Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen Bringing Rabbit Nameplate Back

1. 04-12-2006 01:51 AM #151
      from vw website

2. 04-12-2006 01:52 AM #152
      Also, I find it funny that nobody saw this coming - with the whole "fast" campaign being a rabbit and all.

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI 4DR MT6 SB 1989 AW11 MR2 4AGE 150whp 2250lbs
      04-12-2006 01:56 AM #153
      Quote, originally posted by mtrainTurbo »
      YAY!!!!
      This can only mean one thing: The next press release we read is VW's announcement that they are pulling out of the US market, which at this point i feel they RICHLY deserve.
      I sold VWs....You could name the Golf a Bentley and it still wouldn't sell. Wanna know why? Its as interesting as 2 day old bread. No one is interested in a bread van looking vehicle when they can get a Scion, or a Yaris hatch, or SOMETHING with some style to it. Years ago, the Golf hung its hat on quality. I think we can dispell that myth....that ship set sail years ago when the last MkIIs were sold.
      Volkswagen, what, exactly, are you offering? THe price is a GREAT start, but you need to spice up the product, and slapping on a tired, laughable nameplate from the late 70s is NOT going to engender you to the new hipsters.
      The GTI was such a promising move, and the rest of the lineup is a disaster.
      Good bye, VW. May you regain some of your dignity in absence, like Alfa does.

Theyre offering a highly engineered german ride. And that's something. Quality was never a chief selling point IIRC, at least not in terms of "JD Powers" and such. Too bad the marketing morons can't figure out how to sell German engineering properly.

4. 04-12-2006 01:57 AM #154
      Quote, originally posted by kerosenec4 »
      Also, I find it funny that nobody saw this coming - with the whole "fast" campaign being a rabbit and all.

as my friend said... atleast the new GTI isnt named Rabbit GTI

5. 04-12-2006 02:01 AM #155
      Quote, originally posted by Maverik869 »
      as my friend said... atleast the new GTI isnt named Rabbit GTI

Who says the next year's model won't be?
      I don't know why you people think this is so bad. I've never seen such an irrational, emotional response from the car lounge.

6. 04-12-2006 02:02 AM #156
      i like the idea.
      i don't know why everybody's crying heresy just because they're bringing the name back.

04-12-2006 02:06 AM #157
      one cool thing is that it may make my 2nd mk1 increase slightly in value when i sell it after the other is on the road - thanks to vw's new marketing campaign, w00t!

8. 04-12-2006 03:53 AM #158
      I'm not going to quote them but I think the photos above are the worst press photos I've ever seen. They kind of look like they're from Ssanyong or Zhonghua or something like that.
      Aside from that I'm okay with Rabbit coming back especially since they won't be printing RABBIT on the back of the cars.
      I wish they would bring the 1.4TSI or whatever it's called (the twincharged one) over. I would love a 40 mpg 170 hp DSG model... much more than the Polo even.

Vehicles
      '04 VW Golf R32, '01 Mazda Miata LS, '14 Mazda 3i Touring
      04-12-2006 04:12 AM #159
      Quote, originally posted by gotta_jet »
      i like the idea.
      i don't know why everybody's crying heresy just because they're bringing the name back.

x2
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      I often pass slow-moving Priuii on the right, my engine clubbing 9000 baby seals per minute while I do so.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      04-12-2006 05:35 AM #160
      It's okay with me. They could call it the Mangled Baby Duck and I don't care so long as it's a quality piece.
      Do you enjoy old cars and long-winded stories about them? If your answer is "yes", then you might enjoy my blogpage. Try it here: http://vwlarry.blogspot.com . Leave a comment, too; I love feedback! Thanx for reading.

“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.” - Aristotle

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike
      04-12-2006 08:06 AM #161
      Quote, originally posted by vwlarry »
      They could call it the Mangled Baby Duck and I don't care so long as it's a quality piece.

I believe you mean balut.
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, Den Mother - Team Emmett

Vehicles
      1990 Olds Delta 88, 1986 Pontiac Parisienne Safari
      04-12-2006 08:09 AM #162
      I'm amazed that so many people are upset about this. I'm not a VW fan, but I thought it was great news the second I saw it.
      Apparently VW has finally realized that their upscale move is not working and they need to go back to offering real affordable vehicles. I hope they succeed at it, and take the last 5 years as a lesson learned.
      -Andrew L
      "The whole economy is hinged on potholes." --Ray Magliozzi
      Hubcap Business on hiatus while I finish the Pontiac Project and The House | Philly/NJ highways blog Windshield Time

13. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI Autobahn, 2007 Mini Cooper S
      04-12-2006 08:12 AM #163
      Quote, originally posted by rimtrim »
      I'm amazed that so many people are upset about this. I'm not a VW fan, but I thought it was great news the second I saw it.
      Apparently VW has finally realized that their upscale move is not working and they need to go back to offering real affordable vehicles. I hope they succeed at it, and take the last 5 years as a lesson learned.

I agree, and I bet the Rabbit will sell quite nicely.

14. 04-12-2006 08:23 AM #164
      While $14,990 is a good starting price how many here REALLY think VWoA is gonna have more than a HANDFUL of these even close to this price????
      VWoA had better have planned to bring a LOT of these base models to market FIRST. Bringing the LOADED models first (aka the Jetta intro) will totally undermine the whole "more affordable" theme for this base model.
      People that will buy this model had better be in for a RUDE AWAKENING when it comes to the cost of maintenance on a VW. People buying the base model are not going to like $60-$80 synthetic oil changes or wipers that cost an arm and a leg or EXPENSIVE brake jobs, etc. They are buying on price and want the maintenance costs to be in line with the "more affordable" purchase price.
      I can't wait to see the prices for the "Packages" that will be available on this model. One has to wonder if adding just one package to this base price will not take the cost over $20K in a heartbeat.
      Anyone else catch the 4 year "Unlimited Mileage" Roadside assistance?
      VWoA should have taken it a step further and made the actual warranty 4 years Unlimited Mileage. Then maybe VW owners would not want to dump their VWs like some current VW owners are dumping their's as soon as they go out of warranty (ie over 50K miles).
      Charlie

'80 VW Rabbit "C" - 81 VW Pickup - '85 VW Golf - 1987 GTI 16V - 2002 New Beetle - 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4, 5.7L V8
      Visit the Unofficial GTI 16V Home Page at www.gti16v.org

15. 04-12-2006 08:27 AM #165
      I guess the term "Ph(F)at Rabbit" just got a whole new meaning... Wonder if Ludacris will get royalties for every VW Rabbit Sold...
      Anyways, I thought VW's targeted market for new vehicles was the young mid 20s to mid 30s crowd... people with a little bit of cash in hand and wanting an intro luxury german product. However, with the new ad campaign for the 24+k$ GTi aimed at the younger tuner crowd, and the new ad campaign for the 15+k$ Rabbit aimed at those who can remember what the Mk1 Rabbit is and its ride/handling/abilities, I cant help but to think that VW's dropped the ball on the targeted audience.

Vehicles
      '91 Ford Ranger,'04 R32-sold, '92 500E-sold, '75 Honda CL360
      04-12-2006 08:27 AM #166
      Quote, originally posted by mtrainTurbo »
      Big F'in Deal!!! Especially when I can get a Scion tC for about the same price, an xB and cash to save, and some very nice 1 year old used cars with less than 5K on them.
      ANY of them would get me more excited than the Go, er, Rabbit.

Figures a guy driving a Focus would get excited by a Scion Tc and Xb. You don't like VW's...we get it, now get over it. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      '92 500E, '91 Ranger
      Disney villa in Bahama Bay Resort & Spa - rent directly from me - 2bd/2bth - sleeps 6 - will beat rate from resort, orbitz, etc and you'll get my unit in BEST spot within resort. I use on-site mgmt company so pay upon check-in....easy peasy. IM for detailed pics.

17. 04-12-2006 08:31 AM #167
      Quote, originally posted by Chucifer »
      Anyways, I thought VW's targeted market for new vehicles was the young mid 20s to mid 30s crowd... people with a little bit of cash in hand and wanting an intro luxury german product. However, with the new ad campaign for the 24+k$ GTi aimed at the younger tuner crowd, and the new ad campaign for the 15+k$ Rabbit aimed at those who can remember what the Mk1 Rabbit is and its ride/handling/abilities, I cant help but to think that VW's dropped the ball on the targeted audience.

Volkswagen has the Jetta, the Passat, and the now-departed Phaeton for the Generation Xers.

Vehicles
      XW30, NA, V227, Bluestar (preordered)
      04-12-2006 08:32 AM #168
      Quote, originally posted by vwlarry »
      It's okay with me. They could call it the Mangled Baby Duck and I don't care so long as it's a quality piece.

I want a Mangled Baby Duck R32, please
      "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."
      - Doctor Who (Fourth Doctor) "Face of Evil"

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      04-12-2006 08:34 AM #169
      Much ado over nothing. Moreover, in the long run, this naming of the new car will most likely do good things for VW. "Golf", no matter how we here feel about it, just did NOT have the right "ring" to it for most ordinary Americans.
      Additionally, think of this. What better way to set this new VW apart from the pack, and call attention to it, than to eschew the alphanumeric gobbledeegook names, or the predatory-sounding names that most cars today carry? Many people are beginning to long for "friendlier" times, and the "Rabbit" name just sounds "friendly". We'll see.

Modified by vwlarry at 8:35 AM 4-12-2006
      Do you enjoy old cars and long-winded stories about them? If your answer is "yes", then you might enjoy my blogpage. Try it here: http://vwlarry.blogspot.com . Leave a comment, too; I love feedback! Thanx for reading.

“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.” - Aristotle

20. 04-12-2006 08:42 AM #170
      As a former owner of an 84 Rabbit, I'll say this: Golf was the DUMBEST NAME EVER created on the planet for a car. OK, maybe not, but damned close.
      Yes, I know that the "Rabbit" name was for the US market only. But that fact is that they should have stayed with Rabbit and dropped the Golf name back in '85.
      What the eff does Golf have to do with a car? Huh? What? NOTHING. GOLF = BORING.
      Is the average age of the TV viewing audience for the game of Golf the same as the age of people buying a Golf hatchback? NO. FRIGGIN' NO. NADA. NOT EVEN CLOSE.
      Rabbit connotes quick, rapid, fast moving, wascally, fun, etc. It's a GREAT name for a car!
      So, yes, this is a genius move, except about 20 years too late.

Modified by adoniram7 at 1:45 PM 4-12-2006
      "None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me."

Vehicles
      Current: '15 Mustang GT, '11 Accord EX, '06 GTI MkV
      04-12-2006 08:49 AM #171
      They should of went with Hasenfeffer
      If they come out with a good marketing campaign they'll probably sell well.

22. Banned
      04-12-2006 08:57 AM #172
      Quote, originally posted by Oliver@triplezoom »
      I agree, and I bet the Rabbit will sell quite nicely.

I'm one of the bigger "VW haters" on this forum but I don't see a problem with this at all. It's no different than VWAG bringing back the Jetta nameplate for the MkV and that's been dead in that market since 1992.
      My friend had a Rabbit, he beat the hell out of that thing, and it still ran.

23. 04-12-2006 08:59 AM #173
      Rabbit would have been a great name for the North American version of the Polo. Small, light and nimble are great attributes for a city car.
      The MkV Golf is too big to be called a rabbit, and they should have kept the Golf name (or get rid of the Golf altogether and introduce the Polo as their new entry level car)

Vehicles
      2013 Golf R 6MT, 2014 Camaro SS vert 6MT
      04-12-2006 09:03 AM #174
      Cool, my first VW was a taxi-colored 1984 Westmoreland built Rabbit L 4-dr with AC and intermittent wipers. It died in Germany.
      I saw a MkII Golf in Austria with the Rabbit placard on it, perhaps 1991 or 1992. Hmmm, maybe it was MkIII by then in Europe.....
      Car ownership summary:
      3 VWs, 5 BMWs, 5 Audis, a Corvette and a Camaro vert, all manual except one.
      A couple of the Audis were mildly interesting.
      (Oh, and Chrysler 300 AWD... where'd that come from?)
      Time for a VW again: Mk VI Golf R 6MT --> Couldn't wait for a MkVII MT

25. 04-12-2006 09:04 AM #175
      Quote, originally posted by charlier »
      While $14,990 is a good starting price how many here REALLY think VWoA is gonna have more than a HANDFUL of these even close to this price????

to be fair, i've seen quite a few base (pkg 0) gti's

For advertising information click HERE

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast