Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 39 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Thread: Eaton guys represent...

1. 05-21-2008 04:12 PM #951
      Quote, originally posted by vwpieces »
      Are you still using the G60 TB with a bypass butterfly?
      I picked up an Auto trans G60 TB to use on my setup w/ TPS.
      Asking the Q's cause I have a couple options but unsure what to use.
      Here is the package I bought & what I have to work with.

*edit*
      ok, just took a better look @ those pics...
      you have MULTIPLE setups going on there.
      the pipes that are bolted on right now... are setup to run with your "stock" G60 TB. the "y-pipe" is intended to have one pipe going up over the charger, and to your airbox.. with the other pipe connecting to the boost-return valve on your TB. The outlet pipe.. looks like it will head off towards your pass side headlight/charcoal cannister.
      */edit*
      where'd you buy that setup from?
      as for how to couple it up... you don't need a G60 TB for the pre-charger-throttle setup... you could very easily make due with say a ford 5.0 TB (which may be what that plate is for.. i dunno, havne't looked @ one in a while)...
      [disregard]
      Magnuson wouldn't have a clue as to what TB would fit your application, as that setup is def not a magnuson design.. it's an aftermarket build by someone w/out full fab equipment.
      To use the internal (or external for that matter) bypass valves, you will need a pipe connected directly from outlet of the charger, to the inlet (post-TB)... there will be a vacuum actuated .. well. actuator there, attached to a butterfly valve. positioning of butterfly should be open @ vacuum, closed @ positive pressure (boost).
      [\disregard]
      the magnuson website i *think* has a pretty good schematic of how their bypass systems work.
      I'm sure some of us in here can help you out as well. perhaps some close-up pictures of those components.
      -Nate

Modified by g60_c at 9:22 PM 5-21-2008

Vehicles
      83 TD Jetta, 68 Bus, 83 2dr Jetta 16V, 1971 Kawasaki H1 500
      05-21-2008 04:40 PM #952
      Thanks Nate,
      These parts are in fact Magnuson & listed on the site, both bypass valve versions are pictured & have part numbers.
      Well, looks like the direct mount I have has been replaced with a different TB bolt pattern.
      http://www.magnusonproducts.com/bypass.htm
      This is the setup Autotech R&D dept made when they were going to market the replacement to the grenade. Bottom line was the low efficiency Eaton, following the Eaton sizing requirements to keep warranty, did not pan out. The charger is a 3rd Gen M62. Rotors are coated & there is no internal WG.
      I recall someone posting that they worked for Autotech when R&D was playing with this setup. I have to look back in this post to see who it was & rack their brain.
      I did not ask Magnuson what TB applied to my application, just asked what TB fit that bolt pattern of the direct mount WG. Did not get an answer. I have looked up some 5.0 ford TB's on ebay a month or so ago but did not get a pic I could see a mounting pattern. I'll check again. Buddy has been doing some 4.6 mustang work recently & they show up on occasion. I should get a chance to see one of those soon.
      My question on vacuum bypass or the mechanical G60 TB... sorry I was not more specific but I am wondering about operating range of the vacuum type compared to the G60 mechanical. The G60 type is pretty obvious how it reacts to throttle response. Wondering if one setup is known to better than the other before I start putting it all together.

Vehicles
      05-21-2008 05:00 PM #953
      I should also point out I am a huge step behind must of you guys here. I will be putting this box of parts into an 83 Jetta 2dr. Engine build is slowly moving forward. But I did not have a car that was already setup for a charger, setup for boost. This only adds to my ignorance & difficulties.
      I intend to run megasquirt & an AWIC with this pile.
      Some more ignorant questions: Is it possible to wire up megasquirt with out a factory harness & ECU? Electrical wiring does not scare me & I should be able to build a harness from scratch if I have to.

4. 05-22-2008 10:32 AM #954
      Quote, originally posted by vwpieces »
      Thanks Nate,
      These parts are in fact Magnuson & listed on the site, both bypass valve versions are pictured & have part numbers.
      Well, looks like the direct mount I have has been replaced with a different TB bolt pattern.
      http://www.magnusonproducts.com/bypass.htm

My question on vacuum bypass or the mechanical G60 TB... sorry I was not more specific but I am wondering about operating range of the vacuum type compared to the G60 mechanical. The G60 type is pretty obvious how it reacts to throttle response. Wondering if one setup is known to better than the other before I start putting it all together.

aahh, well that's pretty cool, that it's the autotech r&d setup...
      as for the bypass setups... the G60 setup is intended as a post-charger TB... that bypass valve is PRIOR to the throttle plates (in terms of airflow), so that air that can't go past the throttle plates, is returned to the charger... this is not the efficient way to run an eaton... you need a setup where the bypass is post-throttle-plate.. so that when the throttle is closed, the air from the charger is redirected right to the inlet side of the charger. That is how the eaton bypass is supposed to run. The vac bypass.. you'd never notice it kicking on/off from a driveability standpoint.. they were engineered to not affect driveability/throttle response/etc
      -Nate

