Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 554 of 677 FirstFirst ... 54454504544550551552553554555556557558564604654 ... LastLast
    Results 19,356 to 19,390 of 23687

Thread: O/T Road Cyclists and Mountain Bikers (Merged thread)

1. 03-02-2012 10:53 PM #19356
      Quote Originally Posted by TheHamofMam View Post
      Any opinions on the brand, Focus?
      I really like the look of the Izalco Pro...

From what I have heard/read, pretty good german brand, used to sponsor pro teams, was previously unavailable in Australia but now have local dist.

If you can get it for a good price, do it. Wiggle sell them as well, so check local prices against them first.

2. 03-02-2012 11:48 PM #19357
      I notice wiggle actually have Australian service outlets now, too. So warranty is less of an issue.

Wheels and forks ordered.

Vehicles
      BMW/Ford/Colnago/Blackhawk/DMR
      03-03-2012 06:41 AM #19358
      Quote Originally Posted by Osqar View Post
      great photos! I bet you're chuffed that it's going to a US trade show!! providing it is baby clothed the whole way, that's so awesome!

what size front chain ring? and whats the rear? the rear looks tiny?

and.... sheesh, you'd be peeved if you scratched it!!
      I'm pretty sure its a 49x14 - 91.8" roll out. Thats medium for indoor, quite large for outdoor. If it was scratched, they'd fix it up for me. I kinda wish it didnt say "T.Knight" on it... I didn't ask for that.

Quote Originally Posted by CiaranGTI View Post
      any chance of desktop wallpaper sized pics? Beautiful bike Todd, I'd be too scared to ride it in case I binned it.

But still, it needs to be said, DO A FKN SKID.
      Thats life. I've binned my roadie a few times now. Pick yourself and dust yourself off. This sucker is insured for $16,000... all my bikes are insured now. Life's too short to worry about crashing.

Wallpaper sizes... knock yourself out here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/baumcycles/6943367861/

Any opinions on the brand, Focus?
      I really like the look of the Izalco Pro...

Get on a Focus... good option. When they were involved with pro tour, you could get a Izalco with Lightweights and SRAM Red for $7000 AUD. BARGAIN. A Friend of mine races Focus for 02 network in Melbourne (A high end club racing team) and he thinks they are pretty decent!
      Last edited by TMK-001; 03-03-2012 at 06:44 AM.

Vehicles
      03-03-2012 06:43 AM #19359
      WARNING>>>> THIS MAY CAUSE MIKE TO SPUNK ALL OVER THE PLACE!

http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showthr...36#post8276136

5. 03-03-2012 06:53 AM #19360
      Good lord! I nearly inherited for a small fee a spin rear wheel. Impressive bike. But I like your trackie much, much more, Todd. Seeing that makes me want to start saving pennies for my roadie in a couple of bikes time. Especially the finish.

6. 03-03-2012 08:06 AM #19361
      Quote Originally Posted by TMK-001 View Post
      WARNING>>>> THIS MAY CAUSE MIKE TO SPUNK ALL OVER THE PLACE!

http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showthr...36#post8276136
      I'm more interested in the Kooka stem and Controltech handlebar.
      The Xizang running the M952 XTR is the real standout in that thread too.

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      03-03-2012 08:27 PM #19362
      Might as well go full wank and get a Baum.
      Last edited by J-Tim; 03-04-2012 at 12:56 AM.
      The gloves are off, the wisdom teeth are out
      What you on about ?

8. 03-03-2012 09:06 PM #19363
      There are other custom bicycle builders I'd go to before Baum. For MTBs, I'd be hitting up DeKerf, Spooky, Independant Fab, Peacock or BlackSheep. As much as I'd like to support the locals, my recent experiences with them has been less than ideal.

Vehicles
      03-04-2012 02:50 AM #19364
      From the floor at NAHBS...

As for Baum... we have had our ups and downs. Its good to deal with Darren like i have with my track bike. We didnt get "Best Track Bike" at the show - beaten by a relatively unknown Rebolledo Cycles track bike. You can see a picture here of the relatively traditional constructed steel bike. While not as bold as mine, certainly as a high degree of style and craftmenship.

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      03-04-2012 03:07 AM #19365
      Does anyone here have Linskey Cooper ? US prices seem to be pretty good.
      The gloves are off, the wisdom teeth are out
      What you on about ?

11. Member
      03-04-2012 07:04 AM #19366
      Going to put out the call here for anyone that wants to join a team of four for the Mont 24hr on the 24th and 25th of March.. http://www.mont24.com.au/

I've got a team of four and one has had to pull out with some ongoing medical problems and can't commit to the race weekend.

We are not racing for sheep stations, just keen to do a few laps, have some food and beers and enjoy the atmosphere.. Will probably all get a few hrs sleep during the night and resume in the morning. No pressure to ride thru the night (unless you want to, in which case, go nuts).

Cost is $200 all in and covers race fees, insurance (refund for MTBA members), camp site and $25 contribution to some food for dinner and breakfast. I'll be bringing the WeberQ so some decent food can be had.

If you're keen, drop me a PM.

-Dylan
      Last edited by dkr; 03-04-2012 at 07:06 AM.

12. 03-04-2012 07:27 AM #19367
      Racing for sheep stations...

Our team has for 4 man teams entered, so I am hooked up. I will put out a call, though, just in case anyone else missed out.

I reckon 75% chance it will be wet.

Vehicles
      03-04-2012 07:09 PM #19368
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      Does anyone here have Linskey Cooper ? US prices seem to be pretty good.
      Linskey... They started Litespeed I think back int he day and were very highly regarded. From my knowledge, there are a lot of Lynskeys and Litespeeds at Baum to be repaired as there is no service aftersales in Australia - so Baum do a fair few repairs to frames.

14. 03-05-2012 05:16 PM #19369
      From the floor at NAHBS...

sweet photos Toddy and your bike way cooler than that steel clunker! sheesh! rigged worse than russian elections!!

15. 03-05-2012 05:17 PM #19370
      Quote Originally Posted by dkr View Post
      Going to put out the call here for anyone that wants to join a team of four for the Mont 24hr on the 24th and 25th of March.. http://www.mont24.com.au/

-Dylan

Phhhharrrrrq! harcore! go you Dylan!! too hardcore for me! I start to cry at anything over 100km..

16. 03-05-2012 05:32 PM #19371
      Linskey... They started Litespeed I think back int he day and were very highly regarded. From my knowledge, there are a lot of Lynskeys and Litespeeds at Baum to be repaired as there is no service aftersales in Australia - so Baum do a fair few repairs to frames.
      yeah, lynskey are still the schiz! ultra gucci, and extremely well made frames. There is an absolutely gorgeous roadie called the Helix OS,... google it. stunning. Lynskey also build a sh1t hot SRAM clad HT 29er MTB race bike. drool. have peep at the link below. It would really hurt to ride longer distances, but as a pure race machine, its geo and spec simply scream out "gun!"

http://www.lynskeyperformance.com/st...r-sram-xo.html

Also... someone was asking about Focus? really nice frames, really good value german brand. They sponsored Katusha for a while, so they're no small fry. They get top wraps in all the credible mags that I browse online.

Monkey will chuckle that this, (as I used to email the hell out of him and my friend Will with questions before I bought my Trek Remedy), but I'm a bandit for Bike Radar. love that site. anyway,...check the link below. it's the Focus Izalco.
      http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...team-2-0-45642

Another sweet german brand that's avaliable from places like Wiggle and Chain Reaction is Cube. If you google the major Uk MTB bike mags and have a read, they all give Cube big wraps.

check out the cube double bouncer 29 below:
      http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...ms-29-12-45970

actaully,.. having just read that review again, have a peep at all the cube review in the Bike Radar search page below. interesting stuff.
      http://www.bikeradar.com/search/?sea...m=cube&x=0&y=0

plus... like Focus, all the Cube bikes looks great and have a really clean style to them. me likey!

17. 03-05-2012 05:38 PM #19372
      I'm pretty sure its a 49x14 - 91.8" roll out. Thats medium for indoor, quite large for outdoor. If it was scratched, they'd fix it up for me. I kinda wish it didnt say "T.Knight" on it... I didn't ask for that.

Thats life. I've binned my roadie a few times now. Pick yourself and dust yourself off. This sucker is insured for $16,000... all my bikes are insured now. Life's too short to worry about crashing.

Wallpaper sizes... knock yourself out here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/baumcycles/6943367861/

chain rings? cool, cool.

binned a bike and insurance? yup. me agree. Bikes are to be used and enjoyed. I get very upset if I damage a bike by being stupid, but if it's through normal wear and tear, I'm perfectly happy with that..
      Last edited by Osqar; 03-08-2012 at 06:54 AM.

18. 03-05-2012 09:38 PM #19373
      hi all,...

my friend Will is selling his DH bike. It's german. It's not pretty. It's all function over form. It's mega. It's awesome. It eats babies.

Click below. It's a 2006 Nicolai with all the right bits. He rarely rides it, and for a 2006 bike, it's mint except for very light wear and tear. It cost him somewhere north of $5k or $6k to build.

Will brought the bike to Thredbo with us in January (along with his brand new Ibis Mojo, and the Nicolai completely ripped up the Thredbo worldcup DH track.

if you are keen, or know anyone that is keen... see link below.

http://www.bikesmoveus.com.au/showthread.php?t=5398

19. Member
      03-06-2012 03:10 AM #19374

I've got a team of four and one has had to pull out with some ongoing medical problems and can't commit to the race weekend.

We are not racing for sheep stations, just keen to do a few laps, have some food and beers and enjoy the atmosphere.. Will probably all get a few hrs sleep during the night and resume in the morning. No pressure to ride thru the night (unless you want to, in which case, go nuts).

Cost is $200 all in and covers race fees, insurance (refund for MTBA members), camp site and $25 contribution to some food for dinner and breakfast. I'll be bringing the WeberQ so some decent food can be had.

If you're keen, drop me a PM.

-Dylan
      Bump. I need 2 people now..

Monkey, Osqar... I'm looking at you..

Vehicles
      Skoda RS TDI
      03-06-2012 06:59 AM #19375
      If I could I would. My arm is still no good, have not ridden for 7 weeks!

21. 03-06-2012 06:35 PM #19376
      Bump. I need 2 people now..

Monkey, Osqar... I'm looking at you..
      Sorry Dylan,... I can't do it. I strongly doubt I would have the legs by then, and I really wouldn't enjoy it, I am certain I'd call the whambulance!

Stepping away from that,... my GF and I are getting noticeably stronger by the week; and we're really excited for the Convict 100 with Monkey & Tank Engine in early May. Game on!

The down side is that after the wet summer, I think Autumn has looked out from its nice warm doona and said, "nah, stuff it!", and now we're rolling into winter already. Although not raining, it's grey and windy outside and just crept above 8 degrees outside (it's about 930am). Yuk! I am not ready for winter yet!!! I haven't grown my furry winter pelt!! I keep telling myself to getside and pretend I'm in Belgium with Phil Anderson and Greg Lemond when they were neighbours and trained all through the 1980's winters.

Phucq it!!! I'll procrastinate some more, and just swap out the tyres on both our roadies, replace my slightly knicked and worn Michie Pro Race 3's for a pair of Michie Krylion Carbons. Much tougher tyres, and only marginally less grip. that will take up at least an hour! maybe it will be above 11 degrees by then!
      Last edited by Osqar; 03-06-2012 at 06:40 PM.

22. 03-08-2012 06:37 AM #19377
      pharqin cold ride today. was folding washing and doing some cooking during the morning, (what else do you do when you're unemployed??- learn House B1tch 101!)... Anyway, it was useful to have something to do, as it was sh1te outside. However by 1pm the roads were dry and it had crept up to 10 degrees. time for the winter kit!!! and then halfway though an otherwise tops ride, there was a rain storm that somehow missed me, but soaked all the roads on the way home. by the time I got home, my bike wwas filthy, my kit was filthy, and I was cold & wet, and NOT HAPPY JAN!!!!

got the fire on now, and GF has cracked a nice bottle of shiraz. all is well!

23. Member
      03-09-2012 01:44 AM #19379
      Quite the bargain too...

24. 03-09-2012 05:17 AM #19380
      There is a rumour getting around that the Mont might get postponed if we get much more rain between now and then. Long term forecast is crap.

25. Member
      03-09-2012 07:26 AM #19381
      Capital Punishment has already been pushed off until April sometime...

Might work out even better for me if it's early-mid April, as I'll get one team member back..

26. Member
      03-09-2012 07:30 AM #19382
      Quote Originally Posted by Osqar View Post
      Phhhharrrrrq! harcore! go you Dylan!! too hardcore for me! I start to cry at anything over 100km..
      You do know it's not just you riding for 24hrs straight don't you???

It's a relay race, so 1 rider does one lap, then the next does a lap and so on... Last time I was in a team of 6 and got in 4 laps ~80kms. Expect to do maybe 100-120km over the 24hrs in a team of 4 this year. Plus we're not racing thru the night...

27. 03-09-2012 08:46 PM #19383
      Really? 100-120 without night riding? I reckon it will probably be a bit under 100. I only managed 100 at the Scott last year and we raced the full 24hrs. I did 8 laps. I imagine Mont course cill be a little faster, but I am expecting maybe 6-7 laps of about 20kms each going all night.

Out of interest, why no all nighters?

28. Member
      03-09-2012 09:22 PM #19384
      Actually, it will be under 100km. The lap is only 16kms and takes about 1:15ish at 13km/h

Why no riding thru the night? Because I don't have to.

The Mont is a participation event for everyone, not just tosser XC riders screaming "TRACK!!" or "RACE LEADER COMING THRU!!!"

FYI, I force anyone who says that sh!t off line and into an oncoming tree...
      Last edited by dkr; 03-09-2012 at 09:25 PM.

29. 03-10-2012 01:12 AM #19385
      So you only respect people who participate at your speed? OK.

Were all XC tossers. Its just that some will be faster than others. FWIW, I never scream anything, let alone anything about sheep stations or race leaders. I just wait til an op comes up and go with a call to make riders aware I am coming through. I only had to push past one woman in the Scott who wouldn't budge in spite of several overtaking ops. And, if you can't ride off line to overtake, you shouldn't call track at all. Its expected.

I like coming up on slower traffic, though. Gives me a chance to drop the HR for a bit.

30. 03-10-2012 02:07 AM #19386
      You do know it's not just you riding for 24hrs straight don't you???

It's a relay race, so 1 rider does one lap, then the next does a lap and so on... Last time I was in a team of 6 and got in 4 laps ~80kms. Expect to do maybe 100-120km over the 24hrs in a team of 4 this year. Plus we're not racing thru the night...
      hahahah! yes, I know it's a relay... but honestly, i don't think I'll have the mojo you need by the due date. however the mojo is building! I'm really aiming for May 5th, and the Convict. that's our goal. Besides, there's alway the other enduro events in spring. =)

31. 03-10-2012 02:10 AM #19387

The Mont is a participation event for everyone, not just tosser XC riders screaming "TRACK!!" or "RACE LEADER COMING THRU!!!"

FYI, I force anyone who says that sh!t off line and into an oncoming tree...
      hahahah! oooh, nasty! I definitely think that the overtaking vehicle should keep clear, same as with cars and boats. However at the same time, the slow vehicle should completely yeild where possible, espcially if requested by the faster vehicle from behind.

but having said that, if someone is a F##kwad, and screams something like "ON RIGHT", or "TRACK", right in my ear, I consider that really rude. I dunno about ramming them into a tree, but I would hope they get saddle sores the next day!

32. 03-11-2012 05:09 AM #19388
      Picked up my Spank VOMax evo wheels with Chris king hubs and DT Swiss Competition spokes.
      On the scales they come in just under 1700gms. Very happy with this.
      Also bought this for the Zaskar project...

old school crossmax ceramics

33. Member
      03-11-2012 05:24 AM #19389
      Did you end up buying that other thing on ebay for parts???

34. 03-11-2012 06:21 AM #19390
      On the scales they come in just under 1700gms. Very happy with this.
      Is that with discs on?

Man, I am glad I weigh a paltry 65kegs.

My TWE built 29er wheels with Stans Crest and DT Swiss Comps will weigh around 1 500gms.

Page 554 of 677 FirstFirst ... 54454504544550551552553554555556557558564604654 ... LastLast