Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen iPod Guide

1. 09-13-2007 11:48 AM #141
      Just to let all you crazy up to date people with iPhones...

These kits do work to allow ipod control on the phone, and do not throw error messages on the phone.

I have a Kenwood deck in my 2001 GLX that throws a "not recognized accesory connected" code. These kits just use the audio, and allow all control as long as the kits don't make you have to play playlists like the factory kit.

2. 09-20-2007 12:30 AM #142
      This is a great thread - thanks to all who have contributed here. I have been looking for this information for quite a while.

Though I have gone through this whole thread, just to be safe, I would like to ask my specific q. here :

I have a Passat 2006 with factory installed XM/in-dash 6 cd changer/CD player. I am not sure this has an 12-pin AUX connector in the glove compt as I haven't checked, but I believe it does.

I need to get my 1st-gen ipod (yeah...that ancient!) working with it.

What would you suggest as the cheapest way to connect it ? I probably wont get a device which allows control from the HU since this ipod only has a firewire port, but thats fine.

Also will it disable the XM radio and/or the CD-changer ?

Thanks !!

Modified by kujain at 8:32 PM 9-19-2007

3. 09-20-2007 11:16 AM #143
      Went thru all 5-pages and couldn't find this combo:

'04 New Beetle convertible with Monsoon cassette HU and armrest mounted OEM 6 disk CD changer.

I want to keep the changer and put the iPod in the glove box.

In case ur wondering, I'm keeping this HU because NO ONE IN THE WORLD WOULD WANT TO STEAL IT.

4. 09-23-2007 02:14 AM #144
      Hi, I read through the entire thread but didn't see exactly what I wanted/needed mentioned. Here's the application I want:

I've got an iPod Touch on order. After 3.5 years with a 3G iPod and Griffin iTrip, i want a wired connection. I have a 1998 New Beetle with a CD changer in the trunk. Here's my needs:

-Price: Under $100 if at all possible
      -would like to connect to CD changer connection in the trunk and run the wire up to the front passenger cupholder...Don't want to remove the radio! Don't want to drill any holes.
      -Don't care about controlling anything from the radio..will keep all control on iPod Touch.
      -Don't care about retaining CD changer (seeing as I could always plug it back in)

Essentially, I want to uplug the CD changer (but leave it mounted in case I want to plug it back in), plug in a cable and run the cable to the front, and go. No frills needed. Oh, and obviously it needs to work with the Touch, though I don't know why it wouldn't.

Thanks for your help...this thread has already gotten me started down the right path!

5. 09-26-2007 03:16 PM #145
      Quote, originally posted by Billsbug »

'04 New Beetle convertible with Monsoon cassette HU and armrest mounted OEM 6 disk CD changer.

In case ur wondering, I'm keeping this HU because NO ONE IN THE WORLD WOULD WANT TO STEAL IT.

BUMPPPP!!!!

6. 09-26-2007 06:44 PM #146
      Quote, originally posted by Cameron_Talley »
      Hi, I read through the entire thread but didn't see exactly what I wanted/needed mentioned. Here's the application I want:

I've got an iPod Touch on order. After 3.5 years with a 3G iPod and Griffin iTrip, i want a wired connection. I have a 1998 New Beetle with a CD changer in the trunk. Here's my needs:

-Price: Under $100 if at all possible
      -would like to connect to CD changer connection in the trunk and run the wire up to the front passenger cupholder...Don't want to remove the radio! Don't want to drill any holes.
      -Don't care about controlling anything from the radio..will keep all control on iPod Touch.
      -Don't care about retaining CD changer (seeing as I could always plug it back in)

Essentially, I want to uplug the CD changer (but leave it mounted in case I want to plug it back in), plug in a cable and run the cable to the front, and go. No frills needed. Oh, and obviously it needs to work with the Touch, though I don't know why it wouldn't.

Thanks for your help...this thread has already gotten me started down the right path!

you'll need this:

Blitzsafe mlink

and

the extension cable to run the cable from the trunk up

7. 09-26-2007 06:47 PM #147
      Quote, originally posted by Billsbug »

you'll want to use this:

Dension Gateway 400

Vehicles
      84 Jetta GLI; 13 Jetta TDI
      09-26-2007 08:45 PM #148
      im looking for some info. i've got an 07 rabbit with premium in dash 6 cd changer... i'm looking for an integration kit that will charge the ipod & still be able to control via the clickwheel & the HU. also, what happens to the in dash changer? will i loose operation of it or one of the "cds". my car is equipped with an aux in.

9. 09-27-2007 12:08 PM #149
      Quote, originally posted by John@enfig »

you'll want to use this:

Dension Gateway 400

Sammy Davis Jesus!

How come everyone else gets hooked up with adapters priced between 49.99-149.99 and mine's 299.99?

10. 09-29-2007 01:01 AM #150
      Quote, originally posted by John@enfig »

you'll need this:

Blitzsafe mlink

and

the extension cable to run the cable from the trunk up

Thanks, I think that looks exactly like what I want....Do you (or anyone else) know if it still works with the new iPod Touch, though? Or maybe the iPhone, since they are so similar....Thanks againf for the help!

11. 09-29-2007 07:28 AM #151
      Guys,

I have just been given an Neo iOn Ipod connector with a VW head unit lead.

The connector is identical to the blue plug in the picture above, can you tell me what my unit is compatable with please

Thanks, Gavinl

12. 10-03-2007 05:46 PM #152
      Quote, originally posted by Cameron_Talley »

Thanks, I think that looks exactly like what I want....Do you (or anyone else) know if it still works with the new iPod Touch, though? Or maybe the iPhone, since they are so similar....Thanks againf for the help!

the blitzsafe is compatable with both the iphone, and the ipod touch

10-04-2007 01:19 PM #153
      Sent you an IM John

14. 10-09-2007 12:43 PM #154
      Greetings,

I just bought a 2002.5 Jetta (Mk IV) which has a double-din monsoon with steering wheel controls

I need to add an ipod interface.

I use both Gen 5 ipod and an iphone

My needs are as follows:

I must be able to control the ipod from the ipod itself (podcasts are not in playlists, so most on-headunit interfaces don't work well)

I would like to use the steering-wheel controls for ffwd/rewind and or next/previous track (I can live without that) but I don't want them to do anything with playlists

I want to use the dock connector/aux out, not the headphone jack. The ipod/iphone should charge as well (5v or 12v?)

It looks like one of the DICE units will do this, but I am unable to confirm from this thread

With a cassette adapter, I have an intolerable amount of interfearance from the GSM radio in the phone (intermittant audio noise). Are the direct links better on the monsoon?

Thanks

15. 10-09-2007 06:02 PM #155
      I belive I spoke to you earlier today, but in answer to your question I belive the DICE unit used in the "simple" mode will best suit your needs

16. 10-18-2007 10:56 AM #156
      So I did the connection of an OEM VW ipod adapter to 2006 Passat. It took me about 2 hours because of that brown ground cable. After 1 1/2 hours and help from a relative and alot of help from this forum I pulled it out. BTW I fried the 15V fuse for the radio. Remember to remove it.

The only thing is I need to know if there is something I can do to have full ipod control thru the radio? I can only see the five play list folders and the 6th folder for all the songs.

17. 10-19-2007 06:37 PM #157
      So I just purchased the Dension icelink Gateway 400 for my '07 GTI with nav/sat/CD changer so that I could retain each of these functions. It has a video output, and I have an iPod with video capability. Is there any way to connect the iPod to the OEM nav system for video playback? There's mention of a TV tuner port on the back of the HU for other iPod integration uses (MK5 Nav IPOD); might this be used for video access in my vehicle? What type of display on nav screen should I expect while using my iPod with the Gateway 400?

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Jetta GLS VR6
      10-19-2007 08:24 PM #158
      I have the non monsoon single DIN stereo & the single DIN CD Player with no Phatbox or CD Changer & an 80gb iPod Video (5.5G).
      Is the M-Link1 V3 what I need? http://enfigcarstereo.com/shop....html
      Or is there something else that I'm missing that's better? I like the cheap price & the US$ exchange rate too!

Modified by JR! at 7:28 PM 10-19-2007

19. 10-22-2007 03:47 PM #159
      Quote, originally posted by dendman »
      The only thing is I need to know if there is something I can do to have full ipod control thru the radio? I can only see the five play list folders and the 6th folder for all the songs.

the OEM unit is designed to work exactly as you have described, so there is no way to be able to acess anything but the first 5 playlists

20. 10-22-2007 03:50 PM #160
      Quote, originally posted by jumpdoc »
      Is there any way to connect the iPod to the OEM nav system for video playback? There's mention of a TV tuner port on the back of the HU for other iPod integration uses (MK5 Nav IPOD); might this be used for video access in my vehicle?

you can import video into your nav screen, to do so you will need an video interface, if you'd like to watch video while driving you'll also need an aditional part

we can provide both to you, but they are specail order parts

please contact us via phone or e-mail to discuss your options

Quote, originally posted by jumpdoc »
      What type of display on nav screen should I expect while using my iPod with the Gateway 400?

the Gateway 400 connects like an external cd changer, the display on the radio will be very similar to external CD changer showing disc and track info on the radio screen

21. 10-22-2007 03:52 PM #161
      Quote, originally posted by JR! »
      I have the non monsoon single DIN stereo & the single DIN CD Player with no Phatbox or CD Changer & an 80gb iPod Video (5.5G).
      Is the M-Link1 V3 what I need? http://enfigcarstereo.com/shop....html
      Or is there something else that I'm missing that's better? I like the cheap price & the US$ exchange rate too!

Modified by JR! at 7:28 PM 10-19-2007

that product will work great for you

if you don't already have a set, you might want to grab a set of radio removal tools to make the install quick and easy

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Jetta GLS VR6
      10-22-2007 09:36 PM #162
      great, thanks! Installation instructions are included, right?
      Thanks!!

