Is it a Judson charger?

There's a few for sale on the Samba..

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/cla...earch

3. 01-19-2006 12:54 PM #3
      you sure it's a supercharger? There's a smog pump for early watercooled VWs (with a VW logo stamped on it) that looks pretty similar to a supercharger and looks like it'll bolt onto an aircooled manifold (same bolt pattern). Every once in awhile I see it on eBay or elsewhere the seller thinking it's a rare factory supercharger. VW never made a supercharger, they were always outsourced to other companies so if it has a VW stamp it's not a supercharger

You have a pict of yours?

For reference here's the most common vintage VW supercharger made by Judson

And a more rare vintage charger, Shorrock

And the only rcurrentsupercharger you can buy today, DLI:

Modified by nicnaor at 5:56 PM 1-19-2006

4. 01-22-2006 10:37 PM #4
      thanks i guess that it must be an air pump. cause it shure don't look like those. thanks guys

5. 01-23-2006 05:43 PM #5
      nick, would and old charger like that do anything for a 1915 ?

just wondering ?

i know a guy who rebuilds judsons.

6. 01-23-2006 06:34 PM #6
      there's 2 types of Judsons, for 1200cc and 1600cc's. The 1200 makes it more like a 1500cc HP, not much perfromance gain but more for the vintage gurus really. There's cheaper ways to get more HP then a vintage $$$ supercharger, leave them for the vintage guys IMO. They require some preventative maintance (constant oil, etc) as well unlike most modern supercharger. Most Judsons sold may require to be rebuilt or at least some stuff looked at but the buyers don't know that and just run them as is, then they later complain they suck, etc.

I'm no expert in this field though. Just passing info I've picked up from others. Vintage chargers are cool for the vintage guys and period correct racers and such. If you want real HP then spend your $$ elsewhere and get more back for your buck. Now on the other hand, the DLI kicks ass in HP boost They probably costs the same as a complete Judson set in working order. There's a few guys running a junkyard supercharger setup, most using an Eaton M45 supercharger. A good rule of finding a jundyard setup is get a supercharger off a moter similar size as your VW motor, meaning don't get one off a V8 Mustang but one off a BMW Mini would be a good candidate.

Modified by nicnaor at 11:37 PM 1-23-2006

7. Member
      01-23-2006 10:19 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by nicnaor »
      there's 2 types of Judsons, for 1200cc and 1600cc's.

Pretty sure the 2 types are 36hp and 40hp. Pretty sure.

8. 01-24-2006 09:53 AM #8
      yup, my fault. was wondering why it didn't sound right when I was typing it.

9. Member
      01-24-2006 10:04 AM #9
      Quote, originally posted by nicnaor »
      yup, my fault. was wondering why it didn't sound right when I was typing it.

Well you can use a 40hp unit on a 1300 or bigger, but when you get up to 1600cc's, it doesn't really provide much benefit and requires a little bit of modding to get it to work. If a FI 1600 is the goal, somone would be better served with one of the low bugget kits IMO.