Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: How much freon does the AC system hold?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '90 Vanagon Carat, '13 JSW TDI
      03-08-2006 02:23 PM #1
      Got the freon leak fixed on my 92 SLC. The VW shop does not have any R-12 so I am taking it to a specialty AC shop in town to have the system recharged. Assuming the system is empty how much freon should I expect to buy? Going for $65 a pound.

2. 03-08-2006 02:28 PM #2
      You should really see how much it costs and whats involved to switch it over to 134-a. At 65 dollars a pound if you have a leak and lose it all agin in a month your SOL. 134-a costs like 1/10th of that.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      03-08-2006 02:33 PM #3
      I had a leak. It is fixed and the shop will double check the system before they refill it. I have had professional conversions done on two vehicles and it blew the compressor after about a month on both. So I am going to stick with what the system was designed for.

4. 03-08-2006 02:38 PM #4
      Quote, originally posted by dart330 »
      I had a leak. It is fixed and the shop will double check the system before they refill it. I have had professional conversions done on two vehicles and it blew the compressor after about a month on both. So I am going to stick with what the system was designed for.

Yep, that's why I want to stay with R-12 as well. I still have a can that they used to sell as the recharge kit but I doubt it's enough.

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado | '62 Harley Panhead
      03-08-2006 02:49 PM #5
      I have run about 10 Conversions in different cars (2 black Corrados and 1 black Scirocco) in the heat of FL in Summertime and have never had a problem. ..and the system blow very cold. If you blew a compressor then:

1.) A compressor blew previously and there was metal in the system
      2.) The System had a fast leak before fixing and lost all/most of the oil
      3.) Someone never put enough oil in it
      4.) Someone overfilled the Refrig (Is only takes a little over two cans iirc off of the top of my head)
      5.) The Thermo Capillary Tube or the High/Low Pressure Switch was bad and the system was freezing up.
      6.) The System was not evacuated properly before charging

There is no reason why the system can not be converted. The proper thing to do is to change all of the o rings and flush the system, but not doing either will not cause the compressor to go.

Shawn

6. Member
      Vehicles
      03-08-2006 03:09 PM #6
      So does anybody know the answer to my question? All I could find in the search is people arguing over which refrigerant to use, looks like this thread is going to end up being the same.

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado | '62 Harley Panhead
      03-08-2006 04:31 PM #7
      You should have a sticker on your rad cover or under your hood that shows, but here it is.

1100 g +- 50g (or 38.8 Oz +- 1.7 oz)

Oil cap = 135cc (4.6 oz)

Hope that helps.

Shawn

8. Member
      Vehicles
      03-08-2006 05:13 PM #8
      Thanks, so about 2.5 pounds which equals $162.50. I don't consider that much for parts on an AC repair.