VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

How much freon does the AC system hold?

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  dart330 
#1 ·
Got the freon leak fixed on my 92 SLC. The VW shop does not have any R-12 so I am taking it to a specialty AC shop in town to have the system recharged. Assuming the system is empty how much freon should I expect to buy? Going for $65 a pound.

#3 ·
Re: How much freon does the AC system hold? (Joe'sGTI337)

I had a leak. It is fixed and the shop will double check the system before they refill it. I have had professional conversions done on two vehicles and it blew the compressor after about a month on both. So I am going to stick with what the system was designed for.

#4 ·
Re: How much freon does the AC system hold? (dart330)

Quote, originally posted by dart330 »
I had a leak. It is fixed and the shop will double check the system before they refill it. I have had professional conversions done on two vehicles and it blew the compressor after about a month on both. So I am going to stick with what the system was designed for.

Yep, that's why I want to stay with R-12 as well. I still have a can that they used to sell as the recharge kit but I doubt it's enough.

#5 ·
Re: How much freon does the AC system hold? (Camp)

I have run about 10 Conversions in different cars (2 black Corrados and 1 black Scirocco) in the heat of FL in Summertime and have never had a problem. ..and the system blow very cold. If you blew a compressor then:
1.) A compressor blew previously and there was metal in the system
2.) The System had a fast leak before fixing and lost all/most of the oil
3.) Someone never put enough oil in it
4.) Someone overfilled the Refrig (Is only takes a little over two cans iirc off of the top of my head)
5.) The Thermo Capillary Tube or the High/Low Pressure Switch was bad and the system was freezing up.
6.) The System was not evacuated properly before charging
There is no reason why the system can not be converted. The proper thing to do is to change all of the o rings and flush the system, but not doing either will not cause the compressor to go.
Shawn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.