Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2002 Jetta cold start problems (Help)

1. 03-19-2006 11:20 AM #1
      My gf has a bone stock jetta with about 30k miles on it and every time it gets cold at night and she goes to start it up in the morning and drive off the car kicks and sputters. Can anyone throw some light on the issue. I did just order her some new NGK spark plugs, but i'm not totally sure that will fix the problem, but can't hurt to try.
      08 IS-F Ultrasonic Blue 11.9@120mph
      02 VW Jetta 1.8t (daily)

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Audi A3 TDI S-Line
      03-19-2006 11:52 AM #2
      mine did that and a throttle body cleaning made it all go away

03-19-2006 01:53 PM #3
      Quote, originally posted by boxster30 »
      mine did that and a throttle body cleaning made it all go away

Correct, a throttle body cleaning and Throttle Body Alignment (TBA) with a VAG-COM does help.

If that doesn't fix the situtation, take a look at the Coolant Temperature Sensor.
      The car can stall out on cold starts since the ECU can't determine the engine temperature for correct fuel mixtures.
      Does the car start / run fine when it's up to running temperature?

- Erik

Pattern Draft Imaging.com - "...Where Engineering Discipline and Photography Merge as One..."

4. 03-20-2006 02:30 PM #4
      Yes, the car runs fine once it is warmed up. Just has problems on cold mornings. What do you guys use to clean out the throttle body? How do you go about cleaning it? Just take off the intake hose and spray it out with some throttle body cleaner?

BTW. What is a VAG-COM?

Modified by caymandiver75 at 7:32 PM 3-20-2006

Modified by caymandiver75 at 7:34 PM 3-20-2006

02 VW Jetta 1.8t (daily)

5. 03-20-2006 02:38 PM #5
      1.8T or 2.0? i had a problem like that with my '01 1.8T i ended up trading it in 2000 dollars in parts and labor later.

6. 03-20-2006 02:42 PM #6
      I have the very same problem right now, going to the dealership to pick up a coolant temp sensor in a few minutes, let you know if that helps. It's only $4.00!

7. 03-20-2006 02:54 PM #7
      Just curious, but lets just say an ignition coil was bad, would the car still run ok when it warms up or just bad when it's cold? I have a feeling the car would be running bad all the time if it was ignition coil.
      02 VW Jetta 1.8t (daily)

8. 03-20-2006 04:18 PM #8
      The car would run really rough if a coil was bad, if it ran at all. I've recently had a problem with a coil popping up while driving, and I had to put a couple of o-rings around it to keep it in. The coolant temp sensor was $11.00, for the green-top one.

9. 03-20-2006 04:59 PM #9
      I've got this same problem and it SUCKS!!! I've already replaced my coils, so I guess I'll be removing my throttle body to clean that out. This is definitely the most frustrating thing about my car.

Vehicles
      2001 VW Jetta VR6, 2006 VW Jetta 2.5
      03-20-2006 05:12 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by caymandiver75 »
      BTW. What is a VAG-COM?

http://www.ross-tech.com/

mujjuman

Vehicles
      I miss my MKIV
      03-20-2006 05:31 PM #11
      My 1.8t does this, but only when its very cold out and I don't let it run for about 45 seconds to warm up. My car when first started and cold is just way louder than normal then after about 30 or 45 seconds it idles normal and is quiet and never has the whole jerky sputtery issue.

Does she let the motor warm up at all. This is the simple fix for the problem atleast in my case. Last summer I did change the coolant sensor because my old one actually died on me. I read a post like this earlier this winter that said something about when the motor is very cold (like at startup) the ecu maps out the fuel paramaters different for like 30 seconds or something, and if you let it sit and idle everything just naturally corrects back to normal when its ready. It sucks sitting in a cold car for 30 seconds just doing nothing, but that awful jerking and thinking somethings gonna blow apart under the hood is way worse in my opinion.

12. 03-20-2006 07:10 PM #12
      coolant temp sensor had the same problem

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 beetle
      03-20-2006 07:29 PM #13
      anyone notice the first start of the day sounds and feels different? I have a new starter and battery (4month) and now the first crank is weaker/sounds different, but just on initial starts I checked the cables ect, rest of the day is fine unless it is sitting.

Vehicles
      '84 GLI/'01 Wolf
      03-20-2006 07:33 PM #14
      I had bad cold starts last November. Replaced plugs, and my fuel filter was getting clogged. After replacing both, vwooom.

15. 03-22-2006 07:51 AM #15
      Well I replaced her temp coolant sensor last night and let the car sit out over night in the cold weather. She got in the car this morning and the problem seems to have been fixed!

Odd thing is the sensor that I replaced was also a green sensor!

02 VW Jetta 1.8t (daily)

Vehicles
      2007 GLI Fahrenheit Edition 901/1200
      03-22-2006 09:23 AM #16
      i had these same symptoms on my 03 Turbo S NB when it was brand new. the dealership replaced the coil packs under the recall & i never had that problem again.

from a cold start, it idled really rough and would eventually sputter & die. if i started it up, two or three more times, it would run fine...until the next morning from a cold start of course

Modified by ndangrd 3.0 at 8:27 AM 3-22-2006

eric
      2007 Jetta GLI Fahrenheit Edition 901/1200
      2005 Jetta GLI
      2003 New Beetle Turbo S

17. 01-15-2013 02:54 PM #17
      I'm having the same/similar problem with my 2002 MKIV Station wagon 1,8T. I has only 66K miles but in the Cold mornings (<35F) its starts to jerk/rattle (it's erratic) until I wait a minute or two to warm up. Yesterday the CEL started blinking when it did it but it came off once it was stabilized.
      *I have noticed it smells like gasoline and the MPG has drastically come down.
      *Also, it takes a while for the heating to kick in.

I tried making a video of it but I don't think the sound has good quality.

HTML Code:
      http://www.youtube.com/embed/MFnZ2eNV61o
      I did change the spark plugs and coils thinking it was related to that issue because I had misfire DTC codes but I also have a P1296 code (generic scanner, not VAGCOM) that says Cooling System Malfunction.

I have already order a vagcom cable from eBay and will try to diagnose with the free version of Ross Tech

I think it's the Coolant Temp Sensor just because of what I've heard other people's comments on it.

Let me know your thoughts, I appreciate them very much. Thanks!

Vehicles
      2001 GTI 1.8t
      01-15-2013 03:10 PM #18
      My 1.8t hates cold mornings, too. Already done the coils and coolant temp sensor and MAF. Given the issues with vacuum leaks I have had over the years, my kneejerk blame is to say it's the cold making hose and pipe connections shrink and leak. As the car warms up the connections seal themselves and the car runs better.

Vehicles
      02 Mercedes C230 Kompressor Coupe 6 MT, 2012 Nissan Cube, 00 VW Beetle 1.8t
      01-15-2013 07:29 PM #19
      Holy 7 year old thread bump! Anyway, does your dome light turn on when you open the drivers door? If not, the microswitch in the door could be bad. My car was doing this, especially in the winter. When you open the drivers door it primes the fuel pump and if the microswitch is bad the fuel pump will not prime.

My solution was to click the key to on before starting and wait til I heard the fuel pump stop buzzing and then start the car and never had a problem since.
      Instagram: jetta02awp

Vehicles
      01 GTI 1.8
      01-15-2013 08:46 PM #20
      i didnt see the dates and was just reading along the first post and was like holy ****! 30k on an '02 jetta in 2013?!?!?!? fuqqqinnnn nice! then i saw this was 7 years ago. fuqin hell where does the time go?

21. 01-16-2013 01:13 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by guanacux View Post
      I'm having the same/similar problem with my 2002 MKIV Station wagon 1,8T. I has only 66K miles but in the Cold mornings (<35F) its starts to jerk/rattle (it's erratic) until I wait a minute or two to warm up. Yesterday the CEL started blinking when it did it but it came off once it was stabilized.
      *I have noticed it smells like gasoline and the MPG has drastically come down.
      *Also, it takes a while for the heating to kick in.

I tried making a video of it but I don't think the sound has good quality.

HTML Code:
      http://www.youtube.com/embed/MFnZ2eNV61o
      I did change the spark plugs and coils thinking it was related to that issue because I had misfire DTC codes but I also have a P1296 code (generic scanner, not VAGCOM) that says Cooling System Malfunction.

I have already order a vagcom cable from eBay and will try to diagnose with the free version of Ross Tech

I think it's the Coolant Temp Sensor just because of what I've heard other people's comments on it.

Let me know your thoughts, I appreciate them very much. Thanks!
      This morning the car acted a bit discombobulated in the morning on a cold start as usual, I had already order the CTS and Thermostat and picked it up but after work it didn't start. Not even a crank. All lights come ON in the dashboard, not CEL, battery is charge, tank is full. What could be the problem? I need some help, I'm hoping the car starts tomorrow to take it home and replace the thermostat and CTS but I'd appreciate any other feedback in case it could be the starter???

22. 01-17-2013 03:51 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by guanacux View Post
      This morning the car acted a bit discombobulated in the morning on a cold start as usual, I had already order the CTS and Thermostat and picked it up but after work it didn't start. Not even a crank. All lights come ON in the dashboard, not CEL, battery is charge, tank is full. What could be the problem? I need some help, I'm hoping the car starts tomorrow to take it home and replace the thermostat and CTS but I'd appreciate any other feedback in case it could be the starter???
      I tap the starter and the car started again...I bought the starter and I plan to replace it this weekend along with the thermostat and CTS (which is what I originally planned on doing). The car starts now and still shakes a bit on COLD Starts.