Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: OT...How much does an Audi Mechanic make an hour, on average.

1. 04-20-2006 01:09 AM #1
      Just curious what they get paid compared to what the shops charge.

Josh

2. 04-20-2006 01:17 AM #2
      a guy with a few certs just starting out may be around $20, someone like me that is master certified with A8/A6/Q7 cert is in the $35 area.

3. 04-20-2006 01:34 AM #3
      Quote, originally posted by AudiMechanic »
      a guy with a few certs just starting out may be around $20, someone like me that is master certified with A8/A6/Q7 cert is in the $35 area.

Man no wonder they all leave and open their own shops.

4. 04-20-2006 01:34 AM #4
      Thanks

5. 04-20-2006 01:45 AM #5
      costs too much to open a shop. not worth the effort. I dont want to deal with customers. They guys that open their own shops cant work the system. These are guys that will typically make 40-50 hours a week. We work off of somthing based like comissions, the more you work the more money you get.

Most techs that stick with it and get to the master level make $120k+ a year without breaking a sweat.

6. 04-20-2006 01:59 AM #6
      you'd need to make alot more than that w/ your stable of cars.

7. 04-20-2006 02:23 AM #7
      But I do break a sweat...

With the house paid off, one kid just moved out, the other out soon, the wife making killer money, and past good investments I do ok. Youd be amazed if you knew how cheap I get my cars for...

Bottom line is that its just like any other profession. There are lots of guys that make really really good money. Mojority of the techs out there in dealerships make decent livings.

Modified by AudiMechanic at 10:27 PM 4-19-2006

8. 04-20-2006 11:17 AM #8
      costs too much to open a shop. not worth the effort. I dont want to deal with customers. They guys that open their own shops cant work the system. These are guys that will typically make 40-50 hours a week. We work off of somthing based like comissions, the more you work the more money you get.

Most techs that stick with it and get to the master level make $120k+ a year without breaking a sweat.

wow, that's a lot higher than i expected.

9. 04-21-2006 12:59 PM #9

Very few get to this level of money and it will take years to make it to master level. Most master techs make about $35 an hour on average, so he would have to flag at least 65 to 75 hours per week at his rate to make 120k before taxes. If he is an Audi master he WILL be breaking a sweat because Audi warranty doesn't pay very well and there simply isn't enough Audi's to support the customer pay. If he was an Lexus or Toyota master then maybe.

It took me 15 years to reach Porsche Premier level, my best year I made about 90k...this was in 1997 and 1998 when Porsche dealers where so busy with the Boxster.

Now I have my own shop...I work twice the hours and get paid allot less but it is totally worth it! I wouldn't do it any other way.

Vehicles
      A4 2002 - A4q 2011 more cars too
      04-21-2006 11:50 PM #10
      Audimechanic: I hear ya. I was a tech after Porsche+Audi Apprentice training in Illinois in 1976. I got out of the business because number one, I went rallying, but couldn't deal with the customer and the way the service writers fed a line of BS.

Now I am a white collar guy, director as a matter of fact and spent a butload of $$$ in college, and haven't seen a year like you have had.

Do I regret it, no, I don't, but if I get canned, and the way things are going here in Detroilet, I may have to join you again

Congratulations, I am actulally GLAD to hear that you have done well....and can I assume you too had to work on the fine 100LS???

11. 04-23-2006 03:54 PM #11
      I miss the days of working on those early cars. They were so much simpler how they were put together, not like cramming 10lbs of crap into a 5 lbs bag like they build the cars now.

12. 04-23-2006 04:44 PM #12
      I miss the days of working on those early cars. They were so much simpler how they were put together, not like cramming 10lbs of crap into a 5 lbs bag like they build the cars now.

Do you have any pics of your cars?

Josh

13. 04-24-2006 02:49 AM #13
      +1 ^

2004 Porsche 996 Turbo S? Porsche dealers began selling 996 Turbo S in August of 2004 as part 2005 model line-up...Porsche press release below.

ATLANTA, GA, May 20, 2004 – Porsche today announced it is extending its 911 range to include the 911 Turbo S. The new model will be available as both a Coupe and a Cabriolet and will go on sale in August 2004. The Turbo S is based on the 2004 911 Turbo and will join the all-new 911 Carrera and Carrera S in the 2005 model year line-up. Just last week Porsche released the first details and photos of the new-generation 911 models.

The 2005 911 Turbo S, with power from the 3.6 twin-turbocharged horizontally opposed flat-six cylinder engine, produces 444 HP (SAE) and 457 lb.-ft. of torque between 3,500 and 4,500 rpm, up from 415 HP (SAE) and 415 lb.-ft. in the 911 Turbo. The Turbo S has a maximum track-speed of 190 mph (307 km/h) and accelerates from a standing start to 124 mph (200 km/h) in just 13.6 seconds, 0.8 seconds quicker than the 911 Turbo.

Standard equipment on the 911 Turbo S includes further developed Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes (PCCB®). The internally ventilated ceramic discs have a diameter of 13.78 inches, both front and back. The front brakes use six-piston monobloc fixed callipers rather than the four-piston version used on the 911 Turbo. Ceramic composite brake discs provide a 50-percent weight savings compared to conventional metal discs. This reduces unsprung weight, enhances shock absorber response and vehicle handling. In addition to the Turbo S logo on the rear lid and on door mouldings and centre console, the Turbo S is identified by its 18-inch wheels painted in “GT silver metallic” with colored Porsche crests. Other standard features include cruise control, a six CD changer system and a green-tinted band at the top of the windscreen. Also for this new model, special dark olive metallic paint is a no-cost option.

Inside, the Turbo S features aluminium gauge faces and a Turbo S logo on the tachometer. Optional special leather is available on the seats, steering wheel, shift lever and hand brake lever.

Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA), based in Atlanta, Ga., and its subsidiary, Porsche Cars Canada, Ltd., are the exclusive importers of Porsche sports cars and Cayenne sport utility vehicles for the United States and Canada. A wholly-owned, indirect subsidiary of Dr. Ing. h.c.F. Porsche AG, PCNA employs approximately 250 people who provide Porsche vehicles, parts, service, marketing and training for its 204 U.S. and Canadian dealers. They, in turn, provide Porsche owners with best-in-class service.

Modified by Rob@Redline at 11:59 PM 4-23-2006

Modified by Rob@Redline at 12:01 AM 4-24-2006

14. 04-25-2006 02:10 AM #14
      By VIN its a 2004, build on the plate is a 2004, original window sticker is 2005. But also by the VIN its a C4. I dont know what the deal is, but there are CGT's that are boxters by VIN.

The only pictures I have are of them at my work, im keeping it hush hush where i work.