23. 10-23-2007 03:39 PM #163
      Quote, originally posted by JR! »
      great, thanks! Installation instructions are included, right?
      Thanks!!

basic instructions are included for connecting the unit to your radio

you car is super easy, you'll simply remove the radio by inserting the radio removal tools, then plug the unit in to the back of your radio as instructed and replace your radio

24. 11-02-2007 01:09 AM #164
      I need to hook up my zune to my Double Din Monsoon in my 02' GTI, what interface do I need to go with?

25. 11-05-2007 05:25 PM #165
      Quote, originally posted by Kungfujap »
      I need to hook up my zune to my Double Din Monsoon in my 02' GTI, what interface do I need to go with?

you'll want to use:

http://enfigcarstereo.com/shop....html

+

and don't forget the radio removal tools

you'll need 2 pairs of these:

26. 11-14-2007 09:46 PM #166
      John, I was following the IPOD threads, but didn't see anything regarding the VW Touareg. I have an '04, with factory radio, navigation, in dash CD and 6 disc CD changer. I copied the info below from a previous post, but am interested in the same functionality.

"I've been looking for an iPod solution that ideally:

* Lets me keep that CD changer
      * Lets me keep my steering wheel controls for the radio/CD

If someone can recommend a solution that does this, I would be very grateful.

And if the solution also supported the following, I'd be ecstatic!

* Lets me control the iPod with my steering wheel controls too!
      * Has iPod convenience features, such as auto start/stop
      * Provides an additional aux input
      * Allows control of the iPod with the click wheel as well"

Can you help me?

Thanks,

27. 11-20-2007 11:10 AM #167
      Quote, originally posted by texskidude »
      John, I was following the IPOD threads, but didn't see anything regarding the VW Touareg. I have an '04, with factory radio, navigation, in dash CD and 6 disc CD changer. I copied the info below from a previous post, but am interested in the same functionality.

"I've been looking for an iPod solution that ideally:

* Lets me keep that CD changer
      * Lets me keep my steering wheel controls for the radio/CD

If someone can recommend a solution that does this, I would be very grateful.

And if the solution also supported the following, I'd be ecstatic!

* Lets me control the iPod with my steering wheel controls too!
      * Has iPod convenience features, such as auto start/stop
      * Provides an additional aux input
      * Allows control of the iPod with the click wheel as well"

Can you help me?

Thanks,

a great solution for you would be the dension gateway 100

you'll need to use the following parts:

Link to Gateway 100 Brain

Link to CD changer retention add on module

Link to ipod cable for gateway 100

the gateway 100 will provide all the funtionality you requested

Vehicles
      99 New Jetta TDI, 05 Passat 4Mo Wagon
      11-29-2007 05:51 PM #168
      I have an '05 Passat Wagon with Monsoon. I'd like to hook up an IPOD and Sirius Satellite Reciever. What components would I need? I don't have the CD Changer.

Thanks in advance...

29. 12-01-2007 04:58 PM #169
      I have a single-din 2001 Volkswagen GTI w/Monsoon and no cd changer installed (but it has the port for it of course). What's the cheapest adapter that'll allow me to control the iPod from the headunit (and thereby also from the steering wheel audio controls)?

30. 12-04-2007 11:34 AM #170
      Quote, originally posted by dsharry »
      I have an '05 Passat Wagon with Monsoon. I'd like to hook up an IPOD and Sirius Satellite Reciever. What components would I need? I don't have the CD Changer.

Thanks in advance...

would you like to use a portable Sirius receiver, or a hide away car unit?

31. 12-04-2007 11:36 AM #171
      Quote, originally posted by killahkosha »
      I have a single-din 2001 Volkswagen GTI w/Monsoon and no cd changer installed (but it has the port for it of course). What's the cheapest adapter that'll allow me to control the iPod from the headunit (and thereby also from the steering wheel audio controls)?

the USA spec units are now on sale, they would be a great option for you

USA Spec Pa11 VW6

Vehicles
      99 New Jetta TDI, 05 Passat 4Mo Wagon
      12-05-2007 08:35 AM #172
      I have a portable Sirius player that I'd like to hook up and an iPod, too.

Thanks

33. 12-05-2007 02:02 PM #173
      the USA spec product I posed above will work great for that as well, the PA11 VW6 features an ipod interface so you can control the ipod from the radio, as well as an AUX input to which you can connect your portable Sat radio to , you'll be able to quickly switch between the ipod and sat radio using the radio controls and you'll enjoy clean line input sound from both sources

34. 12-05-2007 03:35 PM #174
      How do you switch between the two? Would I be able to hook it up to the headphone port of my GPS and have the music interupted by the audio from the GPS?

35. 12-05-2007 03:47 PM #175
      you'll switch using the disc buttons on the radio

disc 5 will be the ipod, disc 6 will be the aux input

the unit won't automaticaly switch itself to the aux when the garmin "talks" though

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast