VWVortex.com - A/C Delete
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A/C Delete

1. 04-16-2006 03:38 PM #1
      I am at my wit's end with my friggin ac condensor. This past week, the bolts holding the condensor to the cracket snapped and now the only thing holding it on there are the tensioner bolts. Can I just buy a pulley from a non-ac, non-power steering cabbie and throw it on the alternator? If so, where can I get one?
      Please help meeeee

2. 04-16-2006 04:22 PM #2
      There is a how-to on cabbyinfo.com. I'm sure there is a simpler way to do it if you also wan't to get rid of your p/s. Let me know how it goes, I'm getting ready to do the same thing.

3. 04-16-2006 06:51 PM #3
      You should be able to figure it out. Get rid of the AC comrpessor first of all.
      Just today I put an AC alternator into my non-AC Cabby. Fit perfectly.
      The lower mounting bracket should be built into the head and will fit just about any alternator. The upper mounting brackets have a couple different configurations, but you can swap things in and out to make it work.
      The biggest pain is the a$$ will be removing the AC mounting bracket and depending on your setup, the power steering bracket might get in the way.
      But basically, If you can mount the Alt securely, and the v belt tension is correct, you can mount it however you want.
      If you need a longer/shorter pulley, try the junkyard. Or get one on the ol' internet.. ive seen them for cheap.

4. 04-16-2006 07:02 PM #4
      Well, I won't have to worry about the power steering, because i don't have it. I just have a/c. Thanks for the help. Where did you see online I can get a non-a/c alternator pulley?

Vehicles
      '95 Ranger, '74 Gitane Pista
      04-16-2006 08:44 PM #5
      You have all the pulley you need, don't go throwing money at some aftermarket specialty part if you don't have to.
      Just completely remove the compressor, then the complete bracket that the compressor mounts to. Re-install the alternator in the same place the top of that bracket used to mount, you are almost done.
      You'll need shorter bolts to hold the coolant pump to the block, that's pretty easy.
      At the parts store, ask for a belt for an '85 Golf without A/C.
      Are you done yet??
      Quote Originally Posted by kamzcab86
      I hate reading: "But I bought this car for $500 and don't want to put another dime into it."
      ____(hey, it's VW AND it's electrical, what's not to fail?) neoBentley+

6. 04-16-2006 09:46 PM #6
      I'm a little unsure of what you mean by "Re-install the alternator in the same place the top of that bracket used to mount"... and "You'll need shorter bolts to hold the coolant pump to the block, that's pretty easy." Could you please clarify? Thanks

Vehicles
      04-16-2006 10:10 PM #7

At the top of the compressor bracket, see the bolt with the pointy end, the point pointing to the driver's side of the car? Get the whole bracket out of the way, mount the alternator on that pointy ended bolt.
      As you unbolt the lower part of the bracket, you'll see that 3 or all four (I don't remember, look at yours) of the bolts that hold the compressor bracket to the block also pass through and hold on the coolant pump. Once the compressor bracket is removed, the bolts will be way too long to hold the coolant pump, you'll need shorter bolts. The bolts will need to be the thickness of the bracket shorter. As near as I can tell from ETKA, the two top bolts should be 8 x 1.25 x 30 mm, the two lowers 8 x 1.25 x 50 mm.
      Here's hoping your compressor bracket is like the one pictured, if not, show yours, eh?

I hate reading: "But I bought this car for $500 and don't want to put another dime into it."

8. 04-17-2006 09:44 PM #8
      Well, I finally decided that I'm just gonna remove the a/c compressor and upsidedown rainbow bracket... but here is my delema, I would then need a "longer" pulley that would run off the crank pulley and water pump for the alternator and I would also need a different belt. Does anyone have any ideas as to where I can get just the "longer" pulley for the alternator? And possibly what size belt I would need after deleting the a/c compressor?

Vehicles
      04-17-2006 09:49 PM #9
      Please, tell what is an "upsidedown rainbow bracket?

10. 04-17-2006 10:12 PM #10
      first of all, what tolusina said to do will work, OR heres what i did.
      i got an alt pulley off an 82 rabbit vert with A/C... it's longer, sticks out more.
      i put the 82 vert pulley on my 89 alt, it lines up with the pulley on the crank, the water pump pulley and the P/S pulley.
      so now all you need is one belt to run everything, and that belt is 42.5 inches long.
      if ya need a pic i can post one.

Vehicles
      04-17-2006 10:38 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by tolusina »

Here's what the alternator pivot looks like when it is bolted in place of the top of the compressor mount bracket.

12. 04-18-2006 03:36 PM #12
      Thanks for the info... but I would only need the belt to go around the alternator crank and water pulley because I don't have power steering... do you happen to know what the length would be then?

Vehicles
      04-18-2006 04:16 PM #13
      Quote, originally posted by dubbinitsins86 »
      Thanks for the info... but I would only need the belt to go around the alternator crank and water pulley because I don't have power steering... do you happen to know what the length would be then?

My '92 ended up running a 10 X 950, crank, coolant pump and alternator.
      Power steering has it's own belt, drives straight from the crank, nothing in common with the alternator and coolant pump.

14. 04-18-2006 09:10 PM #14
      Thanks again for all your input. It looks like I'm gonna be busy this weekend.

15. 04-19-2006 06:17 PM #15
      FINALLY... this afternoon I finally fixed all my belt and a/c problems. I started off the morning by cutting some of the hoses and taking out the condensor in front of the radiator. After class I took out the compressor and the bracket. Then, something magical happend, when I put the alternator back in the belt that used to go around the water pump, crank and a/c fit perfect around the new setup. Here are the links to the pics of the car as it stands now. Thank you to everyone and their help. Cheers.
      http://i73.photobucket.com/alb...9.jpg
      http://i73.photobucket.com/alb...4.jpg
      http://i73.photobucket.com/alb...3.jpg
      http://i73.photobucket.com/alb...e.jpg
      http://i73.photobucket.com/alb...5.jpg

16. 04-23-2006 03:33 PM #16
      page three bump. i''m having some trouble with this now.
      Quote, originally posted by 1lowcab »
      i got an alt pulley off an 82 rabbit vert with A/C... it's longer, sticks out more.
      i put the 82 vert pulley on my 89 alt, it lines up with the pulley on the crank, the water pump pulley and the P/S pulley.

How did you do this? The shaft on the '82 alternator (atleast on mine) is a lot longer than the shaft on my '86 alternator, and the long pulley (from the '82) would never bolt on (to the shaft of the '86).
      If i were to bolt up the '82 alternator to the block, everything would line-up just fine. (it's a different style alternator, though - different wire hook ups)

17. 04-23-2006 04:34 PM #17
      it'll fit, the pulleys are the same thickness metal and the same diameter hole. all i did was un-bolt my 89 pulley and slide on the 82 pulley.
      heres some pics of what i'm running. no A/C, no P/S. and i know, the motor is VERY dirty!

Vehicles
      04-23-2006 06:19 PM #18
      Quote, originally posted by dubbinitsins86 »
      FINALLY... this afternoon I finally fixed all my belt and a/c problems. ..........

In this pic,
      http://i73.photobucket.com/alb...3.jpg
      it looks like you've not bolted the bottom of the coolant pump back on. Even though that area of the pic is not sharply focused, still, it looks like no bolt heads there.
      Bolt sizes are listed above.

Vehicles
      04-23-2006 06:23 PM #19
      Quote, originally posted by 1lowcab »

The belt looks off line in this photo, looks it in the first photo too. Pulley looks too long.
      Can you show a pic of how you bolted the alternator to the block please?

20. 04-23-2006 09:54 PM #20
      alt is in stock location using all stock mounting points. and the belt is DEAD-on, i checked, re-checked and triple-checked, straight line all the way round.

21. 01-30-2007 09:46 AM #21
      anything new on this problem? I have a 1986 that someone started a conversion to non-ac (removed compressor) but then tried to stretch a v-belt from the crank pulley to the alternator- rubs on timing chain cover- so belt makes noise and doesn't last long. Any suggestions?
      thanks

Vehicles
      87 Cabriolet, 85 Cabriolet, 90 JettaGL
      01-30-2007 09:52 AM #22
      I posted a how-to late last year. I think you'll find all the info you need there.
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2879839

Modified by Moljinar at 10:08 AM 1-30-2007

Vehicles
      2013 Fiat 500 Turbo
      01-30-2007 10:09 AM #23
      Just as an FYI, the 1.7L has a totally different bracket and mounting setup and the process is different...
      I'll post pics in a few weeks after we get the ABA Serpentine setup installed [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

24. Member
      Vehicles
      '97 Golf (sold), '82 Rabbit 'vert, '92 Jetta VRT, '01 BMW 325i wagon
      01-30-2007 02:55 PM #24
      Yup, very different on the factory AC, non-PS cars, like mine. I ended up hacking up my bracket adn using a modified small block Chevy alternator arm to tension. Still using a stock belt. Another thing to take pics of this evening.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      '97 Golf (sold), '82 Rabbit 'vert, '92 Jetta VRT, '01 BMW 325i wagon
      01-31-2007 09:56 AM #25
      Factory A/C delete w/the beyotch master bracket after some hacking with an air cutoff. Adjuster arm is for a small block Chevy V8. Cost was just under $10, wish I'd have had done for the ghetto mod contest:

Modified by YJSAABMAN at 6:48 PM 1-31-2007

Modified by YJSAABMAN at 6:49 PM 1-31-2007

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast