Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 350 of 950 FirstFirst ... 250300340346347348349350351352353354360400450850 ... LastLast
    Results 8,726 to 8,750 of 23727

Thread: O/T Road Cyclists and Mountain Bikers (Merged thread)

Vehicles
      BMW/Ford/Colnago/Blackhawk/DMR
      09-06-2008 01:23 AM #8726
      On Lightweights!?!

Vehicles
      BMW/Ford/Colnago/Blackhawk/DMR
      09-06-2008 03:49 AM #8727
      I have all the information now

3. 09-07-2008 04:17 AM #8728
      Quote, originally posted by monkeysrus »
      Was thinking a s/c superlight or blur.

I have a full XTR 20" Superlight. PM me if you want to test ride.
      SK

4. 09-07-2008 04:27 AM #8729
      He'll have to grow 10" to ride that.
      Quote Originally Posted by KGB View Post
      China's birthrate currently sits at 12/1000 = 18,000,000 this year, so your Rolex values are safe for now.

5. 09-07-2008 04:52 AM #8730
      It was pretty wet around my way today so I hopped back on the MTB today after a month and a half riding the road bike.
      Amazing how soft, slow and sloppy it felt in comparison..... I think it would be fair to say I am well and truly converted to road cycling.

Vehicles
      Skoda RS TDI
      09-07-2008 06:32 AM #8731
      Quote, originally posted by skc »
      I have a full XTR 20" Superlight. PM me if you want to test ride.
      SK

Thanks, mike is right though.

7. 09-07-2008 06:38 AM #8732

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      09-07-2008 07:35 AM #8733
      Quote, originally posted by Thunderceptor »
      I think it would be fair to say I am well and truly converted to road cycling.

It's easy to do. I was chasing a couple of strong riders yesterday and after flogging myself stupid trying to catch them up, it dawned on me that of all the sports that I do, nothing pushes me as hard, or gives me as great a sense of excitement or achievement as cycling.
      And every ride is different.
      Quote Originally Posted by TheHamofMam View Post
      That looks like something from their Prep Boy f@ggot collection.
      Quote Originally Posted by smarm View Post
      Can you give me a heads up when that hits the market.

9. 09-07-2008 07:40 AM #8734
      Quote, originally posted by mdt »
      It's easy to do. I was chasing a couple of strong riders yesterday and after flogging myself stupid trying to catch them up....

In the short time since switching to raod, that is one thing I have I have noticed. I seem to push myself harder and ride a whole lot better when I am chasing someone down, or tryng to ditch one that is hanging on behind.

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      09-07-2008 07:47 AM #8735
      Quote, originally posted by Thunderceptor »
      ... tryng to ditch one that is hanging on behind.

After a while you'll probably stop trying to ditch the person hanging on behind. For a start, it's near impossible unless:
      a) they are much slower than you;
      b) you're climbing a hill;
      c) you make an aggressive attack, which is hard or unwise to do on a long ride.
      More to the point, you'll find that they will help you out by jumping on the front when you get tired.
      [*thick Italian accent]The Peloton, it thinks as one![*end/thick Italian accent]
      Quote Originally Posted by TheHamofMam View Post
      That looks like something from their Prep Boy f@ggot collection.
      Quote Originally Posted by smarm View Post
      Can you give me a heads up when that hits the market.

11. 09-07-2008 07:55 AM #8736
      Quote, originally posted by mdt »
      After a while you'll probably stop trying to ditch the person hanging on behind. For a start, it's near impossible unless:
      a) they are much slower than you;
      b) you're climbing a hill;
      c) you make an aggressive attack, which is hard or unwise to do on a long ride.
      More to the point, you'll find that they will help you out by jumping on the front when you get tired.
      [*thick Italian accent]The Peloton, it thinks as one![*end/thick Italian accent]

I don't mind so much those who are happy to jump on and take the lead, it is the ones that are happy to sit back and ride my wheel while I drag them along that give me the irits.
      Look, I have a long, long way to go... for every good thing I do / learn, there seems to be about 10 things I realise I am doing wrong.
      Every week I seem to be getting faster, stronger more endurance.. etc, so I am pretty happy with the whole thing.

Vehicles
      Neunelfer, Neun acht und zwanzig, und die grosser 5er Diesel Tourenwagen
      09-07-2008 06:36 PM #8737
      Hey Dan, half the fun is the pain and sense of accomplishment as you improve and have those great rides where you know you went faster and further. The good weather is coming...
      An old quote on cycling goes something like; You get faster but it still hurts the same...
      Quote Originally Posted by WAY View Post
      I am planning to keep this for awhile. I am deadly serious too.

13. 09-07-2008 07:11 PM #8738
      mike? one for the collection?

14. 09-07-2008 07:31 PM #8739
      [QUOTE=monkeysrus]
      Monkey finally has the reno under control and finaly fixed the tow kit/bike rack for the car. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      I like the look of the pivot. How much travel? I am after a short travel xc bike. Was thinking a s/c superlight or blur.
      QUOTE]
      Intense EVP 5.5.
      XC? short travel? meh! Go AM, and build it light for XC! If you have the budget, go intense again. They're the goods. You already know this. you do, admit it! [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Modified by Osqar at 12:32 AM 9-8-2008

15. 09-07-2008 07:41 PM #8740
      Hardtail for an xc bike, still the best.
      otherwise, scott spark (number 1 pick for sure) or giant anthem. Both of them are the go.
      With good parts they will under or around 9kg.
      But still the good hardtail is the way to go.

Vehicles
      09-07-2008 07:43 PM #8741
      This doesn't happen too often... 3 Aussies on the podium of a 1.0 race
      13th Vattenfall Cyclassics - ProT, Germany, September 7, 2008

The podium with Marc Renshaw (Crédit Agricole) in second, Robbie McEwen (Silence-Lotto) in first, and Allan Davis (Quick Step) in third.

Modified by KGB at 9:46 AM 9-8-2008

17. 09-07-2008 07:56 PM #8742
      Quote, originally posted by KGB »
      Hey Dan, half the fun is the pain and sense of accomplishment as you improve and have those great rides where you know you went faster and further.

... yeah, that's true, and then after a month of massive improvement and substancial gains in fitness, you get the flu from pushing too hard, then you're F#cked up for a week. Oddly, when you get back on the bike, you still have the muscle strength, and you can blast climbs but due to the flu, you're CV is wrecked, and when you get home saturday morning, you have to sleep for another 4 hours to recover... and then the flu hits hard and you're f#cked up for another 3 weeks with no riding.
      and now my fitness has dropped right off!

bring on the spring!!!

18. 09-07-2008 08:09 PM #8743
      That Breezer is sweet, but I'd rather find a dilapidated frame and do it up slowly. There's no joy in buying something already mint. Well, for me anyway.
      That thing would still be a blast to bomb down fire roads on. Look at that slack geometry.
      Quote Originally Posted by KGB View Post
      China's birthrate currently sits at 12/1000 = 18,000,000 this year, so your Rolex values are safe for now.

Vehicles
      09-07-2008 08:23 PM #8744
      Tip #1. Make sure you get the Flu early in Winter!

20. 09-07-2008 09:01 PM #8745
      Quote, originally posted by KGB »
      Tip #1. Make sure you get the Flu early in Winter!

easy to say, hard to do.
      meh, what can ya do!
      bring on spring!

21. 09-07-2008 09:03 PM #8746
      Quote, originally posted by TheHamofMam »
      That thing would still be a blast to bomb down fire roads on. Look at that slack geometry.

cr@p! it would loose like Pam Anderson! it would sloppier than madonna! it would be all over the shop like the Pope in an orphanage.
      it would be,.. oh you get the you get the idea....
      PS: you realise I still have your Beastie boys DVD? I'll get it back to you one day... [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Modified by Osqar at 2:22 AM 9-8-2008

Vehicles
      Skoda RS TDI
      09-07-2008 09:24 PM #8747
      Quote, originally posted by Osqar »
      Intense EVP 5.5.
      XC? short travel? meh! Go AM, and build it light for XC! If you have the budget, go intense again. They're the goods. You already know this. you do, admit it! [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Modified by Osqar at 12:32 AM 9-8-2008

I like the look of the superlight. Nice simple single pivot that could be built up nice and light. (Frame & shock is 2.3kg) The Titus Moto Lite looks nice too. It will be a couple of months before I buy. I seem to have a waterfall of outgoing cash at the moment and need to stem the flow first.

23. 09-07-2008 09:29 PM #8748
      I think the santa cruz looks cool, but it has to be a bit outdated by now.
      Take a scott spark for a test ride, I rode the full blown one around for a bit, not even off road but across some grass and dirt paths etc, it was from a guy who is the same height as me.
      incredible bike, light as and very good steering.
      you really need to test one out, it will change the way you think about xc bikes.

24. 09-07-2008 09:53 PM #8749

Aaron's got a point...the SC is old,.. but then again, it's a damn good design. it's like the single pivot jobbies from Orange. Old but ace!
      ummm,.. dunno is this is your thing, but a friend of mine has a p0rno sweet Felt RXC bike. the hardtail frame is fantastic, and it rides like a dream.
      have a peep:
      http://www.feltbicycles.com/mtb-rxc-index.php

Vehicles
      Skoda RS TDI
      09-07-2008 11:39 PM #8750

I am anti scott bikes, not sure why really - was just born that way.
      I am after 100mm travel in as light as possible frame.
      The Santa Cruz Superlight is a great, lightweight, fast-handling, bump-eating cross-country frame. 'Nuff said. Weighing in at a few ounces over five pounds, with 100mm of travel, and proven cross-country race geometry, there is plenty to recommend this frame. But it always gets compared to others. To bikes with more sophisticated rear suspension linkages and to its brother, the Santa Cruz Blur XC.
      Yes, reference points are good things, but often they serve as a disservice. The single-pivot design and frame geometry aren't new (something you'll hear over and over), but it's a successful, proven design that rides well, both on its own and in comparison to other bikes. As if just because the design is highly evolved, it should be discarded in favor of newer designs.
      With an aggressive geometry, a short head tube, long seat tube and moderate bottom bracket height, the Superlight is designed to be a balance of stability and mobility, ride well at low speeds and high, feel agile going up the mountain and stable going down. In other words, it's a great XC ride.
      When people compare the Blur to the Superlight it's often because of the differences in suspension design. The Virtual Pivot Point of the Blur is sophisticated, but the single pivot swingarm of the Superlight is refreshingly simple. The bikes come in at the same weight, have nearly identical geometry and come in largely the same colors. Both have ISO brake mounts and a replaceable derailleur hanger. Both have the Santa Cruz bent top tube to achieve lighter weights and good standover clearance.
      But the simplicity of the Superlight has many benefits. Many would say that cost is the first one. A single pivot frame is far easier to produce -- less tooling, less machining, less assembly, etc. As such, the savings get passed on to the customer. Easier has other benefits. Fewer parts to put together and maintain, and fewer parts to break. Arguably, with more welds and fewer pivots, single-pivots can be torsionally stiffer as well.
      Single pivots are back. People who have been around since the early days of rear suspension might be a bit surprised, but advancements in pivot placement and axle-path have refined the design. Paired with the latest-generation of rear shocks, the result is nothing short of amazing. Things like unwanted bobbing, a drawback of early designs, is no longer a worry. The reliable, lightweight Fox Float R damper is standard for the Superlight. Or, but for a $92 upcharge, the incredible Fox Float RP23 with ProPedal can be yours. Each provides 100mm of travel in the rear. The front end of the frame is designed to work with forks that have 100-125mm of travel, making it a great option for both XC and Marathon/endurance riding.
      The Santa Cruz Superlight frame is crafted from shaped 6069 aluminum tubing. The main triangle is largely round, but the swingarm tubes have more of a squared shape. Round allows for great all-around stiffness, while the squared shapes allow for better tire and frame tube clearance. The bent top tube, while seen at first as an odd design, it's actually an elegant solution to a problem. If the tube sloped at a constant angle, it would need to be higher for the pivots to work. Even if it were possible to keep the slope constant at the angle it exits the head tube, the resulting bike would be heavier because seat post tubes are heavier than seat tubes. The swingarm pivot is 15mm in diameter, adding both durability and lateral stiffness.
      The Santa Cruz Superlight is available either powder-coated in Black, Lime, Liquid Blue, Red, White, or Yellow, or anodized in Blue or Slate (for an upcharge of $150). It requires a 30.9 seatpost and a 34.9mm top swing front derailleur. The max rotor size is 160mm. There are braze-ons for an under the down tube water bottle cage. The weight, with Float RP23 shock, is 5.2lbs (2.363kg) according to Santa Cruz. The frame has a two year warranty against manufacturing defects, while the bearings are guaranteed for life.

Page 350 of 950 FirstFirst ... 250300340346347348349350351352353354360400450850 ... LastLast