Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 676 123451151101501 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Road Cyclists and Mountain Bikers (Merged thread)

Vehicles
      Skoda RS TDI
      01-31-2006 01:01 AM #1

Just bought myself a new toy for my bday last week. Thought it was about time i got off my BMX now that im old.

Decided on the norco after much research, wanted a freeride hardtail for a bit of everything.

Now im thinking i should do some good riding with this thing, where is there to ride in Sydney??? Who rides? Where? Often? I may come out for a test run!

Pic of new toy.

http://www.norco.com/ts/pass/t...black

2. 01-31-2006 01:04 AM #2
      Come with me my friend.

Modified by patrick_centurion at 4:06 PM 1-31-2006

3. 01-31-2006 01:06 AM #3
      nice!

In the shire at the beginning of the natio you can park just there and get into some light and moderate tracks. You can get a map from the info centre (quite useless). Otherwise just follow the bike signs (for mtbs) in the nation and you'll find some good tracks. If you havent riden in a whilde dude take it easy, first your butt, then your legs, then your puffed.. before you know it a snake will be passing you down hill

Otherwise check out http://www.26inches.com or look for hippies site on google aus and he lists all the ones in the blue mountains etc!

4. 01-31-2006 01:11 AM #4
      the shire is hard to find decent interesting tracks now, they bloody shut it down. too many goons.

monkey, when I get my new sproket fixed we can ride the reactor, guaranteed to be fun - notice to expert.

Vehicles
      Skoda RS TDI
      01-31-2006 01:17 AM #5

Hmm, so i assume you take this quite seriosly Pat?

I have a feeling i would need to bring out my mx bike to keep up with you.

Fuzion, do you mean the royal national park? I am still a sydney novice!

I will take it easy at first, last time i had my BMX at the track (4 yrs ago) i broke my right arm, left hand and cracked my collarbone!!!

Maybe its time i ventured into some mtb forums for info.

Vehicles
      Skoda RS TDI
      01-31-2006 01:19 AM #6
      Quote, originally posted by patrick_centurion »
      the shire is hard to find decent interesting tracks now, they bloody shut it down. too many goons.

monkey, when I get my new sproket fixed we can ride the reactor, guaranteed to be fun - notice to expert.

You mean near lucas heights? I have been round there on my minibike.

7. 01-31-2006 01:20 AM #7
      oh jees, patrick make sure you take a first aid kit and a trailer on ur bike to bring him back with you..

monk, yeah the natio i usually mean the royal national park. its locked in to say that lol.

bit of light riding and sight seeing, try the captain cookings landing place (botany national park?) u can go thru the firetrails there. light and easy.

lane cove national park too, otherwise wakehurst parkway but i think thats a bit more advanced

8. 01-31-2006 01:24 AM #8

this is my baby, a 2005 haro V3. i have the silver and blue model. it's cheap and effective

Modified by eestison at 4:26 PM 1-31-2006

Vehicles
      BMW/Ford/Colnago/Blackhawk/DMR
      01-31-2006 01:27 AM #9
      Monkey, what did it set you back if you dont mind me asking?

Vehicles
      Skoda RS TDI
      01-31-2006 01:33 AM #10

RRP $1500, monkey price $1250. (Bike barn liverpoo)

Norco Sasq has great spec for the money, i also looked at Kona, Iron Horse, Jamis etc and the Norco was the best bet and has great reviews.

11. 01-31-2006 01:34 AM #11
      I got the DiamondBack Response.. same area as you basically. money goes more to car then bike unfortunately. lol

(christ thats a bad picture of it but)

12. 01-31-2006 01:51 AM #12
      Nice Ride monkeysrus

I ride an 05’ Kona Stinky still fairly stock. There are a few hot spots in Hobart for downhill… Mt Wellington, Glenorchy MTB Park, Mt Nelson, etc…

My Stinky:

Mate catching some air - Mt Wellington in background:

Modified by TassieKaiser at 10:52 PM 1-30-2006

13. 01-31-2006 01:56 AM #13
      thats the one, across from the reactor. Its a good track, probably the best CBD mixed track I have riden - the best would have to be the lost world in the blue mountains. Come out with us when we go next, you can take it easy, we will wait up for you. My mate has a flow hardtail also.

14. 01-31-2006 02:27 AM #14
      You guys and your full susp jobbies... Sooo heavy!!! Maybe it is an overdeveloped sense of self preservation, but I think my xc gets me downhill plenty fast enough... I got a Merida Matts Viper with Judy's and XT and LX running gear...

Nice bike, though, I like Norco. If I went another, it would be either a Rocky Mountain, Norco, Kona or a Haro... When you come to Cbr, bring the bikes and call me...

15. 01-31-2006 02:32 AM #15
      steve, your pile of metal may be good for majura but on a proper DH track you would be on your face in the first 10m.

Have any of you fallen 'properly' yet ?

16. 01-31-2006 02:34 AM #16
      And heres me with my Trek Fuel 80. Just started riding again - just around the edge of town at the moment til I get fit again. Sore legs and a sense of panic when riding near taxis in Sydney (and crazy-a55 vw drivers)

17. 01-31-2006 02:40 AM #17
      where do u enter for the reactor ride? heads to etc?

18. 01-31-2006 02:51 AM #18
      if you are at the entrance of the reactor grounds, you cross the road into the bushland and you will see the track, go in there and start riding, its a big loop. Its our local ride so we know it well.

I will be riding again in 2 weeks, anyone keen to come ?

19. 01-31-2006 03:00 AM #19
      Who wants to buy my fully hectic DMR Rhythm?
      It's fully XTR and all the good shiit.

Vehicles
      Skoda RS TDI
      01-31-2006 03:35 AM #20

Wow, lots of mtb heads!!!

Pat, 2 weeks sounds good. Will give me time to adjust to the bike. I think i have lots to learn.

Mammy, get off yo ass and ride!!!

21. 01-31-2006 03:41 AM #21
      The only thing Patty cakes can teach ya are radical face-plants.

22. 01-31-2006 03:45 AM #22
      face plant - yes I have master that with a full face helmet - dirt tastes great with blood.

When I rode last was red hill and I fak'd myself good and proper, couldnt walk for about 2 weeks. My knees will never be the same..... ah well.

Mikes bike has maybe been ridden around a car park once, apart from that its all mam - show pony. bi atch !

23. 01-31-2006 04:19 AM #23
      I have had the 05 for a bit over a year now and have been really happy with it. It's a really versatile bike that can handle a beating. I think the extra weight is worth the extra strength. Enjoy !

24. 01-31-2006 06:04 AM #24
      Hey monkey man. You know I have one of those mountain bikes too, somewhere covered in dust.

I'll be up for a ride, more XC as i only have a cheapo hardtail, I have a DMR trailstar under the house some where, maybe build it up soon as well.

My road bike is worth more than my S16, easily

25. 01-31-2006 06:07 AM #25
      steve, your pile of metal may be good for majura but on a proper DH track you would be on your face in the first 10m.

Theres the thing... I agree with you totally. Part of my self preservation thing is related to my being a musician, and having walked away from a couple of fairly big stacks involving pine trees at speed and my torso, I figure I go plenty fast enough. If I fall and injure, I dont play for 6 weeks or so. That would blow. Hence hardtail XC is plenty good for my liking. I love the tech that goes into downhills, though. Rugged stuff!!! I tend to maneuver down downhill tracks, as opposed to riding down them...

26. 01-31-2006 06:10 AM #26
      Quote, originally posted by Stevemk2gti »

I tend to maneuver down downhill tracks, as opposed to riding down them...

Good comeback steve. I agree.

Go rigid and single speed one day.

27. 01-31-2006 07:04 AM #27
      lol, some rocks are just too big to go over though.

Last time I went to majura I was blowing out my a ss. When we got to th top of the top I just barrelled down a big chute, got down in about 2mins - but boy was it hairy !

28. Banned
      01-31-2006 10:48 AM #28
      Looks expensive. I bought a new bike recently as my old bike snapped the frame as it rusted.

All I could afford was $299.00 Taiwanese el-cheapo (called Giant/Yukon):

Vehicles
      Skoda RS TDI
      01-31-2006 06:12 PM #29
      Quote, originally posted by gtirabbi »
      I have had the 05 for a bit over a year now and have been really happy with it. It's a really versatile bike that can handle a beating. I think the extra weight is worth the extra strength. Enjoy !

That was the only thing about the sasq that worried me. The weight. It is not to heavy really and i figure ill have the bike for a long time so am happy with the extra strength. Maybe ill upgrade some of the crappier parts to CF.

Aaron, dig it up! Come out for a cruise. Ill be taking it very easy.

Should i buy a full face helmet if i want to go crazy???

01-31-2006 06:35 PM #30

More scars than I care to show you including a good 10cm Jobbie on my right wrist. I've still got my Ghetto Giant Carbon Fibre single speed with Rock Shox Mag 21's. I always hurt myself more falling on the road than falling offroad. Funniest was when I clipped a tree after swapping to riser bars when they first came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stubby, Esq. View Post
      buy both, save time.

31. 01-31-2006 06:48 PM #31
      when I first started riding in the national park at audley the riser bars were clipping trees badly, after about 15min riding I clipped one and it swung me around into the bush, I got rid of them on the track and never went back.

Full face helmet, yes I think its a good idea. A beanie is only good if you dont like what your face looks like and want some free plastic surgery.

32. 01-31-2006 06:52 PM #32
      Quote, originally posted by monkeysrus »

Should i buy a full face helmet if i want to go crazy???

Do you like having teeth?

33. 01-31-2006 08:49 PM #33
      teeth - yes that to. I can vouch for my helmet saving my choppers on many occasions.

34. 01-31-2006 09:02 PM #34

my 2 front top teeth are false. well,.. dead nerves, crowned and capped or whatever they did, ...but smashed out the originals.... so yeah! Go full face Helmet !!!!

35. 01-31-2006 11:17 PM #35
      you dont talk with a listhp do you? i know its cruel but i had to say it sorry!

sweatyworker; same thing with me, although i swear the tree came for me as my friend passed through just before me.. my bar clipped it and over i went and my shoe flew ahead of me! i think i was hurt more from laughing at myself

Page 1 of 676 123451151101501 ... LastLast