Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: What Does EPC (Electronic Power Control) Light Mean?

1. 03-01-2006 06:08 PM #1
      Does anybody know what does EPC light inside the tachometer mean? Seems like the manual is not very descriptive.

Thx.

Vehicles
      2001 Mojave GTI GLX
      03-01-2006 06:10 PM #2
      it cuts throttle when it detects wheel slippage, basically its traction control, nearly the same thing as ASR, I think. If it is staying lit then there is a problem, have it scanned

Modified by dremhmrk2 at 5:11 PM 3-1-2006
      "Turning right in fifth gear from the left hand lane into the wrong end of a one-way street while indicating left, if at all."
      All the custom, none of the cool.
      "Trying to be the cool kid is so cool." - MkIV Scene

3. 03-01-2006 06:15 PM #3
      Heh funny story, when i first got my car, i decided to show my mom how much faster it is. Floor it out of the driveway, run it to redline shift to 2nd, ESP light comes on, im like oh sheet, keep driving. My mom asks "what as that?" I had to go look it up afterwards to figure out what i did. Then was just figured oops, too much clutch.

Vehicles
      09 GTI
      03-01-2006 06:17 PM #4
      ESP is traction EPC is different, I don't know what it means though

5. 03-01-2006 06:21 PM #5
      i know i have an ESP light...that comes on when wheels slip.

electronic stability protection is supposto help in oversteer/understeer by applying brakes individually...i've noticed this a few times while trying to drift...accidentaly...

6. 03-01-2006 06:33 PM #6
      EPC doesnt have anything to do w/traction...I just had this problem 3 wks ago...The car would start up and drive fine for a while or until I got onto the frwy then just like clock work, everytime I would slow down or exit the frwy the car would die. I would have to turn the key to start the car but it would take like 7sec w/the key turned until it started and the EPC light would come on..After that, the car would run like **** and Im assuming extremly rich cause it would let out the loudest backfires Ive ever heard. I took the car in to get scanned and found out I had a butt load of misfires due to 1)bad MAS 2)bad cam position sensor 3)bad speed sensor 4)coil 1&3 were also bad. I paid around $300 for the parts and did the labor myself cause VW wanted to charge me $600 for labor. Did that this past Sat and car runs great now. I also know EPC could be bad throttle body or throttle pedal sensor.

If the throttle body is dirty and getting stuck, u will also get EPC...first thing recommend to do was clean the TB...I did that first but didnt work for me since it was due to the above problems...at least I have a clean TB now too

Modified by 20vWolf at 4:36 PM 3-1-2006

7. 03-01-2006 06:43 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by 20vWolf »
      EPC doesnt have anything to do w/traction...I just had this problem 3 wks ago...The car would start up and drive fine for a while or until I got onto the frwy then just like clock work, everytime I would slow down or exit the frwy the car would die. I would have to turn the key to start the car but it would take like 7sec w/the key turned until it started and the EPC light would come on..After that, the car would run like **** and Im assuming extremly rich cause it would let out the loudest backfires Ive ever heard. I took the car in to get scanned and found out I had a butt load of misfires due to 1)bad MAS 2)bad cam position sensor 3)bad speed sensor 4)coil 1&3 were also bad. I paid around $300 for the parts and did the labor myself cause VW wanted to charge me $600 for labor. Did that this past Sat and car runs great now. I also know EPC could be bad throttle body or throttle pedal sensor.

If the throttle body is dirty and getting stuck, u will also get EPC...first thing recommend to do was clean the TB...I did that first but didnt work for me since it was due to the above problems...at least I have a clean TB now too

Modified by 20vWolf at 4:36 PM 3-1-2006

that's wierd cause when my EPC light came on, I took it to the dealer to get scanned and the cat was bad, so I got a new one under warranty and never had a problem since....knock on wood

then again I own a VR6, maybe different than 1.8T

anyway I hope this helps

8. 03-01-2006 07:14 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by jim628 »
      Does anybody know what does EPC light inside the tachometer mean? Seems like the manual is not very descriptive.

Thx.

In short, it's another "Check Engine" Lamp. It will go on with some sporadic or soft trouble codes and sometimes stay on or go off with the CEL depending on the codes.

Most of the time it's TB, gas pedal, or MAF related.

Vehicles
      QUINTIN@USRT
      03-01-2006 07:16 PM #9
      if you are missing any sensors signals...that light will come on.
      DONT PM THIS ACCOUNT!! I RARELY CHECK IT!

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS/CONCERNS/ISSUESWITHZOMBIES PLEASE IM MY OTHER ACCOUNT BELOW:

Quintin@USRT

10. 03-01-2006 07:53 PM #10
      my epc light came on last week, and i had no power whatsoever(1.8t)

the car would rev up till 2000 and stay there, no matter how much gas i gave.

brought to the dealer and turns out my throttle body was filled with humidity