Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 790 of 949 FirstFirst ... 290690740780786787788789790791792793794800840890 ... LastLast
    Results 19,726 to 19,750 of 23722

Thread: O/T Road Cyclists and Mountain Bikers (Merged thread)

1. 06-20-2012 11:53 PM #19726
      I've got a Moon X-Power 500 for the front. Decent output for a one-piece unit. And USB rechargeable. Enough light to illuminate the roads and powerful strobe for day commuting.
      For the rear, I use one of these. On a black seat post it integrates really well and the output/pattern is awesomely bright.

2. 06-21-2012 12:56 AM #19727
      Bought so far for the 920 build: XX Twist Shifters, Rock Shox SID WC 120mm, Cannondale Hollowgram SL crankarms/spider, FRM XX chaintring set 40t/27t, DT Swiss 190 front hub. About to pull the pin on a 190 hub/FRM wheel set today. It's slowly taking shape...

3. 06-21-2012 05:02 PM #19728
      Quote Originally Posted by TheHamofMam View Post
      I've got a Moon X-Power 500 for the front. Decent output for a one-piece unit. And USB rechargeable. Enough light to illuminate the roads and powerful strobe for day commuting.
      For the rear, I use one of these. On a black seat post it integrates really well and the output/pattern is awesomely bright.

What is this light, Mike? It might work well on my aero seat post fitting wise. But not so well if I am aiming for colour integration, unless they do white.

Only problem with having so many lights is having enough rechargeable batteries for them all. We have one each for the two chariot trailers, a spare for the chariots, one for each of my bikes (3) and 1 for Diones commuter.

4. 06-21-2012 05:22 PM #19729
      It's released by Serfas. A lot of bike shops stock em and many of the staff swear by them too.
      I also have a white/clear one so you're in luck.

06-22-2012 05:53 AM #19731

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      06-22-2012 06:20 AM #19732
      "Vulgar" is the first word that popped into my mind.
      “I would request that my body in death be buried not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets returned to the earth, so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I have dined upon flora and fauna during my lifetime” - Neil deGrasse Tyson.

7. 06-22-2012 06:48 AM #19733
      Nineties Bianchis are hot. That Flite saddle is choice too

8. 06-22-2012 08:43 PM #19734
      Thanks for the advice

Also;

9. 06-22-2012 10:03 PM #19735
      Madness! I guess these guys are the types that motorists categorise all cyclists as in their cyclist hate rants...

10. 06-23-2012 12:17 AM #19736
      I ride Chapel st and St Kilda Rd every day, so there's always a fair share of car doors swinging open on every trip. It gets the adrenaline going, but this stuff is just willful stupidity masquerading as staunchness and bravado. Fun I'm sure nonetheless.

11. Member
      06-23-2012 01:11 AM #19737
      From the comments:

Gumball for fixies
      Pretty much sums it up..

Vehicles
      Ibiza Cupra 16v
      06-23-2012 04:21 AM #19738
      Wasn't even OT!

Vehicles
      Ibiza Cupra 16v
      06-23-2012 04:45 AM #19739
      So I'm learning about cadence and how it's a very personal thing. The people I ride with seem to have a higher cadence to myself so the question is how much effort should I be putting in? If I cycle in an easier gear I feel like there is too little resistance!

14. 06-23-2012 06:14 AM #19740
      Being comfortable being able to ride at a higher cadence helps you with endurance as you tend to rely more on cardio fitness than brawn (assuming there is a good base level of cardio to begin with). Hence you can ride a lot longer without wearing your legs out. This was a massive lesson for me when I rode the 350km ride at the beginning of this year. I deliberately rode a lower gear just to conserve muscle.

Having said that, I generally cadence lower than a lot of other riders I ride with, and tend to rely on pushing a big gear rather than spinning. And again, confusingly, one of the fastest solo time trial type rides over 50kms I have ever done was a ride where I knew I was always riding one gear higher than I would ordinarily. As Aaron would say, if you want to go faster, pedal faster[sic].

It was interesting watching Wiggins on the second last stage climb in the Dauphine. He looked so comfortable and was spinning a bit faster than everyone he was riding with. He was definitely 'in the zone' that day, conserving muscle for a potential big effort if needed. He just relied on his cardio where a lot of his rivals, Cadel included, were grinding out the climb.

To ride at a higher cadence, you need to spend some time developing your ability to put in fairly even amounts of power all the way around the pedal stroke evenly without overcooking it at the top and bottom of the stroke and bouncing. This takes some time and practice. I can always feel when I am out of form that I am putting more power into the downstrokes and less on the rest of the revolution. Simply focussing on evening this out usually brings me back into form fairly quickly.
      Last edited by steve2gtis; 06-23-2012 at 06:18 AM.

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      06-23-2012 07:14 AM #19741
      To add to what Steve has already said, the best way to practice proper pedal stokes is when you are on your own and in no hurry to get anywhere. That way you can concentrate on sitting properly and find that perfect spot where you are the most comfortable.

Also, please make sure your bike and your cleats are set up properly. Mine weren't and I am still paying for that.
      “I would request that my body in death be buried not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets returned to the earth, so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I have dined upon flora and fauna during my lifetime” - Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Vehicles
      Ibiza Cupra 16v
      06-24-2012 02:03 AM #19742
      That is all helpful. I went out again today and am really enjoying feeling how much further I can get every time. The point you make about getting value out of the complete revolution is fair and I notice when I fall out of doing that.

Did a lot more elevation and steep sections today with another guy and it was interesting to see the difference between us both. I prefer to get out of the saddle staying on the large front cog and he prefers to stay in it and keep pedalling away in an easier gear.

This is a really addictive pastime!

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      06-24-2012 04:27 AM #19743
      Quote Originally Posted by mikinoz View Post
      This is a really addictive pastime!
      Wait 'till you start using Strava. That will bring you to the whole new level of addiction!

Vehicles
      Ibiza Cupra 16v
      06-24-2012 04:33 AM #19744
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      Wait 'till you start using Strava. That will bring you to the whole new level of addiction!
      Oh, I'm already there!

I'm already trying to think of ways I can sneak out during the week to catch a few segments locally!

Vehicles
      BMW/Ford/Colnago/Blackhawk/DMR
      06-24-2012 07:24 AM #19745
      I ride Chapel st and St Kilda Rd every day...
      Fkn azn hipster alert!

Vehicles
      06-24-2012 07:49 AM #19746
      Quote Originally Posted by mikinoz View Post
      So I'm learning about cadence and how it's a very personal thing. The people I ride with seem to have a higher cadence to myself so the question is how much effort should I be putting in? If I cycle in an easier gear I feel like there is too little resistance!
      Find what is comfortable for you... You've got to learn to pedal before you can learn to go fast. Spin and then build strength from this... soon you will be turning the pedals on 53/15 at 90rpm rather than 60rpm... and that is so much more fun!
      Last edited by TMK-001; 06-24-2012 at 07:54 AM.

Vehicles
      Ibiza Cupra 16v
      06-24-2012 07:57 AM #19747
      Quote Originally Posted by TMK-001 View Post
      Find what is comfortable for you... You've got to learn to pedal before you can learn to go fast. Spin and then build strength from this... soon you will be turning the pedals on 53/15 at 90rpm rather than 60rpm... and that is so much more fun!
      I did prefer what you posted first that happened to be emailed to me by the vortex auto mailer.

But other than that I appreciate your advice and hell, can't imagine how much more training I will have to do to be able to spin that fast!

Vehicles
      06-24-2012 01:51 PM #19748
      You have to start somewhere... the best place is with a proper bike fit if you haven't already.

Riding big gears is comfortable (until you blow them out trying to smash up hills) riding smaller gears will highlight poor bike fit quicker, make your ass sore if you have cheap knicks and may feel like you're going no where.

Smashing big gears makes you go "fast" but you'll top out at 35km/h and you'll be able to do that for 45 mins. At the start that will be exciting, but when you get 25km from home and you're knackered and you need to ride home, you'll wish you were dead and chances are after doing that for a month, you'll throw in the towel and hang the bike up. Pick a gear that you are comfortable to turn over for long periods of time on a flat and up smaller rises (you want cadence of around 85-90rpm) and focus on sticking to that range when you ride.

Always give a wave to other cyclists... you never know when you'll be on your third flat when you only have 2 spares.

Another thing I was told was to focus on pedaling down hill rather than coasting to maximise your ride ("Pro's don't freewheel" - C Evans)

A lot cycling is to do with fitness, but also a lot of it is to do with conditioning and muscle memory. You have to teach your body what you want it to do... and it does take time.

Find a few people to ride with that know what the hell they are doing. I'm fortunate enough to have a bloke who has taught me lots about racing, but the basics of riding in packs, when to use your energy, when to conserve, the benefit of "holding a wheel".

These things are the difference of getting home with your bunch or riding the last 30km alone. Home with your bunch is so much more fun than blowing up and riding 30km solo... only thing worse is being stuck in "no mans land" 30km from home, just off the back of your bunch, unable to get back across...

Eat a multivitamin. Stay healthy and warm through winter. Basic stuff, but often overlooked in your new found quest for good health. You have to eat, you have to drink.... sweating lots does not help lose weight if you don't replenish the lost fluids.

Strava is exciting... but for every bloke on there, there are 50 that are not. I say that its nice to get a segment, but its no podium on the Champs Elysee... so keep it real! I know a bloke who's been there and he is more humble than people I know who are in the top 50 on Beach Road Strava sector.

Get on cyclingtips.com.au and have a look at some of his archived stuff about riding in bunches. Lots of valuable tips in there for the n00bies... any other questions, sing out!

23. 06-24-2012 03:02 PM #19749
      ^ This is too articulate for Todd, where did you cut and paste this from?

Vehicles
      Ibiza Cupra 16v
      06-24-2012 05:20 PM #19750
      ^ This is too articulate for Todd, where did you cut and paste this from?
      Ha despite that thanks for the advice Toddy!

Page 790 of 949 FirstFirst ... 290690740780786787788789790791792793794800840890 ... LastLast