Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: How to change a VR6 valve cover gasket.

1. 02-18-2006 02:33 PM #1
      Have a 96 VR PASSAT. What''s involved in changing out the valve cover gasket? What parts do I need to buy? Anyone have pics of this job? How long should it take? I know, I need a Bentley!
      Thanks to the GURUS!

2. 02-18-2006 03:15 PM #2
      The big question is- does it have an EGR valve? I'm guessing no since it's a 96 but it makes a big difference. It will take you several hours if it has EGR.

1) valve cover gasket, late style (plastic valve cover, engine number above the break)
      1) mid-manifold gasket for intake
      1) metal spark plug wire tool

General procedure:
      Disconnect plastic intake tubing from the throttle body and MAF sensor, try not to further damage the fragile vent tubing that goes to the valve cover.
      Remove spark plug wires from plugs and lay them over the transmission side.
      Remove the plastic engine covers.
      Disconnect the throttle cable. Look all around the upper intake and disconnect all electrical plugs, vacuum lines, etc from it.
      Disconnect the fuel lines from the black brackets. Look closely at them, there is a tab on the plastic that you can bend out a little to release the snap, and they will slide upward and off of the brackets.
      See if you have EGR. In this pic it is the silver round thing about 1:00 from the oil cap, with a vacuum line on top. http://i5.photobucket.com/albu...1.jpg If you have it, curse loudly. The EGR has to be disconnected from the valve cover and the manifold. I wrote a procedure on this that was added to the timing chain DIY. It is about 2/3 way down this page, which is loaded with pics. http://forums.vwvortex.com/zer...age=1
      Locate all the bolts holding the upper manifold. there are 7 (?) in front, one on a bracket near the oil cap, and one near the throttle body. Remove the bolts and try to remove the manifold. You may have to loosen the bracket at the rear. You also may have to loosen or remove the bolt that holds the dipstick in place.
      Now you should be able to unbolt and remove the valve cover.

Modified by A2B4guy at 3:19 PM 2-18-2006

Vehicles
      '96 Fiat Puntamera diesel
      02-18-2006 08:02 PM #3
      Just to add:

Tighten valve cover to 10 Nm (7.5 ft.lb. or 87 in. lb.);
      intake manni 25 Nm (18 ft lb).

4. 02-21-2006 06:41 PM #4
      Thanks for the fantastic tutorial. WOW, never knew the timing chain was on the tranny side! This is my first VR6!

Dave