Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 95 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Mkippen schimmel vr6 turbo gt35R custom bliss

1. 03-15-2006 02:09 PM #101
      To me it kinda depends on how big the turbo is. I never even hit boost on a 45mph driving in moderate traffic, so I don't feel its necessary to wait that long to cool down the turbo. On a car with a smaller turbo, you might actually see boost under most normal driving conditions, so I could see it being more necessary.

Vehicles
      MK6 GTI Autobahn & 2013 Tiguan SEL 4-motion (Past: MK4 Golf TDI, MK3 Surf Green GTI 2.0T, Corrado VR
      03-15-2006 02:18 PM #102
      Quote, originally posted by crazy_paintjob »
      a turbo timer and an oil cooler have nothing to do with eachother...yes it helps keep the oil cool but the point of a turbo timer is to keep oil flowing through the turbo while the bearings cool down...you don't really "need" a timer if you want to sit in you car for a minute every time you go somewhere...but from experience i would recomend using one because that minute gets longer everytime you do it.

Last time I checked, I don't hit full boost when I am parking.

PS: Your wrong.

Vehicles
      2010 CC
      03-15-2006 02:42 PM #103
      Quote, originally posted by veedub11 »
      Last time I checked, I don't hit full boost when I am parking.
      PS: Your wrong.

i see what you are saying... for the fact that your driving from going full boost to the time that you park will be long enough to cool the turbo down.... i think that 90% of the time this would be true. I could see a lot of situations where you could essentially go from a full boost situation down a straight, and going directly into a parking lot and park. in this case, and with a big turbo, and the very cold weather that a lot of us live in.... a turbo timer would be very useful.
      both are arguments, but i believe greddy and alike made this product for a reason, and its a cheap safeguard that can save you a lot of money in the future.

Vehicles
      MK6 GTI Autobahn & 2013 Tiguan SEL 4-motion (Past: MK4 Golf TDI, MK3 Surf Green GTI 2.0T, Corrado VR
      03-15-2006 03:16 PM #104
      Quote, originally posted by theflygtiguy »
      i see what you are saying... for the fact that your driving from going full boost to the time that you park will be long enough to cool the turbo down.... i think that 90% of the time this would be true. I could see a lot of situations where you could essentially go from a full boost situation down a straight, and going directly into a parking lot and park. in this case, and with a big turbo, and the very cold weather that a lot of us live in.... a turbo timer would be very useful.
      both are arguments, but i believe greddy and alike made this product for a reason, and its a cheap safeguard that can save you a lot of money in the future.

But you should still stay with your car until the timer ends. Would you walk away from your running car depending on some POS turbo timer to turn it off. I also know that TTs F with alarms.

Vehicles
      2010 CC
      03-15-2006 03:31 PM #105
      Quote, originally posted by veedub11 »
      But you should still stay with your car until the timer ends. Would you walk away from your running car depending on some POS turbo timer to turn it off. I also know that TTs F with alarms.

Well, i would definitely not leave my car running, and i'm not sure i'm going to run a turbo timer yet.... but i'm saying that for the fact of that guy that had his downpipe crack on the welds, it might have been a factor of having it cool down too quickly over an amount of time.

6. 03-15-2006 04:06 PM #106
      Sorry to take this awesome thread so OT.....my bad.
      Fatfree,you have been a long time member on this board,and I respect your opinion,but I felt I had to correct that misinformation,and wasn't trying to have a dispute.
      Have fun,VR turbos rock.

7. Former Advertiser
      03-15-2006 04:17 PM #107
      Quote, originally posted by leebro61 »
      I would be more concern with that ugly weld on the compressor housing, not for performance reasons, just because it looks like arse

Welded by Keith Laforte from turbotrix, they have a couple of 9sec dsm's...
      holds way more than 30psi, trust me [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

8. 03-15-2006 04:42 PM #108
      Quote, originally posted by BoostFactory »
      holds way more than 30psi, trust me [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Like I said, 'not for performance reasons'
      Not that welding ability and fast cars go hand in hand, just that the rest of his car seems fairly appearance and performance oriented, so why not have both?

Vehicles
      2000 Stage 3+ Audi S4, 1998 24v 3.1L Syncro'd GTi w/ 6speed quaife add-on, 1988 Quantum Syncro Wagon
      03-16-2006 01:11 AM #109
      Quote, originally posted by VWAUDITECH »
      Sorry to take this awesome thread so OT.....my bad.
      Fatfree,you have been a long time member on this board,and I respect your opinion,but I felt I had to correct that misinformation,and wasn't trying to have a dispute.
      Have fun,VR turbos rock.

its all good. I wasnt saying that the downpipes crack. I was just saying, instad of welding it and TKAING THE RISK THAT I MIGHT, he should figure out a new way to secure it thats all. I was thinking manifold more then downpipe...but i didnt really elaborate on that!
      My 24v 3.1L Syncro Mk3 build here

Vehicles
      2015 Golf Sportwagen TSI M/T 2012 VW Gti 2 dr Autobahn M/T
      03-16-2006 10:33 PM #110
      More parts are on the way Mike [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      2010 CC
      03-16-2006 11:25 PM #111
      Quote, originally posted by MKII16v »
      More parts are on the way Mike [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Thanks Homey.... let me know exact amount, and i'll paypal you right away! [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

12. Banned
      03-17-2006 03:49 PM #112
      Quote, originally posted by theflygtiguy »
      Well, i would definitely not leave my car running, and i'm not sure i'm going to run a turbo timer yet.... but i'm saying that for the fact of that guy that had his downpipe crack on the welds, it might have been a factor of having it cool down too quickly over an amount of time.

How much higher is the EGT when under boost compared to not under boost? If you guys don't have those numbers for your cars, this whole turbo timer discussion is moot in my opinion.
      Whether or not you are under boost isn't really the issue. It is the EGT. The heat comes from the exhaust and that is what cooks the oil. Do a test with a handheld laser thermometer and measure the temperature of the oil feed line fitting right after driving hard and then again after idling the car for a minute. I did that and in my case there wasn't a big change.
      I think a more useful addition would be a aux oil pump + heat exchanger + secondary oil reservoir just for the turbo... but thats a lot of parts and added weight.
      Also, a single piece of metal (mandrel bent or whatever) is always going to be more reliable than a welded piece, but in most applications it doesn't matter.
      edit: whoops I replied to page 3. I see the discussion has moved on already...

Modified by phatvw at 12:52 PM 3-17-2006

Vehicles
      2000 Stage 3+ Audi S4, 1998 24v 3.1L Syncro'd GTi w/ 6speed quaife add-on, 1988 Quantum Syncro Wagon
      03-18-2006 08:17 PM #113
      when my manifold cracked, i had misfire problems and the EGT's got ungodly high which are about 1900degrees. thats why good tuning is so important(stand alone is the best option)

Vehicles
      2010 CC
      03-23-2006 07:09 PM #114
      Update coming soon guys.... BIG stuff.
      034 efi should be arriving next week
      we decided to go with 650 injectorts for the build.
      Oil cooler parts have arrived
      304 stainless piping for the intercooler have arrived
      new BBK throttle body for the custom intake is here
      also got a bunch of new AN fittings, and some misc stuff.
      we should have the intake manifold finished this week... along with the dp and exhaust will also be done. the intercooler is moutned, and we have the radiator mounted too. I have had lots of questions surrounding how that worked out, so i will have plenty of detailed photos for you guys.
      still need to pick up... if you have it for sale, please IM me.
      autometer silver faced oil press guage (with electric sender)
      Wideband with standard sized guage - 20squared might be my hookup for this one
      [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] to Matt for all the help
      Sparco Black Suede steering wheel
      Chrome shift knob... just looking for something with a good weight, and that is clean
      look for updates soon [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

15. Banned
      03-23-2006 07:22 PM #115
      I am curious how you are going to mount the oil cooler along with the intercooler. Does you VR6 have the aux radiator on the passenger side like the MkIV's? I have to come check out your car! I am thinking of getting an oil cooler for my setup so I can run hard on the track and not worry about temps...

16. 03-23-2006 08:16 PM #116
      Quote, originally posted by BoostFactory »

chalk another one up for Bean and the crew....... good guys

03-27-2006 01:12 PM #117
      lookin good my friend... I wanna see detailed pics on fitting the intercooler!

18. 03-27-2006 02:03 PM #118
      Fantastic! Keep up the good work.......

Vehicles
      03-27-2006 02:26 PM #119
      I have a wideband that I enver used because I went with stand alone instead(no point in both). Its been used on a friends car for 1 week(to help him tune) and thats it. I forget who makes it, but its a really nice unit! let me know.
      EDIT: I remember is a Zentronics

Modified by fatfreevw at 8:15 AM 3-28-2006

Vehicles
      2010 CC
      03-28-2006 01:08 AM #120
      Rob made some good headway on the fabrication today...
      finished up the downpipe, exhaust and etc... all v-bands and all done and ready to go.
      Since i will be running a BBK throttle body with the 034 standalone, Rob got an adaptor Machined to bolt the throttle body to, which is what you see below. Rob also had the intake manifold parts machined perfectly to size....
      The Newly machined Throttle body adapter plate.

Intake manifold is cut to fit the shape of the 3 inch tube
      the tube was also machined to fit the manifold exactly.

rough fitment from the front

fit ment from on top

inside the intake

got the old adapter cut off

downpipe all cleaned and finished up

exhaust mid section

it colored up nicely from the few days i drove it

the finish on the mid section

i should have more photos coming soon
      Rob should be finishing up more of the intake manifold in the next few days, he is doing such an awesome job... he is really the best i know at this stuff [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      apart from that, just waiting for the 034 and the rest of the goodies, and we will continue [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

21. Member
      Vehicles
      '80 Caddy, '09 Rx-8 R3
      03-28-2006 05:30 AM #121
      [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] cuz that's exactly what I did to my manifold

Vehicles
      Purple. RWD. Boosted
      03-28-2006 10:20 PM #122
      lookin ill money.
      PM me with your Garrett Turbo and TiAL needs
      www.wideopentuning.com

03-29-2006 07:09 PM #123
      freckle ownage. harliquin white ownage. pee my pants ownage.
      nice job on the manifold.

24. 03-29-2006 07:17 PM #124
      dope [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      03-30-2006 01:56 PM #125
      the manifold looks good..i like how you showed the pics in steps of it being made...the photography is good too
      Current Family Hauler- 2004 VW Passat 1.8t, 4M, 5-speed
      Previous- 2004 VW .:R32 / Previous- 2000 Audi S4 / Previous- 1995 Jetta gl Vr6

Page 5 of 95 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast