Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Cracked windshield in California, Covered by insurance?

1. 02-20-2006 11:59 AM #1
      A friend tells me that a cracked windshield in California is repleaced by insurance for no charge and no deductible. Anyone know if this statement is true?

2. 02-20-2006 12:02 PM #2
      Well, on the whole.... no, that's a complete lie.

However, some insurance companies will do this for you. Some will charge a deductable, some will not. My insurance, for example, charges a $50 deductable to have it replaced, and my parents get it for $25. Many windshield repair places will *"help you out" with the deductable.

*Technically this is considered (a very minor case of) insurance fraud and as such is illegal and is not condoned or endorsed.

A few times I've heard of people who were following a truck and a rock came out of their truck and hit someones windshield. The person wrote down the company name, called them up and said the time and place of the occurance and managed to get their insurance to pay for it (as they damn well should). Some companies will tell you to f*** off; in that case you either have to go through lengthy proceedings with the D/A, local PD, or your insurance company at which point it's kinda hopeless. Your best bet then is to spread tons of *libel and say the company is a bunch if filthy bastards (which they are) because it's too much effort to go through for a $350 windshield...

*Libel is illegal. Nobody should break the law.

Modified by rocketPack at 8:05 AM 2-20-2006

3. 02-20-2006 12:04 PM #3
      for my car insurance, i pay a little bit more each year and they will cover any broken windshields at no cost to me.

Vehicles
      RIP Built MK3 VR6 Turbo, B8 A4, B5 S4, 08 R8
      02-20-2006 12:59 PM #4
      Depend on you insurance coverage.