Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Eaton guys represent...

1. 04-15-2007 10:28 PM #141
      what psi are you looking to make Mikki?

here's why I ask... if my little spreadsheet calculations are correct...

a M62 displaces .85 L/rev irrc
      if you have a 7000 rpm redline, with a 78mm charger pulley and a stock ABA crank pulley - your charger will be spinning 11900rpm and you'll be making 18.6psi
      an h2O cooler may help - but thats going to be some hot air!!!

Vehicles
      A6 TDI Quattro wagon, A4 TDI Quattro racecar
      04-16-2007 06:37 AM #142
      Hi Ohio,

No idea really, but I wasn't expecting it to be that much! I'm really just building this thing because I can, and I like the characteristics of supercharged engines compared to 16Vs.

I'm used to V8s and TDIs so I'd rather make something with lots of torque low down rather than revving to 7K to get the best from it, but I guess that depends what the power curve looks like when i's running....

Would I be right thinking that if try and get maximum airflow through the engine (head, inlet, exhaust), I can get more flow with less psi? That would help intake temps then wouldn't it? Otherwise I'll have to have a hyuuuge cooler at 18 psi

Maybe the spec should also read p&p head, 4-1 header & 50mm inlet?

Thanks, Mikki x

Throw an Audi engineer down a hole with a ladder and he will fashion a shovel from it and tunnel his way out

Quote Originally Posted by shwak23 View Post
      You could always call your insurance and say that some vandals tried to swap your car to rwd while you weren't looking.

04-16-2007 11:44 AM #143
      Quote, originally posted by g60_c »

as for pics, i'm workin on it as we speak

-nate

Yup, we's rockin' wit it....

BTW, you were the guy that's got the 2nd gen S port right? I'm looking to get one of those myself, I just can't seem to find one in a good shape that's worth the money. All the ones I find have the coating knocked off the rotors, and they're overpriced considering that fact. W/O the coating the S port isn't much better than the 1st Gen, but I guess every little bit helps...

Vehicles
      04-16-2007 12:29 PM #144
      Quote, originally posted by swingwing205 »

W/O the coating the S port isn't much better than the 1st Gen, but I guess every little bit helps...

'Scuse my ignorance but what's the difference? Any idea what 'gen' the Mercedes M62 is? That has a teflon type coating on the rotors.

Also does anyone have any pics or links of porting these things? Looking at it, there doesn't seem to be very much you can do to it?

Tia, Mikki x

Throw an Audi engineer down a hole with a ladder and he will fashion a shovel from it and tunnel his way out

You could always call your insurance and say that some vandals tried to swap your car to rwd while you weren't looking.

5. 04-16-2007 02:37 PM #145
      Quote, originally posted by MikkiJayne »

'Scuse my ignorance but what's the difference? Any idea what 'gen' the Mercedes M62 is? That has a teflon type coating on the rotors.

Also does anyone have any pics or links of porting these things? Looking at it, there doesn't seem to be very much you can do to it?

Tia, Mikki x

the "generation" is not determined by the model. well.. it is.. but it's not

the M62, has several "generations" that it has gone through. Gen 1 was very inefficient.. large gaps between rotors & casing, poor flow-paths, etc... Gen 2 has teflon coated rotors & better airflows... Gen 3.. is getting more towards the bomb-diggity... etc...

as for porting, you can open up/smooth the airflow paths on the inlets/outlets... get rid of those sharp transitions, etc...

Swingwing -> I do NOT have a gen2.. i cheaped out and got a gen1... very plentiful, and i think i paid like $100 shipped for the charger when it was all said & done... bought it with piping & crap.. sold all the extra stuff...

btw, i've got pics of my car, what it has in it.. where it is.. (and more importantly, where it is NOT now... ) just getting them hosted & will post when i have them available.

-nate

6. 04-16-2007 05:10 PM #146
      hey guys.

im from south africa, here is my eaton conversion, i am using a Eaton M45,
      i am making 130HP with it still mapped for a 1.6i and it is a 1.8i so the mapping is totaly out!!! i have got a new intake from an Audi to move
      the TB to the other side, just got a G60 TB which im waiting to install, busy having a charge cooler made up aswell and i have a standalone management called Dicktator which is made here in sa similar to megasquirt... i should be making between 160 and 170Hp once itsdone. here are some pics for u to see..

let me know what u think, then setup is going to look diff as im having a new outlet pipe made for the charger aswell..

my new intake

new managment

here is when it was first installed

more recent pic

http://www.filehigh.com/servevid/18347/199527.avi

http://s95.photobucket.com/alb...4.flv

here is a link to my thread on the VW south africa forum..

http://www.vwclub.co.za/vwforu...=werd

Dyno run before new mods with a leaking header..
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0TURzMDQjo

Modified by werder at 1:27 PM 4-16-2007

Modified by werder at 1:32 PM 4-16-2007

Modified by werder at 1:41 PM 4-16-2007

Modified by werder at 1:42 PM 4-16-2007

7. 04-16-2007 05:16 PM #147
      Glad to see some "fresh blood" in the thread! install looks good! keep us updated as things progress!

-nate

04-17-2007 01:01 PM #148
      Glad to see some "fresh blood" in the thread! install looks good! keep us updated as things progress!

-nate

Welkom! You're the first South African here....

9. 04-18-2007 11:51 PM #149
      i cant wait to have my A1 GTI finished now, after watching that vid....
      Can you imagine - 2.2L-16v 11:1CR and an M90......on MSnS

I'm building at a sandwich freon/air IC for that this summer

10. 04-19-2007 12:16 PM #150
      Quote, originally posted by OhioBenz »
      i cant wait to have my A1 GTI finished now, after watching that vid....
      Can you imagine - 2.2L-16v 11:1CR and an M90......on MSnS

I'm building at a sandwich freon/air IC for that this summer

wow... i think you be brave @ 11:1 that will be just NASTY in an A1.. holy crap!

here's hoping it works out well for ya!

i'm *hopefully* going to be down @ my corrado this weekend to finish the clean-up of the engine bay for the new engine.. and maybe start the mock-up of pipes/etc

04-20-2007 11:38 AM #151

wow... i think you be brave @ 11:1 that will be just NASTY in an A1.. holy crap!

With a 16v engine, I think he won't have any worries at all, so long as he uses high quality performance parts. Def NOT a throw together though, something like that takes time. The 16v is already a high wound-up motor, isn't it like already 10.8:1? Just use REALLY good gas!

12. 04-20-2007 12:09 PM #152

With a 16v engine, I think he won't have any worries at all, so long as he uses high quality performance parts. Def NOT a throw together though, something like that takes time. The 16v is already a high wound-up motor, isn't it like already 10.8:1? Just use REALLY good gas!

yeah, stock compression on the 9A is 10.8:1 the 16VT guys usually stack HG to drop compression prior to dropping a turbo on..

i'm just seeing that eaton putting 18+ psi to it.. that'll be a crap-ton of compression total... i wanna see the buildup and the tire-fire after

-nate

13. Banned
      04-20-2007 01:43 PM #153
      just found this thread, been kicking the idea around for the last couple years about using the m90 on a 16v. i love my NA 16v but after getting my roomates 8vt setup up an running, i def am in the need for some boost

my plan as of now is to run an m90 with a 2L 16v (9a), stock compression, custom short runner, nice big intercooler, and water injection. i also have a set of 269/276 delta cams if i want some more. id like to run about 12 psi normally, but with the megasquirt (already installed) i have the ability to switch to more boost at the flip of a switch, so id like to see what 15-18psi will do. i think ill be able to have plenty control over the intake temps with the ms, intercooler and WI.

talked with peter about it, and he thinks it should be a good route to go. i have the intake/tb setup for this, now im just collecting funds to buy the charger and have the brackets made up. probably be a few months before it all gets on, but im hoping to have it done in time for waterwagons

my old setup

Vehicles
      '09 GTi
      04-20-2007 01:55 PM #154
      Final thoughts people -

My 9A 16v is at the point where i need to bolt up a charger. I've dropped compression from 10.6:1 to ~9.6:1 by stacking ABA gaskets.

I believe this is an M60. thoughts?

The real question is, can this make 10 psi on this motor at 7k rpm? and I think I just answered my own question by re-reading a previous post.

but anyways, can anyone tell which m6x this is? guess I should have taken pics of the screws..

15. 04-20-2007 02:31 PM #155
      Quote, originally posted by Sciroccomann »
      Final thoughts people -

My 9A 16v is at the point where i need to bolt up a charger. I've dropped compression from 10.6:1 to ~9.6:1 by stacking ABA gaskets.

I believe this is an M60. thoughts?

The real question is, can this make 10 psi on this motor at 7k rpm? and I think I just answered my own question by re-reading a previous post.

but anyways, can anyone tell which m6x this is? guess I should have taken pics of the screws..

I believe that's an M62..

10psi should be VERY achievable on that motor.. the M62 is engineered to be a charger for a 2-3L engine...

I have not seen an M90 with that short of a snout, that's why i'm thinking its a 62...

Vehicles
      '09 GTi
      04-20-2007 03:29 PM #156
      So how noisy are these things? Anything compared to a lysohlm?

17. 04-20-2007 04:46 PM #157
      Quote, originally posted by Sciroccomann »
      So how noisy are these things? Anything compared to a lysohlm?

the lysholm, i believe is a higher-pitched noise... drives into your skull more

with that being said, the M90 i have.. is not quiet.. not by any stretch of the imagination...

I haven't had mine side-by-side with a lysholm, so... sorry ..

there was a link above somewhere to a video w/the m45.. i think my M90 is a little "deeper" tone than that, but i could be imagining it

18. 04-20-2007 04:58 PM #158
      Quote, originally posted by VWralley »
      just found this thread, been kicking the idea around for the last couple years about using the m90 on a 16v. i love my NA 16v but after getting my roomates 8vt setup up an running, i def am in the need for some boost

my plan as of now is to run an m90 with a 2L 16v (9a), stock compression, custom short runner, nice big intercooler, and water injection. i also have a set of 269/276 delta cams if i want some more. id like to run about 12 psi normally, but with the megasquirt (already installed) i have the ability to switch to more boost at the flip of a switch, so id like to see what 15-18psi will do. i think ill be able to have plenty control over the intake temps with the ms, intercooler and WI.

talked with peter about it, and he thinks it should be a good route to go. i have the intake/tb setup for this, now im just collecting funds to buy the charger and have the brackets made up. probably be a few months before it all gets on, but im hoping to have it done in time for waterwagons

WAI - thats how to keep the CR up, the temps down....
      Def in the plan!
      Actually wasnt looking at running over 10-12psi because a) with the flow of a majorly ported head thats a lot more air/fuel than an 8v at that boost b) I can run way lower rpm with the M90 so heat will be less issue. If we find we can go higher than 12psi

19. 04-20-2007 05:54 PM #159

I have not seen an M90 with that short of a snout, that's why i'm thinking its a 62...

Magnuson will sell you any size snout for the Eatons. I've found their tech guys to be pretty helpful, give em a yell.....

Insert drivel here.....

20. 04-21-2007 12:53 PM #160
      One guy here in Sweden makes and sells bolt-on kits with Eaton M62

04-21-2007 10:34 PM #161

yeah, stock compression on the 9A is 10.8:1 the 16VT guys usually stack HG to drop compression prior to dropping a turbo on..

i'm just seeing that eaton putting 18+ psi to it.. that'll be a crap-ton of compression total... i wanna see the buildup and the tire-fire after

-nate

Yeah, I forgot about using multiple headgaskets to lower compression, and needing to do that. But, I don't think what he's wanting to do is impossible by any stretch of the imagination. So long as he uses the right parts (In particular, all the reciping parts and head bolts), and running the right gas, why not? Dude's just got to make the charge is as cool as possible, and run really good gas.
      It might not handle 15+psi, but it might be good for really close, and talk about making power!

22. 04-22-2007 03:34 PM #162
      for the price of this kit id much rather get a Lyscholm!!!

23. 04-22-2007 06:22 PM #163
      Its expensive to import a Lysholm charger to Sweden, we pay very high taxes and customs fee. The final price for a lysholm would be around $3600 so its much less expensive with an eaton charger here.

24. 04-22-2007 10:24 PM #164
      what would the price roughly be in canadian funds for that eaton kit? i could probably find the exchange rate on the net......but im lazy. and is it possible to order just the charger mounts? i tried to get as much info from the site as possible....but all i could understand were the pictures lol.

25. 04-23-2007 08:29 AM #165
      2700 CAD for the kit. You send your g-lader mount to him and you get a modified in return + all the other parts you need for the install.

I dont think David minds if you send him a mail on info@dli-teknik.se

26. 04-23-2007 10:52 PM #166
      awsome thank :thumb you.

27. 04-24-2007 04:07 PM #167
      wham bang.... here's my pics

yes, i know it's a pretty ghetto setup.. what can i say.. i was running out of time, and my beater was on it's last legs...

-nate

*edit* another angle of the M90 outlet plumbing & it's relation to the AC compressor. I don't have any with the radiator in... but you can imagine it.. the eaton outlet piping "wraps" around the radiator...

Modified by g60_c at 8:48 PM 4-24-2007

04-25-2007 10:00 AM #168
      http://www.hotdub.com/pictures/albums/userpics/normal_DSC02317.JPG[/img]

yes, i know it's a pretty ghetto setup.. what can i say.. i was running out of time, and my beater was on it's last legs...

-nate

*edit* another angle of the M90 outlet plumbing & it's relation to the AC compressor. I don't have any with the radiator in... but you can imagine it.. the eaton outlet piping "wraps" around the radiator...

Dude, where's the alternator going? Not trying to be a jerk, just curious. How did you manage to post those pics? I need HELP!

29. 04-25-2007 11:13 AM #169

Dude, How did you manage to post those pics? I need HELP!

I already told you...join HotDub - we (still) have free Dub related pic hosting!! Its nice if you donate a little once in a while...kinda like Public Radio - no adverts

See the link in my sig

04-25-2007 11:33 AM #170
      Quote, originally posted by OhioBenz »

I already told you...join HotDub - we (still) have free Dub related pic hosting!! Its nice if you donate a little once in a while...kinda like Public Radio - no adverts

See the link in my sig

I must've overlooked that. I'll check that out. All I gotta do then is figure out how to properly use my wife's digicam.

04-25-2007 11:40 AM #171
      Hi everyone,

I'm currently building an ABA 16V with a Merc M62. It'll have ~9.5:1 CR with 9A pistons, running Megasquirt II, a water-air cooler to keep the plumbing short, and a G60 T/B for recirc. Got a 50mm manifold to try too.

I've modified the M62 to take a standard G60 pulley instead of the stoopid clutch thing, so I'll start with stock (78mm) and see where it takes me. That gives me a range of 10,500rpm @ 6000 engine rpm to 14k on a 60mm pulley.

I'm building it for fun, as I have all the bits kicking about, and torque as I don't much like 16V screamers
      I'd be very interested in what sort of numbers you guys think this will make.......

When it's all done I will post dyno results. There's one less than an hour from my house so it would be rude not to

Mikki x

Mikki, welcome to the Eaton club! Nice to see a female Corrado owner up here, and an English one at that!

BTW, I love RHD Corrados (on top of that, yours is unusual colour), one of these days I'll buy one and import it to the US! I have a request, although it's not Eaton related....Could you please post up a pic of the interior showing the steering wheel and driver's side seat?

I've given thought to just importing the parts to do a RHD Conversion into my Corrado, would you have any idea of how hard it would be to get those parts?

32. 04-25-2007 02:04 PM #172

Dude, where's the alternator going? Not trying to be a jerk, just curious. How did you manage to post those pics? I need HELP!

oh, not taken as a "jerk" comment..

these pics were taken during the "tear down" of the car in prep for hte new engine... so the alternator was already off..

my alt sits in the OEM location the charger JUST misses it.

-nate

Vehicles
      04-25-2007 05:47 PM #173

Mikki, welcome to the Eaton club! Nice to see a female Corrado owner up here, and an English one at that!

BTW, I love RHD Corrados (on top of that, yours is unusual colour), one of these days I'll buy one and import it to the US! I have a request, although it's not Eaton related....Could you please post up a pic of the interior showing the steering wheel and driver's side seat?

I've given thought to just importing the parts to do a RHD Conversion into my Corrado, would you have any idea of how hard it would be to get those parts?

Thanks

I don't actually have any interior pics, but if you PM me I'll send you some so we don't take this thread too far off topic It will be dead easy to get the parts for a RHD conversion - would you like a grey or black interior?

Mikki x

04-26-2007 08:53 AM #174

Thanks

I don't actually have any interior pics, but if you PM me I'll send you some so we don't take this thread too far off topic It will be dead easy to get the parts for a RHD conversion - would you like a grey or black interior?

Mikki x

Black of course! Maybe Grey at some point, if I ever get another Corrado with that colour interior.

I'll shout you an IM, I wouldn't want to get this threat off course too badly either...

35. 04-26-2007 11:01 PM #175

Women can use sex to get what they want. Men can't because sex *is* what they want
      Mikki x

Great sig....but there's a lot of women still looking for great sex.....
      So the law of supply and demand still applies

Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast