Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: J.D. Power Study Reports Over 200% Growth Expected for U.S. Diesel Market

1. Administrator George@Fourtitude's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      2013 Audi TT S line competition, 1984 Audi 4000S quattro, 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
      04-27-2006 11:51 AM #1
      WESTLAKE VILLAGE, CA -- Global demand for diesel light vehicles is expected to nearly double over the next 10 years -- increasing from 15 million sales in 2005 to 29 million in 2015 -- according to J.D. Power Automotive Forecasting.(SM)
      J.D. Power Automotive Forecasting projects the global market share for diesel-powered cars and light trucks will reach 26 percent by 2015 -- an increase from 18 percent in 2005. While Western Europe has been a key driver in the rapid growth of diesel vehicle demand for the past 10 years, increased demand from consumers in other regions will promote growth during the next decade.
      "As a proven, cost-effective and 'off-the-shelf' solution, diesel has a head start over other emerging fuel-efficient technologies," said Alastair Bedwell, senior manager for J.D. Power Automotive Forecasting. "With energy prices at elevated levels and new regulatory pressure to improve light-truck fuel efficiency, a range of fuel-efficient alternatives to the conventional gasoline engine will be required. The United States and Canada are markets with enormous potential for diesel light-vehicle sales."
      The diesel share of U.S. light-vehicle sales is expected to increase from 3.2 percent in 2005 to more than 10 percent by the middle of the next decade. Conversely, prospects for diesel light-vehicle demand within the key Asian markets remains mixed.
      "South Korea and India are key markets for diesel growth in Asia, and the market in China is continuously developing," said Bedwell. "However, near- and mid-term prospects for diesel vehicle sales in Japan remain limited. There has been some rejection of diesel technology among consumers, despite Japanese manufacturers embracing the technology."
      J.D. Power and Associates expects a slowing of growth in the Western Europe diesel car market as some key markets reach saturation. However, demand in Eastern Europe is expected to eclipse that of Western Europe during the forecast period. While Euro-5 emission limits will not disrupt the diesel market, Euro-6 limits have the potential to negatively alter the fiscal relationship between diesel and its competitors. As a result, diesel share in Western Europe is expected to peak at below 60 percent of the new-vehicle market.
      Volkswagen is expected to remain the largest global supplier of diesel-fueled light vehicles, followed by Ford Motor Company. Additionally, Toyota is slated to be the fastest-growing global diesel new-vehicle provider from 2005 through 2015.
      J.D. Power Automotive Forecasting gathers diesel light-vehicle sales data from 50 global markets. An assessment of local fiscal, regulatory and technical demand drivers are used to forecast potential diesel sales. Consumer attitudes toward diesel cars and light trucks, as well as attitudes of key vehicle manufacturers within particular markets, are also considered while developing the sales forecast. Additionally, the cost benefits of diesel and its principal competitors for each market are compared with local factors -- such as diesel fuel supply infrastructure -- to achieve a robust forecast.
      With locations in Detroit and Oxford, UK, J.D. Power Automotive Forecasting is comprised of statisticians, economists and automotive industry experts who deliver timely, accurate and reliable vehicle-related forecasting information on a global basis.
      About J.D. Power and Associates
      Headquartered in Westlake Village, Calif., J.D. Power and Associates is an ISO 9001-registered global marketing information services firm operating in key business sectors including market research, forecasting, consulting, training and customer satisfaction. The firm's quality and satisfaction measurements are based on responses from millions of consumers annually. J.D. Power and Associates is a business unit of The McGraw-Hill Companies.
      About The McGraw-Hill Companies
      Founded in 1888, The McGraw-Hill Companies is a leading global information services provider meeting worldwide needs in the financial services, education and business information markets through leading brands such as Standard & Poor's, McGraw-Hill Education, BusinessWeek and J.D. Power and Associates. The Corporation has more than 290 offices in 38 countries. Sales in 2005 were $6.0 billion. Additional information is available at http://www.mcgraw-hill.com.

2. 04-27-2006 11:58 AM #2
      Awesome. Biofuels are the key.

Vehicles
      2011 GTI, 2002 S60, 1963 356
      04-27-2006 12:01 PM #3
      As soon as Audi sells TDI's in the U.S. i'll be in that 200%.
      Quote Originally Posted by jamie@vwvortex View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

4. 04-27-2006 12:04 PM #4
      Come on Honda, make my next CRV a Diesel!

5. Banned
      04-27-2006 12:04 PM #5
      Is that 200% with or without the Commie Air Resources Board states?

6. 04-27-2006 12:07 PM #6
      i think Biofuel, and E-85 are going to be major major advancements in the future.

Vehicles
      13 Accord, 14 Odyssey
      04-27-2006 12:11 PM #7
      great news! now let's see all the $$ car manufacturers are wasting on the hybrid fad and put it into development of diesel/e-85/biofuel engines!!
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack
      Supercars, like blow jobs, are completely pointless, and I certainly don't want to live in a world without either.

8. Banned
      04-27-2006 12:17 PM #8
      Hopefully the manufacturers are making a profit on each diesel they sell unlike some hybrids.

Vehicles
      XW30, NA, V227
      04-27-2006 12:19 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by James_K »
      Hopefully the manufacturers are making a profit on each diesel they sell unlike some hybrids.

Diesels only get great MPG because they're partially powered by anger
      "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."
      - Doctor Who (Fourth Doctor) "Face of Evil"

10. Banned
      04-27-2006 12:21 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by Sledge »
      Diesels only get great MPG because they're partially powered by anger

I wouldn't know - I don't drive a diesel.

Vehicles
      1999 Cosmic Green Jetta TDI
      04-27-2006 12:21 PM #11
      The future is diesel, resistance is futile!
      Quote Originally Posted by KahviVW View Post
      Wow, TCLers are not a photogenic bunch
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      My god...this thread is pure homosexual excellence.

Vehicles
      XW30, NA, V227
      04-27-2006 12:28 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by CosmicTDI »
      The future is diesel, resistance is futile!

Really bad Photoshop
      "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."

Vehicles
      2014 Mazda 3i Touring
      04-27-2006 12:40 PM #13
      [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      I often pass slow-moving Priuii on the right, my engine clubbing 9000 baby seals per minute while I do so.
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/292568.png

Vehicles
      2008 Pontiac G6 Coupe
      04-27-2006 01:02 PM #14
      Please MINI, oh please please please please...
      Bring the MINI One D to the States. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

04-27-2006 01:10 PM #15
      Calm down people. It says 10 years
      Market perception will be the biggest hitch. Fuel prices should help somewhat though [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      I think I just made the most redundant post ever
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

16. Member
      Vehicles
      99 Passat 1.8Tm
      04-27-2006 01:19 PM #16
      Good!
      VW needs some competetion for the TDIs to thwart bogus dealer excuses ranging from "limited supply" to "no one wants a diesel" given in the past 5 years.
      When Toyota and Ford start selling diesels, maybe this will force VWoA to reevaluate their marketing perspective for diesels. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      XW30, NA, V227
      04-27-2006 01:21 PM #17
      Quote, originally posted by ATL_Av8r »
      I think I just made the most redundant post ever

I've contacted the Department of Redundancy Department who I just called. You'll be dealt with shortly.

Vehicles
      1999 Cosmic Green Jetta TDI
      04-27-2006 01:21 PM #18
      I'll confess... I love the Honduh diesels they have in Europe!
      I [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emlove.gif[/IMG] the Euro Accord 2.2 CDi!
      Quote Originally Posted by KahviVW View Post
      Wow, TCLers are not a photogenic bunch
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      My god...this thread is pure homosexual excellence.

19. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      04-27-2006 01:30 PM #19
      Quote, originally posted by Sledge »
      I've contacted the Department of Redundancy Department who I just called. You'll be dealt with shortly.

That made me laugh out-loud!
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

20. 04-27-2006 01:46 PM #20
      Yeah, if the car companies ever actually sell any diesels.

Vehicles
      2014 Golf TDI wagon, 2003 Passat 1.8T
      04-27-2006 01:52 PM #21
      Quote, originally posted by 240nut »

Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel fuel is the key - all of the modern diesels in Europe require ULSD fuel. It's why companies like Mercedes, Audi, VW and BMW are waiting until 2008 to introduce new diesel engines in North America.
      As for sales, it's hard to imagine VW's diesel sales in Canada getting much better than they are - 49% of new VW's sold in 2005 in Canada were diesel.

22. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      04-27-2006 01:52 PM #22
      I would definitely choose a BMW 3 or 5 series with a diesel, an Audi A4 with a TDI, an Acura TSX with the CDTi motor. Without question.
      European and UK auto writers have overwhelmingly demonstrated that diesel CAN equal an engaging drive--and in some cases be preferred over the gasoline-powered equivalent.
      The fact that I can run on biofuel is icing on the cake.

23. 04-27-2006 01:55 PM #23
      Quote, originally posted by 240nut »

The domestic attempts in the mid 70s to early 80s pretty much tainted the marketplace.
      Anyone with a Diesel 350 Olds was in for a lot of nightmares back then.
      You couple that with the general lack of interest for about a quarter of a century due to extremely low gas prices, and voila: a vanishing marketplace for diesels.
      Every major car manufacturer has a diesel vehicle in its line-up. If Ford, GM, and DCX wanted to have diesels in the USA, it could happen tomorrow, but regulations exclude that.
      Pretty simple, the marketplace drives product, i.e. we get exactly what we want.

Vehicles
      Golf GTI 7
      04-27-2006 01:59 PM #24
      Quote, originally posted by MEIN_VW »
      Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel fuel is the key - all of the modern diesels in Europe require ULSD fuel. It's why companies like Mercedes, Audi, VW and BMW are waiting until 2008 to introduce new diesel engines in North America.

The key will not be USLD which will be here by the end of the summer. The key to future diesel sales in North America will be the price of fuel and whether or not manufacturers can meet 2007 and especially 2009 diesel emission regulations at a price point that makes diesels attractive for consumers.