5. 05-25-2008 08:54 PM #955
      DUN-DUN-DDDUUUUUUNNN!
      drove it again today
      well, yesterday eve, then today as well.
      running with the NB vc breather into a home-made catchcan, AND my cc breather still connected to the original catch can.
      hooked the wideband up, and reset timing (somehow i changed it a few weeks back.. d'oh)...
      she fires RIGHT up now, like.. just think hard about it & it happens...
      idles pretty darn good around 800ish rpm at 9-10 afr
      driving... amazing... pulls like a bull, throttle response is pretty tit, a little bit of lag, but.. that could be attributed to just about anything @ this point.. map, fuel injectors, plugs, timing, driveline lash, who knows...
      when cruising, i'm cycling between 12 -16 afr... under boost (5ish psi) it's riding right around 12.. when i let the go-pedal continue too much, and i saw 10psi, things were happening too fast to look @ afr...
      I've got to buy a new hose to connect my coolant overflow bottle, cause the -6 line i'm using right now.. too big & she spurts coolant when pressurized...
      have a few either belt alignment issues, or belt slip issues... got back from a drive this eve, and smelled burnt rubber.. BAD... so i popped the hood, couldn't determine where from ... very easily could be the alt though... i have VERY LITTLE belt wrap there ... i'll fix it this summer.. AFTER it's on the road for a bit.
      but, anyway... car is going great.. gotta get it inspected, and install the full datalogger to get maps to the SNS boys.
      just thought i'd give an update! pictures.. well, they'll show up eventually of the current setup, no camera available right now
      -Nate

Vehicles
      05-30-2008 04:45 AM #956
      My progress report:
      Bottom end is almost done & I could not resist test fitting some parts.

7. 05-30-2008 06:21 AM #957
      nate you think they'd void your warranty for doing that ?

8. 05-30-2008 10:52 AM #958
      Quote, originally posted by mrkrad »
      nate you think they'd void your warranty for doing that ?

?? for doing what? i've done lots of stuff that i'm sure will void many warranties
      -Nate

9. 05-30-2008 02:35 PM #959
      good old nate... the warranty voider...
      anyway what were you two talking about?
      Jonathan

10. 05-30-2008 02:49 PM #960
      Quote, originally posted by potatonet »
      good old nate... the warranty voider...
      anyway what were you two talking about?
      Jonathan

well, i figure there are very few parts on my car now, that would even carry a warranty... the eaton is 13 years old... the pistons have no warranty that i know of, maybe the arp fasteners... the new radiator does, but i dunno how i could void that warranty... the car.. well, i'm pretty certain that is WELL out of warranty... i mean really, what is there to worry about?
      and, i'm still not sure what he's referring to I'm sure Sam will clarify eventually
      -Nate

11. 05-30-2008 11:30 PM #961
      could have been the pain pills speaking i'm weaning off them now due to success of the epidural steroid injections and PT. lol.
      thats what i hate most about this injury those pain killers make you loopy.
      Praying by end of june will be off those damn perc's and ambien; they really make you stupid but without sleep your body can't heal and pain is worse and without pain killers you can't sleep so sorry if i didn't make sense.

12. 05-30-2008 11:37 PM #962
      watch out you're gonna ward that voianty... =-)

13. 05-31-2008 12:26 AM #963
      ok so it seems youve had this project for a while due to the fact that it seems almost done. but seriously like, did you have to get a kit for some of those brackets? I mean geez did you have to make most of it or what?

14. 05-31-2008 01:17 AM #964
      we make everything on our cars...
      kits... pshhh

15. 05-31-2008 07:53 AM #965
      we make everything on our cars...
      kits... pshhh

^ what he said...
      and yes.. "pssshhhh"... my car does indeed make that noise
      Sam, this an old-time injury? what'd you do? hope you get it cleared up quick-like! I used to have a roommate that needed ambien to sleep almost every night... it was always entertaining when she'd take it, then come wandering out of her room an hour later.. talking about green clouds and pink monkeys...
      -Nate

16. 05-31-2008 02:56 PM #966
      sounds like my girlfriend talking in her sleep...

17. 06-01-2008 01:20 AM #967
      sounds like my girlfriend talking in her sleep...

hahaha.. unfortunately, she was completely *awake*...
      so, back on topic... ran the corrado again for a while today... figured out the "burning" smell, was actually a sticking e-brake cable.. not belt alignment issues.. NB VC breather works a treat! no oil in the catch can.. just little bit of condensation..
      car pulls like crazy... runs good..
      new video(s) on my youtube account... pictures of the "final" product.. well.. if i can find a friggin card reader, i'll offload them...
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o0dlcUujNY <- my kid brother's idea.. good idea!
      -Nate

Modified by g60_c at 6:38 AM 6-1-2008

18. 06-01-2008 01:46 AM #968
      looks like a wee bit of oil burn and nice eurosport lower bar

19. 06-01-2008 01:54 AM #969
      Quote, originally posted by potatonet &raquo;
      looks like a wee bit of oil burn and nice eurosport lower bar

might be a bit of oil burn... but, just started up... forged slugs... that'll happen...
      could also be the 9:1 afr @ idle...
      the bar, yeah... figured 'hey, it's cheap.. MAYBE it'll help this pig handle a bit better.. now i have to alter the susp in the rear too...
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCxzK3zYqbg -driving down the road!
      -Nate

20. 06-02-2008 11:24 AM #970
      that thing is pretty loud, huh? .

21. 06-02-2008 11:29 AM #971
      Quote, originally posted by jwatts &raquo;
      that thing is pretty loud, huh? .

nope.. not @ all the neighborhood CERTAINLY doesn't hear me 2 miles down the road...
      and they of course do NOT know when i come home @ night
      btw, sending you a PM, hopefully you get it!
      -Nate

22. 06-02-2008 01:18 PM #972
      that is the reason I build my silencer kit for my lysholm...
      it was firetruck loud... like 2x the bbm one... -.- splitting headache style

Vehicles
      06-04-2008 03:58 AM #973
      In the market for a solid lifter cam. What would you guys recommend?
      1.8L
      Eurospec stage 1 solid head & stock JH valves.
      Eaton M62 3rd Gen w/ coated rotors.
      Looking for something streetable

Vehicles
      Passport and Rocco shell.
      06-11-2008 10:08 PM #974
      I thought the rado was the funnest thing in the world........then I found the ak47

25. 06-12-2008 04:36 PM #975
      heres my old setup

Page 39 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast