Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MKV GTI R32 tail light DIY

Vehicles
      @LuvGermanCars
      07-15-2006 11:38 PM #36
      Quote, originally posted by Mr. Rabboto »
      So after you cut the wire, both the wire from terminal 2 and 3 splice together in one side of the connector?

You dont really have to cut wire in terminal 3, I think its better to just tap into the wire 3..

2Ø11 Candy-Weiß Golf 6 2,0 6-Gang DPF TDI BLUEMOTION Technologies™ Highline 4-Türen ▀ 2Ø11 Tornadorot Jetta 6 2,5 Highline 4-TürenØ8 Deep Blau Perleffekt Golf 5 .:R32 3,2 DSG 4-MOTION™ 3-Türen ▀ Ø8 Tornadorot Passat 3C Variant Highline 2,0 TFSIØ6 Tornadorot Golf 5 GTI 2,0 DSG TFSI 3-TürenØ2 Indigo Blau Perleffekt Passat 3BG Trendline 1,8T 4-Türen

2. 07-30-2006 10:03 AM #37
      Is there a wiring diagram in the house? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

I infer that the new jumper into position 2 is to preserve the outside halves of the brake signals. And the recoding basically tells the module that there are two brake lightbulbs instead of four because the outer bulbs are now no longer dual-use as turn signals. (ie: don't close circuit to (old) wire 3 while braking) The four bulbs still light under braking because they're wired in parallel after this mod. The turn signal coding goes unchanged since the circuit now passes through a different bulb pair just as before. Correct?

Vehicles
      @LuvGermanCars
      08-11-2006 06:22 AM #38
      Quote, originally posted by scotaku »
      Is there a wiring diagram in the house? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

I infer that the new jumper into position 2 is to preserve the outside halves of the brake signals. And the recoding basically tells the module that there are two brake lightbulbs instead of four because the outer bulbs are now no longer dual-use as turn signals. (ie: don't close circuit to (old) wire 3 while braking) The four bulbs still light under braking because they're wired in parallel after this mod. The turn signal coding goes unchanged since the circuit now passes through a different bulb pair just as before. Correct?

So when you brake it only the outer hald circles that light up right? Thats how I have seen euro Golfs..

2Ø11 Candy-Weiß Golf 6 2,0 6-Gang DPF TDI BLUEMOTION Technologies™ Highline 4-Türen ▀ 2Ø11 Tornadorot Jetta 6 2,5 Highline 4-TürenØ8 Deep Blau Perleffekt Golf 5 .:R32 3,2 DSG 4-MOTION™ 3-Türen ▀ Ø8 Tornadorot Passat 3C Variant Highline 2,0 TFSIØ6 Tornadorot Golf 5 GTI 2,0 DSG TFSI 3-TürenØ2 Indigo Blau Perleffekt Passat 3BG Trendline 1,8T 4-Türen

4. 08-11-2006 07:21 AM #39
      Quote, originally posted by 4string »
      Since I am not using a rear fog light I removed the left inner lens light socket assembly from the R32 tail light which is held in by 3 screws and removed the red lens from the R32 left inner tail light and and exchanged it with the clear lens from the old GTI tail light.

FYI you can order the left light from the LHD R32 tail of you want a clear lens rather than a rear fog.

5. 08-20-2006 12:54 AM #40
      So whats the verdict on this? Are the brake lights half-circles after this mod or are they a full circle. I would prefer full circle with an amber center. How would we code the tail to do that?

Vehicles
      12 Passat TDI SEL
      08-20-2006 12:57 AM #41
      Quote, originally posted by vwboyatl »
      So whats the verdict on this? Are the brake lights half-circles after this mod or are they a full circle. I would prefer full circle with an amber center. How would we code the tail to do that?

I did this mod and used the coding here and have full circle brake lights and amber center

7. 12-12-2006 01:36 AM #42
      You have to splice wires

Just installed these myself. Look awesome and work great with the rear fog. But I have a little modification for the DIY if you want to keep the harnesses looking stock.

There *is* a way to do it without splicing wires. Now, this is cheating in a way, but it doesn't modify the "OEM'ness" if that's a word .. of the car. What you can do rather than splicing, is you can get the inner taillight assembly out by popping the three clips that hold it in. Once out, rather than splicing those wires together for pins 2 & 3, you can merge them using the proper gauge wire and a soldering iron. Scuff up the metal traces that are pins 2 & 3 on the inside of the assembly after removing the two bulbs. Tin the scuffed area and make yourself a jumper with some stranded wire. Now, make a U shape out of your jumper wire and solder it to the scuffed & tinned areas that you prepared earlier. Voila! You have bridged pins 2 & 3 inside the taillight assembly where it cannot be seen. Now you have the required wiring while keeping your harnesses stock. Aside from relocating the pins that is. Also, this saves having to buy the crimped pins from VW and makes the mod just that little tiny bit cheaper to do for all the penny pinchers around. I did it moreso out of necessity as my parts dept. was closed and I wanted to get the tails in tonight.

Hope this helps out! Perhaps an addition to the DIY as an option?

Take care everyone, and get those R32 tails man, they're sweet!

EDIT! **

Wow, apparently I have 2 userid's, one I registered ages ago when I had my 1.8T. For those who care to know, I'm normally known as desean81. I need to remove this userid and transfer my posts to my new one. Any admin help?

Modified by desean at 6:38 AM 12-12-2006

8. 12-12-2006 01:51 AM #43
      SWEET JU JU BEANS!!!!!

Thanks.........gonna do this as soon as I can.

9. 12-13-2006 01:03 AM #44
      So I did this mod today before going to work. I ran into issues. I changed the long code like Iwas supposed to. The issue I had was I kept getting fault codes. Only the center bulb would light up when I would apply the brakes. Nothing would happen when I put on the flashers or turn signal. Any ideas? I used the Golf bulb holders (which is supposed to be the same guts) from OEMPLUS. Anyone have a shot of the bulb holders from an R32?

10. 12-15-2006 10:25 AM #45
      Quote, originally posted by loccusst »
      So I did this mod today before going to work. I ran into issues. I changed the long code like Iwas supposed to. The issue I had was I kept getting fault codes. Only the center bulb would light up when I would apply the brakes. Nothing would happen when I put on the flashers or turn signal. Any ideas? I used the Golf bulb holders (which is supposed to be the same guts) from OEMPLUS. Anyone have a shot of the bulb holders from an R32?

Loccusst - you have to use the bulb holders that were supplied with the taillights - if you use the US spec bulb holders and code for the Euro (along with wiring for Euro) then you'll get faults, and the lights won't work properly.

Are you aiming to have amber signals and rear fog? That's 3/4 of the benefit of having the R32 tails.

11. 12-15-2006 01:27 PM #46
      I am not using the US spec bulb holders that came with the car originaly. I purchased the Golf bulb holders off of OEMPLUS that has the spot for the turn signal bulb in the middle. I already have rear fog but want the amber turns also. Supposedly acorrding to OEMPLUS this bulb holder is all you need. You just replace the factory ones that came with the car.

12. 12-19-2006 10:12 AM #47
      Loccusst,

No there is a wiring change that needs to be performed as well as some VAG-COM coding. It's all detailed in this post earlier on. As an option you can do the wiring bridge inside the bulb holder if you wish as I detailed in my post earlier.

If you're still having issues send me a PM and I'll do my best to help.

13. 03-13-2007 04:04 AM #48
      can u take a pic of where you sodlered the parts together, I have the piece out and can't figure out what pin leads to where

Vehicles
      2012 R/2007 GTI
      03-17-2007 09:59 PM #49
      I did this mod today. I soldered inside the taillights, here are the pics:

15. 03-17-2007 10:50 PM #50
      THANKS A TON!

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado G60, '06 GTI
      03-18-2007 02:10 AM #51
      Quote, originally posted by BRM10984 »

The rear fog modification renders the rear fog location useless as a reverse light. In other words, no- a car modified to have a rear fog lamp will not have two functional reverse lamps.

Has anyone experimented with brighter alternatives to the reverse light? I feel it's kinda dark back there with two right now, but with only one when I get R32 rear lights, I'm gonna want to have some extra light back there (I actually use the passenger's side view mirror tilted down to see my rear wheel while reversing.)

03-21-2007 08:24 PM #52
      Quote, originally posted by corradokidg60 »

Has anyone experimented with brighter alternatives to the reverse light? I feel it's kinda dark back there with two right now, but with only one when I get R32 rear lights, I'm gonna want to have some extra light back there (I actually use the passenger's side view mirror tilted down to see my rear wheel while reversing.)

I agree it's a little dim, I experience the same thing myself. Be careful though. I've read elsewhere on the Vortex that increasing wattage in the bulb back there could have negative consequences to the light housing and wiring.

18. 03-21-2007 08:38 PM #53
      Man are you kidding me I just ordered my r32 tailights and I did not know you have to go through all this nonsense to switch tail lights...there goes german for ya

03-21-2007 10:04 PM #54
      Quote, originally posted by brandon0221 »
      Man are you kidding me I just ordered my r32 tailights and I did not know you have to go through all this nonsense to switch tail lights...there goes german for ya

I looked at this DIY for about a week and a half while I was waiting on my lights to arrive. I was a little nervous about cutting wires on my new baby. (I ended up splicing into, not cutting, the wire in #3, as suggested earlier in the thread). To my surprise, it took me literally 25 minutes, including coding to accomplish it. Don't let the whole "rewire" concept get to you. It's real simple. And makes great lights...well, really great.

Vehicles
      2012 R/2007 GTI
      03-22-2007 11:46 AM #55
      Quote, originally posted by brandon0221 »

It's not that bad at all, I dont mind soldering, I actually like it. The part that took me the most time was getting the wire out of the socket... other than that it's a simple mod.

21. 03-22-2007 12:21 PM #56
      Cool! Glad everyone is liking my inside-the-taillight soldering mod. I started a DIY! Woohoo!

As a side note - I didn't have this post in my email replies section, so I never saw the pic request, thanks to zither99 for posting those pics for me.

Modified by desean81 at 9:22 AM 3-22-2007

22. 04-01-2007 10:14 PM #57
      So what will not work if I only plug and play

23. 04-10-2007 01:28 PM #58
      Quote »
      So after you cut the wire, both the wire from terminal 2 and 3 splice together in one side of the connector?

i don't think there was a definitive answer on this (or else i'm just not getting it)... is it correct that after you cut the wire in #3, the wires in #2 and #3 are spliced together and are connected to the other end of the cut wire via a butt connector?

i'm stupid. thanks again.

Modified by djkjan82 at 6:29 PM 4-10-2007

Vehicles
      '07 GTI
      04-18-2007 04:19 PM #59
      Quote, originally posted by djkjan82 »

i don't think there was a definitive answer on this (or else i'm just not getting it)... is it correct that after you cut the wire in #3, the wires in #2 and #3 are spliced together and are connected to the other end of the cut wire via a butt connector?

i'm stupid. thanks again.

Modified by djkjan82 at 6:29 PM 4-10-2007

bump for an answer to this...gonna try this after I get my lights tomorrow.

05-17-2007 01:13 PM #60
      Anybody know what the part numbers are for the lights?

Vehicles
      B7 6MT S4 Avant, '09 6MT Sportwagen TDI
      05-23-2007 10:52 AM #61
      Quote, originally posted by sldrsvw »
      I did this mod and used the coding here and have full circle brake lights and amber center

Some clarification needed here. I'll be helping someone with this, but don't want full circle brakes, but just the outer half to match RoW specifications. Would it be just swapping the wire to the other terminal or just leaving it? It seems logical that leaving out the splicing two wires together would give half circles, but just a question of which terminal. I know that I will be able to figure it out if no one gets back to this question, but it would be nice to know ahead of time.

Also, could someone post what the process is with the long coding helper? What check boxes need to be checked/unchecked?

Modified by VWYankee at 7:53 AM 5-23-2007

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      05-26-2007 12:19 PM #62
      Ask cafecar on here about this. He ran one wire from each tail lamp to the control module to get ROW specs. I do not belive there is a way to do this with coding only. cafecar will know all of the details.

Good luck,
      Tom

I've been losing lots of keys lately
      I don't know what that means but maybe
      I'd be better of with things that can't be locked at all

Vehicles
      7th VW... 8 others...
      05-28-2007 10:32 AM #63
      Quote, originally posted by VWYankee »

Some clarification needed here. I'll be helping someone with this, but don't want full circle brakes, but just the outer half to match RoW specifications.

Although full circle brakes would be a good idea, and personally, I think I would rather have the full instead of half circle brakes to go along with the amber turn signals...

=====
      ===== Mine: 2010 Black Golf TDI
      =====
      ===== His: 2011 Black JSW TDI
      =====

29. 05-28-2007 09:51 PM #64
      If you want to have half circle brake lights you must run 2 wires from each tail light assembly to the Central Electrics control module and code the module accordingly. Too much disassembly involved for me just to have half of the brake lights. It is safer to have full circle brake lights in my opinion.

30. 06-12-2007 04:10 PM #65
      Seems to me that all you have to do to get a half circle of brake light is to put the wire that one would splice/split (without splicing it) into the slot that will light up the the half of the brake lights that you want to light up and do the coding as required. Or is that going to throw a code.

Also, after doing this as per instructions will the car be able to tell me if one of the brake light bulbs (now powered by the spliced/split wire) is out?

Modified by AS3 at 6:16 AM 6-15-2007

Vehicles
      06-15-2007 08:52 AM #66
      Quote, originally posted by AS3 »
      Seems to me that all you have to do to get a half circle of brake light is to put the wire that one would splice/split (with splicing it) into the slot that will light up the the half of the brake lights that you want to light up and do the coding as required. Or is that going to throw a code.

Also, after doing this as per instructions will the car be able to tell me if one of the brake light bulbs (now powered by the spliced/split wire) is out?

Agreed. Well, sort of. I'd like to see why any long coding is needed outside of getting the rear fog to work. For the signals, if you're swapping wires, that should be all that's needed. There's no way coding is need just to get "amber" since these are still incandescent bulbs like the stock tails, and no magic/coding is needed to "enable" anything (outside of the rear fog as stated).

32. 06-15-2007 09:07 AM #67
      Alas, coding is mandatory, at least for for the Rabbit (don't know about the Jetta). If not, the wire powering the amber light will act like it's supposed to for the US specs and it will light up when the brakes are applied (speaking from recent experience). Under US spec coding the wire powering the turn signal does double duty, as a signal and as a brake light. Changing the code releases it from it's brake light obligations. Splicing/splitting/soldering the remaining wire for the inside half of the brake light rounds out the donut.

All you really need to do is change byte 13 in the code to 00 from the default of 14 (I think). Otherwise you get the the amber signal lighting up with the brake lights, but it will blink if the brakes are on and you have pushed the indicator stalk. Maybe some think that's cool. Not me.

Modified by AS3 at 6:17 AM 6-15-2007

Modified by AS3 at 6:20 AM 6-15-2007

Vehicles
      06-15-2007 12:43 PM #68
      Quote, originally posted by AS3 »
      Alas, coding is mandatory, at least for for the Rabbit (don't know about the Jetta). If not, the wire powering the amber light will act like it's supposed to for the US specs and it will light up when the brakes are applied (speaking from recent experience). Under US spec coding the wire powering the turn signal does double duty, as a signal and as a brake light. Changing the code releases it from it's brake light obligations. Splicing/splitting/soldering the remaining wire for the inside half of the brake light rounds out the donut.

All you really need to do is change byte 13 in the code to 00 from the default of 14 (I think). Otherwise you get the the amber signal lighting up with the brake lights, but it will blink if the brakes are on and you have pushed the indicator stalk. Maybe some think that's cool. Not me.

I wasn't thinking about the difference with US spec sharing the brake and signal operations. Now it makes sense that coding is needed to get amber working properly. However, now that makes me think there should be a way to get it to work without splicing/adding/soldering wires, but perhaps just by switching.

Say you get them wired so it functions the way you're describing (amber lighting up when you brake), then play around with the long coding so the computer's only telling amber to light up with indicators not with brakes as well. Has anyone played around with that?

*Edit*
      I mention this because I know with getting the Jetta LED's to work there are combinations of long coding that similar results happen. You'll get amber when braking along with signaling if the long coding is done a certain way. It's ugly as crap because they're dual color LED's, so it's more of an orange color because both red and yellow LED's are being activated. Strange, but has me wondering about the R32 tails.

Modified by VWYankee at 9:47 AM 6-15-2007

34. 08-04-2007 02:56 PM #69

You will need 2 wire terminals to insert into the multiplug terminal housings for the outboard rear light assemblies. The terminals you can get at the VW dealer and the terminals will have a short piece of wire crimped onto them that you can splice onto the original harness.

The part number for the wiring terminal is:
      000 979 141

Sorry for bumping this up, but I've got a question.

You need to buy this terminal for it to work? Or did some of you guys not use this and got it working anyhow? Like is there a way to just "hook" up a wire similar w/o buying that terminal. Thanks.

Unitronic Stg 2+ K04
      My flickr
      Past cars:
      1991 Corrado G60 autotragic
      1998 Jetta GLX 5MT - miss it to this day

Vehicles
      08-11-2007 02:28 PM #70
      Quote, originally posted by g60_corrado_91 »
      Sorry for bumping this up, but I've got a question.

You need to buy this terminal for it to work? Or did some of you guys not use this and got it working anyhow? Like is there a way to just "hook" up a wire similar w/o buying that terminal. Thanks.

The jumper wire is needed, sort of, but technically not. I just did this today for Andrew and thought I had the right jumper wire (I have some for hooking up the rear fog), but I didn't.

You can do everything the DIY says without a jumper wire, but the outer half circle of the taillight will NOT light up at all as you won't have any wire running to the terminal that sends the power/signal. So, the inner half circle will still function right as a tail and brake light with amber being in the little center circle.

What I can't believe no one has mentioned on here is that the jumper wire needed (000 979 141) is freakin' $11 and is a special order at just about every dealer!! I thought the part number looked familiar and might be the same jumper used for many things on MKIV's, but I was wrong after trying that one (didn't work). So, you gotta buck up and buy the darn wire for $11, even though the jumper for doing the rear fog that looks identical outside of being smaller is only a dollar or two. That's just dumb...

Modified by VWYankee at 11:30 AM 8-11-2007

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast