Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2006 Jetta 2.5 - Speaker Sizes?

1. 01-19-2006 05:16 PM #1
      I'm curious if anyone knows the exact speaker sizes for the front and rear door speakers in the 2006 Jetta 2.5s with the Premium Sound System (in-dash changer, xm, etc.).

I ask because I have been able to find almost everything there is to know about these cars online except for the speaker sizes. I was under the impression that the factory speaker sizes in the '06 were the same as the '06, but after getting the door open I'm seeing what looks like a 3 1/2 and 7 inch speaker and then the tweeter whereas I thought the '05s had a 4 and a 6 1/2 with the tweeters. The rear I haven't removed yet, but iirc the '05 had a 6 1/2 there as well?

If anyone can confirm that I am, in fact, seeing 3 1/2 and 7 here in front of me I'd appreciate it. I'm looking to do some upgrading but I don't want to end up ordering the wrong size(s).

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I did a forum search and a quick scan of the DIY section and I couldn't find it either way.

2. 01-19-2006 05:25 PM #2
      A quick phone call to a local audio shop might be of some service. I know most of the shops around here are more than happy to help with sizes.

I remember seeing something a while back where a fellow member had taken his door panels off to fix the rattle issue. He had taken several pics of the speakers (not sure about the rear doors, but def had the fronts). Check the faq/DIY thread and look up the door rattle issue.

Edit: here's the door pics: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2061286

Modified by Dexman1349 at 1:28 PM 1-19-2006

3. 01-19-2006 05:34 PM #3
      I actually tried calling around already, I guess I should have mentioned that.

Nobody's tech manuals seem to have been updated for the '06 yet, and none of the websites with the "what fits my car" feature have anything on the '06 yet either.

Thanks for the link though.. although unless my perspective is off that doesn't look quite the same as my door looks. I'm still a little skeptical they might have resized the speakers for the '06 since, based on the date of the posts, those pics are an '05.

Maybe I'm just remembering wrong though since I have the door re-assembled and am going based on memory.

4. 01-19-2006 05:54 PM #4
      I'm not aware of any changes from the 05.5 to the 06 in that sense. I know the packages were reset-up so that the 05.5 pkg 2 ended up being almost a pk3 for 06.

But as far as the premium sound system,I believe it remained unchanged.

By all means,if someone has better info please correct me.

5. 01-19-2006 05:56 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by Dexman1349 »
      I'm not aware of any changes from the 05.5 to the 06 in that sense. I know the packages were reset-up so that the 05.5 pkg 2 ended up being almost a pk3 for 06.

But as far as the premium sound system,I believe it remained unchanged.

By all means,if someone has better info please correct me.

In the 06 model year the premium package lost the amplifier under the drivers seat (that the 05.5 had) and the speakers run off audio directly from the headunit.

The difference in audio quality is very noticeable, and probably a means of cost cutting by VW.

Im not sure about speaker sizes though.