Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2001 Passat V6 - No heat

1. 03-20-2006 07:27 PM #1
      2001 Passat V6 auto with 95k miles, second owner

the engine warms up to the normal temp, the blower fan works fine, but i have no heat. the air blowing from the fan is cool. eventually the air temp warms up slightly, but doesn't get hot. this just happend over the past weekend. no clunks, no bangs, no rattles.

anyone else had this problem? any ideas?

thanks

2. 03-20-2006 10:06 PM #2
      If the vehicle shows no signs of otherwise overheating, you may have a clogged heater core. Flushing the core in reverse may clear it.

Key here is if you're otherwise not overheating. If so, it would indicate a possible failed water pump.

3. 03-20-2006 10:16 PM #3
      manual climate control, or climatronic???

Stuck blend flap (climatronic) bad vacuum line (manual), low coolant, plugged heater core, with a bad water pump, you will overheat the engine before getting very far.

Some cars have a vacuum operated valve that allows coolant to the heater core, that could be bad.

Brett

4. 03-21-2006 09:13 AM #4
      thanks. i'll try flushing and refilling the coolant system. no overheating problems at all. my daily one way commute is 65 miles, and the temp guage is rock solid.

5. 03-21-2006 09:25 AM #5
      When this happened to my 2000 v6, the heater
      core had a leak. $1000 to take out the whole
      friggin' dash and replace the core.

6. 03-21-2006 10:12 AM #6
      Quote, originally posted by billscamaros »
      thanks. i'll try flushing and refilling the coolant system. no overheating problems at all. my daily one way commute is 65 miles, and the temp guage is rock solid.

Get the engine hot, turn on the heat, then feel the hoses that run to the heater core, you should be able to get at them in the engine compartment. If BOTH are hot, its a flap problem.
      If one is hot and the other is only warm or cold, its a coolant flow problem.

Its likely to be a blend flap problem, coolant is flowing through the heater core, but the air is not directed through it.

My climatronic always had blend flap error codes, but the system seemed to work ok.

Brett

7. 03-21-2006 01:49 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by Brett1 »

My climatronic always had blend flap error codes, but the system seemed to work ok.

Yours too? I had the dealer replace one of my servomotors under warranty, btu the errors persisted. I'm chalking it up to the climatronic being hypersensitive- my hvac has always worked fine.

8. 03-21-2006 02:13 PM #8
      Yes, every time I went in with the vag-com, I had flap motor errors.
      My system also seemed to work ok, although on a long drive it tended to get cold in the car in the winter, till the temp setting was up past 80F. I dont think that was a blend flap problem though.

The errors must be normal...

Brett