Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LHD MkV drivers mini-glovebox installation aka Dash Cubby

1. 04-05-2006 12:59 AM #1
      Having received my parts from Hillside (thank you very much!) I set out this afternoon to install the MkV LHD drivers mini-glovebox. Not finding a writeup for this little mod after running into a little trouble, I grabbed the digicam and went back to work. Here are the results!

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd rank this one as a 4. The job may require you to be a left-handed Japanese albino midget, but I did okay. You'll need the following tools:

flashlight
      T-20 driver or socket
      T-30 driver or socket
      rachet drive wrench for sockets
      socket extenstion (wobble not neccessary)
      long, flat blade screwdriver
      10mm boxwrench, ratcheting if you have 'em!

DISCLAIMER: This write-up was performed by a conscientious GTI owner on his own US-model 2006 VW MkV GTI. It involves the removal of three metal components and the replacement of a plastic component that may or may not be part of the structural or safety elements of his car. He makes no guarantee that his or your vehicle warranty will not be negatively affected for performing this modification. Your use of this information is done at your own risk. The author nor this forum may be held responsible for your actions in consuming this information.

[EDIT] There may be alternative bracket that restore the safety/structural qualities of the dash. The author is researching the possibilities of a retrofit from newer MkV Jettas and will post accordingly.

[Amendment 9 May 06] With my deepest thanks to bigdyno over on the GolfMkV.com forums, we've been able to confirm that the three brackets removed in this mod are not present nor replaced by anything similar in his Canadian model GTI that came with this box, standard. I now believe these three brackets may be an added US safety component for increased driver protection in an accident. But I also believe in German engineering and in driver training to avoid accidents. Please perform this mod only at your own risk and comfort level.

Meet your enemy:

Pictured are three of the most diabolical villians you never knew were hiding in your dash.

The big guy in the upper right comes out easily enough and exposes the relay panel adjacent to the fuse block. It appears this bracket is intended for easy removal for relay access. It's two smaller companions are not so easy to remove and required the articulate action of Craftsman's fine 10mm ratcheting boxwrench. More below.

What you're replacing:

This is the original lower left side of the driver's dash panel. It is attached with three T-20 coarse screws along the bottom edge, a T-20 hiding behind the lightswitch, and a single T-20 screw at the upper right adjacent to the gauge cluster covered by the steering column dust cover. It plays host to a pair of steel clipserts on its left that hold the fuse cover door in place.

What you'll end up with:

The oem mini-glovebox. The author purchased his from Hillside Imports in Portland, Oregon via their e-commerce website and is pleased to report their good customer service.

Getting started...

First things first, you'll need to remove the headlight selector switch. It has a different connector than earlier models but removes much the same way. With the lights off, push the selector in approximately an eighth of an inch the turn closkwise half and inch to disengage the switch prongs from the dash.

Pull the disengaged switch from the dash, unplug, and set aside in a safe place. Peek inside the opening for a look at the first of five T-20 coarse screws that attach the original dash piece.

Next, you'll need to expose the T-20 screws that attach each of the driver's lower dash pieces to the midline of the dash. Lower your steering column for better access and simply slide the center section of the lower gauge cluster bezel toward you to unclip it from the dash. You will see each of two T-20's, one on each side underneath.

Two down, three to go...

At the very bottom of the left side lower dash panel will be three more T-20's. Before removing them, pop off the fuse panel cover on the left side of the dash, facing the door. It simply pops out using the key/screwdriver access notch along it's bottom edge. Find the steel clipserts in the lower dash cover and pop them out for safekeeping. You may lose them as the lower dash comes away from the car in a moment.

Now remove each of the five T-20 screws that attach the lower left dash panel to the car. Carefully drop the panel and unplug the dimmer switch from the wiring harness.

Take the original panel to a clean workspace and compare it to your replacement panel.

First, notice that the original trim piece and dimmer need to be moved from the back of the original panel. Pop the trim out from the left by pressing the tab through the clipsert and then unhinging it from the right (looking at the inside). Cautiously unclip the dimmer rheostat from the original dash panel. Transfer both pieces to your new mini-glovebox lower dash and attach in reverse order.

Continue the comparison with the original piece. Notice the new piece attaches in three entirely new areas. Shockingly, you may already find the clipserts for these attachment points already under your dash! If not, simply slip the clipserts off the old locations and move them, flat side toward the new piece, to the corresponding new attachment points of the new piece.

Now it gets ugly...

That big ugly brute of a bracket is sitting there spoiling the fun. With him in the way, the new lower dash piece fits fine but its friendly little door has no room to close... much less attach. The bracket has to go. Hook up your T-30 and remove the five bolts below (bracket already removed for this photo):

Next, his friends have to go too. I had the assembly almost together twice, once each for the two brackets that have to come out.

The first is the tougher one. Spanning the dash under the steering column, the long bracket is attached with one T-30 bolt under the right side of the lower dash cover.

I first removed the T-20 from the top of the right side lower dash, up near the gauges.

Then I removed the two T-20s holding the bottom of the right side lower dash.

Without completely removing the lower right dash, I could reach to the lone T-30 and its clipsert to remove the longer right side bracket. It has a 10mm head which my Craftsman ratcheting boxwrench took care of neatly.

You may notice I not only removed the brackets bu the clipserts too. I do not want them creating new noises if at all possible so I've set them aside. If a T-30 bolt could be reattached, I did so on the possibility or returning the car to 'stock' in the future and recycling the original fasteners.

Finally, there is a small dogleg bracket on the extreme left of the dash. The 10mm ratcheting boxwrench also zipped this one off with a little eastern mysticism and correct alignment of the planets. Patience and luck make good tools for future mods.

These three bracket pieces may or may not be safety or structural components of the car. If you remove them to do as I have done, you assume all risks inheirent with such actions.

Reattach the drivers lower right side dash panel. All three T-20's go back in their original locations.

Go to your new drivers lower left dash cover and gently remove the clipserts for the fuse panel cover. They will get in the way when attaching the new panel and are easily inserted correctly afterwards.

Connect the wiring harness to the dimmer switch attached to the new panel.

Carefully align and attach the new piece using the two original T-20 screw locations from inside the lightswitch and next to the gauge cluster. Be sure to clip the inside lower right of the new panel into the clipsert in the dash frame. There are two guides molded into the new piece along the bottom that help the alignment come out correct; use them! Finally, recycle the the T-20 screws from the bottom edge of the original panel into the back (2) and top (1) of the mini-glovebox opening. You should have confirmed or already moved any clipserts neccessary to make a solid connection at these three points.

Insert the clipserts for the fuse panel cover.

Replace the fuse panel cover.

Replace the center section of the lower part of the instrument bezel. Tuck in the steering column dust cover if you need.

Reach up inside the mini-glovebox opening and thread the headlight switch wiring harness back through the switch opening. Reattach the lightswitch and press it back into the new dash piece until it clicks into place.

Align the mini-glovebox door to the new dash cover and press the open half of the hinge onto the rod spaces of the new dash cover. Carefully swing the door upward and click the retainers back past the dash cover to set the door in the open position.

Test the swing operation of the mini-glovebox door against the new dash...

With a bit of contorsion and some patience, you're the proud parent of an oem mini-glovebox! All your OEM+ show points are belong to Sco!

Modified by scotaku at 10:38 PM 4-5-2006

Modified by scotaku at 4:19 PM 5-9-2006

2. 04-05-2006 01:03 AM #2
      would be nice if the pics worked...

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      04-05-2006 01:03 AM #3
      photobucket fuxored your post up...

Vehicles
      '11 S4
      04-05-2006 01:04 AM #4
      I'm getting a lot of broken image links.

Fix it and we'll add it to the FAQ.

Vehicles
      '07 GTI APR Stg II RIP. '09 C63 AMG Kleemann Stg II & 19" staggered Kleemann MS11s.
      04-05-2006 01:31 AM #6
      Looks good for me Please sticky.

Wow....a disclaimer....what are you, an attorney?

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      04-05-2006 01:34 AM #7
      looks good now.

i imagine the disclaimer is for the retard that breaks his car and blames it on the thread's creator.

7. 04-05-2006 01:34 AM #8
      Nah, just cautious. And a little frustrated at Photobucket right now. :grr:

8. 04-05-2006 01:50 AM #9
      looks nice man, but seems like a lot of work for that little thing...

we shoudl have gotten these from the factory...

9. 04-05-2006 03:38 AM #10
      we get them factory here in Australia.

never used it though

SSS_Hoon

Vehicles
      7th VW... 8 others...
      04-05-2006 08:42 AM #11
      i believe you'll be getting them from the factory in 2007 MY GTI's here stateside too.
      =====
      ===== Mine: 2010 Black Golf TDI
      =====
      ===== His: 2006½ United Gray GTI
      =====

Vehicles
      2006 GLI, 2008 Rabbit
      04-05-2006 12:22 PM #12
      FAQ'd. Thanks for contributing!
      Ride In: 2006 Plat Grey GLI .:. 2008 Sage Green Rabbit
      Ride On: 2010 Trek 2.1 .:. 2011 Fisher Cobia
      On Reservation: 2015 Audi S3

Vehicles
      A4 B8 Avant S-Line. Garnet Red. Nav etc.
      04-05-2006 12:50 PM #13
      Great write-up.
      Fortunately, my Jetta came with the dash cubby as standard equipment.
      Cheers.
      If I wasn't here I would be somewhere else!

13. 04-05-2006 01:32 PM #14
      That would be a nice place to have the GIAC comp mounted. Flip it out, push, flip back.

14. Member
      04-05-2006 03:41 PM #15
      Cool! Very good write-up!

15. 04-05-2006 03:52 PM #16
      Thanks, all. The install time and complexity were way not what I was expecting. I thought it would be a drop and swap but then the evil bracketry appeared.

I've pinged a local MkV Jetta owner to see if she'll let me do some exploratory surgery in her dash. If there are brackets for the Jetta/GLI that restore any lost safety.structural integrity in the GTI, I will source them by part number and amend the writeup.

16. 04-05-2006 04:37 PM #17
      Quote, originally posted by scotaku »
      Thanks, all. The install time and complexity were way not what I was expecting. I thought it would be a drop and swap but then the evil bracketry appeared.

I've pinged a local MkV Jetta owner to see if she'll let me do some exploratory surgery in her dash. If there are brackets for the Jetta/GLI that restore any lost safety.structural integrity in the GTI, I will source them by part number and amend the writeup.

I would love to know if the Jetta has the same brackets or not before I start opening mine up to do the cubby install.

17. 04-05-2006 10:53 PM #18
      Finally a place to put your sunglasses, cause the overhead is waaayyy too small.

Vehicles
      2006 GLI, 2008 Rabbit
      04-05-2006 11:24 PM #19
      Quote, originally posted by Red-MkV-GTI »
      Finally a place to put your sunglasses, cause the overhead is waaayyy too small.

You must wear stunnah shades.

Vehicles
      2006 GTI DSG, 1988 Scirocco 16V, 2012 Golf R (on the list)
      04-06-2006 04:34 AM #20
      If you remove the 2 T-20 screws that hold the fusebox in, you can rotate it out of the way to get to the bolt for the left bracket much more easily. The right side bracket is still a pain though.
      2006 Tornado Red GTI DSG Pkg2 LED Tails Skoda BT RNS-510 MDI Euro GTI Springs R32 rear
      1988 Scirocco 16V 24 Hours of LeMons Race Car
      2012 Golf R on the way!
      Past VW/Audi - 73 Super Beetle Convertible 88 GTI 16V 01 S4 96 Cabrio 04 New Beetle Convertible 1.8T/6sp

Vehicles
      04-06-2006 11:49 AM #21
      Quote, originally posted by GTINC »

Hummmm. Would seem VW has no choice in the matter. They have to meet Fed requirements just like everyone else. So for USA cars, it's gone.

Well, they are in the Canadian Jetta models. I guess we don't have the same Fed requirements?

Cheers.

Vehicles
      '09 6MT Sportwagen TDI, '11 6MT Golf TDI
      04-06-2006 12:41 PM #22
      Quote, originally posted by GTINC »
      Hummmm. Would seem VW has no choice in the matter. They have to meet Fed requirements just like everyone else. So for USA cars, it's gone.

WTF would those have to do with any Federal requirements??

Vehicles
      2006 GLI, 2008 Rabbit
      04-06-2006 12:43 PM #23
      Quote, originally posted by VWYankee »

WTF would those have to do with any Federal requirements??

The only thing I can figure he's talking about is the metal knee pan that's behind the plastic cover. But, since I don't know if that has to be left out when installing this or not, I'm not sure if he's got a valid point.

23. 04-06-2006 12:57 PM #24
      That's what I figure too, but if the newer Jettas have it (my local source hasn't got it in her early car) then I'm willing to bet the kit can be retrofitted.

In an accident, I can visualize these brackets serving as a means to keep the drivers lower legs from intruding too far into the dash. They're just stout enough and attached in such a way that they'd almost certainly give way in an impact and absorb some energy. I can also imagine that helps keep the driver away from the much beefier stuff under the dash that wouldn't be as forgiving to the driver.

Like I implied removing these for this mod almost guarantees a warranty denial for anything related to this part of the car... or perhaps total denial by an overzealous service manager, so you use the information of your own free will. However, if I can successfully retrofit any newer Jetta pieces to compliment the mini-box mod for the GTI, I think I can demonstrate that I've preserved the integrity of the car and not bounced the warranty. It'll still be on my head though with my own car so the same disclaimer still applies.

24. 04-06-2006 11:55 PM #25
      Sco, have you seen a late-2006 MY Jettas with the cubby? Is that a rumor? I'm wondering if the GLI I ordered last week will have it when it finally gets here freakin' ages from now...

Sorry, sometimes my lack of patience gets the best of me.

Modified by vwtaco at 8:56 PM 4-6-2006

25. 04-07-2006 10:15 AM #26
      Mine's a 2006.5 and it doesn't have it. If it does appear, it'll be on the 07s.

Vehicles
      04-07-2006 10:53 AM #27
      My Jetta was built on March 10/06 and it has the cubby installed.
      Cheers.

27. 04-07-2006 01:28 PM #28
      This came as standard equipment on our GTI......good write up none the less though

28. 04-07-2006 04:25 PM #29
      Quote, originally posted by vwtaco »
      Sco, have you seen a late-2006 MY Jettas with the cubby? Is that a rumor? I'm wondering if the GLI I ordered last week will have it when it finally gets here freakin' ages from now...

Sorry, sometimes my lack of patience gets the best of me.

No, I have not seen it with my own eyes on a US Jetta nor GLI. Judging by the responses here, it's the Europeans, Canadians, and Aussies that get it stock... adding to my suspicion that these brackets are a US safety thing.

I've put the call out to our outside-the-US friends for some assistance in gathering the part numbers. I'm willing to buy them and try them in my car if they actually exist. If so, I'd lobby the retailers to make them a part of a retrofit kit in the name of safety continuity.

29. 04-08-2006 05:59 AM #30
      Quote, originally posted by Red-MkV-GTI »

I hope you sunglasses fold in half, as I dont think they wil fit. Mine don't, but they fit in thr sungasses holder.

30. Banned
      04-08-2006 10:41 AM #31
      So much trouble for a useless feature that one never uses !!!!

31. 04-09-2006 04:44 PM #32
      #scotaku holsters the gun he was holding to you head to make you read it... twit

32. 04-09-2006 05:08 PM #33
      Although plenty of places Do have "Easy Pass" many other areas of the country with toll roads do not. So having a nice place to store loosee change for tolls is nice....or perhaps if you are only an occasional visitior to LI NY with the many bridge tolls...

33. 04-09-2006 06:05 PM #34
      At the vancouver autoshow, I found a key for a passat hidden in one of these cubbies

34. 04-09-2006 07:02 PM #35
      Quote, originally posted by madddskillz »
      At the vancouver autoshow, I found a key for a passat hidden in one of these cubbies

Haa little known detailers/lot guys secret hiding place....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast